A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 14 ~ Mind Over Matter

Post by Alphie »

1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was?

2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else?

3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all?

4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward?

5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again?

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn’t had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?
AgentCross
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 14 ~ Mind Over Matter

Post by AgentCross »

1. I thought it was fitting and I didn't find it creepy. He is still Frozen at 17 and a big part of being old is having your body deteriorate and affect your mind.

2. Clearly he doesn't want Bella to get ideas about being a Vampire, at this point he still thinks she would loose her soul and he wants her to stay human.

3.Can't really answer this since it's been answered fully in Breaking Dawn.

4.It's creepy in a sense, but so was him watching her. That said, I didn't mind it and if I were him.. I would of. Like he said, what else is there to do at night? Beside, he saved her life...

5. I think there is a huge difference between controlling yourself while kissing and cuddling and controlling yourself while making Love. The latter would take much more skill and be much easier to loose yourself in.

6. No, I figured Edward was a virgin. He was very spiritual and always debating his soul and his sins. I think he is proud that he kept his virtue until marriage.
"A Proud Twilight Guy"
la_tua_cantante
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was?

Nah. Vampires are frozen in time. He was frozen as a 17 year old. I would have been ok with it if I were Bella. ;)

2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else?

He doesn't want to think about her going through the painful process or for her to seriously consider going through this change.

3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all?

I'll keep my mouth closed on that one. 8-)

4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward?

Fell even harder. I wasn't actually sure that was possible, but it happened.

5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again?

I think it's both. The physical connection two people have when they are being intimate, even just 'making out', is definitely more to 'deal with' than just holding someone or hugging them, and therefore, for Edward, would be harder to control.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn’t had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?

Well, Edward answers this question in Eclipse. I assumed, from the beginning, that Edward was a virgin based solely on the time period he grew up in. It was a more conservative time, so it would have been more easily accepted that he was a virgin as opposed to not.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
gordonfan08
Wandering Through Town

Post by gordonfan08 »

1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was? I figured he was older, but I must admit that it's a little weird that he's hundreds of years old but only seventeen. The age difference doesn't matter, because even though he is way older than her in human years, he really isn't that much older in experience. Edward has travelled the world and is very educated, but when it comes right down to life experiences, such as being in love, he is experiencing everything for the first time with Bella.

2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else? He doesn't want to scare or worry her.I

3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all? I wasn't sure she'd have any special trait at all.

4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward? I admit it was a little creepy, but in a sensual way, if that makes any sense. I suppose he doesn't have anything else to do, so it is kind of endearing that he would choose to spend his time sitting there all night while she sleeps.

5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again? I think he is scared of himself and thus trying to protect Bella.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn’t had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter? I definitely felt that Edward was just as innocent as Bella.
profmom
Settled in Forks

Post by profmom »

It was expected and made sense.

There are probably a couple of reasons. First, he is still not ready to reveal Alice's vision, and wants to keep any ideas from Bella. It's also a painful memory for him, and adds a vulnerability that he likely isn't wanting to share too deeply.

Obviously, I know the answer. As I was reading the series, I wondered about this quite a bit. I knew she would have one all along. I assumed it would be related to her blocking ability, but I couldn't put my finger on it exactly.

No, it didn't. I had a fleeting thought that it SHOULD creep her out, but it was something that flowed from the character, and actually came off as sweet.

At this point in the series, I wasn't really sure I understood. I still wondered if perhaps it wasn't possible in the same way. It became clear through the book even that it was about his control. There is no doubt that physical intimacy leads to periods of loss of control, and he did need to be so restrained.

I never questioned it. In retrospect, it's somewhat amazing he could be so smooth about all aspects of romance without any experience. Some of it was probably instinctual, and the other, of course, is that he's been reading minds for so long that he probably has a darned good idea of what works and what doesn't.
museicalking
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by museicalking »

Edward always talked in an older way, and im guessing that SM had to make him older to show that he's been hell with being a vampire. To show how he's seen things and experienced things that make him much more insightful than most vampire. It isn't creapy.

Edward is cryptic when it comes to the background of vampires and how to become one, he doesnt want bella to be one and doesnt want to give her any ideas. He's open to bella cause she's one to understand and can be protective of her true experession, edward doesnt normally talk to people like that.

She's a shield. BD people. But i always though she would be able to put up mind blocks, like forcing you to see what she wants you to see. like block thirst for someone, block a memory too painful for her, block a person from talking. ect.

