A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Re: Chapter 18 ~ The Hunt

Post by pennybug84 »

1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank? I liked them okay at first. I didn't connect they had red eyes & what that meant about their diet.

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until know, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different? I felt the same way, it definitely changes.

3. On page 383, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is? I really had no idea what Alice could have been referring to. Edward's anger surprised me.

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you have suggestions over what they should have done differently at this point? I think she definitely had the best plan she wanted to protect Charlie.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
FrighteninLilMonster
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by FrighteninLilMonster »

1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank?
Yeah, I connected eye colour to blood drinking. I thought they were kind of awful, though... That they seemed seperate compared to the Cullens, and much more animalistic. I wasn't overkeen.

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until know, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different?
No, I got the same impression. It was on a roll of being romantic and light and sweet, with Bella and Edward and her meeting the Cullens, and then WHAM, suddenly she's fearing for her life. I thought it was effective, though. I didn't see it coming, and it got my adrenaline pumping.

3. On page 383, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is?
I think that Alice was talking -or rather, thinking- about him turning her into a vampire. There wouldn't be any point in James stalking her then, after all, and Edward is totally opposed to it. Alice would have already seen a vision of that anyway, as it was a possibility.

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you have suggestions over what they should have done differently at this point?
Bella had the best plan out of the ones already on the table. She found a way to keep herself and Charlie safe, something that neither Edward, Alice or Emmett had managed to fine tune detail wise yet. At this point, there wasn't much they could have done differently, apart from Bella finding a better way to let leave Charlie (her way was heartbreaking). They could have altered a few things later on, though.
'Out of nowhere, she was perched on Jasper's back, her lips at his neck.
Jasper chuckled, shaking his head.
"You truly are one frightening little monster."'
~APPC~
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank?
They were wild, more like animals ready to strike. You could tell that they were really predators. I connected the eyes to their diet, mostly because the Cullen's eyes change color when they feed.

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until know, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different?
Yes and no...I felt that we still had this wonderful love story, where Edward and Bella's relationship was the most important thing. But things definitly changed, the pace increased, it was a matter of life and death now.

3. On page 383, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is?
Alice was thinking that Edward should change Bella. I think that Edward was right not to do it at the time. They hadn't really talked about it, and becoming a vampire would be a huge decision that they should not make while being hunted.

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you have suggestions over what they should have done differently at this point?
Bella had the best plan. Of course they had to make sure that Charlie was safe, and that he didn't call the FBI and have Edward arrested for kidnapping...And knowing Charlie, he probably would have. Edward was just so focused on Bella, I don't think he even remembered Charlie. I'm not sure that she should have separated from Edward. But then again, it's hard to say.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
catchick
Settled in Forks

Post by catchick »

I found them to be kind of wild, and less civilized, as a group. I didn't really think much of them as individuals, I kind of just thought of them as a group, not thinking that I'd see them much again in the future. I noticed that their eyes were different, but I didn't immediately suspect that they drank human blood when I read that.

Yes, I did get the same impression. I found it to be a pretty peaceful book, and then the nomads came, and it totally changed. I wasn't expecting that to happen.

I think the other option is changing Bella, because if Bella was a vampire, James couldn't hunt her anymore.

I think Bella's plan was pretty good, because that way, she was safe and so was Charlie. Also, Charlie didn't think she's been kidnapped. They could have made plans later on though, and that outcome could have been prevented.
aliacullen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by aliacullen »

i was scared for bella due to everyone elses reaction. but as the laurent spoke he seem friendly he just wanted to play so i didnt really think any negative about them only that thier are the non veg vampires.
yeah i did connect thier eyes to thoer diet

yeah i got that all throught the book was kinda a forbidden love story but now there is some action in it

i haveno idea what option thought of and i didnt understand why edward didnt trust her like normally

i think she had a good plan a way to protect her father but im sure they was other options
you.are.my.heroin
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

i was scared, mostly of james and victoria. and yeah cause edwards change when he eats

yeah i got the same impression

I was like what edward always truts alice and i thought the other option was fight

