A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
stitches
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 1 ~ First Impressions

Post by stitches »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?

I did, when she says that she hadn't really ever been able to relate to anyone else. And how she wasn't "verbose". It made me feel less alone, knowing that at least she felt the same way I did.

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie?

Renee, I knew, was not going to be a big character. I thought she was kind of caught up in her own little bubble, and that she didn't even really realize how much Bella did take care of her, especially until she was gone. Charlie, I admired right away. He reminds me of parts of myself, bursting with emotions but keeping them inside. He is happy Bella has come to live with him, and he loves and cares about her very much, but he doesn't flaunt it. I think that makes it more meaningful.

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets?

I immediately knew that Mike and Eric both liked her, and it was obvious Jessica was a little miffed by her presence, and the attention Bella was recieving. I thought Angela was a very nice girl.

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward?

Intrigued, and completely curious as to why he threw Bella these murderous glares. I wasn't in the least bit frightened, just morbidly curious.

5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior?

I couldn't place it. I wondered about his mood swings, like Bella did. It made no sense to me.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?

I was hooked, first chapter.
TwilightRose1
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by TwilightRose1 »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?

I really did identify with her.. I mean, she was a bit of an outcast, and she felt scared that she wouldnt fit in. The scene where she explains how she wont let any tears fall until she thought about going to school is really really sad. I felt bad for her.. but I know what it is like to not fit in with the crowd.But she cool in a way... to me anyways.. the fact that she doesnt act like everyone else. She's unique.

I dont feel like we really got to know much of Renee other than about her new relationship. To me, the way Bella was describing her was sort of confusing. I felt as if she should have been a better mother and staying with her daughter, but also that she apparently loves this man enough to travel around for him..
Charlie.. i loved him. The way He was sort of awkward around Bella and didnt reallly know what to say was funny to me. I also like his protectiveness of Bella despite the fact that he is not a huge part of her life.

Pretty much the same as Bella's.. I mean.. reading a story from someones perspective you sort of get a feel of their emotions and become in tune with them ( at least I do) I thought the boys that kept following her were sweet.. but kind of weird at the same time because they just met her... but the girls seemed nice enough.. I just wasnt really sure if they were goingt o end up being life long friends or not.

I was DEFINITELY intrigued. I love mystery so encountering someone like him would be a blast.

I would have been just as curious as Bella.. I would keep asking what his problem was, or what I did to offend him. Its cute in a way.. once you realize WHY he was acting that way. :)

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?

It definitely hooked me on the book! Even just a simple introductory chapter.. Stephenie Meyers writing style hooked me from the beginning as well as the storyline itself.
twilightfan1
Settled in Forks

Post by twilightfan1 »

I didn't really relate to bella straight away because she's not really anything like me... but i did find it easy to see her as a real kind of person ( i know she's not real just so to speak!). She was instantly like a really believable character

Charlie seemed like a straight forward kind of dad who was just a bit uncomfortable at first with knowing what to say! i loved his shy, unhovering nature. at first renee seemed a bit careless with regards to her daughter, it seemed like she'd picked some new guy over Bella even though that isn;t really completely the case. as i got all the way through the books i started to get more and more annoyed at Renee - shes so flighty!

They all seemed friendly it was nice to know that SM gave a real kind of take on it rather than trying to make out people were horrible to you or it being hard to fit in because when you join schools in real life people are welcoming!

i was definately more intrigued. it's hard to feel scared of him after the description Bella gave of him edwards too gorgeous to not instantly wish you were Bella!

back of the book gives this one away. i figured to was to do with his vampire ways. i did wonder what it was about Bella that amde him react differently to other humans though

I was hooked from the beginning!
deltamuse
Settled in Forks

Post by deltamuse »

I definitely related to Bella. I was always the shy one and I had to move in the middle of my 7th grade school year. I ended up making friends with some of the popular girls at my new school even though I didn't feel like I fit in. I am also very accident prone.

They both seemed like they meant well, but Renee was a little too self-centered to be raising a child. Charlie seemed like he was learning about teenage girls the hard way.

They seemed just like normal teenagers intrigued by a new student.

I was intrigued. I think I fell in love with him before Bella did!

