A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Chapter 1 ~ First Impressions

Post by lag28wa »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
I was able to relate to Bella right away, mostly with relocating and having to go to a new school where you knew no one. I was also able to relate to her because she was going to Washington, which is where I am from. Her descriptions of her surroundings felt exactly like home. Her opinion of her surroundings is a lot like I felt at one time, though now that I no longer live in the Pacific Northwest, I am much more appreciative that I once was.

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie?
My first impression of Renee was that she could be kind of flaky. Bella commented that she was kind of into a lot of things and her interests were always changing. Seems to me that she is searching for someone. I know she loves Bella, but I don't know if I would want to continue living with her if I were in Bella's shoes. My first impression of Charlie was that he was a good person, but a little clueless with Bella. It was a bit awkward there first few bits of interaction, but I liked him.

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets?
I actually thought both Jessica and Mike were very nice, even if Mike was a little bit eager. Having been in Bella's position before I can empathize with being happy that someone is helping you out, giving you a place to sit no matter who that person is. I have sat in the cafeteria at school by myself before...

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward?
Hmm I don't think either word really accurately how I felt about him at first. I felt cautious about him. Interested, but not sure if he was someone I want to get to know (but I knew that I should because he was supposed to be great) I was kind of thinking "How is this guy going to turn into the wonderful person I have heard about?" So I guess I could say I was more intrigued than scared.

5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior?
Haha, I thought it was odd! I just kept wondering what his problem could be. I knew that he and Bella would eventually fall in love, but I never imagine his reasons for being so distant from her in the beginning. I thought it was kind of rude and frustrating for me because he didn't really explain himself! If I was Bella I would be going crazy wondering what it was about me that bothered this guy so much.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?
Hmmm, I don't know if I was "hooked", but I was definately interested in what was coming next. It wasn't a total page-turning-gotta-keep-reading type of chapter like some of the later ones, but I wanted to continue to see what was going to unfold next. And I wanted to know what Edward's problem was! Ha!
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium
EmeraldLace
Settled in Forks

Post by EmeraldLace »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
No, I don't really relate to characters when I read books. I always stay fairly detached, though having said that I did cry while reading Chapter 3 of New Moon.
Renee - Desperately in love with Bella, caring yet childish.
Charlie - A bit useless, boring, typical man.
My first impressions were matched with Bella's.
I didn't know what to think, but I wasn't scared.
I just thought he was a bit of a headcase. ;)
6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?
I was hooked by the first chapter, my brand of heroine. lol
LaLaLauren
Settled in Forks

Post by LaLaLauren »

Easy. Klutiness
Renne, a good mom. Charlie, quiet caring father...
I think I didn't like Jessica, I don't know why...
Nope! SOme person won't randomly glare at something, so i knew there was a reason
what I said above
I planned on to keep reading, but I wasn't obbsessed.
"You're intoxicated by my very presence." ~Edward Cullen

SAVE MIDNIGHT SUN!
http://www.savemidnightsun.com/petition.aspx
*TwilightIsMyDrug*
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by *TwilightIsMyDrug* »

I related to Bella immediately. I grew up in a military family, so I've moved in the middle of an important year of school before. I related to her apprehension with moving to such a small town where people have been friends their entire lives. I also lived in a large city before moving to a small place. You feel like everyone knows all your business when you first get to school. It was frustrating. lol.

Renee reminds me of my aunt. Kind of flighty. Charlie, well I just love Charlie. He reminds me of my father and he really cares about Bella.

Similar to the way I felt meeting new friends when moving to a different High School my junior year.

very very intrigued. and a little scared...

I didn't really know what to make of it.

It hooked me because I couldn't wait to see what all the fuss was about!!
"You don't know how long I've waited for you."
Team Edward
NKistheshiz
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by NKistheshiz »

I actually didn't. The only similarity was that we were both brunettes. Are personalities are kind of polar opposites. I'm not clumsy like Bella, I'm actually kind of graceful. And she was taking a plane - by herself - and I hate flying. It makes me sick. I would never be able to fly on a plane like she did. I also would never want to live alone with my dad.

Renee seemed a little crazy, but nice. She also seemed like more of a child than Bella was. Charlie was like the quiet but sweet type.

I was actually really annoyed by Angela and I totally wanted her and Mike to be together (in the beginning.) before she met Edward. I thought that Eric was a complete and total creep.

I had already knew that he was a vampire so I was intrigued.

I was like thinking 'What the hell is his problem?' the whole time I was reading how weird he was acting around her.
It kind of did. When I was reading it it was no real big deal - like it is now. My friend wanted me to read it because she said it was good. So I did, and I finished 50 pages in one night.
Inquisitive and thoughtful,
she was the challenge he'd been waiting for;
a reminder that creativity runs deep like secrets.
silverstar
Wandering Through Town

Post by silverstar »

I think I did. My parents are divorced as well and live in a really rainy small town on the west coast. Forks sounded a lot like my hometown. I also know how it feels to feel as if you don't fit in, as I've dealt with that a lot.

