A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
LilyMorgana
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Epilogue ~ Treaty

Post by LilyMorgana »

1. Were you at all surprised by how easily things went back to normal? Did you expect something different?
A little bit, yes. I thought it would take longer.

2. Do you think Bella is playing a dangerous game trying to be friends with a werewolf and date a vampire? Ignoring what you know about Eclipse and Breaking Dawn - how did you think this could ever be resolved? What were your hopes for these relationships at the end of the book?
I thought there would be fights between the vampires and werewolves.

3. What did you think about Jacob giving Charlie Bella's motorcycle?
I thought it was a stupid thing to do. He did what he thought was best, but it annoyed me that be betrayed Bella that way. I think it was a pretty childish thing to do.

4. What did you think about the difference between "bite" and "kill" and the point Jacob was making?
It made me realize that turning Bella into a vampire would have a lot of risks and that there certainly was enough material to write two new books for. :)
- Nele

Private Morgana Mordant of Jasper's Confederate Army, Team Stainless Claret
LilyMorgana
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

1. Were you at all surprised by how easily things went back to normal? Did you expect something different? I wasn't surprised.

2. Do you think Bella is playing a dangerous game trying to be friends with a werewolf and date a vampire? Ignoring what you know about Eclipse and Breaking Dawn - how did you think this could ever be resolved? What were your hopes for these relationships at the end of the book? She could have just been happy with Edward.

3. What did you think about Jacob giving Charlie Bella's motorcycle? Jerk!

4. What did you think about the difference between "bite" and "kill" and the point Jacob was making? That there would be more complications with Bella becoming a vampire.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
casunny123
Settled in Forks

Post by casunny123 »

1.I was a little surprised that everyone would accept the Cullens so easily back, but then again, they're the Cullens! :mrgreen:

2.I think Bella is naive trying to make mortal enemy's peaceful. I predicted that Bella would become a vampire and that Jacob would attack the Cullens for even thinking about changing Bella.

3.I think Jacob was desperate, but didn't he realize that it would only betray his trust with Bella and make Bella mad at him! Jesh!

4."Bite" can change. "Kill" is any form of dying. Jacob was trying to make a less blunt form of saying, "bite OR change her and you brake the treaty".
best_beating_heart
Frozen in Time

Post by best_beating_heart »

1. Were you at all surprised by how easily things went back to normal? Did you expect something different?
yes and no. i mean, i knew if edward came back for good, bella's hole would be filled. but yet, it kinda annoyed me how easily it went back. idk, maybe that was just me.

2. Do you think Bella is playing a dangerous game trying to be friends with a werewolf and date a vampire? Ignoring what you know about Eclipse and Breaking Dawn - how did you think this could ever be resolved? What were your hopes for these relationships at the end of the book?
no not really.

that annoyed me and then i didnt like jacob till i read BD

4. What did you think about the difference between "bite" and "kill" and the point Jacob was making?
it kinda surprised me that jacob hadnt picked up on bella's wanting to become a vampire. but edward wouldnt kill bella, so its all good :)

TM~Maria Dina Corozzo
Teams:Alice, Emmett, Esme, Renesmee, Volturi~Athenodora, JCA~Aubrey Santi~SC
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Post by sarah! »

~no, i liked it normal again.

~yeah i think it was pretty dangerous, you have to admit. i wanted them to get along, but didn't know they would actually get along in future books. :D

~I was beyond appalled. I wouldv'e slapped him, but I probably wouldv'e broke my hand! :D

~turning her into a vampire would be more complicated than i had originally thought.
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
runningali
Settled in Forks

Post by runningali »

I was surprised. Eight months of such pain for Bella, being a zombie in school, alienating herself from her friends, her friendship with Jacob... In a way I guess that it showed how much she loved Edward, that without him in her life, it was not really worth living. You could see that she's so happy when he's back - it was a relief to me as a reader when he returned.

Gotta love the Cullens though...they can really fit in!

This was a hard one for me. I am clearly on "Team Edward" and it was wonderful to have him re-appear. I understand that Jacob saved her from a worse fate when Edward left, but ultimately it was always Edward that she loved and yearned for in her heart. She is trying to make natural enemies fit into her life (vampires vs. wherewolves) which seems....not smart!

I figured ultimately it would end in a fight between Edward and Jacob over Bella. I hoped that Edward would be the victor and that Jacob would imprint on someone else...

Low blow!!! Somewhat immature too...

