A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
TwilightRose1
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 2 ~ Open Book

Post by TwilightRose1 »

1. Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished?

I thought he was just sick. There was a part of me that thougth Bella's fears were true... that he was doing it to avoid her, but I never took the thought too seriously. I thought that would be a bit extreme.. haha but I guess not!

2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual?
She is a very independent person. Charlie can't cook, so Bella does the cooking in the family.. Rennee a needy person, but Bella seems to be just fine on her own. I remember thinking about this when reading this chapter. She doesnt seem to be a lot like her parents. She is very much her own person.

3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?
I was definitely confused.. but I knew he would come around eventually! I didnt think he was putting on a show by being nice to her. but when he was acting offended ad such. At this point, I had realized that he was acting before, and had now decided to show Bella what he is reallly like.

4. What was your first explanation for the change in Edward's eye color?

I had no idea...I was just as confused as Bella. If anything, I thougth it was a trick of the light. A part of me figured it was a vampire thing.. I just wasnt quite sure at this point.
twilightfan1
Settled in Forks

Post by twilightfan1 »

1. Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished?
I couldn't get rid of the feeling it was definately to do with Bella despite how silly it seemed to me and her. i thought that he just wasn't coming into school and would be at home i guess. i never really thought that he would have gone abroad or anything

2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual?
With Renee's and charlie's behaviour and the fact that Bella was able to cook as evidence it told me that as an individual bella has had to look after herself alot and had grown up ina sort of adult position. She quickly took onm the roles of cooking, cleanign and doing laundry like it was normal. It kind of made me dislike Renee more aswell that this was so.

3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?
I didn't think he was putting on a show i figured that he'd spent his time of wisely thinking properly and composing himself! At first i thought that he was a vampire so he'd eaten and blah but then that struck me as wrong because even if he had been hungry he'd been fine around the other humans. I thought their must be something special about bella

That it was to do with him being a vampire in some way but i wasn't clever enough to figure it out
WickedEdward
Settled in Forks

Post by WickedEdward »

1.Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished?

As ridiculous as it was to assume it was because of Bella, I knew that would have to be it because of that other person asking if she'd "stabbed him with a pen or something?" I thought he had just stayed home, I didn't think he'd left the state.

2.We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual?

It just made me realise that she learned to look after herself at a young age, made me feel sorry for Charlie since he didn't really understand/know his daughter.

I just figured he was doing it to get through that class, I was still wary of what was going to happen between them though.

4.What was your first explanation for the change in Edward's eye color?

I thought it was to do with him being a vampire.
shanon
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by shanon »

I wasn't really sure. From reading the back of the book, I knew he was a vampire, but I was clueless when he vanished.

That Bella felt she had an obligation to take care of the people she loved. The whole having to cook for Charlie kind of bugged me throughout the book. :?

I thought he was weird. I had no idea why he was acting so strange.

:oops: I didn't know, or think much about it until it was explained! :oops:
EDC,Inc- Dumptruck Trainee!!!
Pic for banner by someone else.
Cookies
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Cookies »

I thought that he staying at home or something haha :P

I think it means that Bella is a caring character - this only proves my thoughts! And she would generally do anything for the person she loved <3

I thought he had schizophrenia :P

i thought it was something to do with being a vampire and the time/date. Like a menstrual cycle.
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb ..."

Hug me :)
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

-i had no idea where he went, i was so sad ):
i knew the reason why he left definetly had something to do with bella.

-it really shows how independent she is and how she always feels the need to care for someone, whether its cooking for charlie or litterally taking care of renee.

-i was so confused ! i knew he was putting on a show, i mean the week before he was just downright hateful towards bella and so i knew there was more to why he initially acted the way he did.

-to be honest, i didnt really have an explanation, althought that's embarassing to say because its so obvious haha.
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
Black Rose
Learning to Love Green

Post by Black Rose »

I had no idea where he went, but I had a feeling that the reason he left had something to do with him being a vampire and Bella's blood.

That she grew up taking care of her mother her whole life and that she has had to learn to be caring and kind and indepent.

It made me so confused. I was like "I thought he hated her!" But I knew that he would have to change the way he acted around her if she was going to fall in love with him later in the book. Then, I thought that what ever he was running away from had to be something other than Bella and that was where he had gone. Man, was I wrong!

Honestly? I had absolutely no idea. The thought of contacts didn't even come to mind. I knew it was something to do with the whole vampire thing, but I just kept reading to find out what the heck it was.
ThisStoryOfLove
Learning to Love Green

Post by ThisStoryOfLove »

I had thought that he was trying to avoid her because the quote on the back of the book gave a lot away and I had just assumed that he wanted but also didn't want to kill her so he was staying away, I just happened to be right.

That Bella is very mature and independent and that she has had to take care of herself for a long time.

I just thought that he was being polite to her.

I really had no idea and as I was reading I was really curious as to why his eyes were changing.

"Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you."
-Edward, Midnight Sun
Forever Team Edward
Settled in Forks

Post by Forever Team Edward »

I figured it has something to do with Edwards reaction to Bella but i wasn't really sure why he was gone, i figured he had to come back... otherwise there wouldn't be much of a story.

It shows that Bella is a very motherly mature person... she has a constant need to take care of people and blames everything on herself.

I thought that maybe Bella had taken Edwards reactions out of hand or that he had realized he had treated her badly and he was trying to make up for it by acting in an overly polite way.

I thought it might have something to do with Edward being a vampire.... i really didn't like that the description of the book on the back told you that he was a vampire.
A Few of My Favorite Twilight Quotes and Pictures
E<3B
beemarie
Wandering Through Town

Post by beemarie »

I thought he was just skipping school, chilling at home, trying to avoid Bella.

I think that Bella tried to everything that her parents weren't. Plus she had to take care of her parents, or else she wouldn't survive.

I wondered what was with him? I was like... is he bipolar? But I kind of already was starting to have a crush on him. :) At first, I thought he was just trying to be nice. Did it really change anything? Yes, by the end of the chapter, I was like Bella... waiting to see him at school the next day.

I didn't really know. I just believed whatever he said. haha
~Bee Marie