A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
threethings
Phase Control Expert

Re: Chapter 1 ~ First Impressions

Post by threethings »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
This is my second time around reading Twilight, and I somehow liked Bella better.
I did relate to her, being so self-conscious and not fitting in. But I think every girl feels the same way.

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie?
They both love Bella immensly and just want what's best for her.

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets?
Seems to me small towns are nicer to newcomers, that being said I liked her friends. It's better to be overly-helpful than not helpful at all.

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward?
Ooooooooooh, definitley intrigued. Most likely because he never made a big deal of himself.

5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior?
Well he was in phyiscal pain, so I think it was completely normal, now knowing what I do about vampires.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?
Definitley hooked me in forever. See my signature.

Remember, this is my second time around reading it, my opinions may have been different the first time.
Last edited by threethings on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
■ E<3B ■ Banner Goddess ■ Taking Requests
ImageImage
KaylaMarieBlack7
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
I don't really think that I can relate to Bella much at all. I have been in the same time my whole life. But I guess I can sometimes be a clutz. I like to trip over things. =]
I thought that charlie was just someone who liked to keep to himself. He like his job. With Renee, i thought she was kind of sweet. She didn't sound like she wanted Bella to go live with her dad, but at the same time she was happy to be with Phil.
Well I like Jessica and Angela. They are nice to her. I thought Mike was nice to talk to her and all that stuff. Walking her to class and everything.
I think I was more intrigued by Edward. I wasn't really scared of him. I didn't really see anything scary about him.
Well just like the questions states. I thought it was odd. Weird that someone would do the things he did without even knowing the person.
6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?
Deffinetly. I usually don't get into books that easily, it takes me a while. But with this, i was hooked from the start.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
EllaMinnowPee
Settled in Forks

Post by EllaMinnowPee »

Alphie wrote:1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
I think I did relate to Bella right away, but it's pretty easy to relate to her.

My first impressions weren't that great of Bella's parents.

I was surprised that her mom would actually allow her daughter to move away; if my mom and I were in that situation, I think she would have postponed the wedding or just lived apart from her new husband until I graduated high school. To me it seemed like she chose her new husband over her daughter's stability. That's not something my mom would have done to me.

Charlie seemed to me like a loving but inattentive, bumbling father. I think he was beyond thrilled that his daughter was coming to live with him but not really sure of the reasons behind it.

To tell the truth, I wasn't really that interested in them. I was just waiting for her to meet Edward. I don't even remember which girl made the first attempt at friendship- was it Jessica?

I was intrigued by Edward and I couldn't wait to learn more about him and the rest of his siblings. It was obvious that he was the vampire that Bella fell in love with. I did not expect the vampires to be out in the daytime, and excited that Stephenie Meyer was not sticking to traditional vampire myths.

That definitely confused me. I knew that Edward and Bella were the central characters, so why he would seem to hate her so intensely for no apparent reason really threw me off. It was a nice twist to something that could have been too predictable.

I was hooked!
Twilove

Post by Twilove »

at first i was confused as to why she was even moving if she didnt want to but i related to the fact that she was trying to help her mom out i would do the same

just like most couples these days they had way to many differences and it didnt work

i immeditedly thought Jessica was annoying and Mike but Angela was the only one i liked because she was just nice to her and not trying to shove things on her

ive never been scared of Edward from the moment Bella layed eyes on him ive been hooked

i already knew he was a Vampire so ya

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?well the whole story line didnt hook me but i defnetly wanted to here more about Edward so thats really what motivated me to keep reading
gokrazy323
Settled in Forks

Post by gokrazy323 »

* The funny part about this question is I never actually felt related to bella. most of the choices she made, or things she said i personally would have done differently. but i love her and her perspective anyway! :]

* Renee never really stuck out in my mind. She just seemed there. But Charlie is a relateable character. for any father living with a teenage girl, he defenetly handled it like most dads would have.

* haha i love mike. i have no idea why but his character and him always being so desperate to please bella was just really entertaining. i also loved angela from the moment stephenie described her, she was always a true friend to bella.

* ha oh boy i was defenetly intrigued by Edward. without a doubt.

* well some of my friends ruined the book for me so i expected it :[. but at the same time it was necessary for him. there wasnt much else he could have done that would have maken sence.