Jacob knows where Bella's heart is - with Edward. He can guess where that goes - meaning that a Cullen will "bite" Bella and transform her into a vampire. He's trying to get the message across that if that happens, the treaty is off. This also represents his own selfish interests because he wants Bella to remain human (and his if he got the chance).
yanjan3
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela
Location: Happily moving to a world where Humans, Vamps and Werewolves get along...

Post by yanjan3 »

> No. I really felt the relief that Bella felt. So accepting him back just like that was something I both anticipated and understood.
It wasn't really back to normal, Jacob was already in her life much deeper after Edward left, its a big change.
Wait. Come to think of it, nothing is really "normal" there.. LOL

> Yes, she is playing a dangerous game, but I don't really give a damn. If I were her I would do the same thing. Finding someone who made you feel like that is worth it: incredible love and passion for Edward, and friendship and connecting on a basic level with Jacob.

I knew she would end up with Edward but I really didn't know how to resolve Jacob's pain.

> I felt slightly annoyed, but I understood why he did it.

> He knew there was a possibility that they were gonna turn Bella into a vampire (he just didn't know that it was already a decision). So he made it a point to tell them, in efforts to maybe make them think twice about changing Bella.
ImageImage
"I rate hot guys from 1 to RobPattinson".
alice_is_my_homegirl
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by alice_is_my_homegirl »

1. Were you at all surprised by how easily things went back to normal? Did you expect something different? I wasn't surprised.

2. Do you think Bella is playing a dangerous game trying to be friends with a werewolf and date a vampire? Ignoring what you know about Eclipse and Breaking Dawn - how did you think this could ever be resolved? What were your hopes for these relationships at the end of the book? It can't-at the time-but we can always hope.

3. What did you think about Jacob giving Charlie Bella's motorcycle? It was mean!

4. What did you think about the difference between "bite" and "kill" and the point Jacob was making? Bella couldn't be with Edward without breaking the treaty and causeing a war. :(
Team Edward: Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901!
BellsEdwardalways
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by BellsEdwardalways »

I wasn't really surprised at how things eased back into normal. I definitely wasn't expecting anything different than what happened.

Well, I could sit here and go back and forth but really no I don't think she's playing a dangerous game. Bella isn't asking for Edward and Jacob to be best friends maybe at most to get a long better. Not to mention she clearly doesn't see it in terms of vampire and werewolf. She sees the person/the soul of the other person not what they are. She defines both of the boys by who they are. I know there's a treaty but I don't think that means there has to be so much hostility. I am aware that the Cullens being vampires still imposes some threat to humans but beyond the treaty the Quileutes treat the family like they are any other group of vampires. I guess you could call it stereotyping vampires or maybe specieist but that works both ways because the Cullens share a hostility for the werewolves. I know they smell bad to each other but...anyway, I should probably move on to the next part of the question.

Well, Edward and Jacob needed to suck it up and put the what the other is on the back burner and think of it in terms of who the other is. I don't think that even is relevant to the question or if it made much sense but moving on because I have gone blank on that one.

I never needed Edward and Jacob to be friends just for them to suck it up and behave like grown ups. I wanted Bells to still be friends with Jacob.

I was so not pleased that Jacob did that and I love Jacob (never more than I love Edward). It was not nice and not cool. Not to mention thinking about it now it seems kind of immature.

Um, I am not quite sure what this question is trying to get at. I say that because clearly to bite was indicating it meant that biting someone to turn them vampire would break the treaty just as much as killing someone would. Jacob was making it clear that biting a human qualifies as breaking the treaty because they see it as harming a person and it is for someone who didn't have the choice.
http://chelseadawn.webs.com/
Banner by Kimmy. Avatar made by Narnia
Banner by threethings
spiritwolf32
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by spiritwolf32 »

I didn't expect her to forgive the Cullens so fast. I mean I wouldn't have, especially with all that depression and everything. It would have been so hard to trust that they wouldn't leave again if something else happened.

I was just waiting on them to at least tolerate each other if nothing else. The vampires and werewolves, I mean.
It was irritating that they just thought 'it's just the way it is' and not realize that is all about choices. They are intelligent enough to chose how things are with each other. Just because you are taught or hear that things are a certain way, doesn't mean they can't change.

Hey, he had to try right? :lol: No, I understand why he did it but it was Edward he wanted to get rid of not hurting Bella, but he ended up getting Bella into more trouble and there wasn't to much of an effect on Edward.

Well he was saying that they couldn't do either. Biting to change someone or killing in order to feed.