A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
KaylaMarieBlack7
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 14 ~ Mind Over Matter

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was?
I wasnt creeped out because he doesnt look like he is old. He is forever 17. So i mean it doesn't really make a difference.

2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else?
Maybe because he doesnt want her getting any ideas. He wants to to stay safe. Because honestly, who would choose to be a vampire and live that kind of lifestyle.

3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all?
Im not sure what her trait would be. There isn't much about her that would tell us what exactly her supernatural traid would be, if she were to have one. The only thing right now, is that Edwars cannot hear her thoughts.

4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward?
It didnt creep me out really. And it didnt make me fall even harder for him. I was just happy. He has been watching her, to maybe keep her safe. Or just to be with her. its very sweet.

5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again?
I think that he is just trying to protect Bella again. He seems to be doing fine with her..like he said the temptation isnt as strong. I just think he doesnt want to hurt her.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn’t had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?
I thought he was jsut as innocent as Bella in this matter. He didnt seem like the person who would have had sex before marriage. Since he was kind of brought up different than people now.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
:)BookWorm(:
Settled in Forks

Post by :)BookWorm(: »

1. Q)What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was?
A) I thought it was actually pretty kewl. I love a good history lesson, specially if its about Edward. haha. And, no, it didnt creep me out at all. It actually made it more interesting for me...

2. Q)Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else?
A) I think he does it so that...well....I dont really know how to explain it....but.... I think he does it so that she doesnt have to feel....bad-if that covers it- about it.... Hm...

3. Q)We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all?
A) Im not sure what her special trait would be. I havent gotten any farther than New Moon at this point so Im not sure what happens. But yes, I do think that she would have a special trait.

4. Q)Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward?
A)It made me fall hoplessly. I got so hooked, and obseesed that my mom gets mad about it. (If that makes any sense)

5. Q)Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again?
A) I think it could go either way. He might loose himself beacause he so badly wants her, yet it could also be to protect her.

6. Q)Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn’t had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?
A) I think hes asa innocent as Bella. I mean even though hes a vampire and vampires memories of any human life fades, he would remeber something like THAT. Or at least I would.

P.S. THIS WAS MY FAVORITE CHAPTER!!!
:)BookWorm(:-in love with Edward, obsessed with Twilight.
Hearts in red ink.
Wandering Through Town

Post by Hearts in red ink. »

1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was?
I thought his history was interesting.
I loved it! :P

I was not creeped out at all, he was still 17 to me in a frozen body, I didn't think to much about it.

2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else?
I figured he didn't want to scare her and also I felt like he didn't want her to become interested in the process, so that she wouldn't have thoughts of becoming one or wanting to.

3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all?
I honestly had no idea.
She really didn't have any gifted traits. :?

4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward?
It made me fall even harder, watching someone sleep ... something so simple. That really showed how much love he felt for her.

5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again?
I thought he was trying to protect Bella.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn’t had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?
I thought he was being true.
With the time period that he was a human, I just thought he was the type of guy that wouldn't have sex before marriage. I didn't see why he would lie about that to Bella.
Riddalyn

Post by Riddalyn »

No... in the back of my mind, I thought I should be for some reason, but it really didn't make much of a difference. I remembered that in... our world, I guess... older people are with younger people all the time. Just because Bella and Edward are technically teenagers... neither of them think that way, they're both old for their ages. So, it just didn't make too much a difference, if that makes sense.

No, I just think he's trying to protect her as always. That's just how he is, ya know? I think he feels conflicted with himself... again. He wants to be honest with her without scaring her... or giving her any bright ideas.

I always thought that, because Bella's mind works differently some how and she can keep out all the mental torment and such, that she might be able to use those powers against the very person to whom they belong (IE, read Edward's mind, hurt Jane, blah blah).

Fall harder. Always fall harder. *Sigh... life as a fan girl*

I think both. He's being honest with himself, also pushing his desires aside to protect her. I'm sure he wants to be intimate with her as much as she wants it with him, but no matter how much he puts mind over matter, there is always that slight possibility that he could crush her or get too... over excited... and bite her or something (however unlikely that may sound), and he doesn't want to even give himself the chance to get that carried away.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn't had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?
I thought right away that he was being honest about being just as spotless as Bella in that way. I couldn't really imagine that he would ever have lied to her about it, or even stretched the truth. And, he is so old fashioned that of course he would wait for his true love. So endearing...
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
Chocolatebrowneyes
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Chocolatebrowneyes »

I kinda figured, it didn't creep me out because he's forever 17, and he's very inexperianced in love so they were pretty much on the same page.

He doesn't want to think about changing HER.

oh wow I didn't know that either, I always kinda figured her special trait would have something to do with her mental block, and I don't think it's possible knowing now as I have read Edwards side partially that she smelled pretty good to all of them therefore you know "drawing" them to her, she's special.

I actually fell pretty hard for that one because he was doing it for the most innocent reason. I thought it was pretty cute.

I think he is being honest with himself and he also probably has read enough minds that when you "in the moment" your really not caring about being extrodinarily cautious, and in his case he could seriously hurt her, and he couldn't live with himself if he did, I think he's trying to protect her.

