A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
newcullenkid
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 8 ~ Port Angeles

Post by newcullenkid »

1. At what point were you worried for Bella's safety with the thugs? Or did you have some idea that Edward would show up just in the nick of time?
i started luaghing because she just seemed like she was asking for it i don't know why but i was surprised when he came, i was happy he was there though

2. How did you feel about Edward's emotional reaction to the whole situation? Were you afraid of him? Were you worried for Bella?
i found it cute in a weird way because he is not human, i understood his reaction.

3. Were you surprised that Edward told the truth so quickly about his ability to mind read? Had you guessed that this was his secret?
he gave up once he realised how he felt for her and that the pull he has toward her was too strong to simply put off, so i wasn't so surprised

4. What was your personal theory as to why Edward can't hear Bella's mind the first time you read the book?
i had no clue like, i was just as puzzled as they were lol

5. Did it concern you at all that Edward keeps such a close watch over Bella? Did it seem somewhat like a stalker to you or did you just brush it off?
a little bit, but you get where he is coming from and how much trouble she gets herself in so it is understandable, and it further show his connection with her
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

1. At what point were you worried for Bella's safety with the thugs? Or did you have some idea that Edward would show up just in the nick of time?
I had no idea that Edward was going to show up. I actually thought that Bella might get attacked.

2. How did you feel about Edward's emotional reaction to the whole situation? Were you afraid of him? Were you worried for Bella?
I think Edward rocked! He was really mad. Can you blame him? I'd like a guy that cared about me so much that he was that pissed! Again - I am never aftraid of Edward. Ever. He isn't scary. Yes, I was actually worried for Bella's safety.

3. Were you surprised that Edward told the truth so quickly about his ability to mind read? Had you guessed that this was his secret?
I never guessed that Edward could read minds. I understand now, after reading the saga, why Edward would tell the truth so quickly. I didn't expect it.

4. What was your personal theory as to why Edward can't hear Bella's mind the first time you read the book?
I guessed that it was as Edward said. "Mayme your mind isn't like everybody elses. Like they are on FM and you are on AM frequency" I had no theory.

5. Did it concern you at all that Edward keeps such a close watch over Bella? Did it seem somewhat like a stalker to you or did you just brush it off?
I did brush it off, because even if Edward was a stalker, he was a stalker I wouldn't mind having. Plus, when Bella immediatly felt safe, I did too.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ashleygill03 »

As soon as Bella saw the Volvo I knew Edward would be close by. I was worried when the men started following her though.

I think he reacted pretty normally. I think that most any man would want revenge on someone who was trying to hurt someone they cared about. Hearing what they were thinking would make it ten times worse.

I thought he was intuitive, but I didn't know he could read minds exactly. I knew he couldn't tell what Bella was thinking which is why he was so frustrated around her. I didn't think he would so freely admit to it.

I thought it was possible that he couldn't hear her mind because she was different than all other humans.. there was something special about Bella too.

I think it sweet that he tries so hard to keep her safe. She is very accident prone.

* This is one of, if not my favorite, chapter of Twilight. I think it offers the first moment of real clarity.
Twifighter4Edward17
Settled in Forks

Post by Twifighter4Edward17 »

1. At what point were you worried for Bella's saftey with the thugs ? or did you have some idea that Edward would show up just in the nick of time ?

In the beginning when Bella was walking through the alley and when they started fallowing her that is when I started to freak out and ask myself were the heck Edward was but I also knew he would come but I was not sure when which make me anxious.

2. How did you feel about Edward's emotional reaction to the whole situation ? Were you afraid of him ? Were you worried for Bella ?

I think it would have been his normal reaction just because of the way he was before when he saved her. I was not afraid of him but concerned.And I was not worried for Bella when she was with Edward. I would have felt safe with him. The same reaction she had.

3. Were you surprised that Edward told the truth so quickly about his ability to mind read ? Had you guesses that this was his secret ?

It did not surprise me at all. And I probably would have not guessed it unless he said what I was thinking out load sometime. And then that would be my assumption.

4. What was your personal theory as to why Edward can't hear Bella's Mind the first time you read the book ?

I was not sure I just thought that it meant that they were meant to be together.

5. Did it concern you at all that Edward keeps such a close watch over Bella ? Did it seem somewhat like a stalker to you or did you just brush it off ?

I liked it. And i thought it was sweet and romantic of Edward. I would love to have someone watch over me like that.
Megsimadic
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Megsimadic »

I was pretty worried as soon as they spotted her to be honest. It just seemed suspicous. I did have a feeling that Edward was going to show up though.

I was pretty impressed he didnt murder those guys. I wasnt concerned for Bella at all, I was sure by that point that he wouldnt harm her.

I didnt guess the mind reading, but by this point he was ready to open up, he trusted Bella so I wasnt surprised

I had a theory that because she lived within herself most of the time...likes her time alone, I thought that she was blocking him somehow, that her mind was set to only show when she wanted it. Something like that anyway.

