A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
<3_my_Edward
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 9 ~ Theory

Post by <3_my_Edward »

1. There are so many humorous quotes from this chapter. The "zingers" keep coming. Which is your favorite from chapter nine and why?
Probably the part where Bella thinks she's a freak becuase Edward can't read her mind.

2. Do you think Bella is starting to regret that she flirted with Jacob in order to get information from him?
Nah, I think she has more important things on her mind.

3. Much of the chapter centers around the phrase, "it doesn't matter". Why exactly doesn't it matter to Bella?
That Edward is a vampire and could potentially kill her.

4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears givien that we know she only usually cries when she is angry.
I think she's crying because she's angry and frustrated that Edward doesn't seem to like that Bella likes him, and is willing to ignore that fact that he's a vampire.

5. The chapter ends with the famous "three things" quote. What exactly do you think was the point where Bella fell "unconditionally and irrevocably in love" with Edward?
Honestly, I think she probably fell in love with Edward the night after she talked to Jacob Black. When she had the dream and screamed because she was worried for Edward, even though she knew what he was.
"...I knew I was eager to get to school because I would see Edward Cullen. And that was very, very stupid." ~Bella
FrighteninLilMonster
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by FrighteninLilMonster »

1. There are so many humorous quotes from this chapter. The "zingers" keep coming. Which is your favorite from chapter nine and why?
"'My mind doesn't work right? I'm a freak?' The words bothered me more than they should - probably because his speculation hit home. I'd always suspected as much, and it embarrassed me to have it confirmed."

2. Do you think Bella is starting to regret that she flirted with Jacob in order to get information from him?
I don't think she regretted it, but I think she's sorely embarrassed over it and feeling guilty that she did it.

3. Much of the chapter centers around the phrase, "it doesn't matter". Why exactly doesn't it matter to Bella?
Because she's too far in with Edward, and already in love with him. Because of that love, she stops putting hsi bloodlust and species at the top of her priority list.

4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears givien that we know she only usually cries when she is angry.
Feeling rejected. Edward still holds back from her, and she doesn't know that it is because he believes she's too good for him and he's too dangerous for her. His words end up hurting her because she's insecure about the relationship anyway, and putting her feelings out there to have them seemingly rejected, in such an intense situation, pushes her emotions over the edge and makes her cry.

5. The chapter ends with the famous "three things" quote. What exactly do you think was the point where Bella fell "unconditionally and irrevocably in love" with Edward?
In the forest, when she realised that it didn't matter to her that he was a bloodsucking vampire, potentially fatally dangerous to her. It confirmed and sealed the deal on her love for him.
'Out of nowhere, she was perched on Jasper's back, her lips at his neck.
Jasper chuckled, shaking his head.
"You truly are one frightening little monster."'
~APPC~
futurevampire
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by futurevampire »

Hmm...'I hate driving slow.' is a good one and 'I hear voices in my head, and you're worried that you're the freak?' This chapter was so funny!
Probably, now he thinks she likes him a lot too and is going to keep hanging around her, plus she feels guilty because she was just using him, she didn't mean it.
She knows his secret now, and it was pretty much all that was bugging her. She is too in love with him to bear staying away from him, and it doesn't matter that he's not human as long as she can stay around him, it would be worse for her for him to go away than for him not to be normal.
She was pretty angry at him, and frustrated that he said, 'It's never too late.' plus he said it pretty harshly, and she doesn't want him to be angry that she knows what he is and doesn't care. (sorry about that part..)
Hmm...I think for most of the beginning, she is, she just doesn't realize it, and it keeps getting stronger. When he starts talking to her again and when she realizes how much she cares about him I think might be when she started to get too involved with him and there was no way she could ever stop loving him. It kind of builds up and just happens.
Edward and Bella Forever!!!<3 :: Lexicalia :: Team Esme!
Mafia: Natalia Gravano/Nat :: I'm on The List!! ~Marisa
aliacullen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by aliacullen »

"and you accuse me of dazzling people - poor jacob black" - its funnt and its true

yes she does. she is a honest kind hearted person and dont want to see people get hurt

becuase she see that he is a good vampire that have saved her twice so far.

i think she was in love with him the very first time she saw him.
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

"You accuse me of dazzling people... poor Jacob Black" (Edward) I love it because it gives us a hint of how differently Edward sees Bella than Bella sees herself.

Yes and no. I think she regrets that she may have hurt his feelings, but she does not regret the end result.

Bella is open-minded and able to see beyond his "face" and other external elements to the fact Edward is a caring individual.

4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears given that we know she only usually cries when she is angry.

Frustration probably, and anger/irritation that Edward doesn't understand her feelings towards him, and seems to want to discount them.