Kind Of. But bella and edward spilled everything in chp. 13 and edward amazingly fell for her and will do anything for her.

Both. He is being honest to himself to protect bella. I feel like the closer he gets to her, the more powerful the restraint in his thirst.

I think edward has had some kind of relationship, but nothing as intimate like him and bella. maybe a really good friend or an early gf. But in the time where their was such disease, the possibility is minimal.
Team Emmett- EDC, Inc. Emmett Demolition Crew.
Team Rosalie- Every Rose has its Thorns
Team Alice- Seeing the Future Since 1901
<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3
Lynzeee
Decorating with Esme

Post by Lynzeee »

it didnt bother me, he is a vampire he was bound to be much older then Bella

because he doesnt want to freak her out anymore, Info overload ya know

well we find out that Bella does, but honestly i didnt think she really would, i thought that her mind was just different, didnt realize she would be what she is

okay, if it were a normal human like Mike watching her sleep maybe, But it being Edward it was hot, and very sweet.. he isnt human he does inhuman things.. so i def. fell harder for edward

i think he is in general torn and just scared for him and her, he knows how strong he is.. she really has no clue

i could tell once they started with the kisses and stuff that he was very much a virgin.. he was basically asking if he was doing it right.. i love that about him innocent even though he was a vampire and has lived for a long time.. still holding on to his Virtue.. beautiful
Keeper of The Randomness
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"-Acheron Parthenopaeus
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ashleygill03 »

Yes and No. In a sense, he's an old man. But, in the same sense.... Bella is not your average teenager, and Edward not your average man. The two have a bond that transcends age and time.

I would assume he didn't want to scare her with horror stories of the immense pain that consumed him during his transformation. He probably also didn't want to put a bug in her ear of her becomming a vampire.

I assumed that Bella's special trait would be that no one could read her mind, since it kept Edward out as a human.

I think if it was anyone other than Edward it would be insanely creepy. But, when we find out that he's been spying on her, we also learn that he had the most honorable of intentions. And, being the fact that it's Edward.. I think it's hard for us to find him creepy because we see everything through Bella's eyes, and Bella is too enchanted to be creeped out.

I think it's a bit of both. He knows that the risk of an intimate relationship is just too high. He says he can put mind over matter, but that he can never afford to lose control around her. 'Intimate relationships' are much like hunting in that it's a carnal force that takes over you; Edward has already said he loses control while he hunts. This, I would presume, would be much the same.

I feel that it's wholly implied that Edward is a virginity when he asks Bella if she has had an imtimate relationship. She responds no, goes on to say that love and lust are one in the same to her, and he says that they are the same on that matter.
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

Good gosh no - I expected him to be old. I would have accepted an 1800's vampire easily.

Edward is so NOT being open about everything else. He is choosing carefully what to tell Bella. He wants to freak her out as little as possible.

3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all?This is the second time I am reading the saga... so I don't think I can answer this. I can say that I never stopped to ask myself these questions. However, I did read all 4 books in 19 days. There wasn't a lot of time to ponder.

Yeah it is/was a little creepy. Kinda a lot creepy really.

I think Edward is so lovestruck - he has an internal conflict. Yes, I think Edward is ALWAYS trying to protect Bella.

No, I don't think Edward was intimate before... and if he was when he was human, he might not remember. He said his human memories are faded. Edward is a 17 year old gentleman though, I think he's a pure virgin vampire. I like that they are both innocent. It makes it okay for everone else who looks up to these characters and want to be innocent or are happily a virgin. I love it. Your only that innocent... until your not.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
Stacia

Post by Stacia »

I wasn't creeped out at all by the "age difference"....Sure he's "older"...this is a tough one to explain! LOL

Even though he's opened up about a lot of things, he probably doesn't want to scare her with the details. He probably thought it was just too much.

I think it would definitely be possible for her not to have a special trait but also, it would be just as possible for her to have a special trait. At this time, I've read all the books and know what it was so from there, I can't answer.

Fall even harder! LOL! Especially when, after he admitted that she talks in her sleep and she got upset, he tried to comfort her....*swoon*..

I think it's apples and oranges, in a sense. He can overcome the "little" things...a peck on the cheek, a soft kiss, touching her...but when you get into the intimate relationship, it becomes different and not even a normal person has all their faculties in that situation! :)

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn’t had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?[/quote]
I didn't get it right from the start, not until he told that to Bella. He's what....108 or so years old? Who would've thunk it? LOL....it's sweet though, that he waited...