A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Re: Chapter 15 ~ The Cullens

Post by navarre »

Alphie wrote:1. What were your impressions of the house that the Cullens live in?

2. This is the first time Bella meets the Cullens ( other than Carlisle ) and gets to for an impression based on her experience alone. In other words, Edward no longer describes them for her, she gets to see them herself. In this chapter, she mostly interacts with Carlisle and Esme, what were your impressions of them.

3. There is a brief mention of Alice having seen the visit of other vampires. What was your reaction to this when you first read it? Did you have any idea that it would turn into the large disaster that takes over until the end of the novel?

4. Edward and Bella describe being nervous about meeting/interacting with each other's families as boyfriend and girlfriend. Who do you think is more nervous Edward or Bella and why?
1) It sounded like a warm and inviting place. Very classy, but understated at the same time.

2)That they were welcoming and warm to Bella. They seemed truly glad to meet her at last.

3)That there could be trouble. The author gave the impression that this could become an intense moment just by writing it in the story.

4) Bella. Because she was afraid they would not like her or accept her. Edward knows how to act. He was the one who mentioned meeting her father first.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
scarlet_forever
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by scarlet_forever »

1. What were your impressions of the house that the Cullens live in?
I expected it to kind of be in the middle of nowhere...that way no one to watch when they come or go and they can get away w/ it since Carlisle is a doctor.

2. This is the first time Bella meets the Cullens ( other than Carlisle ) and gets to for an impression based on her experience alone. In other words, Edward no longer describes them for her, she gets to see them herself. In this chapter, she mostly interacts with Carlisle and Esme, what were your impressions of them.
They are both so loving and supportive of Edward. Esme seems like a loving mom to all her 'children'. Carlisle is really cool in the sense that he is the leader and 'father' figure.

3. There is a brief mention of Alice having seen the visit of other vampires. What was your reaction to this when you first read it? Did you have any idea that it would turn into the large disaster that takes over until the end of the novel?
I was excited I knew something was going to happen, but wasn't sure if it was good or bad. I didn't see the disaster coming at all.

4. Edward and Bella describe being nervous about meeting/interacting with each other's families as boyfriend and girlfriend. Who do you think is more nervous Edward or Bella and why?
I think Edward, since Bella is more nervous about not being liked. He has to constantly be on his toes. I think he is especially concerned about Jasper. His family could flip on Bella at any moment.
Xx~Scarlet_forever~xX

*~* Do you think that I could be scary?*~*
*~* What if I'm not a superhero? What if I'm the bad guy?*~*
*~* As long as I'm going to hell, I migh as well do it thoroughly*~*
*~* You smell so good in the rain*~*
sazykid

Post by sazykid »

Their house seemed very homey. It makes sense that thier house is in the middle of a forest, I just didn't expect that. I guess I figured that their house would be an extreme version of "the norm" so they didn't stick out to humans. I like that it was out of the way though, because like Edward says, that is the one place they don't have to hide.

2. This is the first time Bella meets the Cullens ( other than Carlisle ) and gets an impression based on her experience alone. In other words, Edward no longer describes them for her, she gets to see them herself. In this chapter, she mostly interacts with Carlisle and Esme, what were your impressions of them.
I liked them. They were welcoming and happy to see Bella. They love their "kids" and I think they were mostly just happy to see that Edward finally found someone.

I figured Bella would have to be super careful since apparently she smelled good to everyone. However, I had no idea that the visiting vampires would cause so much trouble.

Father's can be very protective of their daughters, and so I'm sure Edward was nervous. Who could blame him? But, in this case, I think Bella was probably most nervous. She had to meet his WHOLE family in one afternoon. She was worried they wouldn't like her, but she also had to be cautious because she was a delicious smelling human entering a house full of vampires.
Dorito
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Dorito »

Just amazing, like a dream house.

Very welcoming, the kind of parents anyone would dream to have.

I figured upon some sort of entanglement, but nowhere near what happens.

Edward, with the larger family and the thoughts of a human being in their home may seem odd, given their thirst.
I'll be your Edward if you'll be my Bellas
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. What were your impressions of the house that the Cullens live in? It is a very beautiful wonderful house.

2. This is the first time Bella meets the Cullens ( other than Carlisle ) and gets to for an impression based on her experience alone. In other words, Edward no longer describes them for her, she gets to see them herself. In this chapter, she mostly interacts with Carlisle and Esme, what were your impressions of them. I loved them. They're both so sweet and welcoming.

3. There is a brief mention of Alice having seen the visit of other vampires. What was your reaction to this when you first read it? Did you have any idea that it would turn into the large disaster that takes over until the end of the novel? I didn't read anything into it. I had no idea that would form the rest of the story.