Yup, nope, nothing well saying i liked they way things worked would be wrong so i'll say i like the way the stroy was written
**Kathryn**
TillyWhitlock
Playing Thunderball
Location: Wandering through the forest hoping to stumble upon Jasper

Post by TillyWhitlock »

As soon as they walked up I was like crap! Here we go. I had a feeling that the red eyes meant they were human eaters… (that sounds funny to me). I was scared for Bella to a degree.

I do, but I think it needed to be there. I don’t think to romance could carry on for much more. There needed to be some sort of action to it.

Gut instinct told me that she saw her vision again. But then I was like well maybe not. No one is decided. I was like maybe she got a vision of Jazz and her with Bella.

I do think that Bella’s plan was the best. However, there were flaws. I don’t think I would have had Edward walk me to the door. I would have had Emmett. I think that Bella could have produced so much more anger had Emmett and Alice tried to separate her from Edward from the word go. But that’s just me.
Garage,Bodyguard,APPC,EDC
"Drug" Dealer to THE 6. The price: One bottle of Honey or Syrup.

SarahGoddard~ The Best Lexling ever!
Twi-Twin=Kimmy
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

They seemed pretty intimidating. It's one thing to be around someone so much strong than you who is determined NOT to kill you versus someone who lives to kill you (obviously). I did associate the blood drinking/eye color because we learned about it from Edward.

Oh absolutely I felt the same! It changed from romance-with-interesting-twist to romance-with-death-threat. I thought that SM incorporated it into the plot line to really prove E & B's loyalty to each other.

The other option is to turn Bella. Edward isn't ready yet, he still thinks the best option is for Bella to stay human.

Bella's plan was kind of tricky, and I think that was the best part of it. I'm pretty sure James would've still followed Edward & Bella and found a weakness of Bella's to draw her away from him.

Image Image Image
futurevampire
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by futurevampire »

They seemed okay at first. I liked them. Except James. I didn't like him after he attacked. Obviously. I knew they killed people, but they were vampires. They were just noraml. I think I probably caught like their red eyes were because of the people, yeah.
It was much different. The rest of the book was just 'La di dah, this stuff is happening, but there's no real plot or problem...' and then all of a sudden it changes to action like 'Oh, this is what we were getting to..' Before it was them falling in love. After this chapter, I don't like it as much. Until The Angel chapter and the Epilogue.
I think she saw that Bella was coming up with something, and they could come up with a better plan than Edward's. I was kind of scared of Scary Edward and annoyed that he was angry instead of listening to Alice. She knows what she's talking about.
I think Bella did have the best plan. James was smart enough to know that Edward would be with Bella. They did fool him, but Bella shouldn't have gone to Phoenix. She should have gone somewhere else, where it would be less likely James could get her at home. Alice could also have handcuffed herself to Bella. Then James wouldn't have been able to get to her..
Edward and Bella Forever!!!<3 :: Lexicalia :: Team Esme!
Mafia: Natalia Gravano/Nat :: I'm on The List!! ~Marisa
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tonya »

1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank? Right off the bat it confused me that the all assumed Laurent was the leader. Since James stepped out first then fell back. I knew to be worried by the Cullen's reaction to them being so close. Yes I knew the red eyes were from drinking human blood.

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until know, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different? I felt the same it was like I started reading a completely different book. I did not expect it o take this turn.

3. On page 383, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is? At the time I just thought she was going to suggest they stay and keep Bella under watch 24/7 and that he didn't want to hear it because he thought running was the best thing to do.

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you have suggestions over what they should have done differently at this point? I think both there plans sucked. I thought what I thought Alice was going to suggest would have been best. For them to stay in Forks wait for James to strike and kill him. Running is never a good plan especially from wild animals! ;)