A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
TwiguyEC
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 14 ~ Mind Over Matter

Post by TwiguyEC »

1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was?
No. Bella has known he is immortal and so she suspects he is very old and that hasn't affected their relationship at so why should it make any difference now. If anything Edward's age is good because he has been waiting for that special someone to come along for so long that now that she did he is capable of loving her that much more than any human could :D .
2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else?
Obviously because Bella always surprises him with her views and opinions and he doesn't want to give Bella any ideas.
3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all?
Maybe some kind of mental barrier because Edward can't read her mind. I don't know, but maybe.
4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward?
This made no difference to me, I didn't fall for him because I am a guy lol, but I can understand why he would do that when he can't sleep and lives forever and now something new and beautiful has been inserted into his life, something that he loves, you can't blame him for being curious.
5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again?
He is always afraid for Bella's safety and he isn't sure how intimate he can be and still keep Bella safe and he won't take a risk like he did when he kissed her again because he can' stand to put her in danger.
6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn’t had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?
Just as innocent, before Bella, he thought he was complete in himself never searching for anything else.
The smell of her blood saturated every particle of air in the tiny, hot room. My throat burst into flames.
-Edward Cullen, Midnight Sun
Elsbyth
Settled in Forks

Post by Elsbyth »

1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was?
I think it makes sense - his soul is very old from what he has witnessed and experienced. He knows the value of truth and when he realizes that Bella is the most important thing to him ever - I mean really think about the power of that statement. What he's seen, what he's been through, what holds value to him, and he chooses Bella as the most important thing to him ever. That's powerful.

2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else?
He knows it would hurt her to know how very much he suffered. And he's probably afraid it wouldn't deter her one bit - that it might only fuel her desire to be immortal.

3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all?
I can't answer this without referencing BD since we find out her talent there.

4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward?
Fall even harder. I've discussed before that when it's the right guy, he can really do no wrong. And he is so afraid for her in that she is so terribly accident prone and he has already stated that her demise would be the end of him. So in watching over her, he's protecting himself and his family as well.

5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again?
I think he doesn't know. He doesn't know how he would react in an intimate situation and from Bella's reaction to his kissing her, he might be afraid that her reactions would only inflame his reactions to the point where he would lose control and hurt her. It's a simple equation - Edward must not hurt Bella or allow her to be hurt. Bella being hurt or killed would kill Edward which would mortally wound his family.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn’t had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?
totally innocent. He grew up in a time where family values and morals were held in the highest esteem. Also, he lived in a time of great sickness, there was no carefree youth for him, people were dying and then his father fell ill, so I could completely believe that Edward never had the chance due to circumstances and maybe never made the choice due to his personal beliefs.
Melarian
Settled in Forks

Post by Melarian »

It was to be expected that he is older than Bella is. He's a vampire after all. I didn't have any problems with that.

2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire.
Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else?

He doesn't want to scare her too much (all of the pain involved...) but he also doesn't want to edge her on. He doesn't want her to ever become a vampire and therefore he probably thinks it better for her not to know a lot about how it is done.

Well, it's a bit difficult to anser that one after having read BD. Here is what I wrote in the old forum, though:
"I am sure that Bella will have some sort of special trait. Maybe it could have something to do with her "closed mind"- thing - the fact that she is able to resist certain powers other vampires have."

It didn't creep me out at all. I thought it was rather sweet of him to come and watch her sleep every night.

I think it is a mixture of both. On the one hand, he is better in control now than he was at the beginning. On the other hand, there will always remain a certain risk. Edward just hopes that he is strong enough, but he can never be 100% sure about that. He is trying to convince himself as well as Bella that they will somehow manage to be together because he will do whatever he can to make sure that she is not in so much danger from him.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn't had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?
No, I never had the thought that Edward could have been intimate before. For me it was obvious right from the start that he was aas innocent as Bella and that he never experienced anything like that before.
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by darkrider »

no not at all

because alice saw her as a vampire and he maybe didn't want to scare her even more? idk

....well as we all know now....shield!! lol

no i thought it was very cute

i think he was trying to convince himself more than anything

i figured since he was so "old" that he was chaste
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
MoonlitRose
Wandering Through Town

Post by MoonlitRose »

It was somewhat upsetting, but then I didn't expect anything less. I felt bad for him.

I wasn't really creeped out, no. He's a vampire, it was expected. Not to mention time works differently for them than for us.

He's doing it for her own good.

Other than her looks becoming enhanced, her trait wold probably have something to do with her mind. After all, she's pretty strong mentally. Of course, it is very possible that she may not have any special trait, although highly unlikely.