I was just in awe of it for the most part.
My Youtube - My Livejournal
Private Meg Shinigami of Jasper's Confederate Army

Team Jasper:He is my happy hormone
Team Alice: Because Im short and annoying too!
Stacia
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stacia »

I was slightly worried through the whole thing, I think. Not that anything bad would happen to her but...you never know what a writer will do to you, the reader! In the back of my mind, Edward was always going to show up....

I wasn't afraid of him, or his reaction - I wasn't afraid for Bella either. I thought his reaction was amazing. I loved how he pulled in right away and saved her...I thought how it played out was wonderful! It was tense and romantic at the same time! :)

Yes and no. It didn't surprise me that that was his secret - or at least part of it....

I don't think I really had a personal theory....the way it was described in the book fit quite well though...about AM/FM frequencies....Still....even after reading all the books, I wish there was a bit more to it...why noone can get in Bella's mind.....

Heck no!!! If I had that hot of a stalker....bring him on! LOL.... I thought it was very endearing how he kept an eye on her...like how he said before...she was a magnet for disaster...someone out there had to keep an eye on her! (How lucky for her that someone turned out to be Edward!)...It didn't seem like he was a stalker, nor did I brush it off....I just thought he cared enough for her to want to keep her safe...
LipsForeverSealed
Teaching Eric Social Graces
Location: In a black leather chair, that spins, *spin* weee! In Ireland

Post by LipsForeverSealed »

Basically when she started heading towards the quieter part of town was when i got worried. when 2 of them were following her I was like thats not good, but i thought Edward would appear on foot before the guys would even speak to Bella, And I expected some growling! :lol:

No I'm never worried for Bella when shes with him. I was a lil scared tough and confuzzed about his mood, i thought he was like mad at Bella, like a father of a troublesome teen daughter reacting to her foolishnes or something...

Well yes I was suprized but at the same time was like well he has to tell her now! yeah I guessed that, I thought it was like a normal vampire type thing at the time tough..

hmm I don't think I really have a theory about that just the feeling well thats lucKy!

well I didn't think he was stalking at the time just watching her through peoples minds from home and then seeing the danger he er drove really fast!
LipsForeverSealed
Image Edward Cullen
Melarian
Settled in Forks

Post by Melarian »

I was worried right from the start when those guys appeared, but I also was pretty confident that Edward would be there in the right moment to safe her.

No, I wasn't afraid of Edward because I considered his reaction quite normal, given the circumstances.
I was a little bit afraid for Bella, though. I didn't think he would really harm her but it seemed that he was pretty mad at her - until I realized that he was much more mad at the guys who had been after her.

I hadn't expected that this was his secret, but I wasn't surprised when he told Bella. His appearance in Port Angeles made it pretty clear for me that he had finally given up his defences.

The same as Edward's: That somehow Bella's mind doesn't work like other people's minds do. There is something different about her. That was the only explanation that made sense to me.

It didn't concern me at all. In fact I was happy that he kept a close watch over Bella because she definitely needs some protection. I thought it was rather nice of him to try and keep her alive all the time. It just shows how much he cares about Bella at that point already.
kaitlyncullen
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by kaitlyncullen »

well i was worried right when they showed up, that sort of thing is never good, ever.

i wasn't afraid of edward, i thought it was normal honestly.

well i knew he was a vampire from the start but i think he was so willing to tell her about his ability because he knew she'd keep the secret.

something was different about her, something more special. either that or he loves her too much and something wasn't working. lol. idk.

it didnt concern me, she needs to be watched, he's her protector.
Private Kaitlyn Cullen of Jasper's Army.
"Forged in war, born of death, saved by love." - Jackson Rathbone. <3
Elsbyth
Settled in Forks

Post by Elsbyth »

I think I was more hoping that he would show up. I didn't know how SM would write it, she could have allowed Bella to be hurt and then we might have witnessed Edward's reaction to such, but to damage such a delicate character that early in the story would have given the rest of the book a much darker tone.

Afraid. once again, heck no. If anything it cemented my serious affection for him. His love for her overpowered his fear for her and his anger towards those who would hurt her. It's a powerful thing to realize that your love for one person far outweighs your desire to annihilate those who would hurt them.

I felt like Edward believed that he could trust Bella. She didn't say anything about the car accident and his feelings for her were becoming overwhelming. Deciding to give into her was his final acceptance of her becoming an integral part of his life.

4. What was your personal theory as to why Edward can't hear Bella's mind the first time you read the book? I honestly thought it was a part of what made her so unique. The way she smelled to him, the way he couldn't read her mind - I thought it made sense and allowed them to fit together so nicely.

Well I have a theory about that - when it's the right guy, it's not anything like a stalker. You want him there all the time, every second, for every breath. When it's the wrong guy (Jacob) it's a bit like a stalker. The way Edward and Bella are each others match - there is nothing that would keep them apart. For him to forsake all others (family included) to be with her - it's exactly what she would do for him. Neither will ask that of each other but both are willing to give it. If Bella could, she would stay by Edward's side no matter where, what, or when.