A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
LilyMorgana
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: CHapter 3 ~ Phenomenon

Post by LilyMorgana »

1. Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee?
I thought she was a bit crazy but in a positive way.

2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later?
I don't think I got everything the first time, no. I read over it quite quickly to see how it would end so I probably didn't get all the details at first.

3. What did you think about Charlie's response to the accident?
I didn't really think anything special about it. I was more interested in other people at the time.

4. This is the first time we meet Carlisle. What were your first impressions?
I immediately liked him. He was calm and friendly which I appreciated. I also liked the part where he kept Bella from falling down. I could just see that happening in my head. :)

5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you?
Edward's reactions didn't frighten me. I just wanted to know why he acted that way, so I guess they did indeed intrigue me.
- Nele

Private Morgana Mordant of Jasper's Confederate Army, Team Stainless Claret
LilyMorgana
Chocolatebrowneyes
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Chocolatebrowneyes »

1. Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee?

Again Renee has her heart in the right place just maybe she was too young when she had Bella, and wasn't ready to be a parent. Overall good person but it happens all the time.

2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later?

I missed the car denting part the first time LOL I had to reread to fulling comprehend what happened there. I was ever so slightly shocked that he saved her. I was pretty sure he didn't go around doing superhero stuff all the time.

I thought it was pretty typical, however he was beating himself up too much about it probably thinking "This stuff didn't happen when she was with her mother!" Balming himself when he didn't need to.

"Oh wow he's hot!" honestly my first impression, um after that I thought it was pretty interesting that he was a vampire too, I was kinda under the impression that only the kids were Vamps, so I was taken aback by his chosen career path. All the blood how could he handle himself, now I know different.

5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you?

Oh intrigue and confound me in so many ways, again he didn't hate her because he wouldn't have saved her otherwise, but why was he such a jerk about it?! I had already figured out he could read minds (the fact he looked up as if someone had called his name clued me in) so he HAD to know she wasn't going to tell anyone so why didn't he trust her. Again now I know different.
"Why won't you leave me alone?"
Believe me,I wanted to say. I've tried.
Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you.
Keep it light.

ImageImageImageImage
OnePerCentClub
Wandering Through Town

Post by OnePerCentClub »

This is where I began liking, no, loving Charlie. Despite being apart from Bella and not knowing how she really is he is very responsible for her and he was being a father. Renee, well, she was worried.

The accident scene got me hooked. I just couldn't put the book down. I think I might have read the scene twice, but I knew Edward had been there to save her.

Perfectly normal, Bella's his daughter and was worried about her.

That he was perfection. His personality fascinated me.

Actually I was confused, but then I understood him. He had his reasons.
Forever_Twilight
Wandering Through Town
Location: Running as fast as I can with Edward and the Cullens on a cloudy day in Arizona

Post by Forever_Twilight »

Two words: easily worried.

I had to read the scene over to make sure I had all of it to play it over in my head.

A typical dad trying to make sure his daughter was okay yet he knowing that he couldn't do anything of her being clumsy.

Ah, that he is the most perfect doctor in the world!! lol I knew that Carlisle had to know what had happened at the school (since Edward is his "son") but he was a total sweetheart. =)

Intrigued me even more. I guess that's what contributed to me reading the entire book in one day. XD
<3 I've been Vamped by Edward Cullen ~ Followed by Emmett and Jasper <3
xsundaybestx
Settled in Forks

Post by xsundaybestx »

1. Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee? I think Renee is so use to Bella being her conscience that now she doesn't know what to do.

2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later? I think I understood most of it the first time through.

3. What did you think about Charlie's response to the accident? Normal.

4. This is the first time we meet Carlisle. What were your first impressions? I was very impressed about how composed he was around blood.

5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you? Edward always kept me wanting more.
Team Vampire.
Elisabeth33
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Elisabeth33 »

She doesn't think things through properly and she's easily worried.

2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later? I realized after I had read all of the books 2 or 3 times that I had missed lots of finer points when I first read it, especially during the action scenes because I was reading so fast.

A typical Dad's reaction. My own father might have been even worse.

I was laughing at Bella's reaction. But other than that, he appeared to be the normal doctor.

5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you? Edward scared me and upset me when he was so mean and cold towards her. And I really didn't like it (sometimes I even start crying a little) when Bella said that she thought he regretted saving her life.
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

1. Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee? Just that she wasn't very thoughtful.

2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later? I got that Edward stopped the van, although I don't know if how I imagine it is the way it played out.

3. What did you think about Charlie's response to the accident? I sympatheized with Bella, I would be embarrassed if my dad did that (which he probably would!)

4. This is the first time we meet Carlisle. What were your first impressions? GORGEOUS. I loved him!

5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you? Intrigue.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen
Learning to Love Green
Location: In our cottage with Edward "baking", wile Esme babysits Carlie.

Post by Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen »

I thought that she was overdoing it, it's not like Bella was going to be safer with her, I think that she thought that something like this was bound to happen and she was just waiting for it so she can say "you can come home now that you've gotten this out of your system see you were better off with me than with him".

My addrenaline was pumping when the accident happened I paid good attention so I wouldn't miss the finer points I wanted to know how it all turned out and if they were going to be injured or something.

I think that Charlie might not say that he loves Bella more than anything in the world but he shows it. By the way he got up and put the snow chains in her tires so that she would be safe. His reaction was exactly what I expected of him after hearing that Bella was in a car accident.

I though that he was an impressive man by the way she described him physically, I knew that he had to be super smart and patient. He intrigued me I wanted to know how was he able to work there and not be affected by his choosen proffesion.

They intrigued me I wanted to why he did it. But he wasn't willing to talk about it that drove me crazy I wanted answers just like Bella did.
Banner by "'twahy-lahyt'" aka Shel!
Thanks Shel your amazing!!!
lexii_x33
Settled in Forks

Post by lexii_x33 »

I thought she was totally undependable and I was so thankful that my mother doesn't act like that.

I realized I missed some things later on so I went back and re-read it.

He seemed genuinely concerned, so it made me realize that he held most of his emotions in.

Does every Cullen have to be so freaking hot? Ha ha.

It intrigued me definately. Like Bella I mistook his cold shoulder, thinking that he regretted saving her. I was totally curious and it infuriated me when he wouldn't talk to her!
biteme21
Settled in Forks

Post by biteme21 »

Renee is very scatterbrained and a "in the moment" type person. she cares for Bella a lot, but she isnt much of a parent. i liked her, and she has her flaws, but doesnt everyone?

i got most of the details when it first happend but i realized when Bella thinks about it that i missed some little details, and yeah the action scene was great ahah.

Charlie basicly responded how any caring parent would respond if thier child was in a car accident. he was worried and scared for his daughter and i loved that about him :)

my first impression was.. guy version of M.I.L.F ? hahahaah then it was that he was very kind and intelligent and he must have had the most amazing self control and he must love to do his job to have the patience to master his self control. he was awesome

they did both. Edward kind of made me upset when he was so mean to Bella. but he had reasoning behind it. he did what he had to do for his family.
he intruiged me because i had to understand the reasoning behind his actions