A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Twilightlover101
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 1 ~ First Impressions

Post by Twilightlover101 »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with? Yes, I kind of understood her motives and how she would have felt and stuff. Her clumsiness, her reasoning etc.

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie? I thought Charlie was a very guarded person who didn't really express his emotions as most people might, i didn't really know what to think renee at first. mixed emotions

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets? I thought eric was so chess club, angela was the rare sincerely sweet person in the book, mike was a cute guy with his head up his butt, jessica was obviously a social climber who would use anyone to get what she wants.

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward? I was intrigued. At first i'm like whoa what is his deal why is he so cold.

5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior? I thought he was an odd one and I really wanted to know who shoved the stick up his butt.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was? I was hooked alright.
viokagloring
Wandering Through Town

Post by viokagloring »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
yeah. i related to her from the very beginning. i liked how she thought that she was somehow different from everyone else. i think the exact same thing! i dont think im that awkward at sports and whatnot. just her personality i really related to.

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie?
i thought Renee was a bit unresponsible. i think? its hard for me to remember my first impressions. i felt like she was just dumping Bella with her father so she could be free to be with Phil. even if it was Bella's decision, did she really give her a choice?

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets?
everyone was so nice to her. Jessica kinda bugged me even though she was kinda helpful and 'friendly'. to me it was so obvious she was looking for attention. i related to Angela! the quiet sorta geeky girl on the side. Mike was such a cutie obviously interested in Bella. i felt bad for Eric though! Bella was so indifferent to him. and yeah someone above me said he was the only one described as unattractive. aw! and ugh! i didnt like Lauren. i hope i never encounter someone who is rude to me like that.

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward?
i was very much intrigued by Edward. im not gonna lie, if there is anyone who is good looking around me, i cant help but stare.

5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior?
i just wondered what he was thinking. why the crazy stares?! i would probably react the same way Bella did thinking it was somehow me at fault.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?
omygosh. very hooked.

...strong emotions can alter us in permanent ways.
Lieziewiezie
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by Lieziewiezie »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
Defenitly not. In the beginning I thought Bella wasn't really a worked out character, I couldn't see her move or act whilest I read it. Something I automaticly do when I relate to a character. Altough I might be even more clumpsy as Bella (yes it is possible), I defenitly couldn't relate in the beginning of Twilight, cause the character, for me wasn't that well put together in this specific first chapter we are talking about.

From Charlie I thought it was someone I would like. Not really expression his emotions real up front and you have to digg in between the lines to figure out what he thinks. I like that cause that mostly also means the emotions they do show are real. Renée emediatly made me think about the Carmens mom from 'The sisterhood of the traveling pants', not really an idea way. Maybe the same love-hate relationship mother and daugter have in both books. They relationship is extremly strong but you felt something stood in the way from living that strong relationship at the fullest day in and out.

In general feeling I had the thought there wasn't much going on in Forks. Everybody sees the new girl as the most interesting thing that happened in a while. I really didn't had an affection for any of them from the start.

Very intrigued! Edward was mysterious right from the beginning. And I very much digg mysterious guys!

I tought it was kinda strange that he had such strong feelings towards Bella from the first second he saw her. Cause that was clear from the start, it could be hate or love but it was something strong. And I wondered why, oh why he had those feelings without even talking to her for a second.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?
I really wanted to know the following of the book, the story defenitly seemed promosing. But if I have to be completly honest I thought that first chapter was kinda poorly written, so I mainly wanted to know what the fuss whas, yes.
Thanks MRK for the banner!
Is a proud part of the Gen Y Lexily to escape reality!
i.heart.twilight&hp
Settled in Forks

Post by i.heart.twilight&hp »

Yes. She loved the sunny, hot weather and also said she was different. I don't know if I'm as smart as her in Bio, but I definitely do feel that I'm different from most girls too. I don't like make-up and sometimes don't care what I look like. I feel plain.

Renee seemed so fun-loving and very motherly. Even though she's explained to be less matured, you can see that she still loves her Bell.
Charlie was almost like the awkward father. He still cared for his daughter, but was unsure.

I didn't like Jessica. Mike seemed nice, but definitely not for her. Angela seemed like me. lol Nice to meet you, but you're not suddenly the focus of Forks for me.

I was very intrigued. I would have been that one person to approach him and introduce myself....and thennnn get eaten by Jasper seeing as how he had the least control. lol, but very intrigued. Like I said...I'm different and not so afraid of other differences.

If I were Bella, I would have been scared, and probably said something. But reading it, it was almost funny! Especially how you sort of knew what he was already. But I would have been the same way: 'What did I do?' It was sort of funny to me.

The book itself had me at the Preface, but yes, no matter what I wanted to keep going.
I can spell love with two words: ♥Edward Cullen♥ {Major OCD}
Cause only a vampire can love you forever, right?
~Another dazzled Mrs. Cullen - Cause family is about more than just blood.
twilight813
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by twilight813 »

I did identify with her right away. I always feel like I need to get away alot so I bonded with her over that fact.

Renee reminds me of Susan Surrandons character in Where the Heart is with Natalie Portman. Just that cool mom, but really annoying. Charlie.. I wish Charlie was my dad. Hes protective, but yet lets Bella do what she wants.

Mike always annoyed me, so did Eric. Lauren I really need to know what her deal is, and Angela and Jessica would probably be my friends.