4. Edward and Bella describe being nervous about meeting/interacting with each other's families as boyfriend and girlfriend. Who do you think is more nervous Edward or Bella and why? I think Edward. This is the first time she's really immersed (?sp) into Edward's world & who knows what'll happen or what Bella will thinks.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
you.are.my.heroin

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

Yes if i ever win the lottery i will have that exact house built

i love them they're so kind and loving it's sweet

No i was like oh other vampires coming to visit nothing to strange about that

Edward beacue he has the whole vampire going crazy and trying to kill bella kinda thing to worry about
**Kathryn**
DramaPrincezz013
Wrestling With Emmett
Location: Bouncing back and forth between Forks and Mystic Falls

Post by DramaPrincezz013 »

1. What were your impressions of the house that the Cullens live in?\
I wasn't really surprised. Based on everything else that happened before hand, and how SM's vampires are just so different, I knew the Cullen house was going to be different too. No dungeons, coffins, or moats. :]

Esme was so kind, loving, and sweet. She made Bella seem apart of the family right away.Carlise was the same way.

I didn't think anything of it. I really wasn't expecting that that was the turn the novel would take.

Bella, most definately. Bella already knows Rosalie dislikes her, and they're vampires, after all. Kind of intimidating. Edward didn't really have anything to be nervous about.
The ListV2~Apple::::Mafia~Eva DiMarco::::On bunches of teams!
"You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be, and I don't wanna go home right now." </3
chowzinha
Learning to Love Green

Post by chowzinha »

Since I saw the movie before reading the book (the movie made me want to read it), I was trying to imagine something like that... I missed some of the elements that are only present in the movie, but, on the other hand, I wish that the movie could have incorporated the entire chapter in it.

That is why this is actually one of my favorite chapters of the book! When I saw the movie, I just thought that there were something missing, I could not wait to read it from the book and find out more about the Cullens. I was already in love with Carlisle, and knowing his past history just made him so much more interesting. And Esme simply blew me away! It's a shame the movie decided that she is not a character worth digging, because she makes hell of a impression on people. It's also a shame that Bella's view on Esme is a little brief...

At first, I just thought that she was having one of her normal visions, and that Edward's protective reaction was way out of line. But then, it is Edward we are talking about. I didn't have the slightest idea it would turn out to be the climax!

I think that Bella was definitely much more nervous on meeting the Cullens than Edward meeting Charlie. But what I think is the real deal (since there was no reason for Edward to be nervous - he can read mind-), who was more nervous during Bella's visit on the Cullens. In that case, I believe they were both nervous, but about different things.
FrighteninLilMonster
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by FrighteninLilMonster »

I thought it sounded beautiful, and fitting with my impressions of the Cullens, through Edward's descriptions and reading Dark High Noon.

Carlisle seemed every bit as nice as he was in the hospital, so my impression of him didn't change from the earlier one; I just warmed to him even more. Esme seemed amazingly adorable, motherly and sweet. So much so that it almost shocked me that Bella noted she was icy cold and granite hard, too. I expected her to be warm and soft, forgetting that she was actually a vampire.

I figured it was going to be doom time, that it wouldn't be mentioned now if it wasn't important later. I didn't know why, though; whether it would be because Edward was going to get overbearing and that would start trouble in paradise, or because Bella would end up in crazy levels of danger. I figured probably the latter by her nature.

Bella. She has more people, for one, to be introduced to. Edward only has Charlie, who already knew him as one of the angelic Cullen children; on the other hand, Bella has a family of vampires to meet, who know that she knows more than possibly any other human on the planet about their secrets, knows that they will be struggling with their natural instinct to drain her of her blood the whole time, and knows how important it must be for Edward to be taking someone to meet them, knowing that this is total true love. No pressure, or anything. Besides, Edward can read Charlie's mind and have a split second advantage of knowing what's coming; Bella has no such thing.
'Out of nowhere, she was perched on Jasper's back, her lips at his neck.
Jasper chuckled, shaking his head.
"You truly are one frightening little monster."'
~APPC~
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

A beautiful house. I expected them to live in a house like that, light and nice.

Loving and caring parents, who want the best for Edward. They are so nice and friendly to Bella from the start. Carlisle is truly a good person. Esme is sweet and warm, the kind of person you would like to be your mother.

I expected something to happen. I think that everything that SM writes is there for a reason, to be used later. And of course when a group of vampires that are not "vegetarian" comes to town, there is a good chance there will be trouble.

I think that Bella was the most nervous for several reasons. First of all, she is nervous to explain to Charlie that she has a boyfriend, since Charlie and her are not very open about emotions. In Edward's house, they don't have secrets, so everyone there already knew about Bella. Secondly, because she is about to meet a bunch of vampires and does not what they think of her relationship with their son/brother, and there might be physical danger. Although I do not think Edward would have brought her to the house if he had thought that she might get hurt. And last, Edward was the one who initiated the whole meeting the parents-thing, so he probably wasn't too nervous to meet Charlie. He knew him a bit already, and Charlie posed no threat to Edward.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~