A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 1 ~ First Impressions

Post by Alphie »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie?

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets?

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward?

5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior?

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?
rain.on.me
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: Chapter 1 ~ First Impressions

Post by rain.on.me »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?

No, I didn't really relate to Bella right away. At first the only similarity between us was that we both have brown hair. I was kind of surprised that she was traveling on a plane by herself, because that is something that I would never ever do in a million years. I wouldn't even go on a plane if my whole family was accompanying me. I would also never exile myself to a place that I hated with a person I'm not really too comfortable with. But she's also sort of shy, which is definately like me. I don't really like expressing my feelings either.

Charlie seemed really sweet and funny. Renee seemed really immature and irresponsible. I can't honestly say that I like Renee. You'd think she'd stop doing such risky things when she has a daughter to take care of, but hey, what do I know? Also, I felt like she left Charlie for really no reason. I highly doubt she hated Forks do much that she'd be willing to leave her husband...Yeah, like I said, I don't like Renee.

Well, my regard changes for some of them later on, but my first impressions were that everyone was really nice and welcoming.

I wasn't scared. I was just really curious why he was acting the way he was.

I wasn't really sure. I figured it must have had something to do with him being a vampire.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?

I'll be honest, I was not hooked right away. However, I did really like Stephenie's writing style, so I continued to read on.
Jenny
Settled in Forks

Post by Jenny »

Mmm, yes and no, actually. I grew up in one town, with parents who were still together, so I couldn't relate at all to the divorce, visits, etc. But I could definitely relate to not wanting to be noticed or be the center of attention at all. Feeling shy around new people (even though it wasn't so much school for me, since I went to school with the same basic group of people through my entire school life). Things like that.

Renee was (and is still currently in my head) very flighty. I could tell she was a definite free-spirit and probably didn't realize how much she leaned on Bella. My only first impression of Charlie was that he loved Bella (ie: the truck) but was just extremely awkward with her at first.

I didn't really like Jessica from the beginning. I thought she was pretty darn spoiled and selfish. I'm not sure why I felt that way, but I did. I could picture Mike and thought he was pretty funny. I really really liked Angela. She seemed very quiet and reserved but I thought she was someone that could empathize with Bella and that Bella could feel pretty comfortable around. I wasn't a huge fan of Jacob. I thought he seemed MUCH younger than Bella. I knew Bella was a 25 year old in a 17 year old body and Jacob was 2 years younger than she was, but... I dunno.

Uh, intrigued, most definitely. Bella's description of him made him so... interesting and delicious sounding. lol

I wasn't sure what to make of it. I was very interested to see what caused the reactions he had though.

Oh, most definitely. I was hooked after the first time Bella noticed the Cullens.
ltxc
Wandering Through Town

Post by ltxc »

Yup. Her clumsiness and her lack of expressing emotions towards Charlie made me relate to her easily

Renee: She seemed kinda cool and mostly like a friend, not a mother.
Charlie: He reminded me of myself when he and Bella were going back home and they had the little emotions conversation, but they wouldn't really look at each other.

I thought Eric, Jessica, and Mike were annoying. Haha. I get annoyed pretty easily.

Intrigued. He seemed so mysterious and oh so sexy. Hahaha.

I thought he had issues that he needed to work out, but would end up falling in love with Bella.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was? It had me hooked!
|:|:|:avatar credits:|:|:| drunk_machine & sarahdoesdesign
xx mycoldangel xx
Settled in Forks

Post by xx mycoldangel xx »

no because my parents are still together, and i have lived in the same place forever. Although i do relate to the fact that small towns are the worst. And i hate the rain. Besides those two things, bella and me couldnt be more different.

I thought Renee was a little over protective and needy, and Charlie was unsure and probably not the greatest parent in the world

I loved mike. He was so funny. Jessica made my skin crawl. And Angela was nice, i liked her right away

Intrigued! I focused on everything that had to do with him once he showed up.

I had no idea! i was just as confused as bella.

Yes, it hooked me right away. Which is why i stayed up till two in the morning that night. :]
XxMoonstonexX
Settled in Forks

Post by XxMoonstonexX »

Somewhat. My parents are together, but I know what it's like to move from a huge city to a tiny town.

