A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
peacepicturelexi
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter 1 ~ First Impressions

Post by peacepicturelexi »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with? Yes, the part when she was the more mature one who always lied:)

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie? i thought they were completely different. like the way renee didnt want bella to go but charlie wasnt exactly peachy when she did.

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets? I thought jessica was rude from the first time i saw her name. i dont know why, i guess it was the way she hadnt talked to her before that class and all of a sudden she wanted to talk. i thought eric was a sweetie the way he followed her every where!
4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward? i was intrigued! he was very odd and seemed so out there, like i didnt know what a guy like him was doing in a small town like forks.
5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior? i thought he was bipolar :mrgreen:
6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was? seeing what the fuss was!
you can have edward and jacob. i want seth:)
corinnejca
Wandering Through Town

Post by corinnejca »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?

I did relate to Bella right away. We both have antisocial tendencies and value being alone. We also both don't mind silences. I don't really feel the need to talk all the time just to fill up silences. What's wrong with silence?

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie?

I've never been too fond of Renee. My first impression of Renee was that she was flighty and slightly annoying with all the excessive e-mailing. It was like she was trying to make up for the fact that she subconsciously pushed Bella out. I didn't really think anything about Charlie. I was pretty much indifferent to him. Well, except for the fact that I didn't think it was fair she had to cook dinner every night for him. I guess she offered and didn't mind, but that's one difference between Bella and I -- I hate cooking! I try to get out of it.

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets?

I thought Jessica was the exact opposite of Bella - talkative and bubbly. I liked the rivalry that automatically started between Eric and Mike. I like it when guys fight over one girl for some reason. Bella has so many guys fighting over her in Forks!

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward?

I was intrigued by Edward; I was never really afraid of him.

5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior?

I didn't really know what to make of Edward's behavior. I already knew he was a vampire, so I figured it had something to do with that. I thought maybe she really did smell repulsive to him.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?

I wasn't hooked on the book yet, but intrigued enough by Edward to keep reading. Not in love yet, but intrigued.
Elleoz
Settled in Forks

Post by Elleoz »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?

I found myself relating to Bella a little bit. I am not a teenager anymore, but I remember being the new girl and feeling like no one was going to like me, I didn't fit in, etc.

I thought that Renee was re-living her adolescence in a sense. She had Bella when she was really young, and so she didn't get a chance to really sow her oats (if you will). With the new marriage, she felt young and in love again and since Bella has seemed to always take on the mothering role in their relationship, Renee didn't feel the need to be the mother anymore.

Charlie was a little harder for me to figure out. For me, he was the absent father who kept in touch with his daughter but was never really there for her. He sent to obligatory birthday and Christmas presents and made the necessary phone calls but was never really a part of Bella's life.

I thought that the boys (and Mike in particular) tried way too hard. If they would have jsut played it cool, maybe they would have gotten a little farther with Bella. Up until she met Edward anyway :) I always liked Angela but could tell that Jessica had her own agenda. I think she was always friends with Bella only because Bella got attention.

I was intrigued by Edward's reaction to Bella and how he always knew just when she was talking about him.

At first, I thought that he was upset that he had to share his desk in biology (LOL). But then I found it curious that he was so tense around her. I wasn't sure what was going on, but it was apparent that there was something going on.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?

I was hooked from the first word. Of course I am a spoiler fiend so I already kinda knew what was going to happen. It was so much better than I could have ever imagined.
X-X-Burn-It-Down-X-X
Wandering Through Town

Post by X-X-Burn-It-Down-X-X »

Yes, How she thought she was always on a different page to everyone else and how she didn't relate well to people her age, didn't have much self confidence and was pretty pessimistic. That's me all over xD

Honestly, Renee seemed.. I don't know, like a mother who cared more about her social life than her child. But my opinion changed later in the book/series! Charlie was awesome, he seemed like a typical dad, I also sympathized with him, because he lived alone and everything.

Too eager :P If i'd started a new school and people were like that with me, I'd be seriously freaked out xD I didn't like Jessica, but Mike + Eric were cool :) just like I said.. eager xD

intrigued, entirely xD I thought he was amazing, infact the whole Cullens amazed me.

At first I thought he was just protective and stuck up xD

Hooked me. Completely, I couldn't put the book down xD
It's not faith if you use your eyes.
'twahy-lahyt'
Lusting for Blood

Post by 'twahy-lahyt' »

i guess. if you asked my friends if i was like Bella then they would probably says yes right away, because i don't tend to do stuff for my own benefit, and they know that i would move somewhere i wouldnt want to go if it eased someone else's pain or loneliness or whatever.

not that much about Renee, but i did think she was a little care-free.

umm Charlie, is much like my dad, we don't really show affection towards each other so i got him a lot more and that made me like him.

at first i thought that Jessica was nice, but a total gossiper. i didn't really like Mike that much i thought he was a little over friendly. i liked Angela from the begginning.

i was definitely intrigued.

i had heard of Twilight before i read the books, so i knew a little bit about them, but when i read about his reaction when he first caught Bella's scent, i got really excited cause i knew why he acted that way. i knew that her scent was extremely powerful to him. soo i guess i really didn't think it was odd.

