A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Re: Chapter 8 ~ Port Angeles

Post by Jazz Girl »

1. At what point were you worried for Bella's safety with the thugs? Or did you have some idea that Edward would show up just in the nick of time?
Really, as soon as she kind of wandered away from the populated part of town. It is, by this point, absolutely clear that she attracts danger like nothing else. I honestly wasn't sure what would happen.
2. How did you feel about Edward's emotional reaction to the whole situation? Were you afraid of him? Were you worried for Bella?
Absolutely, I was not afraid of Edward or for Bella. Edward's reaction to the situation provided great insight into his mind and motivations. He clearly has some sort of connection to Bella, and dreads the idea of harm coming to her.
3. Were you surprised that Edward told the truth so quickly about his ability to mind read? Had you guessed that this was his secret?
I wasn't surprised at all. In the case of revealing his gift, I think he was relieved that that was the only thing he revealed to that point. I think he figured better "just" that, than the big one.
4. What was your personal theory as to why Edward can't hear Bella's mind the first time you read the book?
Not a bloody clue. I found it fascinating, though. Actually, more fascinating was the the idea that Bella viewed it as a shortcoming on her part.
5. Did it concern you at all that Edward keeps such a close watch over Bella? Did it seem somewhat like a stalker to you or did you just brush it off?
No. Clearly, if he wanted to hurt her, he would have already. I was kind of intrigued as to how he was able to keep such close tabs on her, though.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
rachelcullen86
Settled in Forks

Post by rachelcullen86 »

1. At what point were you worried for Bella's safety with the thugs? Or did you have some idea that Edward would show up just in the nick of time?
I didn't have any inclination that it would necessarily be Edward who saved her, but it would make no sense to kill off the heroine that early on in a book... I started to be worried about Bella's safety when it was clear that the thugs were following her & she had gotten herself lost

2. How did you feel about Edward's emotional reaction to the whole situation? Were you afraid of him? Were you worried for Bella?
I thought that Edward seemed manic, but I was still just very grateful that he had saved her

3. Were you surprised that Edward told the truth so quickly about his ability to mind read? Had you guessed that this was his secret?
Unfortunately, I had the outcome of the book spoiled for me before I could read the book, but I didn't think he would give up his secret so easily

4. What was your personal theory as to why Edward can't hear Bella's mind the first time you read the book?
I believed that Bella was very strong minded & that was why he couldn't penetrate her thoughts.... I didn't realise she was literally the only being to be able to stop him at this point

5. Did it concern you at all that Edward keeps such a close watch over Bella? Did it seem somewhat like a stalker to you or did you just brush it off?
I thought, hey Edward must really love her to be following her like that...but then I always seem to go for the crazy ones lol :oops:
"You smell just exactly the same as always. So maybe this is hell. I don’t care. I’ll take it." Edward Cullen - New Moon
ohmyedwardcullen620
Settled in Forks

Post by ohmyedwardcullen620 »

I started to worry when she kept going after the bookstore. Nothing good can ever come out of wandering on your own in an unfamiliar place. I actually had no clue Edward was coming. When she first said "headlights suddenly flew around the corner" I thought for a second it was Charlie xD

I wasn't worried at all. Even before the relationship between Edward and Bella began, I could tell he was protective of her and wouldn't hurt her.

I was pretty surprised, it seemed like he put a lot of trust in someone her rarely knew. (of course we know now that he knew much more than anyone else) Because of my friends, I already knew that he read minds, but still, how quickly he told her amazed me.

I actually thought it was because she was "born to be a vampire" so she was already given her supernatural ability ahead of time

I thought it was enchanting. She was getting taken care of by the most incredible "person" known to man. Who would get freaked out by that?

~If I could dream, it would be about you~
Nerd
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Nerd »

From the moment she confronted them. Lol. I was HOPING I was wrong and that they would just go away, but they were obnoxious from the stat. Plus, it's dark out, she's alone, and she's going in the opposite direction. It's a brew for trouble.

I was a little creeped out that he followed her, but glad he was there in time. I was definitely interested by his reaction. He had just met this girl a few months prior, but you could tell he already cared about her. And yet again, his temper peeked through. :P

You know, I wasn't really surprised about him telling her. It kind of happened in a conversation-y way, and the two characters have a very I've-known-you-all-my-life feel. I don't think I knew for SURE that he could read minds, though. I wasn't bright enough to catch on. :o I think I probably figured that he just followed her in his shiny car and THAT'S how he knew where she was.

