A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Re: Chapter 1 ~ First Impressions

Post by Jazz Girl »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
Yes, in a way. I transferred schools at the beginning of high school, so that part was quite familiar. Also, until I found my extended family in my junior year, I was totally an outsider in high school.
2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie?
My parents divorced early on, but they pretty much hated each other. I really admire both of them in a way for each trying to make Bella happy in the way she said was going to. We know better, but stil...
3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets?
I hated Jessica from the word go. She's so superficial and just wants to be friends with "the new girl". Angela seemed really sweet. I wasn't keen on either Erik or Mike, but then, I have issues with high school boys.
4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward?
Intrigued. I have always been one to try to at least ferret out the reason behind peoples craziness. And, he was definitely acting a little crazy. There had to be more there.
5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior?
I honestly had no idea what the heck was going on. He seemed indifferent in the cafeteria, but acts like Bella killed his puppy in biology? Makes no sense. Like I said, I was definitely intrigued. There was alot more to the story.
6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?
It didn't hook me as far as the saga. But, I was intrigued enough to want to at least keep reading Twilight.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
roseaurora
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by roseaurora »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?

I honestly did, right away... and the line that did it was "Sometimes I wondered if I was seeing the same things through my eyes that the rest of the world was seeing through theirs." (p11). I have wondered that myself many times in my life, I was amazed when I read it in this book!

I am also impossibly clumsy... the running joke among some of my friends is that when we are doing something (anything) I will find some way to injure myself.

I adored them both, but could see the struggle for Bella in relating to either of them, they are both so wonderfully flawed.

I thought they seemed fake at first. I have had many "new girl in town" experiences and I never had people be so nice to me right off the bat and it seemed odd that someone as shy and out of sync as Bella describes herself to be would be so "popular so quickly. But, I have also never moved to a place as small as Forks (though the place I moved to for high school was close).

Definitely intrigued, but I had also already seen the movie so I missed any suspense about what his deal was.

See above.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?

Because I had seen the movie, I was pretty much already hooked, but this chapter definitely kept me from putting the book down to take any kind of break (I ended up reading it in a day)
Wants to move to Forks and live with the Cullens forever.
Banner by the fabulous MRK
I ♥ my Lexily!
Titch22
Settled in Forks

Post by Titch22 »

Yes, I've been in a simiar place in my life. My parents were seperated and I ended up in a new town, new school and having to try and make new friends. So I got her immediatley.

Charlie seemed sweet his heart was in the right place and he seemed to genuinly care about his daughter. Renee seemed flighty and free spirited in a way that I didn't take to at first. It seemed bad to me that her happiness seemed more important than her daughter.

They seemed nice enough. Though I got Bella feeling over whelmed by their constant attention. Having been there myself. But they seemed like nice enough people.

I didn't know what to make of him I just thought he seemed really rude.

I knew why he was reacting that way so his behaviour was no suprise. I just felt sorry for Bella.

Definetley. I instantly wanted to read more.
rachelcullen86
Settled in Forks

Post by rachelcullen86 »

I like Bella have had the conflict of trying to decide which parent to live with & ended up living with my mum & then moving in with my Dad when my mum got into a new relationship so I was able to identify right away

I thought Renee was quite selfish to be honest, she allowed a man to come between her & her daughter...however, I don't think she truly realised what she was doing and so I didn't hold animosity towards her...My first impression of Charlie was that he was strikingly different to Renee but very similar to Bella

I thought they seemed nice, but I thought that Jessica was very shallow

I was very intruiged by Edward

Unfortunately for me, I had already had the outcome of the book spoiled for me so I wasn't allowed to truly appreciate it

I was hooked after the first sentence & haven't looked back!!
"You smell just exactly the same as always. So maybe this is hell. I don’t care. I’ll take it." Edward Cullen - New Moon
Kimmygirl23
Settled in Forks

Post by Kimmygirl23 »

No not really, not right away. She was a quiet to her self person, and I'm the opposite. But later
when you will learn that she's mature at a young age (kind of forced to mature fast) and kind
of thinks of herself as plain and her insecurities...I do relate to that.