I was intrigued, just like Bella.

I think that knowing he was a Vampire before I read the book that I expected it. But I didnt understand the reasons Why he acted like that until later.

No I was hooked
Avi by Shel
Sisterhood of the Traveling Book
GM of Wingtears Non Veggie Vamp Cafe Member of Wingtears High Council
Gen Y Thread is <3
RakeyCullen
Settled in Forks

Post by RakeyCullen »

No. I mean, I don't remember if I related to her when I was in 7th grade and first read the novel, but no. We both have brown hair and are clumsy. That's about it

Hm. I kind of felt that Charlie was a bit disconnected from his daughter and I don't know how I felt about Renee

I liked Eric immediatly. He seemed like a good kid. I also liked Angela from the start. I didn't like Jessica or Mike.

Intrigued, of course.

I don't know. I didn't really think much of it.

Hooked!
Destani
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Destani »

Yes. Her relationship with Renee was similar to my relationship with my mom. I'm shy and clumsy and tend to put others ahead of myself.

As stated above, Renee reminds me of my mom so I liked her. She may not win the mom-of-the-year award but she genuinely cares about her daughter. Charlie is a pretty cool dad. He recognizes that Bella's almost an adult and doesn't try to step in and take over her life. He's not overbearing but he loves her.

Jessica was like some girls I used to hang out with in school. I knew they were using me but they were nice to me so I used them as a way to be included. Angela was sweet and someone I would want to be friends with. Mike and Eric were funny.

Intrigued.

Since I knew he was a vampire before I even started reading the book, I didn't find his behavior that odd (for a vampire). I was just trying to figure out how things worked because I could tell SM wasn't following a lot of the stereotypes.

It kept me interested but it wasn't an immediate hook.
Images courtesy of: http://robbuz.deviantart.com/
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

yes and no. I could identify with feeling out of place and not wanting to draw attention to yourself, and i could also relate to the fact that she was a regular girl, not a cheerleader, not particularly graceful, just, well, ordinary.

Charlie reminded me of my father, quiet and strong, very uncomfortable with showing emotion. I liked him right away. Renee reminded me of my friend's mother, A LOT! If it had been said that she fed Bella hors d'oeuvres for dinner, i might have suspected that SM knew my friend's mom.

I immediately disliked Lauren and Jessica. There was something about Jess that didn't gel with me. Angela, though quiet, seemed like a more authentic person, more of the kind of friend i could imagine Bella having

since i really didn't know a lot about the books, i was REALLY intrigued by Edward. i hadn't heard much of anything at all about the books, so it was all new and fresh and yeah, i really wanted to know more.

i didn't know what to think about Edward's behavior. I couldn't figure it out. it made no sense. until later. ;)

I was hooked after the first word, i think. i spent the next week doing nothing but reading. i forgot to eat, i didn't watch tv, all i could do was read.
(E.C.Is.Mine)
Wandering Through Town

Post by (E.C.Is.Mine) »

Not entirely, but somewhat. I've been in a place where I just really don't want to be under conditions that I don't want to be under, either. That's basically it.

My first impressions of Charlie is that he was sweet, kind of awkward, like it was really easy to imagine that he was the stepdad that Bella never lived with. I didn't really like Renee. She just seemed immature, and I didn't like how she lied about her feelings about Bella having to go (of course she had to do that but still, Bella knew the truth).

I thought they were okay, but obviously I knew those weren't the friends she was going to get so involved with. Like, of course you get someone welcoming you when you come to a new school, and that was Mike. He annoyed me to a massive extent.

Intrigued. I wasn't really scared, just because.. I wasn't? I don't really have the answer for tht haha. Or maybe it's because my friend was sitting beside me, reading Breaking Dawn saying "Oh my GOD! I LOVE EDWARD CULLEN!" So yeah. I was mostly intrigued to see what he would be like/ what role he would play in the story.

I.. don't know. I thought it was kind of weird, that he kept looking at her, but I realized something clicked between them. I knew they'd have to talk to each other later, but had no idea what the scent of Bella's blood/how he couldn't read her mind did to him.

Yes, definitely! I was so hooked after this chapter. I said to myself, "Wow, what's gonna happen?" I thought Edward was intriguing as I said before, so I was keen to find out what he really was like.
Suffering from bad cases of OCD and OBD.

Check out my fanfics. http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1699752/omf ... s-my-lover
Sohini
Settled in Forks

Post by Sohini »

No, not right away. I am quite different from Bella (not counting the frequently dazzled by a certain someone). Only I was shocked to read that her tear glands and anger are interconnected. :oops: It's the same *embarrassed* for me.And the clumsiness too. Otherwise I don't relate to her.

Renee--> a very different mom character. Cute, funny, but I would never ever want to be her daughter.
Charlie--> Warm hearted friendly sad father. I like him quite a lot.

The human friends, I did not like any of them. Though it was amusing the way all the boys came up to help her.

Intrigued, definitely. My first impression was, hmmm...this must be the very-hard-to-please guy (er vampire). So I was wrong. I thought Twilight would be mostly bout Bella trying to win Edward's love. *feels silly*
Come on, we can't all be Alices. :lol:

He's cool. I like boys(/vampires) who are brooding, slightly unfriendly and reserved. :mrgreen:

Hooked on. Stephenie's style was engrossing, really very fresh.