I thought it was because of how she perceived herself. Since she thought her mind was so different, maybe it was blocking him. lol

I found it incredibly weird... I'll admit that it was definitely romanticized, but still weird. Lol. I knew he just wanted to protect her, but I kind of wanted to smack him and telling him he was acting stalkerish.
Skank Bale Image Let's roll! | Klutzy Chanteus | Official member of the Dork Squad
Visit here & here DAILY to donate to my city! | Thoughts of a Twi-hard: A Blog of Rants
sleepingshadow
Settled in Forks

Post by sleepingshadow »

I was a little worried that something was going to happen to her, but even if something had I knew it wouldn't be life or death (since you can't kill off a principle halfway through the first book in a series)--though I was worried for her general safety. I knew that Edward was going to come into play and save her once again, I just didn't know how or when.

He was a bit brash in the car and I was a bit nervous for Bella...but once he calmed down during the rest of the drive and dinner the pieces started falling into place and I had a better understanding that his attraction toward Bella was much more than a thirst for her blood.

I definitely didn't see that was his power and was surprised at his candor with his gift.

My theory on this was that he either can't hear her thoughts as a way to protect himself from her ...or...he wasn't supposed to be able to invade the privacy of the one person he's destined to be with.

At first I was a bit skeeved out by it...but as I read on I understood it was out of love and his passion to keep her safe and protected.
Sydflower
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by Sydflower »

I honestly can not remember what I thought! The first time I read Twilight, I totally forgot all my thoughts. I was just so into it. I think I kind of knew Edward was going to show up.. it just seemed inevitable!

I was worried about HIM. I wanted him to calm down lol. It was a little weird.

No I wasn't surprised.. I was just excited to hear more!

I have absolutely no idea at all. I cant remember what I thought!

I thought of it as cute lol. Like, aww he cares about her! But, then again.. these aren't normal circumstances!
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Post by sarah! »

~ i was beyond worried, because i have been in that situation before.

~no, i knew he was good.

~ YES! i was like DANG! but i was glad because it revealed millions of secrets.

~i knew it was something about Bella's mind.....

~ when you closely think about it, he technically is a stalker. but i couldnt make myself think that he was after falling in love with him.
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
4everklutzy
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by 4everklutzy »

I knew about this part from the movie, but I still got worried when she started going away from trafficked streets. It was getting dark, she was alone, but when she realized she was being herded, that was scary.

I wasn't afraid or worried for Bella because he wasn't angry with her. I think his reaction was an indicator of how he felt about her, that he didn't want her harmed, that he CARED.

I think that it was inevitable that he would tell her--he realized that she saw far more than he first imagined. I knew about his mind reading from the movie but it was really great to be able to know what he was thinking in MS.

Well, I think that Edward's right--her mind doesn't work like most people. I think that was the beginning of his interest in Bella, that he was intrigued by his inability to access her thoughts and he was determined to figure out why that was.

It does seem a little stalkerish, but then again, Bella is a danger magnet and I think that Edward genuinely was concerned about her. You get better insight into his motives in MS.
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Alphie wrote:1. At what point were you worried for Bella's safety with the thugs? Or did you have some idea that Edward would show up just in the nick of time?

1) The moment they came around the corner the same time she did. I got a bad feeling about the way they were acting. b) I suspected Edward would save the day.

2) I felt he was on the verge of killing them all(thugs). b)No. c) No.

3)No. Yes.

4) When she stated that she had some glitch in her brain which explained why she saw things differently than most people.

5)No. I felt he loved her and I don't know why other than the way it was written. b) I brushed it off.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
scarlet_forever
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by scarlet_forever »

I wasn't worried, I had some intuition that he would show up.

I had mixed emotions. I was at first scared. It reminded me of my fiance, he is extremely protective of me when it would come to someone doing something to me or hurting me. I admire this in men...there are some truley sick ppl in our world. If anyone has read Midnight sun it makes a reference to these so called thugs and what happens to them. Then I kind of just felt sorry that he couldn't just kiss and hug Bella right then, but of course if he did it would have ruined the book. lol.

I kind of thought he had some secret something, but wasn't really sure what. He is so in love he can't help but put this out there. He was dying for her to understand him, but at the same time scared...for her. This is 1 of my favorite chapters b/c he is just such a gentleman. There is such a passion already in that 1 chapter.

That she was 'made' for him and thats how it was supposed to be. I know...lame.

No, I guess i'm kinda like Bella. I brushed it off completely
Xx~Scarlet_forever~xX

*~* Do you think that I could be scary?*~*
*~* What if I'm not a superhero? What if I'm the bad guy?*~*
*~* As long as I'm going to hell, I migh as well do it thoroughly*~*
*~* You smell so good in the rain*~*