A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Asheleyo
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Chapter 1 ~ First Impressions

Post by Asheleyo »

furrynfun wrote:This site has become so mainstream:P I like the old version with the original twilight fans not the Robert Pattinson lovers who've only seen the movie:P

Anyway I have noticed some MAJOR similarities bewtween Twilight and HBO's True Blood
the main charachter
Sookie can read minds except for Bill's...just like Edward and Bella in Twilight

Sookie falls in love with a vampire..So does Bella

Sookie's friend Sam is in love with her...just like Jacob is in love with Bella

Sam is a Shape Shifter....Just like Jacob

And they are both fighting for the girl!

And in True Blood, Sam talks about imprinting. Which is also copied in Twilight!

Also Bill was turned into a vampire by a beautiful women during the Civil War........JUST LIKE JASPER!

The Sookie Stackhouse series started way before Twilight so Stephanie Meyer obviously got lots of ideas form True Blood
I agree there are lots of similarities, but I think the setting makes all the difference. What I like about True Blood is the idea of vampires being known about and being considered by most humans as subhuman and discriminating against them. It's a whole different world to live with the common knowledge of their existence than it is to deal with someone finding out that what should just be myth is reality but having to hide it from everyone they know.

I think the feel of the stories is completely different and that's why I could care less what aspects are borrowed from where. And half of those could just be coincidental anyway, especially the love triangles. Those are all over the place in literature and other media.
Precisely because death awaits us in the end, we must live fully.

Stars did fly toward each other, irresistibly, as if they were falling in love. And millions of years later, lovers on Earth drew together and fell in love, watching the stars fall.
Emmett_Pwnz_All
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Emmett_Pwnz_All »

furrynfun wrote:This site has become so mainstream:P I like the old version with the original twilight fans not the Robert Pattinson lovers who've only seen the movie:P

Anyway I have noticed some MAJOR similarities bewtween Twilight and HBO's True Blood
the main charachter
Sookie can read minds except for Bill's...just like Edward and Bella in Twilight

Sookie falls in love with a vampire..So does Bella

Sookie's friend Sam is in love with her...just like Jacob is in love with Bella

Sam is a Shape Shifter....Just like Jacob

And they are both fighting for the girl!

And in True Blood, Sam talks about imprinting. Which is also copied in Twilight!

Also Bill was turned into a vampire by a beautiful women during the Civil War........JUST LIKE JASPER!

The Sookie Stackhouse series started way before Twilight so Stephanie Meyer obviously got lots of ideas form True Blood

LOL I noticed too xD
They ish both good reads though :D
mimiishinlove<3
Image `; [mimimccarty<3 lubs kellmett and the medic droid<3] Karl=TwiGuy#1Mimi2=TwiTwin! :D
OMEEEE ILY GREGORYGORGEOUS<3
GlowingOne
Settled in Forks

Post by GlowingOne »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?

Yes and No, Her way of thinking was almost identical to men, except Im not so shy or insecure (but many people tell me I am...). And I know the feeling of missing my home, I had to travel on a plane by myself to a foreign place to see my dad (sound familiar?). And Im pretty awkward with him, so I understand that.

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie?

Renee seemed, nice, comforting, very motherly. And innocent, it always seemed Bella was taking care of her in Phoenix. Charlie is adorable, easily one of my favorite character`s. He`s very awkward around Bella, but you can tell that he really care`s about her, very sweet.

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets?

Awkward, put on the spot kind of feeling, I usually don`t like people like Mike or Jessica, they seem too nice...almost obsessive.

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward?

Well, I obviously was intrigued. But If I was in Bella`s situation, I would probably stay as far away from him as possible, the Cullen`s are all very intimidating.

5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior?

I had a feeling that it was Edwards thirst for Bella`s blood, but I was still shocked at how close he was to killing her multiple times throughout the book.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?

I was hooked, even if there was no vampire`s or any mention of the supernatural, anything from Bella`s perspective I would love.
"Sometimes I wondered if I was seeing the same things through my eyes that the rest of the world was seeing through theirs. Maybe there was a glitch in my brain." -Bella Swan
Cullen4eva
Settled in Forks

Post by Cullen4eva »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with? Yes i did. Im really klutzy and ive been the new kid in a small washington town where everyone knows eachother, and it was because i was moving from phoenix az.

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie? My first impression of Renee was that she was sweet and more Bellas friend than a mother, but still tried to take care of her, My first impression of Charlie was that he loved Bella but didnt really know her.