to be honest i got hooked after i read the preface.
MissMagnolia
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by MissMagnolia »

I didn't relate to Bella at first especially with not wanting to leave sunny Arizona. I prefer living with lots of green and rain.
I really didn't think so highly of Renee; she just seemed like she was too irresponsible to be a mother. I felt sympathy for Charlie because didn't really seem to speak so highly of him.
I thought Eric was adorable. I am glad Jessica took Bella under her wing. Mike reminded me of a friend of mine so I thought he was friendly but super annoying.
Intrigued. How can you be so scared of someone so hot.
Well I already knew he was a vampire so I just thought he wasn't suppose to be sitting that close to humans.
I was a little impatient because I wanted Edward and Bella to be together already. lol
bella_love3
Learning to Love Green

Post by bella_love3 »

. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
I did because where i live the sun is out a lot. but where i live also has a lot of green so it seemed weird to me that she didn't like it. i identified with her feelings toward the small town. if i lived in a small town i would probally explode (until i found out the best kind of beings live in small towns.)2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie?
Well i liked charlie because he reminded me of my own father and how life would be like if it was just him and i. things unsaid mean a lot more than things said. but renee seemed distant more of a flat character.
jessica seemed like a user and the boys all seemed a little too eager to meet her.
well i has heard about edward and jacob being the main characters in the twilight books and i was very intrigued to see why he was acting so mean.
i thought it was a little crazy. at this point i was still trying to see if jacob or edward would be the vampire so i was a little confused.
during the dpressing part about Bella ariving i almost shut the book because i thought it seemed so ridiculously boring. there was obviously no point to the book then but i still just didn't like it. but as soon as she saw edward i was hooked.
heifergrl1
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails
Location: Following the ever so saucy Eric Northman around...a lot...

Post by heifergrl1 »

I did relate to Bella right away because she and I have very similar personalities. She and I like peace and quiet and are both extremely clumsy :lol: . We both go about going to school just to get through it. Also, we don't think much of ourlselves.
I thought that Renee was a lot like my friend's mom. She wants the best for her daughter, but she doesn't have the best way to go about it, so Bella has to act on her own and kind of be a parent herself. Charlie, I thought, was a very likable dad character, but not exactly one that you can heavily rely on. He's there, but Bella still has to be the parent in some cases.
I thought that they were trying to be polite in meeting her, but she wasn't interested in everyone poking and prodding into her life in Phoenix. She's just doesn't want to be noticed.
I was intrigued just because he acted so differently. I knew right away that he had to be something supernatural, but I didn't know what. So, I thought that he was interesting because I wanted to know more about him.
I thought it was strange because it didn't seem like there was much cause for it. He just seemed to hate a very likable person for an unapparent reason.
I was hooked to this book in the first few pages lol. I was stil confused, but it made me want to search furthur into the book to find the answers.

-Elizabeth
Oh the deliciousness!
E<3B
ashiekins16
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by ashiekins16 »

Maybe a tiny bit. She's kind of more quiet and shy in parts. Like she says she can sit in silence and its not awkward for her. But there wasn't a whole lot. She seemed more brave than me.

Renee seemed to be a bit more of a friend for her daughter. Of course she loves Bella and wants whats best for her but she doesn't seem to know how to give it. And Charlie didn't seem to know how to be the father. He wasn't like Renee as in being a friend, but he seemed to have trouble raising his daughter alone at first.

They seemed like they were just trying to help the new girl. Charlie's daughter..thats how they knew her. The guys just seemed to jump at her too much and not care about who she really was.

I think I was more intrigued. I was never scared of him.

I figured it had to do something with his "secret". It was of course odd, but I figured he had his reasons.

By the time I got to the end of the chapter, I was pretty much hooked. It was a little struggle to get to the end because I wasn't sure about it all. But by the end I loved it.
Randomness Regular since #7 E<3B
Team Bill...er, no Eric..no Bill.. :)
marinel
Settled in Forks

Post by marinel »

Yeah, I did relate to Bella. I think what I identified most to her was the way she kept to herself. It's not that she had any problem in the friends department, but my impression was that she would have been happier by herself or would have been contented even if she had only one friend as long as that person shares the depth and maturity that she has. In a way, I'm like that, I'd be better off alone doing things that I really like than hang out with a bunch of people that I dont really relate to.

My first impression of Charlie was that he is really happy that Bella is staying with him but as with most father's, I don't think he really had any idea how to deal with a teenage daughter (especially with one who has been away from him most of his life). I thought of Renee as someone carefree and living life at the moment.

I think they were awed at her but at the same time perceived her as an oddity.

I was definitely intrigued by Edward! I had been watching out for his every word and gesture from the very beginning. I was mostly curious of his reactions and the motivations to why he did the things that he did.

I really did not understand why he was behaving so oddly at first. Although, I had an inkling then that this behavior had something to do with who he is. I really did believe that he was someone totally different right from the start.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was about?

Yup, I was hooked right from the very first chapter.