I liked Charlie right away, but I also felt kind of sorry for him....I just
wanted to walk up to him and hug him. He seems so quiet, and....unhappy and alone...
And Renee...I didn't like her at al. Still don't actually...She's so selfish, and is ignoring
Bella's feelings...I mean if she would just pay a little attention, she will see that Bella
doesn't want to go to Forks at all....lucky she did though ;)

I don't know...I wasn't sure if they where actually friends or just wanted
to know Bella because she was the "hot new topic" in school

Intrigued, right away I wanted to know him

I had no idea what to think. I actually thought that when Bella en Edward
would meet the first time, he will be intrigued by her right away, but he did
the opposite, and I didn’t know why or what to think (although I did already
know he was a vampire)

Hooked, right away
~TEAM EDWARD~
manderz9511
Settled in Forks

Post by manderz9511 »

1. No, I really didn't relate to Bella, I mean she's a girl comming from Phenix into Forks, a town in Washington which she hates, her parents are divorced, she is described as not having alot of friends at her old school. She was completly opposite of me, in my opinion. But as the chapter continued, more personality traites were discovered, she is some what shy, she blushes alot, clumsy, she bites on her lower lip when she is put under presure, which is something that I've done since I was 5. I reilized that I had alot more in common with her than I reilized, which helped me relate to the book more than I could imagene.

2.My first impression of Charlie was ackward, but as I read more into the book, I relized that he was a caring dad and, well Charlie and Bella's relationship isn't very comunitive, but it's like they still are close, they have a orignal relationship one that dosen't need taking to know whats going on.
I loved Renee, she was that crazy mother w[quote][/quote]ho you can talk to anything about, she did give off a imature vibe though and this is shown through Bella, Bella was, well, forced to mature emotionly at a young age because of her mom's crazy personality.

3.The first moment Jessica and Mike were introduced I said to myself, "Great, she's making friends with the popular group" I felt sympathy for Bella, because speaking from exspirences, the populars arn't always friends that you can count on. You could sort of say, I was waiting for them to ditch her after her news about her arival became old news, that no one cared about anymore.

4. Defenitly, Intrigued. We all knew that she was going to fall in love with Edward, the back of the book says that she is in love with him. We all knew that he was a vampire, but the way he stared at her made be wonder what was going on in his head about Bella. What did he think about this new girl that everyone was talking about?

5. Edward's odd, well odd is an understatement, Edward's rude behavor was shocking. All my friends ever talked about was how Edward was so... loving when it came to Bella. So that first day in science when he was glaring at her with the coal black eyes, and had his chair turned away from her I was thinking, "What the heck?!" I didn't know what to think, but I knew there had to be some reason behind it. The reason behind, took me by surprise.

6. You could say it hooked me, I wasn't in love with it, but I wasn't not in love with it. It kept me reading though.
sleepingshadow
Settled in Forks

Post by sleepingshadow »

I recently just finished reading the first book over the weekend, so I wanted to take some time to go through and get my thoughts down before I get too far into NM...

On some levels I definitely did. I moved from Virginia to Kansas my junior year of high school. Kids at my school reacted very similarly to how they reacted to Bella--welcoming (and sometimes overly welcome), general friendly, but mostly curious.

For Renee she really struck me as the kind of mom who would rather be your friend than your mom. A little bit flighty, but lovable, and very dependent on those around her (first Bella, and now Phil). Charlie, on the other hand, came across as caring, but clueless on many levels on how to take parent a teenage girl.

Jessica definitely latched onto her because she was the cute new girl and wanted to leverage her status. Eventually I believe they moved past this an did indeed become good friends. Eric was a massive geek in my mind, but with a caring heart. The tension between Mike and Eric was fun to see develop as well.

Intrigued and curious. I wouldn't say I was scared though.