It actually creeped me out. Like when my teacher asked about Romeo, the same answer I had then applies now as well. "STALKER!"

Yes, I called Romeo a stalker... And having someone watch me in my sleep, and me not even knowing it, that would creep me out.

He's just trying to protect Bella. Again. It's all he ever does, but when it's someone you love, who can blame him?

I didn't know what to think, really. Edward's a guy, and he's been around for ... 109 years or so. I thought it was highly likely he'd "been intimate" before but never had a relationship. It's like a trend now. But then on the other side, I thought about the time he was born (1901 or so), and his upbringing. In that time, it would definitely be frowned upon (more for a woman than a man, but still). It's been debatable for me.
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was? NO creeping out here!! I knew he had to be older- there were clues; his personal script hand-writing; Bella noticed his speech patterns were that of a century ago; he is such a gentleman towards her.... not that guys of this era aren't gentlemen, but during the 1910s, there was more emphasis on etiquette.

2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else? I think that he knows Bella wants to be one, and he doesn't want to give her the details... he loves her as a human, and wants to keep her that way.

3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all? Well, I've read all the books, so I know how it turns out. As I was reading this for the first time, though, I really didn't know... I knew it had something to do with her mind, though.

4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward? I thought that was the most genuine thing he's ever done. Again, NO creeping out here!

5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again? I think it's both. It's one thing for him to just be physically close to her and resist the pull of her blood... it's a whole separate issue for him to struggle for control of himself while being intimate with her as there's all sorts of feelings and sensations happening.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn’t had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter? I got it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella... why would he tell her that if it weren't true?
kaitlyncullen
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by kaitlyncullen »

nah i wasn't creeped out. bella acts a whole lot older than she is, she's essentially a women in my eyes so it's not weird. and i was just extremely excited to find out about edward and where he came from and how old he was.

he doesn't want her to know anything about becoming a vampire, it's the last thing he wants for her.

this is hard when you've read breaking dawn. when i first read it though i figured that if bella were to become a vampire she would be one of the vampires with a special gift. i mean edward couldn't hear her, she's already special and she's just a human!

no it doesn't creep me out! nothing about edward creeps me out. he only watched her because he couldnt be away from her for long, besides what else does he have to do? he doesn't sleep. and it's cute. i would be flattered i think...? well, if it was edward i'd be freakin ecstatic.

he's being honest and he's trying to protect her. edward the multi-tasker. lol. but seriously, kissing and touching are one thing that he has gotten over at that point, he doesn't know if he could handle the other because that's a whoooole different thing there.

no i thought he definitely would have gotten some booty back in the day, but it is so much nicer to know that he was a virgin and was new to everything. i love it.
Private Kaitlyn Cullen of Jasper's Army.
"Forged in war, born of death, saved by love." - Jackson Rathbone. <3
Le-Petit-Mort
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Le-Petit-Mort »

1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was? --- I thought it was odd, but interesting.

2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else? --- I thought that it would drag up memories of the pain he wanted to forget.

3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all? --- Seeing as how Breaking Dawn is out, I think we all know the answer.

4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward? --- I definitely wasn't expecting it, so it came as a huge shock. Then it confused me, because we didn't even have a clue that he was in the room.

5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again? --- I think he was underestimating himself.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn't had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter? --- I was kind of doubtful at first, but then as his character evolved a bit more, I kind of had the feeling he was telling the truth.
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

1. A bit. At least he acts like a normal teenager, or seems to give that vibe in the book. If he physically looked his age, I would be freaking out.

2. So se doesn't decide to become one. I guess he wants to keep that part a seret.

3. I have read BD, so I already know.

4. Creep me out. I am not really an Edward or Jacob fan, so things they do like this creep me out, just to get that out of the way.

5. He is just trying to protect Bella, I know it.

6. I never really knew or thought about it. if he did, he may not fully remember it. I have no idea.
amulaya
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by amulaya »

No, I wasn't. I was kinda expecting it, what with him being a vampire and all.

Because he doesn't want her to know what it takes.

lol... I'm guessing she will have one...

Kinda creeped me out at first. (At least, it would if it was me!) But afterwards I was like AWWW!!!

I think he's being honest with her, because everyone is different when sex is involved. Sometimes you just lose yourself and let your senses take over.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn't had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?

The way he said it at first I thought he was just trying to make her feel better, but then when I re-read it, I realized he was a virgin too...
"So, who's gonna catch me a grizzly bear?" - Bella