A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
eclipserox
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: Chapter 24 ~ Vote

Post by eclipserox »

1. What did you think of Bella's epiphany? Do you think she was justified in believing that Edward didn't love her and that the fact that he really did stunned her?
I think Bella's epiphany was justified. She was always feeling insecure because he was perfect-gorgeous, strong, kind, smart, ridiculously wealthy, generous, etc and she did not see herself as that beautiful, strong, or smart. Then, Edward convinced her that he was no longer in love with her before he left town. So, naturally she was questioning his love for her. He's a good guy so if he was really over her, he probably would have tried to protect her and care for her in Italy.

2. How did you feel about the way the vote went? Did you understand Edward's reasoning? What about Rosalie's? Do you agree with Carlisle that it's the only logical choice?

I thought the vote was fair, BUT I think ultimately it is Bella's choice. Bella wanted to become a vampire, so Edward's opinion shouldn't be the deciding factor. Carslile's explanation of why Edward was unwilling to risk Bella's soul made sense. Rosalie is not a character I like or agree with most of the time. She never really liked Bella until BD, so I have a hard time believing her reasoning that her motives for voting no were because Bella was better off human. I think maybe she either didn't want Bella to join the family or was still jealous and concerned that vampire Bella would be prettier, stronger, and more talented than Rosalie. I agree with Carlisle. If Bella and Edward planned to stay together (and they did), Edward remaining 17 forever while Bella aged would not work well.

3. Were you as stunned as Bella was when Edward asked her to marry him? How do you feel about Bella's reasons for saying no to him?

I was surprised. I feel the same way as her-18 is awfully young to be getting married. And, she was really concerned about her mom's feelings. But, if she was planning on becoming a vampire and never seeing her mom again, it seems kind of silly to be so opposed to marrying him.

4. At this point in the series - ignoring what you know from Eclipse and Breaking Dawn - did you think Bella should marry Edward? Did you think she should become a vampire as soon as possible? Or did you think she should stay mortal for a while longer?

Yes, I actually expected her to become a vampire toward the beginning of the 2nd book. She had indicated an interest in becoming a vampire and we knew she wanted to stay with Edward forever. A lot of their problems (i.e. the birthday incident) would have been avoidable had she become a vampire. She didn't really have a lot of reasons to stay human. Her mom was in another city living her own life, Charlie's a good dad but they weren't that close since she had only lived with him for a year, she didn't plan on going to college. And, again marriage is not a big deal compared to becoming a vampire.

5. Did you want Edward to be the one to change Bella into a vampire? How would you feel if someone else were to change her?

It was OK for Edward to be the one. I always just assumed Carlisle would change her. He changed all the other Cullens. He changed Emmet for Rosalie. It wasn't a big deal that Rosalie change her lover. Carlisle knew how to do it. As the patriarch, Carlisle changing people seems to make them official family members in a way.
Kimmygirl23
Settled in Forks

Post by Kimmygirl23 »

1. What did you think of Bella's epiphany? Do you think she was justified in believing that Edward didn't love her and that the fact that he really did stunned her?
She insecure, she loves him so much, he's to perfect, and she things she's just a plain girl, nothing special. When he left her, her insecurities only grew bigger, so it is understandable...but I was annoyed that it took her so long to finally believe him that he really did love her!

2. How did you feel about the way the vote went? Did you understand Edward's reasoning? What about Rosalie's? Do you agree with Carlisle that it's the only logical choice?
The vote went better than I thought, I didn't know how Bella would bring it, and I started feeling embarrassed about it. Anyway, I do understand Edward, but he needs to wake up and see there is no other way. Does he want Bella for ever or not? jees! besides, she is the danger-magnet, when she's a vampire she can take care of herself.

3. Were you as stunned as Bella was when Edward asked her to marry him? How do you feel about Bella's reasons for saying no to him?
I was stunned! it came out of no ware! haha, but I was sad that she said no to him....I mean it's understandable, but she's comparing herself with Renee and Charlie, and what she and Edward has is something entirely different! and she's worried about her age....she already knows that she wants to be with him forever, so....just....marry him!

