A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
ocd4edward
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 1 ~ First Impressions

Post by ocd4edward »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
A little bit, however I found her to be MUCH more self-sacrificing than your average 17 year old.

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie?
Renee - that she was a terrible mother to choose her boyfriend over her daughter. And that she was irresponsible.
The more I read into the series, the more this impression of her was justified. She pretty much just dumps her daughter off in Washington and is like, "see ya!" I mean, when Bella's in the hospital at the end of Twilight, she's in the room for what, 5 minutes? Then she has to go because this new husband is going to call??? What? Your only child is lying in a hospital bed with MAJOR life threatening injuries - Renee is selfish and childish. I don't really like her. her quirky, irresponsibility and scatterbrained tendancies don't fly with me.
Charlie is a good dad. I can relate that Renee broke his heart and split with his baby years ago - another reason not to like Renee - but he is also a bit selfish - leaves bella to her own devices a LOT. She's in town for 1 day and he leaves to go fishing with buddies. No wonder this girl got involved with vampires - she was BORED!

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets?
Pretty much what Stephenie wanted you to see in them - Jessica is shallow and (secretly mean), Angela is nice, Edward is gorgeous and trouble (what rebellious teenager doesn't love a guy like that?) I loved that Bella thought of Mike as a Golden Retriever. I totally knew guys like that in High School.

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward?
Completely fascinated. Although, if I didn't know beforehand that he was a vampire, I would have thought him a bit mental.

5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior?
See no. 4 answer

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?
HOOKED! Duh!
BreathelessVampire
Fishing with Charlie

Post by BreathelessVampire »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
I could not understand the first page straight away, i had to read it a few times before I could get a clue ....

I thought they were any ordinary parents, except Renee was easier to picture.

Interesting, since as Bella claimed, she wasn't popular in Phoenix.

Intrigued. Hello? We're talking about Edward!

Um, I thought he was acting all unfriendly, but I never knew there was something wrong with him(being the vampire)

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?[/quote]
I can't remember. I guess it hooked me up!
Team Edward. Team Jasper. Team Alice. Team Emmett
Because they are just plain sexy.

Trainee at Emmett's Demolition Crew

Member of Donating Blood To Jasper&Co.
BreathelessVampire
Fishing with Charlie

Post by BreathelessVampire »

I could not understand the first page straight away, i had to read it a few times before I could get a clue ....

I thought they were any ordinary parents, except Renee was easier to picture.

Interesting, since as Bella claimed, she wasn't popular in Phoenix.

Intrigued. Hello? We're talking about Edward!

Um, I thought he was acting all unfriendly, but I never knew there was something wrong with him(being the vampire)

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?
I can't remember. I guess it hooked me up!
Team Edward. Team Jasper. Team Alice. Team Emmett
Because they are just plain sexy.

Trainee at Emmett's Demolition Crew

Member of Donating Blood To Jasper&Co.
Gina
Settled in Forks

Post by Gina »

I didn't relate to Bella the very first time I met her. When she did start school, that's when I started saying "Hey girl, hang in there!"

Charlie I instantly liked, he reminded me of my dad.
Renee, I didn't really have an opinion on her this early in the chapter, but thought she should have saw through Bella and figure out why she was leaving to go live with Charlie

My Aunt lived in a very small town on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, and the people that she meets in Forks reminded me of all the people I met when I visited there. Very friendly, and the boys do treat you like a new toy!

Intrigued. Of course.

I got it right from the get go. Her scent was killing him.

At this point, I still wanted to see what all the fuss was about, I have a 100 page rule.
"I look at my… son. His strength, his goodness, the brightness that shines out of him—and it only fuels that hope, that faith, more than ever. How could there not be more for one such as Edward?" - Carlisle Cullen, New Moon
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by darkrider »

Yes, and everything. I'm exactly like her in every way minus the fact that I'm blonde with blue eyes.

I thought that Renne was the kind of mom who wanted their daughter to hate their father..at first. and Charlie, I thought that he was kind of a ..i don't knwo what i'm doing..kind of guy.

I thought that they were stuck up

intrigued..facinated! lol

I thought it was because she was sjut so close to him.

I was hooked at the first page.
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
prettyrey
Settled in Forks

Post by prettyrey »

NO. I am not as plain (for lack of better word) as she is. But, I was interested in her character and how it she would play out in the story.

I thought that Renee was very immature, but I am glad that she was otherwise Belle never would have went to live with Charlie.
I love Charlie, he seems very loving but at the same time distant.

Ehhh, I never really paid much attention to them. However, I did not like Jessica AT ALL.

I guess you could say that I was confused by Edward.

I thought he was over reacting. But come to find out, he was not!

I have to say that it took me a few pages to get hooked, and I am glad that I did
psugar
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by psugar »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?Yup, I think something about being shy and all

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie?I think they are good parents

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets? Suckish, except Angela.

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward?Intrgued, what was going through that gorgeous head of his

5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior?I was alright let's see waht happens

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was? Hooked me, wanted to learn more about Edward
Trainee of EDC-Let's break down some houses!
In my version of Twilight Jacob never existed!
sinamongurl
Buying a Better Raincoat
Location: My body is in Pennsylvania, but my heart is in Forks!!

Post by sinamongurl »

i loved bella right away...her personality was very strong and vulnerable at the same time...
i also loved how she was so enthralled with edward and her ego was hurt a little
because she thought he wasnt interested in her like she was in him

Charlie seemed so stuck in the past and depressed, obviously still in love with Renee
and he was such a good dad
Renee wanted to have a say in bellas life but was too absent to actually have a say
it seemed like she was superficially interested and bella played the parent

Jessica--totally annoying
Eric--nerdy...i imagined him with a pimple-face and braces, but i dont think he was described that way
Mike--hottie
Lauren--b*#@^h
Angela--best friend

definitely intrigued, wasnt sure what was up with the fist-thingy

he was annoyed by her or annoyed in general

oh yeah, like almost immediately
Team Robert--He is Edward incarnate!!
L.Cullen
Settled in Forks

Post by L.Cullen »

I did relate to her right away. Her internal dialogue with herself is very similar to mine. We seem to think in the same way. Brown hair, brown eyes, pale skin, hiding behind her hair. I relate to all of itf .

They were fine.

Didn't really give them much thought. I saw and related to just trying to get through the day .

Intrigued.

Well, I already new it was a vampire book. . . .

Hooked right off the bat.
mariebeth
Settled in Forks

Post by mariebeth »

I totally identified with her desires to not be the center of attention.

Charlie: Reminds me of my dad a little, in his quietness and reservation. Buying the truck for Bella was a loving and thoughtful gesture, and it warmed him to me straight away.

Renee: She seemed to be childish in her need for reassurance that Bella's doing what she wants to do, it seems very much as though she's never really had to grow up.

I really liked Angela straight away, she seemed so normal! Jessica seemed like quite a shallow person and Mike, well as Bella describes him perfectly - he's like a retriever :lol:

I was intrigued and interested, I knew that he was a vampire, so it explained the odd behavior at lunch but his behavior in biology and again in the secretary's office really intrigued me, and made me wonder what made him react to Bella so badly.

I guess I answered this in question 5.

It definitely hooked me, right from the start I enjoyed SM's writing style, which always helps :) and I enjoyed the way she writes through Bella's POV.