A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 11 ~ Complications

Post by Alphie »

1. Each time they are in science class, Bella describes an electric-like current passing between her and Edward. What do you think this current is?

2. During all the questions, we learn that the thing Edward asks the most about are books Bella has read. Why do you think he mostly asks about books?

3. What type of books do you think Bella mentions?

4. What was your reaction to hearing what twilight is like for vampires.
la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Re: Chapter 11 ~ Complications

Post by la_tua_cantante »

1. Each time they are in science class, Bella describes an electric-like current passing between her and Edward. What do you think this current is?

I think it's a physical feeling of how aware of Edward she is, and he her.

2. During all the questions, we learn that the thing Edward asks the most about are books Bella has read. Why do you think he mostly asks about books?

Because he's probably read a zillion and learning the kind of books a person will read can really tell you a lot about their interests and personality.

Classic literature was probably a large portion of it, since she was always reading Austen.

Interesting. You'd think that for a coven of vampires like the Cullen's that the time of day wouldn't matter, since all the 'stereotypes' didn't really apply.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
gordonfan08
Wandering Through Town

Post by gordonfan08 »

1. Each time they are in science class, Bella describes an electric-like current passing between her and Edward. What do you think this current is? L-O-V-E

2. During all the questions, we learn that the thing Edward asks the most about are books Bella has read. Why do you think he mostly asks about books? I think Edward is a very well-read guy and he can tell alot about a person based upon what they read.

3. What type of books do you think Bella mentions? Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, Romeo and Juliet, etc. Tragic romances, for some reason.

4. What was your reaction to hearing what twilight is like for vampires. I think it is a very good description.
TwiguyEC
Settled in Forks

Post by TwiguyEC »

Just them becoming physically aware of each other.
Perhaps he thinks you can learn something about the person from the books that they read. Also maybe he likes to read books, as we find out he has read the second most books other than Carlisle.
Classics, like Wuthering Heights and Austen, because she knows he is mad old and they are older books.
I was sad, I kinda felt bad for them.
The smell of her blood saturated every particle of air in the tiny, hot room. My throat burst into flames.
-Edward Cullen, Midnight Sun
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

I think it is their connection.

I think Edward is a reader too. He has a lot of time on his hands. What someone reads for pleasure tells a lot about them. My best friend reads fashion magazines. Never books. So, with that analagie, I think Edward is making more connections and it helps him discover how deep Bella is. She isn't reading fluffy stuff.

I think Bella reads a lot of classics. I think she is a reader and really enjoys a book. I'm sure she has read East of Eden, Grapes of Wrath, Catcher in the Rye and Little Women, Lord of the Flies, just to mention a few. I wonder if she ever Reads Stephen King....

I accepted it. Maybe I need to read that part a third time.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ashleygill03 »

Lust/Love

I think that books can help reveal a persons true identity. Edward has lots of extra time so I'm sure he is extremely well read.

I'm sure she mentions all the classics. Bella seems to have a taste for the older, more literary works.

It would make sense to me that Twilight would the easiest time for vampires. Less to worry about with the weather and such.
*Bloodlust*
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by *Bloodlust* »

A VERY strange mixture of tension and attraction.

Midnight Sun spoilers aside...because books are the pages to the soul! :D No, seriously because Edward himself likes to read, so of course he's interested in what Bella likes to read. Also, he can get a pretty good idea of how her mind works by what type of books appeal to her. Or at least what she finds entertaining!

Jane Austen(of course). Dickens(You know she LOVES Great Expectations ;) ) Maybe Ann Radcliffe. Probably a little C.S. Lewis. Bella strikes me as the type to hold on to some books from her childhood and why not some C.S. Lewis?

Not surprised, really. It seemed to fit AND it is the title of the book, so I figured, why not? It flows perfectly that twilight would be the "safest time". And metaphorically, it symbolizes the change in the lives of Edward and Bella now that their worlds have collided.
WARNING: EDWARD CULLEN IS NOT EFFECTIVE BIRTH CONTROL! E<3B
Megsimadic
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Megsimadic »

I think it was the physical pull they both felt to each other, the need to close the distance and have physical contact. The kind in knowing the person you want is only that little bit away from you.

Because books can give away a lot about personality

Well she likes the classics with Austen, but I think she likes her romance too going off that, and Romeo and Juliet and others mentioned.

I didnt really think it would matter to them as they live so well during the day...usually without danger.
My Youtube - My Livejournal
Private Meg Shinigami of Jasper's Confederate Army

Team Jasper:He is my happy hormone
Team Alice: Because Im short and annoying too!
Stacia
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stacia »

Their feelings for each other, the need for physical contact

I think that what you read tells a lot about your personality, the type of person you are, what your interests are....Since he can't read her mind, discovering what she likes to read helps to "get into Bella's head".

Jane Austen! Historical Romance...

Sad. It's depressing, I think...to know that one more day has passed for a human but for a vampire, a day really doesn't exist. Time doesn't exist. Okay, now this is confusing even me! LOL!
Elsbyth
Settled in Forks

Post by Elsbyth »

It's the connection between the two of them growing stronger. Showing that it will not be denied.

He's extremely well read. He realizes how well read Bella is and their intellect might be more even matched than previously thought.

Great literary romances. Stories of tragedy, heartbreak, and inevitable redemption.

It actually made me a bit sad for Edward, but not for the others. They have a mate, but if most vampires are Nomads, I would think that the life would be lonely - never ending loneliness.