4. At this point in the series - ignoring what you know from Eclipse and Breaking Dawn - did you think Bella should marry Edward? Did you think she should become a vampire as soon as possible? Or did you think she should stay mortal for a while longer?
She should marry him (not right away, be engaged for a while) and I would love to see Bella as a vampire, but not right away, it's kind of great that there is that suspense in the story...and I love how vulnerable she is and that Edward has to be oh so gentile with her... :)

5. Did you want Edward to be the one to change Bella into a vampire? How would you feel if someone else were to change her?
Edward should change her! that would be totally romantic (In a sick kind of way) I would be very sad if someone else changed her....her blood is for Edward only
~TEAM EDWARD~
edwardlikeshaystacks
Often Mistaken for a Bear

Post by edwardlikeshaystacks »

Its natural for her to think that Edward didn't love her anymore because ever since the beginning she always had a feeling of doubt when it came to the reality of being with someone like Edward. It was mainly her insecurities that led her to her own misery after all. Even Edward believed that he would have to try to convince her until he was blue in the face but she let "one word break her faith'.

I think it was a fair way to coming to a compromise because ultimately it has to be one of them who change her but its also a very big decision on both parts. In a way, I can see where Edward and Rosalie are coming from, and Bella shouldn't rush to be changed so quickly so this is where my opinion of Carlisle's changing her after graduation goes a little iffy.In the end, if she chooses to put this love in front of her family and friends, then it would eventually be the most logical choice in the end.

Of course, we shouldve seen it coming, seeing as Edward is an traditional gentleman (not to mention that he is nearly 120 years old!) Its understandable for Bella to say no at this point in her life, after all, she is barely out of high school and probably wasn't thinking of getting married for a few years! But if she's in such a rush to turn into a vampire, she's going to have to get married anyway (she's going to be with him for...the rest of her existence.)

She seems to have a little love triangle going on with Jacob so itd be nice if she finally sorted things out with that. But I'm all for Bella marrying Edward. As for rushing into becoming a vampire, definately not. So she gets older but what's so bad about experiencing a bit of college before a life of immortality?

I think its only write if Edward is the one to change Bella. Since she probably wouldn't have known about vampires or any of this if she didn't end up getting close to Edward. I'm sure Carlisle would have no problem with changing her, but I'm not so sure the others would be able to stop aside from Edward. It may only be a few seconds but it creates a closer connection with you and the person who changed you. (Ex; Carlisle and his family.)
Team Quil: Clove Ottawa
Emmaline-Jane: is the "Toph" of Lexicalia.
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

1. What did you think of Bella's epiphany? Do you think she was justified in believing that Edward didn't love her and that the fact that he really did stunned her? I was like, "Duh! Idiot!" I guess Edward can be pretty convincing though, and she never felt worthy in the first place.

2. How did you feel about the way the vote went? Did you understand Edward's reasoning? What about Rosalie's? Do you agree with Carlisle that it's the only logical choice? I'm glad she was going to become a vamp and I think Rosalie (at the time) was just being mean. Edward's choice made sense for him, but Carlise was right that it was really the only logical choice left.

3. Were you as stunned as Bella was when Edward asked her to marry him? How do you feel about Bella's reasons for saying no to him? No! I was soooo mad at her for not saying yes! I'll take him at minute!

4. At this point in the series - ignoring what you know from Eclipse and Breaking Dawn - did you think Bella should marry Edward? Did you think she should become a vampire as soon as possible? Or did you think she should stay mortal for a while longer? YES!!!! She should've married him right away. Well, finish high school and then get married. And then become an immortal fairly soon.

5. Did you want Edward to be the one to change Bella into a vampire? How would you feel if someone else were to change her? I wanted him to change her, but I guess as long as she was changed it wouldn't matter too too much.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
edward x lover
Fishing with Charlie

Post by edward x lover »

I thought 'jeez took you long enough!' I don't know what she was thinking when she said she wasn't enough to hold onto Edward. All she has to do is see his face when he looks at her and she has her answer.

