A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
MissMagnolia
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter 2 ~ Open Book

Post by MissMagnolia »

1. Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished?
I thought maybe he transferred or dropped out of school.
2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual?
I think it shows us that Bella is mature for her age and basically the grown up in her Arizona life and now comes here to help Charlie. In a way, Bella replaces Renee in Forks (I don't mean that in a gross incest way either) by taking care of his household needs and such.
3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?
I was confused and I did not find it sincere. So I guess I did think he was putting on a show and that he felt guilty for the way he acted but didn't really show any change. It was almost creepy the way he was acting around her. I guess it was just showing how he already was infatuated with her.
4. What was your first explanation for the change in Edward's eye color?
Since I already knew he was a vampire, I just assumed that maybe he wasn't thirsty anymore or was able to be around humans in a closer proximity now that he was expecting it.
bella_love3
Learning to Love Green

Post by bella_love3 »

1. Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished?
i has no idea where edward had gone to but i felt anxious when bella wanted him to come back and knew immediatly what she felt like.
2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual?
bella obviously is a very self sufficient character. she has to raise her mother and cook for her father making her the parent and older in wisdom than age.
3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?
i definately thought it was a show. but his sudden change made me hooked even more
i thought maybe it was just a fluke on bella's part. but then again why would it have even been mentioned if it was a fluke. haha
ashiekins16
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by ashiekins16 »

I wasn't really sure. I guess I thought maybe he was just at home avoiding Bella.

I think it shows us why Bella is the way she is. She has to be mature and a good cook. She is kind of like the parent because her parents aren't the most..how to say this?..they aren't the best parents, in the way that Bella needs to help them more than they can help her in some ways.

I was confused. I thought something had made him change his idea. Maybe he realized he was acting stupid. :P

I thought maybe it was a mood thing because hes a vampire. I wasn't really sure..
Randomness Regular since #7 E<3B
Team Bill...er, no Eric..no Bill.. :)
marinel
Settled in Forks

Post by marinel »

I wasn't really thinking where he'd gone off or why, I was just waiting for him to come back.

I think the way her parents were shaped Bella to be mature and and the nurturer in the family. I agree that Bella is a mature woman locked in a teenage body. She must have had some semblance of maturity in her even when she was younger or she might not have coped or turned out the way she did if she hadn't.

I was sure he was just putting on a show but I can't seem to put a finger as to why he reacts like this to her.

I thought his eye color reflected his moods at the moment.
EmeraldLace
Settled in Forks

Post by EmeraldLace »

I can't remember what I thought the first time I read it, it's been so long, and so many reads! I'm not even joking.
She has always looked after herself, which I think is quite sad...
Uhhh, I thought he was being nice for the sake of his fairly good reputation, speaking through gritted teeth more or less.
Didn't have one.
*TwilightIsMyDrug*
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by *TwilightIsMyDrug* »

I honestly had no idea. But I did guess that it had something to do with Bella. Judging from his strange reaction to her.

To me it shows how Bella takes care of everyone around her first and then herself. It's just part of her nature. She will do anything for those she loves. Because she's grown up somewhat taking care of her mother, she's also extremely mature. I think this is another thing that Edward is attracted to.

I honestly was confused. I thought maybe he took a little break and was going to make a fresh start.

I knew right away that it had SOMETHING to do with his eating habits, but I didn't know what...
"You don't know how long I've waited for you."
Team Edward
SickMasochisticLion
Settled in Forks

Post by SickMasochisticLion »

I think it was because he didn't like Bella! or because someone else told him to leave..I don't know >.< I was just confused and hoping he would come back!

2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual? Bella loses herself a little needing to do things for her partents =[ She is capable.

3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her? I thought maybe he had gone off to think or something. It seemed genuine, but I did wonder if maybe he was going to TRICK HER for some reason, i thought that might be a possibility because I felt a little wary about him and didn't know what he'd do next!

Emotion, I thought. Completely different mind sets, not to the point of schizophrenia or anything, just the different extremes of thoughts.
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lag28wa »

Yay! I am rereading Twilight, so the chapters are more fresh in my mind now.
I wasn't sure where he had went, I don't think I thought too much about it, I just was anxious for him to come back. I figured he had vanished because of Bella, since he was so upset the last time she saw him. I was thinking some of the same things that she was, that he either changed his classes or dropped out of school.

I don't think the expanding descriptions of Charlie and Renee told me much about the person that Bella is, except that some of her traits are from necessity. I can see how she's become mature taking care of her flighty mom. It was a little painful for me to see how uncomortable Charlie was making conversation with Bella, but I saw that she had one of his traits, in that she didn't mind silence. She's very "grown up" for her age, and I guess that comes from being around people like her parents.

I was very cautious! I thought it was too good to be true and he was up to something, yet of course I found him strangely interesting, his mystery and bizarre behaviors make him all that more alluring that you want to know more about him. I guess I also felt relief that he came to his senses. I honestly had no idea the reason for Edward's behaviors until he explained it in the meadow later on in the book.

I guess this is the first indication to me that he wasn't human(aside from the fact that the back of the book cover says it) or at least not a normal human in any way. But I really had no idea about the specific reason for it.
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium
Bubbles
Settled in Forks

Post by Bubbles »

I guessed he was "playing sick" and his dad was letting him stay home or he ran away... I didn't think about it nearly as much as other people

I think Renee being needy explains why Bella is excited to cook, she's used to being needed while living with her mom but her dad isn't near as needy - with the exception of cooking.

3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting
on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?
I was a little shocked that Edward was being nice - looking back I think he probably could have been putting on a show because he had to do the lab with her so he brok the ice. At this point I warmed up to him a little bit but it wasn't 100%

My explination for the eye color change was his mood - like his eyes were mood rings or something stupid. I like the book's reasoning much better...
Nessie_08
Learning to Love Green

Post by Nessie_08 »

I had no idea. With books like Twilight, I tend to let mysteries in the plot explain themselves

I saw her as the parent. She constantly had to care for her parents. This made her unusually mature for her age. I loved that, because immature characters can be extremely irritating.

I was a bit confused, but I assumed it had to do with his absence. I was glad though, because I hoped that in his willingness to talk to her he'd let slip that he was a vampire. I knew it, he knew it, now I was just waiting for Bella to figure it out.

I let it go as one of those mystries best left for the plot to explain.

Click the Bunny! Take The Quiz! Join the Blubness!