I think she probably realized she was in love with him when she went into the forest to think things through. I think her subconscious was telling her she was in love with him during the dream. She's been falling since the first time she saw him in the cafeteria, though!

Image Image Image
TillyWhitlock
Playing Thunderball
Location: Wandering through the forest hoping to stumble upon Jasper

Post by TillyWhitlock »

“I can’t sleep at all.” I think that is great. She now knows that he has to find something to do at night and it begins to worry her.

I think that she worried about it from the get go. She was worried it would send the wrong message when she started to do it. I was surprised she even considered it.

She knows there is so much more to him than just him hurting her. She knows that the last thing he wants is to hurt her, so everything doesn’t matter anymore. She knows he is falling in love with her and it doesn’t matter. She knows she’s in love with him, and when you are in love nothing matters but the one you are with.

I think the shock was finally settling in. I think his mood swings just took over and he seriously scared the hell out of her. She loved him and he was doing everything in his power to push her away. It just wasn’t working. So he turned to the one thing that he thought might work without realizing it. He scared her and she started to cry.

She fell in love with him the moment he saved her from the van. She could have told everyone about the exchange that happened between the two of them. But she didn’t. She kept it to herself. She loved him enough to protect him.
Garage,Bodyguard,APPC,EDC
"Drug" Dealer to THE 6. The price: One bottle of Honey or Syrup.

SarahGoddard~ The Best Lexling ever!
Twi-Twin=Kimmy
Kaitlyn8
Settled in Forks

Post by Kaitlyn8 »

"Holy crow!" i just think that is so weird haha

ya i think she was cuz she might have thought edward would get mad or back off if she thinks she likes jacob

she loves him so much she looks past all the "flaws" he think he has

she was so scared he was mad at her i think

when he saved her from the van
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tonya »

1. There are so many humorous quotes from this chapter. The "zingers" keep coming. Which is your favorite from chapter nine and why? "I hear voices in my mind and you're worried that you're the freak" It so funny how Bella views herself when she's obviously way off.

2. Do you think Bella is starting to regret that she flirted with Jacob in order to get information from him? Yes she regrets using him but she doesn't regret knowing the information

3. Much of the chapter centers around the phrase, "it doesn't matter". Why exactly doesn't it matter to Bella? Something in her is telling her that this is what she is supposed to do. Sometimes you just know something is right even though everyone else tells you your wrong. To her it doesn't matter what he his she'll risk her life to be apart of his.

4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears givien that we know she only usually cries when she is angry. I think she's scared he's going to say goodbye again and I guess that would make her made him making decisions for her

5. The chapter ends with the famous "three things" quote. What exactly do you think was the point where Bella fell "unconditionally and irrevocably in love" with Edward? This is hard for me to answer because I really don't believe in love at first site. I REALLY believe there was more significance to the electric current they felt when they touched for the first time in Biology in Ch2. I think Bella was infatuated with him at first sight then when they touched something began to change in both of them. They became bonded. That's why is was so easy for her to say "it doesn't matter" when she figured out what he was.
Lirpa
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Lirpa »

I have to say when Bella and Edward are talking about him being able to hear peoples thoughts. "I hear voices in my mind and you're worried that you're the freak" pg 181 :lol: Gets me every time

Yes and No. Yes, because she knows that she doesn't like him like that and Bella would not want to lead Jacob on. No because she got the information she needed and I don't think she thought she would be that good at it, flirting, that is.

She decided "it doesn't matter" what Edward is. She is in love with him, and when you love someone, you don't care what they are, but who they are. What they act like, how they present themselves, how they treat other people. Bella knows that Edward would never hurt her, so "it doesn't matter"

4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears given that we know she only usually cries when she is angry.
I think she is angry, that Edward doesn't want to hear how she really feels, his reaction was not very nice when she said "its too late" and that upset her.

I believe that sometimes it takes time to understand your true feelings for someone, especially when they are not always cooperative. So I think that she has been in Love with him from the first time she saw him, but just didn't realize it, I mean how many times have you "liked" someone and not become aware of it until later, when something provoked you. I think she become aware of it (not acknowledged it, but aware) when he stopped talking to after he saved her from the van. I think she acknowledged it to her self when she was in the woods.
Team Alice- Seeing the future since 1901
"Because only a vampire can love you forever."
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

the one where bella is freaked out that edwards driving like 100 mph and he says "i hate driving slow!" ya gotta love that!

when she had to admit it to edward, ya. in general, nope!

he may not be human, and despite his flaws she still loves him no matter what!

embarrssment....bella seems very prone to that...

in the resturant in port angeles. maybe before then, unconcisously but i think she stared to actually know it in the resturant.
Betting on Alice.