A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
KayleeRyerson
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 1 ~ First Impressions

Post by KayleeRyerson »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
I don't know if I exactly 'related' to her, but I definitely loved her narration style.

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie?
Renee seemed okay, loving. Charlie reminded me alot of my dad!

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets?
Shallow, unimportant to the plot. She couldn't even remember some of their names!

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward?
Intrigued, plus I fell in love instantly. No joke, I saw his clenched fist as evidence of his desire for her.

5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior?
I thought (for Bella's sake) that he was being rude! How unlike him now that I know him. But I knew from the summary at the back, he wanted her bad.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?
This chapter indefintitely hooked me. I cannot even tell you how strong my desire was to read more, but it was my mom's book and she wanted it back.
What a stupid lamb. What a sick, masochistic lion.
Lauren Hale
Learning to Love Green

Post by Lauren Hale »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
-Yeah, i could definently relate to being somewhere she didnt want to be, and i think i would be a bit uncomfortable around people that i dint know as well.

-Renee seems a bit over protective and she seems as though she might not have thouhgt much of her daughter's
feeleings when she decided to marry phil.
I was quite a bit un sure about jessica, mike seemed VERY obsessive.

-i was indeed intrigued, but i think i liked him before bella even did, he really interested me.

-well, it made me really want to get to know more about him, it interested me. I like mysterious guys...:)

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?
Heck the first page hooked me!
Stupidshinyvolvowner
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stupidshinyvolvowner »

I did in some ways, in some ways I did not. First off, Bella is younger than me, still in high school, so that was a difference. I am extremely close to my mom and although I live away from her now, I can't imagine making the choice to be away from her when I was in college. However, something that caught my attention right off the bat was that she was moving from sunny, hot Phoenix to rainy cold Forks. When I first picked up Twilight, I was on my way home from Portland OR. I had just signed the lease for my new apartment because I was moving within a week from sunny hot Las Vegas NV to cold rainy Portland.

I thought Rene seemed a bit spacey and I didn't really understand why she was letting her daughter leave. Charlie seemed awkward, but like he really did care.

I thought they seemed nice. I thought it was good that they were so accepting of her.

Completely intrigued. I had read the back so I knew he was a vampire, but I didn't understand his reaction to her at all.

I didn't really understand it. I didn't know why he was acting to rude.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was about?
Well, at the time I was reading, I didn't really know there was "fuss" so I kept reading and enjoyed the story. Once I got off the plane in Vegas (see answer to #1) I had to put the book down for about a week because I was crazy busy moving. But it sucked me when everything go settled.
nirra
Settled in Forks

Post by nirra »

Nope, I never related to Bella. At first I liked her, but then my feelings of her nosedived steadily.

Charlie seemed like an alright guy, trying hard to be a dad even though he doesn't know how. Renee seemed like a flake.

I thought Jessica was going to turn into a bigger, better character. I thought she was going to end up being a good friend.

I was 100% intrigued by Edward.

I was very curious about his odd behaviour. I couldn't wait to figure him out.

TheLastVampirechic
Settled in Forks

Post by TheLastVampirechic »

There was a lot i liked about Bella, but the part i could relate to the most was when she didnt want jess to come with her to the book store, i am the same way i will be lost with books for hours and never notice who is with me.

I thought Renee was a bit ecentric and had a gypsey style peronallity, not the best for parenting, but enjoyable. Charlie came off as a very withdrawn type person who kept everything inward, typical guy.

I wasnt really fond of any of them. I knew Mike was going to be an issue, and jess seemed more interested in her as a novelty not a friend.

Definetly intrigued, i knew he was a vampire, that was the purpose for me reading the book, but the circumstances and rules are always different, so i was waiting for that to come out.

I really wasn't sure what to think, but i belived it had to do with physical closeness.

I was intrigued enough to keep reading, but not addicted persay.
"I dont want to die" he screamed. Sita leaned in and softly whispered in his ear "Then you should have never been born." -- The Last Vampire by Christopher Pike

ANNE RICE MAKES ME GAG!
Katie_Patie
Settled in Forks

Post by Katie_Patie »

I really did she was really like me a klutz, seperated parents, shy she was so like me it was scary. i thought she was brill from the begining
charlie seemed sweet and kind,he was so quiet,renee seemed quiet self absorbed
jessica seemed like all she wanted was attention,mike so obviously liked her, eric was sweet and quiet
intriged-he was so mysterious
i had no idea. i kept asking my friend and then was OMG i think hes a vamp!
( i didnt read the blurb very throughorly)
the first chapter hooked me asap
Stupid Shiny volvo owner

"And the lion fell in love with the lamb"
lovely_and_4ever_17
Settled in Forks

Post by lovely_and_4ever_17 »

Well kinda sorta, I related in the aspect that she was a teenage girl doing something to make the people around her happy but not the herself happy.

