A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
'twahy-lahyt'
Lusting for Blood

Re: Chapter 4 ~ Invitations

Post by 'twahy-lahyt' »

1. Why do you think Bella doesn't want to go to the spring dance? She could easily just have said to anyone, "Let's just go as friends". Why is it that from day one, none of the boys appealed to her?
Honestly i think it was ALL Edward, becasue none of the other guys held as much interest to Bella as Edward did, even though he never talked to her after the car accident incident. That and I think she was really terrified of dancing cause she knew she would probably fall.

2. Bella asks Edward if he has multiple personality disorder because he either seems to be overly friendly or sarcastic moments apart. To what did you attribute Edward's odd behavior?
Bella. isn't that enough said.
Umm i think its because he found her soo interesting, and she always took him by surprise. It just made it hard for him to concentrate.
MissMagnolia
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by MissMagnolia »

1. Why do you think Bella doesn't want to go to the spring dance? She could easily just have said to anyone, "Let's just go as friends". Why is it that from day one, none of the boys appealed to her?
I think she was already infatuated with Edward so none of the other boys appealed to her. She didn't even want them if she couldn't have Edward.
2. Bella asks Edward if he has multiple personality disorder because he either seems to be overly friendly or sarcastic moments apart. To what did you attribute Edward's odd behavior?
I just thought he was being super cocky towards her. He could easy tell she was intrigued by him so he took advantage of that. I did find that odd because if he was just being arrogant then he would not have saved her from the crash.
ashiekins16
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by ashiekins16 »

She doesn't like dancing, she can't. As she states several times later haha :) But also I think after she meets Edward hes really the only appealing guy. But she won't go at all because she's not into dances.

I don't know. It was probably just the idea of Bella. He was intrigued with her. And he could tell she felt the same way.
Randomness Regular since #7 E<3B
Team Bill...er, no Eric..no Bill.. :)
EmeraldLace
Settled in Forks

Post by EmeraldLace »

She's an independent woman, so naturally she doesn't seek male attentions. Not to mention the fact that all the boys are total numpties and can't take a hint.
No idea.
*TwilightIsMyDrug*
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by *TwilightIsMyDrug* »

She doesn't settle for anything less than what she really wants, I think. Also, I think she was so intrigued by Edward on the first day of school that she really couldn't think about any other boy but him.

LOL, I agreed with her at this point. I think we can attribute his odd behavior to his sheer frustration with the whole situation. At this point, you can see that he want to be around her but is making himself not. His characted seems confused. And he is...
"You don't know how long I've waited for you."
Team Edward
Sturpherz
Wandering Through Town

Post by Sturpherz »

Well she clearly states that she does not like to dance! So I think that was the number one reason why she did not say yes to any of the boys. She also was clearly not really into any of the other boys at the high school... (I mean we were in her head, so I think we should know.) So I think it was a mixture of both reasons.

For the fact that he was a VAMPIRE and was fighting with him self at all times! Haha, It seemed to be pretty easy to figure out…
"The most important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become..."
silverstar
Wandering Through Town

Post by silverstar »

Well Bella knows she can't dance, and I would presume doesn't enjoy social events all that much. I think that none of the boys appealed to her because she wasn't used to how boys treated her, and there was no one exactly right for her (except Edward).

I think he was trying to keep her safe from his secrets.
Words to live by: "If you judge people you have no time to love them"
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lag28wa »

I think Bella not wanting to go to the dance had to do with a couple of things. The most obvious being that she is uncomfortable with dancing and dressing up where attention might be drawn to her. I think she doesn't like to draw a lot of attention to herself in general which is why she kind of doesn't like it when Mike, Eric, and Tyler dote on her in the beginning of the book. She is also painfully nice and makes it clear that she feels guilty and awkward having to tell a guy she isn't interested in them. I was the same way. I would have rather blended into the wall and not had anyone notice me, boys especially in high school because I didn't want to have to get into sorting out relationships. I also think that none of the boys appeal to Bella because she is so independant. She is used to being on her own, the "care taker" and not being co-dependant at all. A relationship is probably a hard concept for her, especially with her parents being her model.

I thought the same thing Bella did! I thought he was nuts! He was really irritating me at this point in the book, getting my hopes all up and then letting me down, haha! I had no idea what his deal was, and I don't think I totally understood until I read Midnight Sun.
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium
sachael
Cliff Diving with Embry
Location: Somewhere in Vegas having and argument with Riley Reynolds.

Post by sachael »

it was mentioned onthe first part of the book that bella does not like much attention and she does not like physical activities and dancing is a part of it (not exact words though)

i think he's like struggling on how he can read bella's mind and try to get info if she's already thinking theat the cullens are vampires or something..
ImageImage
Team J.ActionTwinnie:TillyWhitlock
A PROUD RANDIE and LEXLING
I Speak My Mindand i tweet too!
corinnejca
Wandering Through Town

Post by corinnejca »

Because from day one she was attracted to Edward, even if she wasn't completely aware of it. She also enjoyed being alone most of the time and I got the feeling she didn't like to partake in social activities, especially activities where you are being scrutinized for how you are dressed and how you dance. She is very clumsy and I don't think she wanted to draw attention to that fact while trying to dance.

I think he was just very torn with what he wanted to do. He knew that it was a bad idea to be around her because it could end with him killing her, but he wanted to be around her because she fascinated and intrigued her. This came out in his behavior. Half the time he was trying to push her away, the other half he was dazzling her and being nice to her.