The vote went exactly how I pictured it. I knew it was only a matter of time before Bella got her way. I Understand Edwards reasoning to an extent. He doesn't want to take anything away from her but at the same time not turning her is taking something away from her and he needs to realize that. I understand Rosalie's side perfectly this isnt what she would choose for herself and in a strange way she is triyng to protect Bella. And Carlisle is right too. They should avoid a fight with the Volturi at all costs.

I cried. And then was mad at her. How could she turn him down????!!!!! But I guess it is burned into her mind that marriage+young=bad. And she didn't say no exactly she just didn't say yes either.

I think that she would have gotten turned first and then got married if she had her way. She was desperate for immortality and Edward.

I did want him to change her but as long as it was him or Carlisle that would have been fine.
~Lee~
Team Ian because human guys can be perfect.
Team Edward-Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901
RDC<3
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

The whole time I was reading this part, I kept thinking..."Come on Bella...wake up and smell the coffee! He loves you!" but it was great when she realized it. I think she had ample reason to question Edward's love for her. All along she's felt unworthy and could never understand how she could inspire a vampire, a wonderful and perfect vampire (in her eyes), to love her. Then, he'd left her. I think the amount of pain she'd gone through wasn't something she could just pull herself out of instanteously. She needed time for her brain to resurface and wrap around the idea that he could really love her. I think it was even stronger than realizing he was in love with her the first time. I don't think, before this epiphany, she believed Edward capable of loving her as she loved him.

I was thrilled the vote went the way it did. I wasn't surprised with the way any of them voted, except Emmett. I wasn't sure which way he'd go because of Rosalie. I understand why Edward felt the way he did, but I think this is the part where he started to relent. When I read that he went into the other room and broke something, I didn't think it was because he was mad at his family for voting this way...I thought he was mad at himself for knowing he was weakening towards the idea. He knew that there were no other options left. I can see Rosalie's point of view as well, but I think again, as almost always, she was being selfish. Bella belonged with Edward and although Rosalie's choice would have been to stay human, that wasn't Bella's choice. I think Rosalie should have respected Bella's decision. And I do agree with Carlisle. I don't think there was any reason to leave Bella human at this point.

I thought it was coming...I could guess that Edward would want to get married at some point. I never would have said no..lol..so I wasn't in agreement with Bella saying no...but it made sense in relation to who Bella was. I think it was silly on her part though. She was willing to become a vampire for him but not get married? It seemed strange to me.

I was thinking that Bella should stay mortal until after graduation and getting married. I figured, as they did in the book, that it would be a good cover story. She graduates, gets married, goes off to live her life and no one has to know she's been changes.

I absoultely wanted Edward to be the one who changed her. I think the intamacy in such an event would be so strong that it would be better if Edward was the one who did it. I also thought it needed to be both their choices...Edward's choice to change her and Bella's choice to be changed. I think Bella would have wondered for forever if he was really ok with her being a vampire if someone else would have been the one to change her.

Thank you Naureen!!
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Post by sarah! »

~lol i was like come on bella.
~yes, i understood his reasoning and Rosalie's too. yah Carlisle was right.
~YES, I did not see that one coming AT ALL. she was being reasonable at the time. she was only 18!!
~ i wanted her to marry him, but not necessarily become a vampire yet.
~yes, i think it would make it more "special" if Edward did it. If Edward couldn't do it, I wanted it to be Carlisle.
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
BellsEdwardalways
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by BellsEdwardalways »

Well, first off the section of Vote that is Bella's epiphany I love reading it because it's just wonderfully written. I can understand how she thought Edward didn't love her, I mean I knew he did and I knew it even when he was gone. But anyway, what I mean is that when you don't think you are anywhere in the same league as the person you are dating it could be a bit harder to really believe that they love you. I wanted her to believe Edward before her epiphany though instead of thinking that she was dreaming. She only believed that she was dreaming because it was exactly what she wanted to hear. I am not always very good at explaining myself so I am sorry if I failed to make sense.

