A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 15 ~ The Cullens

Post by Alphie »

1. What were your impressions of the house that the Cullens live in?

2. This is the first time Bella meets the Cullens ( other than Carlisle ) and gets to for an impression based on her experience alone. In other words, Edward no longer describes them for her, she gets to see them herself. In this chapter, she mostly interacts with Carlisle and Esme, what were your impressions of them.

3. There is a brief mention of Alice having seen the visit of other vampires. What was your reaction to this when you first read it? Did you have any idea that it would turn into the large disaster that takes over until the end of the novel?

4. Edward and Bella describe being nervous about meeting/interacting with each other's families as boyfriend and girlfriend. Who do you think is more nervous Edward or Bella and why?
pixiealice
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter 15 ~ The Cullens

Post by pixiealice »

. What were your impressions of the house that the Cullens live in?
It wasn't the Addam's Family house, that's for sure. It was light and pure, not menacing.

2. This is the first time Bella meets the Cullens ( other than Carlisle ) and gets to for an impression based on her experience alone. In other words, Edward no longer describes them for her, she gets to see them herself. In this chapter, she mostly interacts with Carlisle and Esme, what were your impressions of them.
I love them. Doting parents, full of love for their "children" They would have been superb parents if they were able too.

3. There is a brief mention of Alice having seen the visit of other vampires. What was your reaction to this when you first read it? Did you have any idea that it would turn into the large disaster that takes over until the end of the novel?
My first thought was "Oh shoot" If the Cullens are rare in their life style, then obviously the visiting vamps were "normal" That would have scared the bajeebers out of me right then and there hearing of "curious" vampires coming.

4. Edward and Bella describe being nervous about meeting/interacting with each other's families as boyfriend and girlfriend. Who do you think is more nervous Edward or Bella and why?
Bella. Her and Charlie don't have an open relationship, do ask, don't tell. Charlie was horribly uncomfortable having the "sex" talk with Bella, and Bella knew he'd be uncomfortable if he knew Bella had a boyfriend. then he'd have to deal with teenage girl hormones and issues.
la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

It seemed to be a regal home on the outside, like it would just be like a museum inside. I was happy when Bella entered and it was homey and lived in.

Carlisle and Esme are like the perfect parents! They clearly love their 'kids' and eachother immensely.

I only thought something bad could happen because the Cullen's didn't seem relaxed about the visit. I had no idea this visit would be the crux of the remainder of the story.

I think Edward is paranoid Charlie will find out what he is and freak out (which is kind of logical). I think Bella's issues were more centered on the fact that she was convinced that Edward could n ever really like someone like her.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
gordonfan08
Wandering Through Town

Post by gordonfan08 »

1. What were your impressions of the house that the Cullens live in? The house sounded very old school, but updated at the same time. It seems to fit perfectly with the Cullens.

2. This is the first time Bella meets the Cullens ( other than Carlisle ) and gets to for an impression based on her experience alone. In other words, Edward no longer describes them for her, she gets to see them herself. In this chapter, she mostly interacts with Carlisle and Esme, what were your impressions of them. They were awesome, and they love their family very much. For them not to freak out when Edward brings home a human girlfriend, you know they must love and respect that boy very much.

3. There is a brief mention of Alice having seen the visit of other vampires. What was your reaction to this when you first read it? Did you have any idea that it would turn into the large disaster that takes over until the end of the novel? I didn't really think much of Alice's vision at the time and thus I did not anticipate the disaster at the end.

4. Edward and Bella describe being nervous about meeting/interacting with each other's families as boyfriend and girlfriend. Who do you think is more nervous Edward or Bella and why? I think Edward is more nervous about meeting Charlie. Bella has not been nervous around Edward from the get go, so even though she wants to make a good impression I don't think she is nervous being around a bunch of vampires. Edward on the other hand, has several things to worry about in meeting Bella's dad. First of all, he's a teenage boy meeting his teenage girlfriends father for the first time. That in an of itself brings on a whole bevy of angst. Throw in the fact that he has an overwhelming urge to kill humans and that makes it even harder for him.
jacob-rox-my--sox
Learning to Love Green

Post by jacob-rox-my--sox »

this is my favourite chapter of twilight!

wow! i always imagined it as one of those old cotten plantation houses-just with more glass
i want a houise like that!

i always loved the cullens--of couse there was the instant dislike to rosalie that stayed
but i liked getting to know evryone. and esme was soo motherly-- i liked her straightaway--

no way..just thought she was mentioning it

edward
i think he thoigh jasper might lose control and kill her....maybe
or that they might not like bella..therefore creating tension between a very closely knit family
eliselovesedwardx
Completely Dazzled!

Post by eliselovesedwardx »

I think it sounds like a really simple but beautiful home, i would've loved to have been Bella walking into it for the first time, it would've been sooo overwhelming and i would've been afraid to touch anything cause it was all so perfect!

They sounded like the most perfect parents: loving, accepting and totally amazing people to have been brought up by

I honestly just brushed it off and didn't think anything of it so when the innocent meeting turned into the hunt and game it took me by surprise!

I think Bella would've been the most nervous because besides the obvious that she was about to meet a house full of vampires of which are all perfectly beautiful and gorgeous, but Edward had a fair view of what Charlie thought of him and how he felt about the situation so he was more prepared and Bella is very self-conscious about herself already, to go meet 6 perfect people was would've been very daugnting!
::Elise:: Backhoe Operator for EDC, Inc~EDC's Cheer Squad Captain!
I'm on the List~The names Mooner
*Bloodlust*
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by *Bloodlust* »

Honestly...not much of an impression. I was too excited to actually meet them. I barely took in any details. 'Big' and 'white' were about all I got.

By then, I was already in love with Carlisle after what we'd seen of him in the hospital. It only made sense that his mate would be just as lovely. It was insta-love with Cullen Mama and Papa. I thought it was interesting Esme said "It's very nice to know you" rather than "meet" you. It showed something of who she is.

Once again, I was too lost in Edward's eyes to take much notice. I vaguely thought..."Huh." Then, "Edward's such a great piano player." It never really occured to me... PLOT POINT!

Definitely Bella. Edward, well he's nervous, but he knows the overall gist of what Charlie will be thinking and Charlie's human; there's not much danger on either side. While with Bella, she's about to meet a large group of vampires(though that's not her biggest problem) and she knows she's in love with Edward, so she NEEDS them to like her. There's definitely more nervousness on her side. Understandably too.
WARNING: EDWARD CULLEN IS NOT EFFECTIVE BIRTH CONTROL! E<3B
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ashleygill03 »

It's not exactly what I was expecting. I figured it would be way back in the woods somewhere off the beaten path. I thought it would be much bigger though, and not as open. But, I'm glad it is.. I think it suits them.

I loved the whole family more than I thought I would. Alice is just so bubbly and happy that you can't even help but love her. Carlisle and Esme are so hospitable. I was glad they welcomed Bella with open arms and made her feel as if she was home. I wish Rose would have been there.

I figured it would escalate. The book needed a big conflict, so this seemed the reasonable explanation.

I think Bella is definitely more nervous. She is so self-concious and so worried they won't like her or accept her. I didn't really get the feeling that Edward was very nervous to meet Charlie since he asked her to introduce him to Charlie as her boyfriend.
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

I so agree with *bloodlust* who got that the house was big and white... in excitement to read... I had the same reaction. I did not expect this to be the house they would live in... big and white. I was surprised at so much white.

2. This is the first time Bella meets the Cullens ( other than Carlisle ) and gets to for an impression based on her experience alone. In other words, Edward no longer describes them for her, she gets to see them herself. In this chapter, she mostly interacts with Carlisle and Esme, what were your impressions of them.I like them. I can't imagine not liking them, being Edwards family. They were kind, welcoming. I can say, I picking up a lot that I missed the first time I read it.

Heck no! - I didn't ever expect the thurn of events.

I think Bella is probably a little... no a lot more nervous. Edward isn't used to being rejected in life, so while he probably was nervous rightfully so. Edward also has Alice's ability to see some of the future, she'd probably warn Edward if there would be a problem. Also, Edward was the one who WANTED both families to know about the relationship. I actually could go on and on... but, I'll save you all.

*jumps off soap box*
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
trhmllr
Learning to Love Green

Post by trhmllr »

1. What were your impressions of the house that the Cullen's live in?
I liked it... I was glad Stephenie broke out of the stereotype of vampire's houses. I like that it was a "Home" not just a place to live. It suited them. It was a place they could be themselves and not be in so much fear of discovery!

2. This is the first time Bella meets the Cullen's ( other than Carlisle ) and gets to for an impression based on her experience alone. In other words, Edward no longer describes them for her, she gets to see them herself. In this chapter, she mostly interacts with Carlisle and Esme, what were your impressions of them.
I loved Carlisle and Esme... They sound like the perfect parents. They accept Bella for who and what she is. They know how Edward feels about her and how he has changed because of her. They want him to be happy. I love Alice... just has that type of personality that you can't help but like her!!! I wasn't surprised that Rose wasn't there. But I was glad they welcomed Bella and were so nice to her.

I knew it had to be important because they mentioned it. I didn't know it would be THAT big of a deal, but I knew they would cause problems. It was obvious that we would soon meet them.

Bella. Not because she is meeting a houseful of vampires (I love the fact that wasn't her fear...) but because she knows how perfect they all are. She is a normal, not very special, human!!! Dating the most perfect being in history and meeting his perfect family... That is scary. Edward knows that Charlie will be okay with him. Like everyone has said Edward has a good idea what Charlie would think. Plus Charlie has said he likes the Cullen's and defends them from Billy and so he has no reason to be nervous. Bella also feels she doesn't belong with Edward (meaning he is to perfect for her and one day he will figure that out and leave) and she is afraid meeting his family will just prove that point. Or they will point it out as well.
ImageImage