The behavior was simply a way to be standoffish. He doesn't allow himself to get close to others and puts on a front.

Going into this book I told myself I'd read the first three chapters and then decide if I wanted to finish it (I did, for the record). I really enjoyed Stephenie's writing style and her vivid descriptions...but it wasn't until Chapter 3 that I really get drawn in and *HAD* to know what happened next. That's when I really began to believe--and subsequently believe in--the characters.
Nerd
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Nerd »

I think, for the most part, I was really intrigued with her character as a whole. I didn't necessarily understand her enough to know if I related. However, the quote "Sometimes I wondered if I was seeing the same things through my eyes" really stuck with me. I related to that easily.

I really saw them as devoted parents. The situation was probably difficult for all of them, even Charlie. Heck, probably ESPECIALLY Charlie. I instantly took a liking to him, at the very least. I don't think I had much of an opinion on Renee.

Uggghhhh. Eric and Mike! Lol. I knew those kinds of boys. I felt embarrassed for her just having to READ about her encounters with them. They are GREAT [fictional?] kids, but it's hard being the new person in the school and having somebody being over friendly. I was also amused that Eric didn't understand the concept of sarcasm. Ummm... I liked Angela. She was kind of like me. Jessica I could tolerate, but I didn't particularly like her.

Um... I was slightly attracted, actually. I have this thing for mean vampires. *Dig toe in dirt innocently* I love the nice guys in real life, but...the bad boys in fiction are my guilty pleasure. I was a little disappointed when he ended up being a really nice guy.

Hahaha. Confused, intrigued, and attracted. Sigh.

I was hooked. I had decided never to read the series, but one chapter in an I was a sucker!
Skank Bale Image Let's roll! | Klutzy Chanteus | Official member of the Dork Squad
Visit here & here DAILY to donate to my city! | Thoughts of a Twi-hard: A Blog of Rants
CullensGirl14
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by CullensGirl14 »

Not really, i've never been in her position, although i am as stubborn as she is, so i can relate to that.

I didn't actually think that much of Renee, mainly because we don't really see or hear that much from her at the beginning, although i thought she was quite scatty and almost childish. I felt that Charlie was more a parent who didn't want to be a parent, as he just let Bella get on with looking after him.

I liked Mike and a couple of the others, but i can't really remember.

Very very intrigued, i wanted to know why he was so off with Bella, when he didn't know anything about her.

Odd. To say the least. I was also surprised when he didn't come into school

I'd heard alot about the book and Stephanie Meyer in a newspaper article and i'd seen it on offer in WHSmiths, and i really wanted to see the movie, but thought i'd read the books first because the books are generally better than the movie, but from the end of the first page i was hooked and couldn't put it down. I had read about half of it in the hour and ten minutes it takes to get from my parents house to university by train
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountain, like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow. How did it come to this?
nightwingoracle
Settled in Forks

Post by nightwingoracle »

Mixed. I related to her clumsiness, her awkwardness, her maturity at some parts of her life and her immaturity at other parts. But at the same time, I never completed related to Bella throughout the entire series.

I liked Charlie. He was solid, yet awkward. He obviously loved Bella but didn't know how to relate to her. He was still hurting from Renee leaving him all those years ago. He was set in his ways but thrilled to have Bella there.

I thought Renee was immature and flighty. She was fun and you could tell she cared about Bella, but she was too wrapped up in herself to be a great mom...she's more like an older sister.

I liked Angela. I thought Jessica was a user, and Mike was just scamming on the new girl in town. But all three were very typical high school types.

Very intrigued. Edward has always been my favorite character in the series from his first introduction. Not because of whatever perfections Bella seems to think he has...but for his flaws

Well, having seen the movie first I had a good idea of what his behavior was about...but I really liked the description of it in the book much better than the movie...I can only imagine Bella being so frustrated and pissed and intrigued at the same time, trying to figure him out.

I had seen the movie, so I knew the general story of this book. Still, the chapter did intrigue me to see how it was all going to "officially" come together.