Translation I love Bella's epiphany and I believe she was justified and anyone who thought they were plain looking and found out that some guy who's like perfect loves you would be stunned. It's like really?!?

I was pleased with the way the vote went. I understand Edward's reasoning about wanting to keep Bella human but he's wrong. I think Edward kind of proves that just because you become a vampire doesn't mean you lose your soul. As for Rosalie I understand why she said no and like others have said Rose would love to be human and if she had a choice she wouldn't have become a vampire. She wants for Bella what she couldn't have regardless of the fact that Rose isn't overly fond of Bella.

Hmmm...it's the most logical choice I am not sure the only logical choice. So I am not sure if I agree with Carlisle or not. But to be honest I haven't much cared whether the choice is logical. It's what Bella wants and Bella being Bella probably better if she is even if the stuff that had happened hadn't.

The appropriate answer for this question for me is uh, yeah, definitely. I was like really. I so wanted her to say yes to marrying him. I think that her reasons make sense to her because of her upbringing and her life. I don't think they were ridiculous reasons or anything just misguided. Or I am not sure that's the right word but that's the best way I could describe it.

I absolutely thought Bella should marry Edward and was highly disappointed that she didn't accept. Well, I don't think it was necessary that she become one as soon as possible. I think it was reasonable that she finish high school first and then after that yes she should become a vampire soon. Soon being a few months at most and not a couple of years.

I really did want Edward to be the one to change Bella into a vampire. I would have been fine if it had been Carlisle that had changed her but extremely disappointed. It just felt right that Edward should be the one to change her.
http://chelseadawn.webs.com/
Banner by Kimmy. Avatar made by Narnia
Banner by threethings
alice_is_my_homegirl
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by alice_is_my_homegirl »

1. What did you think of Bella's epiphany? Do you think she was justified in believing that Edward didn't love her and that the fact that he really did stunned her? It was obvious and there the whole time, but it was covered by the dust of doubt.

2. How did you feel about the way the vote went? Did you understand Edward's reasoning? What about Rosalie's? Do you agree with Carlisle that it's the only logical choice? It went well. Edward has his own opinion and it's reasonable, but I think that it would be wierd when she got old. I understand Rosalie's opinion; she's trying to give Bella what she wants. Carlisle is right it IS the only logical choice.

3. Were you as stunned as Bella was when Edward asked her to marry him? How do you feel about Bella's reasons for saying no to him? No, it was inevitable to come. Bella's reasons are good. (for now)

4. At this point in the series - ignoring what you know from Eclipse and Breaking Dawn - did you think Bella should marry Edward? Did you think she should become a vampire as soon as possible? Or did you think she should stay mortal for a while longer? YES! She should wait to be turned into a vampire because she should finish highschool.

5. Did you want Edward to be the one to change Bella into a vampire? How would you feel if someone else were to change her? Edward should change her because they are each other's soulmate, and it just seems right.
Team Edward: Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901!
yanjan3
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela
Location: Happily moving to a world where Humans, Vamps and Werewolves get along...

Post by yanjan3 »

> I was like : Finally! Hallelujah! Her epiphany was touching and amazing.
Well, as she said, had I been in her shoes, I would have come to that conclusion. It would've been hard to make sense of that perfect angel's love for such a plain jane, so the moment he said he did not, it would have made more sense.

> It was expected and I was happy about it. Yes I understood Edward and Rosalie, but I don't necessarily agree with them. Yes, I agree with Carlisle, it's the only way for them, unless they want to go with Edward's running and hiding plan.. (I don't think it would go well)

> Yes, although it was expected, I didn't really think he'd ask her that soon. Bella's reasons are understandable, but considering the consequences, totally ludicrous.

> Yes she should marry Edward.
Not necessarily, they could've still waited for a while, maybe just before she hit the be 2-oh.

> YES! It would be ok if someone else changed her, but I really really wanted Edward to do it.
So it would've been clear that it was the decision of both parties to have this change and choose to have each other forever..or something like that.
ImageImage
"I rate hot guys from 1 to RobPattinson".