A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Re: CHapter 3 ~ Phenomenon

Post by oleander »

1. Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee?
I thought it was sweet that Charlie put the chains on without telling her because I think he knew they would both be embarassed. As for Renee, my thoughts of her at this point were still that she was flighty and maybe a little rash.

2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later?
I certainly thought I had it all until i read Bella's post-accident thoughts.

3. What did you think about Charlie's response to the accident?
Charlie's response was exactly what I thought it would be.

4. This is the first time we meet Carlisle. What were your first impressions?
I found Carlisle to be professional with his patients but very warm toward Edward. It was great to see that he was a nice guy.

5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you?
I wasn't surprised by his sarcastic comments, obviously something was up and he was trying to deflect any possible attention away from him. By discrediting Bella's version of the story by saying she had hit her head, he was bound to be able to get away with what he did.
viokagloring
Wandering Through Town

Post by viokagloring »

1. Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee?

i thought Renee just really missed her. either that or she couldnt really funtion without her. Bella was big part of her life so when she left she probably had some major adjustments to do.

2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later?

oh i definately had to read this part multiple times. i got really confused for some reason. and everything happened so fast! i got that Edward had run to save her but i didnt get that car almost squashed her three times! i later read the partial to Midnight Sun and i understood it better there.

i knew on the inside he was probably panicking like crazy. i mean any parent would be. it would have hurt him so much if anything major happened to Bella.

um...i thought i want a doctor like that! haha. but he was so cool about everything and obviously working with Edward to keep Bella quiet. though she never said anything of what happened.

5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you?

intrigued me. yes it did. he knew that nothing major happened to Bella and he was trying to keep his secret can you blame him?

...strong emotions can alter us in permanent ways.
RussetRose♥
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by RussetRose♥ »

That she is kinda needy.

I didn't understand what had happend at first cause it had happened all sooo fast. But, then by reading on in the chapter I finally understood what had taken place. And then I was in shock! :o

I couldn't believe that he called Renee. lol! :D

That he was caring of his patients.

I thought that he was just being stubborn.

"Did you know, you're sort of beautiful?"
"You hit your head pretty hard, didn't you?"
X-X-Burn-It-Down-X-X
Wandering Through Town

Post by X-X-Burn-It-Down-X-X »

It changed my mind of her completely. At first I thought she wasn't that much of a caring, well not caring but, interested mother. Then that made me realized how much she did really care about Bella and how dependant on her she was.

I took it all in, until Edward came into the scene :roll: then I was focusing mainly on what he was saying/doing rather than what was happening.

Seemed pretty normal to me. But it did make me realize how panicky (if that's a word xD) he was and how much he cared about Bella.

Wow. He is so cool. I can't believe he is a doctor. It's freaky he's so young and has so many adopted children. xD But I thought he was awesome! I didn't think he was that similar to Edward though.

Everything Edward does intrigues me :roll:
It's not faith if you use your eyes.
'twahy-lahyt'
Lusting for Blood

Post by 'twahy-lahyt' »

thought that she just really loved her, and didnt even realize where whe was, she just wanted Bella home so she can make sure she was okay.

I got the gist of it, but i did miss a lot, so i went back and reread it when it was over.

It really showed how much he really loved and cared for Bella even though they haven't really seen each other in soo many years.

I thought he was playing it very cool, i figured Edward had told him everything, so he was just acting like nothing was unusual, and that Edward had really just pulled Bella out of the way.

It intrigued me of course. everything about Edward Cullen intrigues me
MissMagnolia
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by MissMagnolia »

She was very immature and needy. It kind of got on my nerves.
I definitely missed the accident the first time. After Bella thinks about the accident, I still wasn't quite sure what was going on so I had to go back and read it.

He was very charming and easy going. Bella felt comfortable around him and that is unusual considering he is a doctor.
Neither, I think I was mostly angry at him like Bella was. He just made her seem like she was totally mental
ashiekins16
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by ashiekins16 »

I didn't really think she was the best mom figure. She is too needy. Bella is more of the mom figure.

I had to re-read the lines a few times to understand what happened. It seemed to weird.

It showed how much he does care for Bella even thought it had been awhile since he'd seen her and he's not used to raising Bella.

He was cool. Seemed like a great person.

Nothing with him ever really frightened me with him. It was an odd response, but he is someone different.
Randomness Regular since #7 E<3B
Team Bill...er, no Eric..no Bill.. :)
EmeraldLace
Settled in Forks

Post by EmeraldLace »

Still very careless, stupid. Same as my first impression really...
Straight away, I'm one to read thoroughly.
Typical of any father really...
"He's cute" basically, I share my first impressions with Bella always.
The sarcastic ones made me laugh, again though - I share reactions with Bella.
*TwilightIsMyDrug*
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by *TwilightIsMyDrug* »

This part seriously made me tear up a little. Charlie is a good dad. Bella has taken care of her mother for 17 years and she never really got the favor in return from her mom...not in the way a mom SHOULD be at least. I think it shows Renee's selfish side when she calls and wants her to come home...oh wait, and she's NOT even there. Ugh.

I reread this part a few times, trying to soak it all in. So I think I pretty well got it the first time around.

It's what I expected. LOL.

Handsome ;-)

You know, they sorta pissed me off. I was mad at him just like Bella. I thought he was being a little bit of a jerk. As a reader, it made me very intrigued and I couldn't wait to figure the whole thing out!
"You don't know how long I've waited for you."
Team Edward
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lag28wa »

Just confirmed what I already felt about her, that she is flighty, and a bit impulsive, its like she has things that she wants, but she doesn't think them through thoroughly. It seemed to me that it should have occurred to Renee that Bella wouldn't come home to an empty house or without a sound plan for what would happen once she got there, yet Renee hadn't really thought that through. Sometimes I think Renee can be selfish/childish, but she doesn't do it on purpose, its just her personality.

I read it over more than once to get all the details. I knew that Edward wasn't standing next to her, but like Bella I was wondering how he got there so fast and why he was acting in a mixture of anger and concern. I didn't notice until I reread the book though that Bella see's Edwards siblings with a mix of concern, anger, and disapproval at what Edward's done.

It seemed typical to me. Especially for someone who's not used to living with a teenager 24/7. I think Charlie is unprepared for the "trouble" that Bella might be able to get in, even though she is a good kid. Seems he wants to protect her but not smother her so much that she might leave.

The first thing I noticed about Carlisle was how different his demeanor was from Edward, it made me suspicious about him I think! He was just so "ordinary" where Edward's behavior has always been a little strange up until this point, but I found him refreshing.

They intrigued me, they definately didn't frighten me, but felt like they might be hurtful to Bella. She just wants answers when she is already confused and stressed and his reaction seems harsh because we don't know the reason for it. I'm with Bella, I want answers!
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium