A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Destani
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: Chapter 22 ~ Hide and Seek

Post by Destani »

1. We learn that Alice's visions change depending on the decisions of the person she is trying to observe. Did this surprise you at all or was this how you always thought her visions worked? And what does this say about the power of our own choices?
This didn't surprise me because I do tarot readings and something similar applies...the cards only tells what is going to happen to a person while they stay on their current path, if they alter their path in some way then their future will change. This means that we do have some free will.

2. How long to you think it took Alice and Jasper to figure out where Bella had gone? And how do you imagine Edward took the news?
I don't think it would have taken very long. They probably put 2 and 2 together very quickly and figured out that the reason Alice's vision had changed to show Bella in the ballet studio was because she'd made the decision to go there. They also would have thought to read Bella's letter and that would have confirmed it.
I don't think Edward took the news well at all. He was probably torn between rage and anguish.

3. We learned that Alice was once a resident in a mental institution. What does this say about Alice's human family? Do you think they were justified because of the times they lived in?
Alice's human family was probably very normal for their time. I'm sure Alice handles her visions better now than she did when she was human, and even as a vampire they grip her quite strongly sometimes. Her family probably didn't know what to do for her. With that said, I don't think that excuses them. They could have put her somewhere where they believed she would get help and still visited her. They did not have to pretend she was dead. I know it was typical of that era but that doesn't make it right.

4. James is somewhat of a performance artist, using the mirrors to create a very effective death for Bella. What does this say about his character or his life when he was a human?
Perhaps it was his flair for the dramatic that enticed a vampire to change him. His looks are described as completely average even with vampire enhancements so it must have been something else. Maybe his showmanship and love for a challenge made him attractive to whoever made him a vampire. I think James' mind is quite intriguing myself.
Images courtesy of: http://robbuz.deviantart.com/
bubblylittlealice
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by bubblylittlealice »

1. We learn that Alice's visions change depending on the decisions of the person she is trying to observe. Did this surprise you at all or was this how you always thought her visions worked? And what does this say about the power of our own choices?
I was a little, i thought she could see things that were going to happen. It means that the person can have the power to change what Alice sees
2. How long to you think it took Alice and Jasper to figure out where Bella had gone? And how do you imagine Edward took the news?
I don't think it would take that long, Alice would have ran into the washroom know she wasn't there and freek out (just gussing). Im sure he was very upset with Bella.
3. We learned that Alice was once a resident in a mental institution. What does this say about Alice's human family? Do you think they were justified because of the times they lived in?
Well, Alice was born along time ago and most people thought people were witches and stuff like that. They would hang people that thought they were witches. So, her family could have been a little out there, but iam sure they were just perfect for Alice.
4. James is somewhat of a performance artist, using the mirrors to create a very effective death for Bella. What does this say about his character or his life when he was a human?
I think he wanted her to think back when she was a kid alot and make her wish she didn't meet Edward. With all the mirrors it makes it hard for bella to look away from her death . If she tried to look away she would see him killing her in another mirror.
'I think she’s having hysterics. Maybe you should slap her'-Alice Cullen
I'm betting on Alice ;)
Jasper Hale can mess with my emotions any day
Riddalyn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Riddalyn »

I kind of figured. I'm one of those people who believes that the future shifts with every decision we make... I'm always thinking, "well, if I hadn't done that, what would I be like now?" So... yeah, I figured.

I think they always knew. I think that, but I can't imagine why they didn't stop her, other than they knew that she needed to do it, or that they knew she wouldn't die, not really realizing how close they would cut it. I'm sure Edward flew into the most amazing outrage.

I can't say that I think they were justified just because of the time... but I can't say that I blame them, either. At that time, people weren't mentally equipped to deal with something like that... we still aren't. The human mind has trouble trying to understand something that it was never meant to. What I mean to say is, while they could have handled it more gracefully, I don't hate them.
And besides, I would have loved for Alice to have a better past, but if her parents hadn't done that, we wouldn't know her. See... future shifts. I can't say that I hate the future her past landed her in.

Ugh. I think he's pervy. I couldn't say why, but the whole scene had me shivering.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
Chocolatebrowneyes
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Chocolatebrowneyes »

I always kinda figured that, and Its all about free will, the butterfly effect ect.

I think Alice probably saw Bella ending up at the studio but it was fuzzy and changing rapidly, so she wasn't sure what was going on, and she probably saw it the minute she went to the bathroom, but she figured she needed to wait for Edward to let him know because she figured that they could get to the studio before anything bad happened to Bella. Edward was probably LIVID! and he probably started running right after he heard the news to save her....man I can't wait to see the end of MS I'd actually really like to know.

I do believe it's justified by the times they lived in, back in those days people were convinced that it was what was best, and it was probably suggested by a dr and back then what a dr said was pretty much law there wasn't any "second opinions".

He was probably a ballet dancer back in the day, J/K I dunno he's probably overlly dramatic, even back in his human days maybe an actor, they are pretty fearce competitors.
"Why won't you leave me alone?"
Believe me,I wanted to say. I've tried.
Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you.
Keep it light.

ImageImageImageImage
Elisabeth33

Post by Elisabeth33 »

I always thought that, but I didn't really realize it until she said something about it. It's all about the Butterfly effect. One small difference can change the world.

Once Jasper realized she wasn't in the Ladies room anymore, they must have known where she'd gone. Edward must have been dying (on the inside at least). This is something that really upsets me to think about too, because of the way he reacted when he saw her on the floor of the dance studio.

They just wanted the best for Alice and their other daughter. Yes, I do think they were justified, I read another story where they put the boy in a mental institution for claiming the girl he loved was from a different time. They didn't want the family name damaged because of what Alice could do.

He would have done well in drama classes or as a producer, if he wasn't one already. He knew all about lighting and dramatics.
Forever_Twilight
Wandering Through Town
Location: Running as fast as I can with Edward and the Cullens on a cloudy day in Arizona

Post by Forever_Twilight »

I figured that. I mean, how do you know the future without a person's decision to do something? Decisions change constantly with humans. (hehe) We have a pretty strong power with our choices which means that we need to be careful. =)

Not very long, I'm sure. It took Bella only a short while to get to the ballet studio but the Cullens had to be careful because they were in Arizona: the most brightest place on earth.

Who knows what was going through Alice's parents heads at the time! People do crazy stuff when pressured so, that might have been the cause of why Alice was found in a mental institution. I mean, look at all the stuff that happened in the early 1900's!

James was a cruel man as a human. From what I can see, when you turn into a vampire, you still have the soul of your previous human life. He must have been a criminal and very dark. =O
<3 I've been Vamped by Edward Cullen ~ Followed by Emmett and Jasper <3
Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen
Learning to Love Green
Location: In our cottage with Edward "baking", wile Esme babysits Carlie.

Post by Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen »

I think it makes perfect sense. after all humans are very unpredictable we change our minds about things all the time so there are so many possible futures.

probably a couple of seconds after she left the bathroom.

I think Alice's parents were trying to do the best they could, Even if the decision they made did help Alice at all.

He was sadistic and cruel he enjoyed other peoples pain. He was probably turned by someone like him.
Banner by "'twahy-lahyt'" aka Shel!
Thanks Shel your amazing!!!
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

1. We learn that Alice's visions change depending on the decisions of the person she is trying to observe. Did this surprise you at all or was this how you always thought her visions worked? And what does this say about the power of our own choices? I always figured that, and it says we truly do make our own decisions, not some strange force out there.

2. How long to you think it took Alice and Jasper to figure out where Bella had gone? And how do you imagine Edward took the news? Maybe 5 minutes and Edward had a brief Volturi moment, he was probably devastated.

3. We learned that Alice was once a resident in a mental institution. What does this say about Alice's human family? Do you think they were justified because of the times they lived in? It could have been either of sympathy or fear, depending.

4. James is somewhat of a performance artist, using the mirrors to create a very effective death for Bella. What does this say about his character or his life when he was a human? He was a very visual person, probably into acting and painting.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
natterss707

Post by natterss707 »

Before we found that out I didn't think they could change. It really shows us that every single choice that we make is going to affect our life. It's actually really scary to think about. One bad move and it could all be over.. intense stuff right there.

Not very long. Alice already saw it in her vision and another one was probably brought on so they probably had some ideas as to where to go and when. Edward was probably really upset that she was able to get away and that she was by herself.

As sad as it is, I can sort of understand. I think that her family was just caring and they didn't have much knowledge back in those days so it's understandable to an extent.

He was not a nice person. Very cruel and mean. He probably got into some bad stuff.
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.
YouAreMyLifeNow
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by YouAreMyLifeNow »

I thought they showed the definate out come, not what ever they thought they were going to do at the time. Choices are powerful things that sometimes ( a lot of the time) need to be thought through.

I don't think it took that long. I bet Edward was really mad at Alice and Jasper for a little while because Bella was able to get away from them.

This shows ( in my opinion ) that her human family didn't like people that were different?

I think it shows that he.....enjoyed others pain?
I know i spell bad
Twi Mafia~Sarina Santoro
Twilight lover: Because sometimes fantasy is better than reality