Had I not known that it was a vampire book and that he was going to turn out to be a vampire, I probably would have had a hard time figuring out what was going on with him. But since I read the book after the movie came out (I haven't seen the movie yet) I already had an idea of what was going on.

I was hooked. It was an easy read.
WickedEdward
Settled in Forks

Post by WickedEdward »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away, If so what part of her did you identify with?

The fact that she could never find people she fit in with.

I thought Renee was more like Bella's best friend rather than her mother. My Dad is kind of the same as Charlie.

Eric was nice and was genuine enough, though I thought Angela and Jessica were going to be the same sort of girls. I liked Mike but he was a little too eager for Bella.

Scared. I knew he was going he was going to give her hell before he admitted to liking her.

I knew what he was before I read the book so I figured it out as I read it.

6.Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was about?

Yes, I loved the way she wrote it from the beginning.
ThisStoryOfLove
Learning to Love Green

Post by ThisStoryOfLove »

Yes I did. Her shyness and her long brown hair.

I didn't like Renee because she was so unorganized and put a lot of responsibility on Bella. I loved Charlie right away, I could tell that he was sweet!

They all seemed like very typical high school students, so they all kind of annoyed me.

Intrigued, I was so fascinated by him from the very beginning, much like Bella is.

Well, the back of the book gave a lot of the plot away so I could guess why he was acting the way that he was.

Nope, I was hooked.

"Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you."
-Edward, Midnight Sun
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

Yes I did. Her looks(the pale, pale skin, long brown hair). And her personality. Shy and caring.

That they weren't on good terms with each other. I thought Charlie would be the weird, overbearing father and Renee one of those free-sprited hippy moms.
That she wouldn't need them any longer because I knew Edward would eventually step in(the blurb DUH!).

SUPER, SUPER, SUPER, intrigued. ;)

I thought exactly what I thought I would. He was restraining himself from killing Bella.

HOOKED HOOKED HOOKED. :)
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

-yes ! i related with her clumsiness and quietness.

-i thought renee was childish and was somone who always needed to be taken care of and then i thought charlie was just a quiet man who didnt really know that much about his daughter.

-i thought they were kind of fake and they were all trying to hard to get bella's attention (except for angela, she was really sweet)

-oh, definetly intrigued ! haha.

-i figured it had something to do with him being a vampire. you know, from the back of the book.

-i was hooked ! i wanted to find out more about edward and bella.
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
Black Rose
Learning to Love Green

Post by Black Rose »

I related to Bella at first sentence. My friends swore that Bella is just me with brown hair. She is quiet and kinda shy, not wanting much attention. And her clumsiness was definatly something I have to deal with every day too.

My first impression of Renee was that she seemed a really excited mother to have, that she though after she had already acted, but that she was also very caring and motherly at heart. I really didn't have much of an impression of Charlie except that he was quiet and awkwared like his daughter.

I got really annoyed really quickly with Eric. I guess it was just his personality that got on my every last nerve. Tyler seened alright, though I wasn't very impressed with him. Jessica seemed nice enough. Talkitive and hyper, but I personally liked her. I really liked Angela though. She just had that kind personality that would make any new girl hurry to. And last but not least, Mike. He was a little over the top, but I still have a soft spot for him because the poor guy just didn't have a chance against Edward.

I was more confused than anything, though I had to remember that he wasn't human and that he was allowed to be alittle different than everyone else. But I was more intrigued than out right scared.

I thought that it had something to do with him being a vampire, though at the time I had no idea what.

I knew that it was very well-written, and that it was a great introduction, but nothing truely caught my attention.
simple_love♫
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by simple_love♫ »

yeah.. I have the long dark hair and fair skin and I am soooo very clumsy. I am a bit more outgoing than Bella is though

Renee seemed to sacrafice so much for Bella to stay and was willing to keep doing so if Bella didn't want to go to Forks and Charlie was very clearly still in love with Renee

... they were different.. a very energetic/overly friendly group..

intrigued/annoyed -- came across as a jerk.

I wasn't fond of him at first...

I was hooked. the book wasn't really popular where I live when I read it. so people thought I was going goth carrying that book around... then a few months later everyone had it.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノKitty.