A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
fiish3
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 15 ~ The Cullens

Post by fiish3 »

1. What were your impressions of the house that the Cullens live in?
I imagined that it was really pretty, unexpected though. I thought it might look abit more traditional like very dark and cob wbes everywhere. But then again this isnt a traditional vampire story, its modern sexy vampires :lol:

2. This is the first time Bella meets the Cullens ( other than Carlisle ) and gets to for an impression based on her experience alone. In other words, Edward no longer describes them for her, she gets to see them herself. In this chapter, she mostly interacts with Carlisle and Esme, what were your impressions of them.
I think that both of them are being distant, probably as a precaution, Emsmee seems really nice, i started to like her straight away. Her character is so loveable. As for carlisle, it took me forever to learn how to pronounce his name. My friend had to tell me how to say it. He seems sensible and very much a father figure.

3. There is a brief mention of Alice having seen the visit of other vampires. What was your reaction to this when you first read it? Did you have any idea that it would turn into the large disaster that takes over until the end of the novel?
I didnt react to it much because it was very brief, i didnt know that it would turn out to be such a disaster either, that was surprising and thrilling!

4. Edward and Bella describe being nervous about meeting/interacting with each other's families as boyfriend and girlfriend. Who do you think is more nervous Edward or Bella and why?
Bella, because its a house full of vampires ! and she pretty much thinks of her self as insignificant compared to them. Edward seems fine he can read charlies mind say say what he wants to hear.
Twilightlover101
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Twilightlover101 »

I thought it quite ironic actually.

2. This is the first time Bella meets the Cullens ( other than Carlisle ) and gets to for an impression based on her experience alone. In other words, Edward no longer describes them for her, she gets to see them herself. In this chapter, she mostly interacts with Carlisle and Esme, what were your impressions of them.
I think they are both loving and caring people and also quite selfless.

3. There is a brief mention of Alice having seen the visit of other vampires. What was your reaction to this when you first read it? Did you have any idea that it would turn into the large disaster that takes over until the end of the novel?
I was surprised that SM regarded that other vampires did exist.

4. Edward and Bella describe being nervous about meeting/interacting with each other's families as boyfriend and girlfriend. Who do you think is more nervous Edward or Bella and why?
Bella.
viokagloring
Wandering Through Town

Post by viokagloring »

well seeing how the traditional idea of what a vampire goes home to is dark, dreary, spider infested, bats, coffins, cob webs and such, i thought it was quite ironic that they lived the exact oppisite. but somehow i wasnt expecting that for the Cullens. they are not normal vampires so neither would anything else about them would be including their living situation. somehow their big white on white house fit them perfectly to me at least.

2. This is the first time Bella meets the Cullens ( other than Carlisle ) and gets to form an impression based on her experience alone. In other words, Edward no longer describes them for her, she gets to see them herself. In this chapter, she mostly interacts with Carlisle and Esme, what were your impressions of them.

i thought both of them were really sweet and kind. though they were both cautious, theyve probably never had a human in their house before. haha. Esme really seemed loving to me. able to love Bella no matter what. Carlisle was just as before really sweet and courteous. they both were considering and let Bella and Edward have space.

i had some hint. sort of a bad feeling in my gut. haha. but i certainly was not expecting it to be such a big thing.

again i think they were equal in this area too. neither of them have ever had this experience before so they are both nervous as to what their families might think. Bella just cringes at the the thought of her dad and Edward and the word boyfriend in the same sentence. she resists telling her dad, shes nervous. maybe it was a little less pressure on Edward's side. his family knows that he has been alone for so long and his parent figures want him to find someone to be with. and since they think that, Edward knows that too. so he knows that whoever he decides will be good enough for them too. but nonetheless, they probably were not expecting a human.

...strong emotions can alter us in permanent ways.
ashiekins16
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by ashiekins16 »

I thought it was amazing. I was surprised at how elegant of a house it was that vampires were living in it.

I loved them. They were so warm towards Bella. Esme is so sweet and she really cares because she knows how important Bella is to Edward.

I guess I wasn't really sure.

Hm, they were both probably extremely nervous, but I think Edward may have been more just because of her being human. But also Bella was afraid to tell Charlie because Charlie might overreact because its his little girl.
Randomness Regular since #7 E<3B
Team Bill...er, no Eric..no Bill.. :)
'twahy-lahyt'
Lusting for Blood

Post by 'twahy-lahyt' »

The way it was described was a little bit surprising, i mean it's not that i was expecting the Adam's Family house, but I also wasn't expecting it to be so light, open and airy. And I really liked how Edward said that it's the only place they don't have to hide.

I really liked them, I liked how they were being carful around Bella, you know not trying to scare her, so that really showed me that they were caring.
I love how Esme treats Edward because it really showed that she really loved him, and cared for him like her own son.

Scared for Bella. Danger Magnet. I knew it couldn't be good if they came at the wrong time.
I pretty much figured they were going to be the conflict, but i wasn't sure how they were going to be introduced into the story.

Umm I'm not really sure because any one of Edward's family could easily kill Bella in a split second, so that must have made him real nervous, but Bella and Charlie's relationship hasn't ever been open, and this is the first person she's ever dated, and she not only likes him a lot , but she is in love with him, and I think that it was scary for her because she really wanted Charlie to like Edward, and didn't know if he would. Sooo I personally think Edward's fears are more prominent, but Bella's are just as important, at least to her.
Destani
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Destani »

The location sounded breathtaking. The exterior of the house wasn't really a surprise. I was surprised by how modern and colorless the interior was described. If I had to look at nothing but white walls and furniture all day, I think I'd go nuts.

2. This is the first time Bella meets the Cullens ( other than Carlisle ) and gets to form an impression based on her experience alone. In other words, Edward no longer describes them for her, she gets to see them herself. In this chapter, she mostly interacts with Carlisle and Esme, what were your impressions of them.
They were both very polite and concerned about Bella's comfort. Esme seemed like a typical mother in the way she interacted with her "children."

I didn't have a very strong reaction to this information. I thought that it could cause problems but with Alice's visions and Edward's desire to keep Bella protected, I believed that it could also possibly be avoided. I didn't know the other vampires would arrive so unexpectedly.

I think Bella is more nervous. Not only does she have to worry about Edward's family liking her, she also knows that they could kill her. She seems to be the most hesitant about taking their relationship out into the open. She's shy about meeting the Cullens and nervous about telling her own father. Edward is the one who suggested both so that's why I'm going with less nervous for him.
Images courtesy of: http://robbuz.deviantart.com/
*TwilightIsMyDrug*
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by *TwilightIsMyDrug* »

I had no idea what to expect when first reading this, I believe I was as surprised as Bella. It sounded very lovely and I think SM did a great job describing it.

Lovely. :-)

I was nervous. I could tell this would be a big part of the story.

Good question. You know, I sort of think they are equally nervous. But Edward has the advantage of reading Charlie's mind. I love this part of the book, it shows how innocent they both are. Even though Edward is great at everything he does, he is still nervous about meeting his first girlfriends dad. It's really cute.
"You don't know how long I've waited for you."
Team Edward
corinnejca
Wandering Through Town

Post by corinnejca »

I loved it! It sounded like just my style; very simple, light feeling, with lots of white. I wanted to move in immediately. It sounded incredibly comfortable.

I actually felt intimidated by Carlisle; I don't know how Bella didn't feel intimidated. Especially when I learned his age and how much experience he has. He seems so wise that I wouldn't know what anyone could possibly say that could interest him in the least. He's experienced everything and seems to know everything. I was less intimidated by Esme, but intimidated all the same. I felt she was more warm than Carlisle however, and more accepting.

Nope. I just thought Edward would be incredibly protective over Bella while they were around, and that possibly Bella might get sick of him hovering. Their first fight, perhaps?

If I stepped into each pair of their shoes, I would be more nervous as Bella, meeting Edward's family. They all just seem so intimidating. They all are very interesting, but very intimidating. I think Emmett is the least intimidating, ironically, because jokes around so much. The others seem so serious. I can't see Edward being nervous about meeting anyone. He's a vampire!
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lag28wa »

That it was crazy immaculate. The more I read Bella's description the more I thought it was appropriate for atypical vampires.

I love them both, Carlisle is very sweet and just wants to see Edward, as one of his beloved family members happy. He trusts Edward fully and lets him make his own decisions even when Edward doesn't trust himself. I love his compassion and I can identify with that. He's incredibly smart as well. Esme melted my heart, she is someone that I would be praying liked me!! She also wants to just see Edward happy, and it was cute when Edward said that Esme was thrilled whenever Edward touched Bella. I would be more comfortable around Esme than anyone else. She is very maternal, as Edward described her.

I figured they would be bad vampires because Edward kind of hints at it. I knew there would be conflict and I had a bad feeling, but I didn't know it would be as epic as it was.

I think Bella because she is more insecure than Edward. I think Bella is specifically nervous about Edward's family members liking her or at least approving of her. Edward seems to be more nervous regarding telling Bella his and his families entire history- he thinks it will scare her.
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium
BreathelessVampire
Fishing with Charlie

Post by BreathelessVampire »

Alphie wrote:1. What were your impressions of the house that the Cullens live in?

1. I was like "woah! They are filthy rich!".

2. I thought of them as very very friendly parents :D. Especially when their 'son" brings home the girlfriend.

3.Nope!I didn't really know much until the three came out.

4. I think Bella. She would be afraid that the vampires would dislike her and eat her up instead.
Team Edward. Team Jasper. Team Alice. Team Emmett
Because they are just plain sexy.

Trainee at Emmett's Demolition Crew

Member of Donating Blood To Jasper&Co.