A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
amulaya
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter 1 ~ First Impressions

Post by amulaya »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?

I kinda did relate to her in the sense that she was new to the small town and not wanting to be the center of attention. I've been there before, and never wanted attention brought to me either. The clumsiness also. I was a clumsy teenager and can remember tripping over flat surfaces myself... lmao

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie?

My first impression of Renee was that she loves Bella a lot and only wants her to be happy. Then as the book progresses it seems to me that she is going to live for herself and have fun doing it. She would love to have Bella live with her, but she would also rather she didn't so that she could have fun with Phil.

My first impression of Charlie was that he didn't really know what to do with a teenage daughter. So he let her go her own way until she did something that he didn't like or he thought was too dangerous. He most definitely loves Bella, but he doesn't know how to be a father. He eventually figures it out though.

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets?

At first I thought they were all cool and nice, then you get into the book and later on some decide that they are better than everyone else, especially Bella. (Personally I can't stand people like that.) But, I really liked Angela. She seems to be the type of person that once she is your friend, she's there for life. Jacob (at first) was kinda annoying to me, at least until later in the series...

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward?

I was totally intrigued! I happen to be totally in love with Edward! I was intrigued by the whole Cullen family. I wanted from the very start for her to start talking to him.

5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior?

At first I was mad too about the way he treated her in biology. Then after he explained it to her, about her blood calling to him, I was ok with it... lmao... I was intrigued also about how he couldn't "hear" her and wanted to know why!

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?

I was totally hooked after the first few pages! I have read the complete saga and have also listened to it on audiobook (that is a whole different experience) and am positively bouncing in my seat, I can't wait till she has Midnight Sun finished and published. I refuse to believe that it will never be published!!!
"So, who's gonna catch me a grizzly bear?" - Bella
Nostalgicmiss
Settled in Forks

Post by Nostalgicmiss »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
Yes, she was a normal girl in a normal world. She was being flung into a new situation with a little bit of hesitance. Mostly though, I related with her self consciousness, I am very much the same way, I would most definitely want to just blend into the wallpaper LOL

They were parents, Renee seemed genuinely upset her daughter was leaving, and I could see that in the way she was willing to make sacrifices to keep Bella close.
Charlie seemed quiet and unsure, he hadn't spent but two weeks a year with his own daughter, I could only imagine how uncomfortable that would be. I think he handled it well.

Jessica I could immediately see she was using Bella because she was popular at that specific moment and she enjoyed the limelight herself, if she had to share it, so be it.
Angela seemed genuine and shy.
Mike was the popular boy everybody likes.
Eric was as described.
Lauren, only one word and I will not say this.

Intrigued, his mysteriousness grasped me immediately and I like a little mystery. I was amazed by his intensity as he glared at Bella, it jumped off the page at you.

Wasn't sure what his dealio was, but I knew it must be something to do with him being a vampire, I did read the back cover before buying . . . oops!!

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?
Hooked from the get go, the chapter was a little slow but it was establishing characters. I just adore the way SM uses descriptive writing to paint the pictures in your mind. you can see almost every detail she describes. I was addicted from this point though. :)
Scandal is gossip made tedious by morality.
- Oscar Wilde
edwardiloveyou
Settled in Forks

Post by edwardiloveyou »

yeah i related with bella almost right away because she moved to a new town just like i did when i started reading these books.

i really didnt like renee at first because she was always trying to get bella to stay, when she shouldve let bella make her own decisions and be happy for her either way. As for charlie, he seems alright, just a little apprehensive for bella to be there.

jess and mike are cling ons and angela weber is a really nice girl

i was very intrigued by edward and the way he stares at bella.

edward is very odd and i think his behavior suits him perfectly.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?i didnt really like the first chapter. but thats just me because i never like introductory chapters
Twilighter8
Settled in Forks

Post by Twilighter8 »

No, not having divorced parents mainly, and not being such a quiet, loner type. (Not that that didn't work for her!)

At first I couldn't see how they'd ever have gotten together! Then I started to think that maybe it was just one of those powerful things that burned out fast. I liked Charlie a lot, though her could warm up some, but it suited him. Renee...I liked her too. She obviously loves Bella dearly, but I'm glad Bella moved. She's kind of flighty and Bella would always be helping her out. Bella needed to strike out on her own.

typical high schoolers (no offense!)

Intrugued, very! I couldn't figure him out at first, so much mystery!

I never guessed at the smell thing! I figured they were loners themselves and he was fighting the attraction because she wasn't one of them. Then, he just finally decided he liked her and to hey with what the rest of them thought.

Oh, I was hooked! My daughter had told me some of the plot, enough to get me hooked, so I knew what Edward was. But still, I could already see that this was special! I wanted to see how they would finally decide to get together, especially since he seemed to hate being near her so much.

Now I have to reread the book so I can get on to the discussion on chapter 2!! Ruth
MmeKat
Settled in Forks

Post by MmeKat »

It's been so long since I've been 17.... :lol: No seriously, it's been a while since my school days but you never, ever forget what it's like to be the new kid in town...while I was never as shy as Bella, I could identify with her need to for annonimity....

Renee gave me in impression of being child like and I felt sorry for Bella...I hate when I see children being put in the position of being the mature adult...they grow up too fast and don't enjoy their childhood...although I must admit it did help her face her situation with aplum!!