I though Renee was a bit crazy, and not very mature. Charile however seemed like a nice, quiet guy who really loves his daughter.

I thought that Eric seemed creepy. Jessica sounded like someone that I normally wouldn't hang out with as she seems a bit snobby. Angela and Mike seem nice enough though.

I was intrigued by him.

I didn't know what to make of it actually. I thought he acted like a bit of a jerk quite frankly.

Yes, this chapter hooked me on the book.
Words to live by: "If you judge people you have no time to love them"
Nessie_08
Learning to Love Green

Post by Nessie_08 »

Like Bella, I'm extremely clumsy. I've also lived in Washington, so I understand how she felt about it. The weather was one of the reasons we moved south. Bella is the very essence of my ideal me. Her expiriences could easily be a daydream I'd had in Junior High.

Again, I saw a bit of myself in each of them. In Charle, I saw my lack of cooking skills and my love for small town life. In Renee I saw my one-track mind when it comes to new interests and hobbies, and my recklessness. She also reminded me of my aunt, whose name happens to be Renae.

The girls reminded me very much of my friends in Junior High. The "friends" like Lauren, who really don't like you but are civil enough to acknowledge you and sit at the same table. Then there were the "friends" like Jessica, who appear to be all bubbly and friendly and nice, but really just want more juicy gossip to pass around.

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward?[/b]
I knew Edward was a vampire. It said so on the back cover. It was also obvious from the back cover that she had fallen in love with him. I figured he wasn't going to kill her, and at that point I was mostly interested in how they would make it work.

I figured it had something to do with him being a vampire, but I wasn' t sure why he reacted like that to her, and not to everyone else. I thought it was just because everyone else avoided him and his family.

I was hooked from the first paragraph, when she mentions a parka as a necessity for her move. It made me laugh, since I lived in Washington for 5 years and visited Illinois and an Minnesota every winter for my whole life, and never touched a parka. Plus, it doesn't take much for me to get hooked on a good book, especially one written the way the twilight saga was. The difference between being able to finish a book and becoming obsessed with it is the author's ability to create a world completely seperate from reality, a world that can stand on its own, but still interacts with reality. I've seen this in books like Harry Potter, Eragon, Inkheart, and The City of Ember. But back to Twilight. Not every author can do what Stephenie did. I was hooked from the beginning. But I was obsessed by the end.

Click the Bunny! Take The Quiz! Join the Blubness!

mmccormick
Settled in Forks

Post by mmccormick »

I did relate to her I think, we are both very independent, shy and dont like to be taken care of. I really like the character of Bella because she is like average and very relatable. She is not someone who loves to be around people and doesnt really care what people think. The whole moving from a big city to a small rainy town not so much like me, I love the big city.

Renee was a typical mom, but also liked to have fun. Charlie was adorable and awkward, wasnt sure how to be a dad right away but was a macho guy and didnt like to show his feeelings.

Mike was annoying, but jess and Angela seemed perfectly fine.

I was the way she described him made he seem impossibly beautiful and interesting, I already had an obsession with vampires so it was so surprise I was obsessed with Edward as soon as I heard about him

Again knew it was because he was a vampire but I was not sure why he was being rude and all weird towards her and acted fine around all the other humans.,

I was not hooked right away around the 4th chapter is when I could no put the book down
rapidheartbeat<3twi
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by rapidheartbeat<3twi »

Not right away, but I identified with her since I'm from Phoenix :)

I could picture both of them, although, as the story went on, I got a different picture of Charlie.

I could tell right away that she was a novelty. I didn't like Eric or Mike. Jessica seemed okay at first.

Uh, intrigued, duh! You could tell that he was going to be a big character, plus Bella was intrigued, so.

I didn't know why, I was as clueless as Bella, but I had read the back of the book, so I knew he was a vampire and I knew that Bella would fall in love with him.

I actually read the first 7 pages and then put it down for 3 weeks. Then someone told me that I was crazy to do so and to quote "Pick it back up!!!"
"If you're going to have a lapse in control, I can think of a better place for it."-Bella-Eclipse
edward x lover
Fishing with Charlie

Post by edward x lover »

I can relate to loving the sun. I moved from Florida to New York a few years ago and I still miss the sun.

Renee seemed scatter brained and the exact opposite of Charlie. Charlie seemed aquward and sort of like he didn't know Bella as much as he would like to.

Jessica seemed nice and a chismosa (gossip in spanish) Eric seemed like a girl-aphobic and Mike seemed OVER friendly.

I thought he and his family (the boys) sounded shmexy. Of course I knew he was a vampire so he definitly intrigued me. However I can see how he could scare some people thought.

I thought he was insane and sort of creepy. My sister described him as swet and caring and I was like she must like the crazy type then.

I was still trying to see what the fuss was but Edward and the whole story fascinated me and I wanted to see how the story developed. You could say I was pre-hooked.
~Lee~
Team Ian because human guys can be perfect.
Team Edward-Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901
RDC<3