A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

CHapter 3 ~ Phenomenon

Post by Alphie »

1. Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee?

2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later?

3. What did you think about Charlie's response to the accident?

4. This is the first time we meet Carlisle. What were your first impressions?

5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you?
Jenny
Settled in Forks

Re: CHapter 3 ~ Phenomenon

Post by Jenny »

1. Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee?

It indeed let me know how flighty she really was. I knew she loved Bella but just didn't seem to really comprehend reality.

2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later?

Oh, I had to reread (or listen ;) ) several more times to take it all in.

It was a normal parental response imo.

He seemed very caring and not at all like a vampire. lol

5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you?

Definitely intrigued me. (Of course, EVERYTHING about Edward intrigues me. ;) )
xx mycoldangel xx
Settled in Forks

Post by xx mycoldangel xx »

This really showed me how much she loved her daughter. Same with charlie

Yes, i did. I knew something was going to happen the second she got out of that truck. So i payed very close attention to everything :]

I think that it was the average response a father would have. I know that if it was my dad in that situation, once he knew i was okay, he would call my mom. So charlie was okay to do what he did.

I thought he was cool and nice, i love how "oblivious" he was to bella and edward glaring at each other. tehehe

it intrigued me, but i was also mad he didnt just tell her then and save himself so much grief.
TwiguyEC
Settled in Forks

Post by TwiguyEC »

She doesn't think things through. She goes with what she wants.
Well no, not the first time. When I realized later that I missed some points, I decided I would have to read the whole book again and again and again
He doesn't know how to deal with the responsibility.
He seemed very very wise; yet, troubled at what had transpired.
Always intrigue, I figure if he meant Bella any immediate harm he would have done it already.
The smell of her blood saturated every particle of air in the tiny, hot room. My throat burst into flames.
-Edward Cullen, Midnight Sun
la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

I really just think of Renee as a ditzy, airhead type. It would drive me nuts if my mom was that way; it would have made me want to move to Forks, too.

I got it all the first time and found myself having the same questions Bella did. I'm pretty sure I'm stubborn enough to have made Edward promise to explain himself later too. :lol:

It seemed to be proof that he really, really loved his daughter, despite the years of distance.

Hello gorgeous? No, I'm kidding. I thought he was going to be a calming influence through the rest of the books, and he kind of was (though not literally, like Jasper).

I'm a freak and they intrigued me, even though I knew I should somehow be bothered by some of their exchanges.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
gordonfan08
Wandering Through Town

Post by gordonfan08 »

1. Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee? Again, this only reinforced my original thoughts on Renee, she was selfish and immature as a parent.

2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later? I was so engrossed in the reading I think I got the details right the first time.

3. What did you think about Charlie's response to the accident? I think he responded appropriately.

4. This is the first time we meet Carlisle. What were your first impressions? He is a very caring and compassionate man. Didn't fit the vampire stereotype at all, especially being a physician.

5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you? I must be a masochist, because yet again he had me thoroughly intrigued.
beautifulworld
Settled in Forks

Post by beautifulworld »

1. It just really made me wonder about how immature and selfish Renee was. I never doubted that she loved Bella. But it was pretty ridiculous of Renee to ask her daughter to come back home, when "home" was an empty house. Her good intentions were overshadowed by her immaturity.

2. The first time, I definitely didn't get all the details right. The action was going so fast that it was hard to focus on the small details that Bella mentions later.

3. I think that he responded the way any parent would respond. Considering that he's a cop, he wouldn't be totally frantic (the way Renee was), but I think that he showed that he cares about her.

4. I think that he seemed very nice. It obviously showed that everything people had said about him was true (that he was attractive). I wasn't sure what to think about him after Bella realized that he was in on the lie that Edward was having Bella tell. I got the impression that he was a caring father and person.

5. I thought it was interesting how calm he was about it, and I also thought it was unfair to make Bella lie, and then be so mean to her about it. He did save her life, but I thought that he should have at least been more understanding of what she was going through. Of course, I was already intrigued, because he is such an interesting character.
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

1. She is obviously a very worrysome (sp?) mother. That, or she thought Bellahas having a terrible time.

2. I got it all in the first time reaing abotu the accident.

3. I thought it was normal. Maybe even a little too laid back, I would be freaking out.

4. That he seemed like a normal father to me.

5. They kind of bothered me. If I was in an accident like that, I would want people to go away and leave me alone, only in the case that I ended up in the hospital. But I guess they were funny.
FrostyJasper
Wandering Through Town

Post by FrostyJasper »

I thought she was kind of annoying.

I got it all the first time.

Typical dad reaction. He really does love Bella.

Hot! Haha. I thought he was nice and very relaxed.

Nahh. Not really.
ImageImage
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

I am really impressed that everyone had so much thought about Renee and Charlie. I found them to be really unimportant & blah characters. Everyone's POV is really helping me appreciate them more.

No way did I get the details from the accident right the first time. I am not sure I have them all correct in my imagination now. That is one great thing for me about reading or listening to a story more than once. Each time I do, the picture changes and becomes clearer.

I accepted it without an issue.

He must be one stunning man.

Edward just does not frighten me one little bit. Bella is also a bit sarcastic and she isn't afraid. Why should I be?
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!