A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 6 - Scary Stories

Post by Tonya »

1. What was your initial thought about the fact that Charlie told Bella Goat Rock wasn't a good place for camping? Did you wonder what else Edward might be doing up there? No I figured he was hunting. Because I knew the book was about a girl falling in love with a vampire .

2. How did you feel about Lauren and her open dislike of Bella? B*%#@ I thought Bella was awesome for being about to step away and ignore her.

3. What was your first impression of Jacob Black? Did you like him? Did you get the sense that he was interested in Bella as more than a friend? Yes I likes Jacob and yes I thought he was very eager to impress her, an OLDER girl.

4. Why do you suppose Jacob didn't believe the legends of his people as readily as Bella did? He had never met the Cullens and he did not witness Edward stopping a van with his bare hands.

5. Given the fact that the stories about the "cold ones" were true, did you fully expect to see werewolves in the future books? Hmm I didn't give it much thought.
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

Alphie wrote:1. What was your initial thought about the fact that Charlie told Bella Goat Rock wasn't a good place for camping? Did you wonder what else Edward might be doing up there?
Yes

2. How did you feel about Lauren and her open dislike of Bella?
Typical jealous of the attention the new girl is getting

3. What was your first impression of Jacob Black? Did you like him? Did you get the sense that he was interested in Bella as more than a friend?
A young boy, He might have a crush

4. Why do you suppose Jacob didn't believe the legends of his people as readily as Bella did?
He didn't want to think his people were desendence of wolves
5. Given the fact that the stories about the "cold ones" were true, did you fully expect to see werewolves in the future books?
No
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001
Lirpa
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Lirpa »

1. What was your initial thought about the fact that Charlie told Bella Goat Rock wasn't a good place for camping? Did you wonder what else Edward might be doing up there?
I at first thought Edward had lied about were they went. I figured they were hunting when she talked to Charlie about it, although Grizzlies did not seem likely.

Not a fan of Lauren at all. I think she is rude, I'm glad she did not make the movie. There is always one in every grade and school.

3. What was your first impression of Jacob Black? Did you like him? Did you get the sense that he was interested in Bella as more than a friend?
I knew he liked her from the first time they were introduced. I like him alright, but have always been and probably will always be "Team Edward!" All I really thought when he was around was, "When is Edward coming back?"

4. Why do you suppose Jacob didn't believe the legends of his people as readily as Bella did?
He was just a kid. Didn't someone ever tell you about the boggy monster? Kids don't believe scary stories told by their parents. And it does all seem a little weird, maybe even a little fictional. But, Bella was looking for something to believe in, she had already ruled out the super hero theories, there was not much left for her to consider.

5. Given the fact that the stories about the "cold ones" were true, did you fully expect to see werewolves in the future books?
Yes, they had to come in somewhere.
Team Alice- Seeing the future since 1901
"Because only a vampire can love you forever."
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

1. What was your initial thought about the fact that Charlie told Bella Goat Rock wasn't a good place for camping? Did you wonder what else Edward might be doing up there?
i was confused. but like when i put the book down and i was thinking about it later, it hit me! "oh! he's a vampire! he's hunting!...uh-oh.. :? "

whatever! just back off, but keep you opinians to yourself....why does that sound farmiliar?? :lol:

as a said before, "what. a .cutie!"

he's probably heard them soooo much before he doesnt even care anymore! bella on the other hand just heard it and is more open to the subject.

thats what confused me! i knew there were vampires so.... where the heck are the werewolves?? :roll:
Betting on Alice.
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

No. I knew he was hunting with Emmett.

I thought Lauren was a snob who needed her face rearranged.
I loved Jacob Black the first time he showed up. I thought he was a very intriguing young man. Yes! He was definitely interested in Bella as more than a friend. I thought he was pretty brave and sure of himself to flirt back so openly...being 2 years younger than her.
I think it was because he had not yet been exposed to any "supernaturally unexplained" events. He might have also been reluctant to believe them because sometimes we aren't as proud of our family heritage as we should be until we mature a little bit.
Absolutely. You can't have a vampire without the enemy...werewolves.
rainbowcrayon
Wandering Through Town

Chapter 6 - Scary Stories

Post by rainbowcrayon »

No, I understood he was hunting, but did wonder if there was anything else out there.

