A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
edward x lover
Fishing with Charlie

Re: Chapter 17 ~ The Game

Post by edward x lover »

1) What did you think of Billy's conversation with Bella and her response?
I think he should mind his own freakin' business. And I think Bella should have been meaner.

2) Did you approve of the way Charlie treated Edward as the first boyfriend Bella ever brought home?
He was just being a typical dad. My dad would do the same.

3) Edward talks about his inner turmoil regarding constantly putting Bella into danger. Do you think he is to hard on himself?
YES. She is a danger magnet it's not his fault. He should cut himself a little slack.

4) Edward finally says "I love you". Were you disappointed in how it came out almost off-handedly.
No. It was perfect for the moment.

5) We learn more about Esme, was your impression of her changed after learning more about her?
Nope. She is still the motherly type I thought she was.
~Lee~
Team Ian because human guys can be perfect.
Team Edward-Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901
RDC<3
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Billy meant well. As a good friend of the family, he was trying to look out for Bella, figuring she might not have known what she was getting herself in to. But, in the end, when he figured out how much Bella knew, he probably should have just let it go.

2) Did you approve of the way Charlie treated Edward as the first boyfriend Bella ever brought home?
It really helped that Edward was so respectful. I am willing to bet Charlie didn't really expect that level of respect, and it taught him a lot about Edward very quickly. All things considered, it went really well.

3) Edward talks about his inner turmoil regarding constantly putting Bella into danger. Do you think he is to hard on himself?
No, not at this point. He still poses a very real danger to Bella, no matter how good his self-control. The fact that he is so aware of it, is conflicted by it, shows how much he truly loves her.

4) Edward finally says "I love you". Were you disappointed in how it came out almost off-handedly.
Not at all. For most men, it turns into such a struggle. When is the right time? How vulnerable am I making myself? Does she feel the same? He said it as a statement of fact, something that was just as known and universal as 1 + 1 = 2. That made it so much better than if there had been some huge build up.

5) We learn more about Esme, was your impression of her changed after learning more about her?
No. It just made me more curious to hear her whole story. There is so much more there.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
4everklutzy
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by 4everklutzy »

I think that Billy felt a responsibility to warn Bella of what she was getting into--she's his best friend's only child. I don't think he would've really told Charlie because of the treaty and because he and Charlie have gotten into over the Cullens before. I think that Bella handled it pretty well, only verging on the point of rudeness. She made it clear that she knew what was going on, maybe better than Billy, and that it was HER business.

Charlie was being a protective dad--pretty normal. While he was questioning of Bella, expressing his shock at her suddenly having a boyfriend when she hasn't shown any inclinations to having one before, he was polite to Edward--finally getting his name right ;) It slayed me, in the movie, with the gun cleaning and the pepper spray!

3) Edward talks about his inner turmoil regarding constantly putting Bella into danger. Do you think he is too hard on himself?
Edward needs to be hard on himself if he is to maintain control to avoid accidentally hurting Bella. That being said, he's a bit too hard on himself. Bella is a danger magnet, and not all danger that comes her way is his fault.

Well, Edward has told Bella that she's his life, that he couldn't bear to cause her harm and how he sometimes hates himself because he can't bear to leave her to keep her safe, so he's already told and shown her how much he cares for her already. I kind of thought that when he tells her, it's like icing on the cake. Still, it's nice to hear the actual words.

My impression of her didn't change so much as it was enhanced. I liked Esme from the beginning, but knowing her "back story" made me understand and appreciate her more. I can't imagine anything more devastating than losing a child, especially your first and only. I'm glad that she has her vampire family.
Sydflower
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by Sydflower »

Pssh.. I was like, let her be Billy! You are not her father..

It was hysterical lol. I was imagining in my head and laughing.

Yes! He has already fought for so much control.. he should know by now what is right. He is a tard sometimes.

Aww no! It was so cute. I loved it.

No, she was still sweet motherly Esme!
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Alphie wrote:1) What did you think of Billy's conversation with Bella and her response?

1)I know that Billy was worried about Bella's involvement with Edward. He was not trying to be mean.
I also understand Bella's response to Billy. As a teen, she could have been really disrespectful towards him, but choice to reign that in.

2) He did not bother me either way.

3)Yep.

4)No.

5)I always liked her. She came across as a truly warm and approachable woman.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
scarlet_forever
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by scarlet_forever »

I was annoyed w/ him, but I could see where he was coming from. When I was first read Twilight, I knew something was up w/ him and that he also had some sort of secret for why he didn't like the Cullens. I think Bella's answere was normal. I mean I would get like that too if someone didn't like my fiance.. ;)

I thought it was funny. Secretly, I think he wanted her around the house all the time. It showed his fatherly love and protectiveness coming out. lol.

No, he has to constantly watch himself now. Things that come even naturally to him, he is having to really think about now. Like he said, one wrong accidental touch and that could kill/ hurt Bella.

No, w/ Edward you always expect the unexpected. Well at least I do. He almost doesn't have to say anything. Their relationship is anything but a *fling*. His actions speak louder than words.

No, I still see her as loving and almost timid.
Xx~Scarlet_forever~xX

*~* Do you think that I could be scary?*~*
*~* What if I'm not a superhero? What if I'm the bad guy?*~*
*~* As long as I'm going to hell, I migh as well do it thoroughly*~*
*~* You smell so good in the rain*~*
sazykid

Post by sazykid »

Billy was worried about Bella and he didn't think she was as informed as she was. I think he could have found a better way to talk to her though. Bella did the best she could with the situation. She had an idea of what she was getting into and she appreciated Billy apprehension, but she wanted him to back off.

I thought Charlie did very well. He treated Edward the way most fathers would treat their daughters first boyfriend.

He is a little bit too hard on himself. He does need to be extremely aware of everything he does, because Bella is so fragile. However, Bella is well informed and he needs to trust that she loves him.

You can tell he loves Bella simply by his actions. The surprise of his words made Bella happy and that was what made it sweet. She knew the words were true because they were out of nowhere. The words meant more than just enjoying a moment, they were true.

It made me sad for her that she had lost so much. But, it made me see that she really was a caring mother and did love her family. Her background reinforced the idea that she just wanted her "kids" to be happy.
Dorito
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Dorito »

Obviously he's very protective and didn't want her to be around Edward or the Cullens. Feels like Bella came off rude.

Yeah, it seemed fine.

Not at all, I say the same.

I didn't even catch it until Bella stated she heard him say it. Pretty sly, but then people don't really talk like that anymore.

Not really, just very nurturing.
I'll be your Edward if you'll be my Bellas
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1) What did you think of Billy's conversation with Bella and her response? I though he was butting in and I don't blame her how she responded.

2) Did you approve of the way Charlie treated Edward as the first boyfriend Bella ever brought home? Yup. It's just as weird for him as it is for them.

3) Edward talks about his inner turmoil regarding constantly putting Bella into danger. Do you think he is to hard on himself? Yes

4) Edward finally says "I love you". Were you disappointed in how it came out almost off-handedly. Yes. I really wanted a more sweet moment.

5) We learn more about Esme, was your impression of her changed after learning more about her? Nope. I already liked her & thought she was a sweet motherly person.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
you.are.my.heroin

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

he was butting in and i think her response was funny

yup he's a protective father

yes and no, he knows the real dangers that his world holds but then again he's sometimes a little over bearing

no becuse he loves her so much that it just come out it's natrual

nope
**Kathryn**