Oh I knew he was a virgin. he totally acted like it, he would've acted alot different if he had had some experiance.
"Why won't you leave me alone?"
Believe me,I wanted to say. I've tried.
Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you.
Keep it light.

ImageImageImageImage
Forever_Twilight
Wandering Through Town
Location: Running as fast as I can with Edward and the Cullens on a cloudy day in Arizona

Post by Forever_Twilight »

No way. =) He still was young physically and he gained over a hundred years of intelligence! Who wouldn't want a smart guy like that?

I thought that she would have the power to prevent happenings. Since she was so "clumsy" in Twilight, she would have the power as a vampire to control her and others surroundings.

I fell for Edward Cullen more and more. It was truly beautiful!

I think it's a little bit of both. =] See, he still has some class in himself so I think he wants to have an intimate relationship with her but (as we know in Breaking Dawn) he wants to wait until their married. (Which I totally agree with that! One more reason to love Edward Cullen. XD) Then, he also doesn't want to test his strength where it's never been tested before.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn't had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?
He was just as innocent as Bella. I have pretty much the same values set for myself and I really admire Stephenie for making Edward like that. =) It truly makes Twilight one of the best romantic books ever. =D
<3 I've been Vamped by Edward Cullen ~ Followed by Emmett and Jasper <3
LilyMorgana
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LilyMorgana »

At some point I did think it was kind of ... well yeah, creepy with the big age difference but then I just decided to ignore it and think of Edward as an eternal teenager.
His history was rather interesting, I thought. I would've loved to know even more about his human life.

I suspect he didn't want to scare her with all those details. He probably hoped she'd never have to experience it anyway so it wouldn't matter to her.

I already know what it would be now. :) I guess it was sort of logical. I hadn't thought about it before so I can't really answer this question.

Well ... I liked it in the book and it made me like Edward more but if someone would ever do that to me. I would seriously freak out. I mean, it is creepy, isn't it? Someone watching you while you're asleep without you knowing it.

He wants to protect Bella and he does believe that himself. I think.

I didn't get it right from the start. I imagined him to have had other relationships before but maybe not as serious and dangerous as the one with Bella.
- Nele

Private Morgana Mordant of Jasper's Confederate Army, Team Stainless Claret
LilyMorgana
xsundaybestx
Settled in Forks

Post by xsundaybestx »

1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was? Nah, I figured he was alot older. Thre age thing didn't bother me either.

2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else? He knows that Alice saw Bella becoming one of them, and he doesn't want her to get the idea in her head of becoming one of them.

3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all? Well, at this point i think its useless to answer this question since Breaking Dawn answered it fro us. I use to think she'd be able to sense forecoming danger though.

4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward? I probably fell harder.

5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again? He is always trying to protect Bella, thats what Edward does best. I think if he would just have more faith in himself they wouldn't have any problmes.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn’t had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter? I figured that if one was a virgin the other would be too.
Team Vampire.
Elisabeth33

Post by Elisabeth33 »

I thought he was at least 20 years older. No, my boyfriend is alot older than I am and my Dad is alot older than my Mom, so this age difference stuff doesn't matter to me. I think it's better that way, actually.

Whether Alice had been able to see Bella as a vampire or not, he wouldn't want her getting any big ideas.

I had no idea, but I thought it possible she might wind up like Esme, Carlisle, Emmett, Rosalie, James and Laurent and wind up with nothing as a supernatural quality. Just something like Emmett's strength for an enhanced human quality.

I fell alot harder.

He's walking a tightrope, between being able to be with her and not killing her. So I think he's protecting Bella and being honest with himself.

I thought he was a virgin too, because of all the stuff said about him never having a relationship before, the time period he was raised in and the way he thinks about things like marriage, he takes that very seriously.
Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen
Learning to Love Green
Location: In our cottage with Edward "baking", wile Esme babysits Carlie.

Post by Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen »

He didn't say much about his human history but it's sad to know that his whole family died, and he can't ever remember them properly. No I like older guys they are more mature what can I say, and Edward is a gentleman literally what more can a girl ask for.

Because he doesn't want to scare her or give he any ideas about a future where she is like him.

Well I though that she'd only be able to keep Edward out of her head and maybe a few others that worked through the brain. But now that BD had come out it makes perfect sense about her power.

What can I say I'm a weirdo I fell even more in love with him. But it did make me a little self conscious just like Bella I don't know what kinds of things I do in my sleep that might embarrass me. :oops:

I think both he is being honest and of course he want's to protect Bella. He dented a car with his hands and shoulder what would happen if he got physical with Bella. When you are in such a moment of love you don't think about what you're doing you just go with your emotions. He cant afford to go with his emotion he would either kill Bella or hurt her really badly.

in the beginning I though that he might have 'dated' someone but as I read along I figured he was a beginner at love in all it's aspects, So I wasn't so surprised when he said he a virgin, it was just logical he was a gentleman in all aspects. :oops:
Banner by "'twahy-lahyt'" aka Shel!
Thanks Shel your amazing!!!