I liked them, Charlie more than Renee because I knew more about Charlie then I did Renee, but I could see they both cared and loved Bella.

That everybody was really nice and welcoming

Both I was scared because I knew this was a book about vampires so I expected he was one and intrigued because he wasn't describe the way I thought the vampires were going to be descried.

I was like you giant a** I didn't get how he could be so mean to Bella when she had done nothing to him.

Yes, I wanted to know what Edward would do I wanted to know how Bella would react to everything in her new life.
slayerchick303
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by slayerchick303 »

Absolutely. I related to the fact that she was clumsy, shy, and didn't like being the center of attention. She seems very similar to me in many ways.

Renee really reminded me of the kind of parent my sister is. She's a sweet person, but her child is more of a parent than she is. Wait, that came out poorly. I'm sure what I'm trying to say, I'm just having a hard time articulating it. Charlie actually reminds me a lot of my dad. It is so crazy. Charlie and my father are so similar in so many ways.

I immediately felt like Jessica was a phony. I also knew that Mike was going to play the "puppy-with-its-tongue-hanging-out-obsessive-guy character. We've all known people like that. Mike just had a lighted, neon arrow that pointed to his forehead that said, "I'm obsessed." I didn't really have strong feelings about Bella's other friends. I didn't really know them at that point and they didn't seem very significant to me.

Honestly, I felt a combination of the two. I was creeped-out by his behaviour toward Bella, but I was intrigued as to why he would act that way.

Since the book jacket said blatantly on the back, "Edward was a vampire," I thought that Edward probably wanted to eat/kill Bella.

I almost stopped reading the book. I got through the first 150 pages of Twilight and considered stopping reading it. I kept thinking why did amazon.com call this the best book of the decade? I was also very sick of the romance parts of the book. I thought enough... I get it... Edward's hot and they're in love... shut up about the romance already! I decided to "stick-it-out" because my friend had recommended the Saga to me so fervently (plus, I had already purchased the books). I am so glad I did because by page 200 in Twilight, I was hooked! I think I read the first book in 8 hours. I read the entire series in 5 days.
MANDI
Team Edward Forever!
ImageImage
E<3B
ment2be134
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by ment2be134 »

I could really relate to Bella. when i was younger i had to move for my family even though i didn't want to i didn't tell them that and they still don't know. I'm a really bad lier, if some one believes me then it truly is a miracle. I'm also really clumsy like Bella tripping over my own to feet, being the only one to get bitten by an ant, which is more bad luck than anything. some of my friends even say i look like her though my eyes are blue.

Renee, she was a mom who didn't want to let go but she knew she couldn't hold on. At least that's what it seemed like when she let Bella get on that plane, and you know she knew Bella was lying about wanting to go to Forks. Charlie seemed sweet enough, shy, and of kilter with his daughter, but willing to make it work.

I didn't trust Jessica, i really like Angela and wished Bella would become really good friends with her. Mike was really clingy and also seemed like he thought to much of him self.
well, not scared. i was wondering what would happen and trying to guess what he was thinking
and just a little shocked :o

it didn't seem that odd to me i don't know why. I always just thought he was interested in what bella was thinking even from the beginning
I was hocked. the first couple of pages were a little bit of a drag but it usually takes the whole first two chapters to get into a book, for me at least.
"Sleep, my Bella. Dream happy dreams. You are the only one who has ever touched my heart. It will always be yours. Sleep, my only love."
~ Edward Cullen

"she's diabolical" ~Emmet Cullen
lovinmesomejasper
Settled in Forks

Post by lovinmesomejasper »

Even though I'm considerably older than her, I related with her instantly. I loved that she was sarcastic and kind of grumpy.

Renee seemed a little nutty but I liked Charlie, it felt like he was trying to make the best of an akward situation

I liked Angela, Jess I go back and forth on, but Mike, Eric, and Tyler annoyed the heck out of me!

Intrigued, all the way, hands down, no question

It made him more intriguing. Totally weird and kinda crazy = unbelievably hot!

The first paragraph of this book hooked me. I loved everything about Bella's voice and I think Stephenie wrote a really really likable character