* i was beyond hooked from the first sentence.
Last edited by gokrazy323 on Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
katherine.cullen
Settled in Forks

Post by katherine.cullen »

yes i did.
bella and i are actually very similar. Like her, I left one of my parents to live with the other when I was seventeen by my own choice. I moved from my father to my mother, and my mother actually lives in a place that I have always detested the same way Bella detested Forks.
Also I am very clumsy and I have brown hair.

Renee, I think is a very good mother who lets Bella make her own decisions.
Charlie is quiet and simple. But he loves Bella very much.

I never really liked Jessica, she seemed from the very beginning kind of the jealous type.
Angela, I have always thought, is a genuine and sweet girl.
Mike is the typical teenage boy. Friendly, but always has thoughts of something more with a girl in the back of his mind.

Intrigued.
Definatly.

I figured he wanted to eat her or something.
I read Twilight before all the hype even started so I really didnt know what the story was about. But I did know it was about vampires.

I was hooked.
I couldnt put it down!
And the second and third time I read it, it was the same!
amandaxcullen

Post by amandaxcullen »

I'm not a person who likes the center of attention because, for the same reason, I am a total klutz and I know what it's like to be the new kid at a school where everybody knows everybody.

They seemed almost too opposite to be married so I could see why it didn't work out.

I kinda had the idea that Jessica was jealous of Bella, but I thought that she should've gave Mike more credit lol

Intrigued.

I had no idea what his problem was, I found it very annoying and if I was Bella I would've just turned around and been like "What is your issue!?"

Yes, I had to know more about Edward and what their relationship would be like, if it would even exist.
Team Jacob!
Because a space heater has more potential than a rock.
bite_me
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by bite_me »

I can't remember, really. I didn't really relate to her until later, when she was in love with edward (and so was i) but i liked her at the beginning. But i really couldn't understand the whole "i sent myself to Forks' thing until a while after she explained it to edward.

I picture renee as young and kind of wild, but charlie kind of mid-050's, so when I pictured them together I thought AHH! But then I imagined them the same age and yeah, I could see how they'd fallen in love. And fallen out.

They seemed like average, normal people. It seemed kind of weird the way so much detail was poured into them when they weren't major characters. I never guessed lauren would come to hate her. :D

Intrigued. How could I be scared - I read Twilight to get myself to sleep after a horror movie!

I knew it was because he was a vampire (stupid blurb) and i figured he wanted to eat her. *sigh*

Yes, it definitely hooked me. Unlike the first chapter of any of my own stories. :(
ImageImage
If they say it's tourist season why can't we shoot them?
StarEmerson

Post by StarEmerson »

Not really, I am alot older than her but she is more indepentant and grown up than me!! Also I have alot of siblings. But, I would hate the Forks weather. I live in England and it sounds pretty similar, its gross! Ha!

Loved them both, as soon as the characters are introduced you get a good view of Bella too, and why she is like she is!

Pretty much the same as Bella really. I thought Eric was going to be in it more. All of them actually when I think about it, as they are a big part in the first part of the book. You forget about them quikly.

Intrigued of course. As I obviously knew he was the Vampire and lurve interest ;-)

Really surprised actually, but I liked how it put a different spin on it.

No, I wanted to get in to it so I read it pretty quik. But the chapter that got me really giggly and like, YES this is really good was when they are in biology and have to watch the movie? It gave me chills and made me grin. But I have read the book loads now and love it more each time.
"Magic Keeps Us Alive"

OneDazzledLamb
Settled in Forks

Post by OneDazzledLamb »

I related to Bella in that I am totally accident prone. Later on, I loved the part where Edward tells her she can trip over a stable, flat surface. That made me laugh out loud. I could also relate somewhat in the highschool to college switch. In highschool I was "average", in height, weight, looks. Then when I went to college, I was more... desirable, I guess. But still saw myself as the "average" from highschool.

I wasn't so sure about Renee, but I immedately fell in love with Charlie.

I pitied Mike because I knew he was crushing on Bella. I didn't like Jess so much, but Angela seemed genuinely friendly.

Never scared, but quite intrigued. Why the silent hostility towards Bella?

:mrgreen: See previous question.

Oh, I was definitely hooked.
Image Image Image