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets? My first impression of the friends Bella meets were that they all were her friends just to become popular because she was knew except angela who seemed truly nice.

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward?I was intrigued by Edward from the get go.

5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior?I didnt really think anything of it, i figured it would be explained which it was, and because he was a vampire.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?This chaptered hooked me for good...that and the back of the book. :)
kayAlicekay
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by kayAlicekay »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
No, I couldn't really relate to Bella. There isn't really much to say. However, she says that she thinks she is average, and so do I, but unlike Bella, I am thought of as average, instead of what they think of her in Twilight.

I didn't really like Charlie at first. He didn't seem like a good father, seeing as how Bella didn't talk to him much, and didn't exactly seem to like the trips with her father. However, I thought Renee was an ok mother, but she didn't really seem to want to spend time with Bella. I wasn't exactly hooked by either of them at first, but my thoughts on them changed throughout the saga.

At first I liked Jessica. She seemed like she would make a great friend for Bella. Even though she was a chatterbox, it seemed like she would be good for Bella, as a friend. Mike and Eric seemed like the kind of people who would maybe get on my nerves, and I was maybe a little annoyed with them at first. But Bella didn't really seem to have a problem with them in the books. That's just my thoughts

Seeing as how I already knew he was a vampire, because I was told about that from a friend and another, I wasn't really scared. But had I not known, at all, then I probably would be a little scared, because when you don't know anything about it, Edward is more mysterious and unknown, and maybe scary.

Same as above, I already knew he was a vampire, so I thought nothing of it.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?
Yes, I was immediately hooked. It was interesting, and I wanted to know what would happen next.
KayKay Peace Live Laugh Love TWILIGHT!
Team Alice - Seeing the future since 1901 - Shopper Team Rosalie - Every Rose has its thorns
Team Renesmee - Not the Loch Ness
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

I never felt that I related to her till NM. When someone she lost her bf and a friend came in to heal her wonds.
Charlie reminds me of most dads. They have a hard time understanding their girls.
Superficial except for Angela.
Very intrigued. I wanted to know more about him. What he was thinking.
I understood him right away. He tried his hardest to stay away from Bella. He even warned her and they both couldn't keep themselves away from one another.
6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was? I was hooked from the first page.
Banner by TammyAZ
April Allen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by April Allen »

A little, about being scared and nervous on being the new girl at school. I have been the new girl at school like 6 times.

That they were really easy-going.

I thought they were going to be kind of mean, but no. They were actually very nice, so I was happy for Bella.

Well, yeah! Not scared, but I was like: What is it with him?

Well I was sure that it was because of Bella's smell, so I understood. But I also understood Bella's madness about it.

Yep, totally. I devoured the book in 3 days.
"Oh, I'm with the vampires, of course." - Bella Swan
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by misskiley »

Yes! I don't feel a need to fill the silence.. Small chit-chat is something thats kinda difficult for me and I tend to space off when people are talking to me.

It seemed as though Renee seems a bit selfish. A mother who thinks their child would be happy to move far away and start a new school mid-semester is crazy. If anything she could have waited til school was over. Charlie seems eager to please Bella and make her feel comfortable :)

I was surprised by how nice and eager everyone was to talk to her. It did not remind me of real life high school at all..

Scarrily intrigued.. haha I didn't understand what his deal was but needed to know more!

I wasn't quite sure what was going on with him, how he could be fine in the cafeteria when he caught her gaze a few times and then death gaze her when she walked into class.

I was definitely hooked and wanting more(more Edward ecspecially)
lady4string

Post by lady4string »

This may or may not be the right place for this, but since it pertains to the cover, I thought it might: http://www.thebigmoney.com/slideshow/fa ... -hands?g=1 The hands are actually a woman's. Kimbra Hickey has the hands on the cover (she's the 3rd one on the slideshow).
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

In some ways yes. I never have had a great relationship like I should with my mom. Being insecure and unsure about myself.

I thought Renee was REALLY clingy of Bella. She seemed nice but needed her daughter too much. Charlie seemed like a good dad. He seemed like he wished he oculd have done better with Bella.

I liked all of them except Jessica. I thought she was a petty, self indulgent, hypocritic witch.

Intrigued. I thought that there was something about him I wanted to know about.

At first, I thought he was creeptacular. Then I got to know him.

I was hooked. I just wanted to know more and more.
:grin: Proud HalfwayHouse Sister :grin:
Seasons Of Love-A Rosalie/ Emmett story