I thought it was sort of the minor antagonist character the story needed at that point to carry it along, although she did intrigue me and I found all the relationship drama rather entertaining.

Remember I read New Moon before Twilight so I am naturally biased towards him. I was ecstatic that he showed up again in the novel and remember wanting him to stay in as a major character. However, as it is with Twilight, Jacob has to remain minor in order to preserve the contrast between Twilight and New Moon. I understood that his first meeting with Bella had attracted him and by this encounter at First Beach he noticeably has a little crush. This is rather entertaining, and it was interesting to see the base of the relationship that is developed in New Moon.

Bella has seen some freaky things in her time at Forks, and given her disposition is much more likely to believe in strange happenings. Jacob, however, has not seen so much, and is young enough that he wants to assert his own intelligence, and thus states his utter disbelief in the tribal legends.

I knew they were coming, and had picked up hints throughout Twilight about the possibility, although Stephenie Meyer has said that with the original draft of Twilight there was no intent of a sequel (New Moon) and thus can not truly be considered as foreshadowing, but I found it fascinating nonetheless.
If you're not really here, I don't want to be either. I want to be next to you.
black and gold, black and gold, black and gold, black and gold, black and gold, black and gold.
GlowingOne
Settled in Forks

Post by GlowingOne »

I thought he was hunting something...I wasn`t sure whether it was the animals or the hunters.

Another blond ding dong the witch is dead which old witch the wicked witch...(excuse my English.)

I liked him, just like Bella said, he was someone who was easy to be friends with. And I could tell he had a little crush on Bella.

Probably because he wasn`t as exposed to the Cullen`s as Bella was, therefore he just thought Billy was a crazy old man. :D

I totally didn`t see werewolf`s coming, and when I look back, it seemed pretty obvious that they were going to appear at some point... :roll:
"Sometimes I wondered if I was seeing the same things through my eyes that the rest of the world was seeing through theirs. Maybe there was a glitch in my brain." -Bella Swan
April Allen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by April Allen »

I thought that maybe he lied to her. Or that she didn't remember the right name Edward had told her. Like she said later.

I thought that she was jealous because the attention that Bella was getting.

I thought that he was nice, but I wanted to know more about Edward, so I didn't focus very much in Jacob. And I didn't think he was interested in Bella that way, not it that moment.

Because, for Bella, it was obvious that Edward was something else. But he wasn't going to tell her anything, so when she started to get clues and stories and possible answers, of course she believed in them.

Yes, I did.
"Oh, I'm with the vampires, of course." - Bella Swan
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

Nope as soon as Charile said it wasn't a good place for camping I knew it was for hunting.
Didn't understand why the dislike right away except for jealousy
Jacob seem like a sweet boy. Yes I did like him. Not in the book in the beginning. however in the movie I could tell
B/c it was just a old story. It like asking me do I believe vampires exist right now. My response no this is just fantasy.
I didn't know anything about the books I just watched the movie not knowing what it was about. It wasn't until I watched it the 2nd time that I was thinking werewolves have to be in the future.
Banner by TammyAZ
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by misskiley »

I thought maybe it had something to do with feeding or that they were invincible so bears wouldn't matter!

As much as I love Bella, it's nice to see that not everyone is so nice and accepting. Most girls are jealous and threatened by a new girl and aren't so friendly. I'm surprised Jessica can even fake her kindness to Bella so well, with how much she obsesses over Mike.

My first impression of Jacob is that he's really sweet and nice. He seems like he's trying to impress Bella by telling her about the treaty which he knows he really shouldn't.. He's such a fun and great character. He makes people happy.

Ever have grandparents tell you old wise tales before.. who would actually believe stories about vampires and werewolves. Bella was already questioning Edward on her own, thinking he was something but just couldn't put her finger on it. Jacob didn't know that, so when he told his story.. it all fell into place for Bella.

I didn't know much about Twilight before I started reading it, but no I didn't think there would be werewolves in the future. I was so engrossed with Edward that I kind of had a hard time concentrating on Jacob's stories.. I guess if I was paying more attention it should have been very obvious werewolves would be showing up at some point! lol