I felt that Renee was not able to take care of herself. And Charlie..hm.. well, i thought that he wasn't used to having a daughter, even if he loved her.

I didn't really like any of them. Mike reminded me way too much of my own life. Jessica already seemed like a gossiper to me, but Eric... well, I don't know.

Um... can I say that I wasn't either? Well, I am. I was really frustrated by him. I was basically yelling in my head, "What is his problem? What in the world is wrong with him? When do you find out that he is a vampire??". I wasn't too pleased with him. I was a bit angry...

I thought that he was insane or something... then I remembered the back cover, and gave up on that venue.

Banner for my story, Lullaby
spagirlval
Settled in Forks

Post by spagirlval »

I did, I too was clumsy while a teenager, and still am, and I have always thought of myself as plain or ordinary.

Slacker parents

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets? They seemed pretty nice.

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward? I was intrigued with Edward, kinda like everyone loves the bad boys.

It was kinda weird, I just thought he didn't like her.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was? Yea, I think it did.
[
Palena
Settled in Forks

Post by Palena »

I couldn't relate to Bella, really. She was going through a situation that I've never experienced and really the only thing we have in common is eye and hair color. How Bella narrated the story was really what drew me in.

From how Bella described Renee, I got the feeling that she was sort of a head-in-the-clouds type of person who really depended on Bella. I thought it was interesting how the roles were almost reversed in Bella and Renee's relationship.

Charlie seemed like a sweet guy, and it was sad that he still didn't get over Renee. I liked how things sort of settled into a routine right away. They both gave each other space and still went on with their lives with the occasional overlap.

Jessica seemed nice enough, and I've dealt with enough Mike and Eric-types over the years so I knew what was going on with them.

I wasn't neccessarily intrigued by Edward on his own, but just intrigued by the whole Cullen family.

Mostly I was frustrated because I had no clue what was going on. I mean, in the cafeteria, she's gawking at the Cullens and Edward seems to have a detached curiosity about her but it's nothing to get angry over. And then it's time for Biology and suddenly it's like she ran over his dog before school or something.

At the time when I read the book, I had no idea there was a Lexicon or any major fanbase for the books. I just thought it was a nice change from what I usually read. I'd have to say I didn't get hooked on the book until after Bella went to Port Angeles.
~Palena~
kimmeygirl
Settled in Forks

Post by kimmeygirl »

I had absolutely nothing in common with Bella. It was interesting to read about someone who was so different than me.

I thought that Charlie was a nervous wreck because he was working so hard to make Bella like him. I thought that Renee seemed like she just wanted to act younger than she really was.

I thought they all were very nice to help her because she was new, but I thought Jessica was annoying. I liked Mike a lot though.

i was definitely intrigued. I wanted to know more about Edward and his family. That's what got me to want to keep reading.

I just thought it was a vampire thing. It made me mad though because Bella didn't know he was a vampire. It was aggravating to read about him getting close to her, but then hurting her over and over.

I was immediately hooked :)
emilycullenx
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by emilycullenx »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with? I actually did relate to Bella right away; the way her and Charlie act towards one another hits home with me, if that makes sense.

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie? At first I thought Renee probably didn't care much about Bella, because it sort of seemed [to me] that she was choosing Phil over her daughter, but that thought quickly melted away. I really liked Charlie from the get go, though; him and Bella are a lot like my dad and me with the way they talk to each other and stuff.

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets? I thought all of the guys were so sweet; Jessica seemed pretty friendly, and Angela seemed absolutely darling. I really liked them all, even if some of them did tend to bug Bells a bit. Haha. Lauren wasn't quite the nicest, but oh well.

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward? I wasn't really scared, but I certainly was intrigued. I was searching for him the whole time Bella was explaining how all of the Cullens looked, and when she finally found him, I got all excited. (: I was eager to spend more time with him. They all seemed quite intimidating, though.

5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior? I thought it was a little intimidating, but still very alluring at the same time. I was curious as to why he looked so frustrated when he looked at Bella.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was? I was hooked from the very beginning; the back cover had me all giddy and excited. Haha.

I feel like my answers don't give my first/real responses to the story much justice, but I remember what I can with my goofy mind. xD
"every single memory is erasing;
going back to the times when we were strangers.
"