Disliked Jessica, remembered a few Mikes in my time and loved Angela from the get go....

Heck no!!! In 9th grade there was a kid that was all mysterious and I set my mind to finding out what the deal with him was...much as Bella did...although I must admit he was neither as cute and turned out to just be super shy, which didn't suit me....

Weird!!! Especially since she had seen him laughing in the cafeteria just moments before...so obviously it was personal.

Yes it did...I couldn't put the book down....
kaitlyncullen
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by kaitlyncullen »

i dont know if im too much like bella. we have our differences but she is a very likable character.

i like charlie the most, i think he's sweet but he's a little confused about the whole dad things. and especially having a teenage daughter. he's only trying his best though. he has a lot of heart. i like the truck too, it was very nice of him. renee seems somewhat childish but sweet in her own way. she seems really fun and the opposite of bella.

yeah, didnt like jessica right away. mike was annoying. eric seemed pretty sweet actually. and angela was a nice girl so i liked her.

mm, intrigued. i like the dark, mysterious type. and besides, the way bella describes him, who wouldn't be?

i knew he was a vampire, but i didn't understand the way he acted in biology and the office.

well, honestly, i didn't think it was that great at first, but it takes me awhile to get into a story. after a couple more chapters i was in love of course.
Private Kaitlyn Cullen of Jasper's Army.
"Forged in war, born of death, saved by love." - Jackson Rathbone. <3
MadreBug
Settled in Forks

Post by MadreBug »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with? I completely related to her not wanting to be noticed.

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie? I felt Renee was an immature and unintentionally selfish mother. Poor Charlie. You could tell he was glad to have Bella there but really had no clue how to act.

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets? I like Angela right off. The rest seemed annoying.

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward? Completely intrigued.

5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior? If I hadn't known as much about the book as I did, I would have thought him very bizarre and slightly unbalanced.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was? I enjoyed it but wasn't totally hooked, yet.
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

Yes, actually I did relate to her. I related to the part where she didn't fit in anywhere. How she thought she should be a certain way to fit in. Also, her relationship with Charlie is the same as mine and my dad's relationship. We love each other we just don't often know what to say to each other.

I actually felt kind of sorry for Charlie. He seemed to be very awkward around Bella. He didn't know what to say to her or how to act around her. I didn't much like Renee. I realize that her quirkiness and forgetfulness are part of who she is but it just seemed like she was too caught up in herself to worry about Bella.

Everyone seemed really nice actually. I mean, obviously Bella can't read into their heads but they were all welcoming. Even though some of them it was just because they wanted to be nosey.

Intrigued definitely. THere was nothing really scary about him. More mysterious and aloof.

It actually really got on my nerves. Like I could feel Bella's bewilderment and hurt and then anger.

Oh, I was hooked from the very beginning lol
ShadowNIN
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by ShadowNIN »

I did. She just seems like a normal, down to earth girl.

I liked them both. They seemed to each care about her in their own way.

Everyone seemed to be very friendly.

Intrigued for sure!

I didn't really understand it. I mean, I new he was a vampire, but I didn'tunderstand why he was acting that way towards Bella.

I was hooked.
ImageImage
Shakespeare
Wandering Through Town

Post by Shakespeare »

I hope nobody is bothered by me answering these questions since I am an anti. :twisted:
I'd also like to say that I really like the idea of discussion threads. This site is a lot more sophisticated than most of the fansites I've been on.

Not at all. I saw her as whiny and ungrateful. She'd look at a beautiful scenery and then shoved it aside by basically saying "I hate green!" She was extremely unappreciative of the car she got. She only said thanks AFTER Charlie told her he actually bought it. I would have thanked him as soon as I learned that he was thoughtful enough to search for a truck for me. Instead, Bella's thoughts are extremely petty and a bit materialistic. But that's just my take on it. Personally, I'd like to think that I am nothing like Bella.

Charlie is usually very sweet and caring in this book. To be honest, I actually felt sorry for him. As I said above, Bella acts very ungrateful. I'm also not sure why she thinks of him as "Charlie" instead of "Dad" That is extremely disrespectful, especially since Charlie is a very nice father. I might be able to understand it if it was just because she rarely spend time with him (maybe), but it never changes. He is still "Charlie" at the end of the series.
Renee annoyed me just because I felt she was abandoning her apparently strong relationship with her daughter just to be with Phil. Maybe there is a better explanation, but I didn't really think Bella's reasons for moving made any sense. Other than that, I don't think we see enough of Renee to actually develop an opinion of her. We just get Bella's interpretation of her mother, and I don't usually trust Bella's thoughts. :twisted:

Poor, poor Eric. Did anyone else notice that he's basically the only non-villainous character who is ever described in an unflattering way (physically)? I thought all of Bella's friends were nice. I would have been extremely grateful if people were that nice to me on my first day. Bella acts a bit disdainful. As I said, poor Eric. At least she admits Mike is nice--she is just annoyed by Eric even though he acted basically the same way as Mike did.

Not really...

I didn't really think too much about it. I was a little alarmed just because I knew this was supposed to change into True Love and I found that a little disturbing. But I didn't care too much at that point. I just waited to see what Meyer did.

No comment. :twisted:
I'm actually an anti. I don't like the Twilight series at all.

I'm here because I enjoy discussing literature and I think it's often much more interesting to talk to people who disagree with you.

And yes, I have read the books. ;)