A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Rosmelie
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 24 ~ Vote

Post by Rosmelie »

1. What did you think of Bella's epiphany? Do you think she was justified in believing that Edward didn't love her and that the fact that he really did stunned her?
Well, I think by that point in time, Bella was not justified in thinking that Edward didn't love her. I feel that yes she could have had reservations but not to completely believe that Edward didn't love her. I guess my sense of logic comes from the whole point of really, Edward didn't even admit to loving her and he stopped a car from crushing her very early on in the entire series. If that shows nothing to Bella then I don't know what does. I don't know if the factor of Edward admitting and confessing his love for her left her stunned, or made her feel stupid in all honesty.

2. How did you feel about the way the vote went? Did you understand Edward's reasoning? What about Rosalie's? Do you agree with Carlisle that it's the only logical choice?
I can completely see Rosalie's point of view (and I actually had the notion of jealousy by the end of Twilight). I know moreso she just said a straight out "no" but, she has good reason not to wish it on anyone, and to tell others they shouldn't even think of considering it. I'm a huge Rosalie fan though. I always sit on a teeter-totter with Edward's decisions. I feel like he always leaves me hanging a little bit in the justification department, so I really can't say Yes I absolutely agree or NO I think he's ridiculous! Carlisle is Carlisle and though he'd rather people not force themselves into a life, he also doesn't want to see them get hurt by being in a life they don't fit into (if that makes any sense to you reading this). I don't know I think Carlisle just kind of goes with a flow of "well do you think this will be better or this?" and never really answers a question with a dead set answer but makes you contemplate what the pros and cons are.

3. Were you as stunned as Bella was when Edward asked her to marry him? How do you feel about Bella's reasons for saying no to him?
Hm, I wasn't really too shocked in all honesty. Edward's a gentleman in that sense, that he would at least like a person to have that commitment to him before he can really say "yes, you'll be like me some day". I mean, think about this: Would you honestly (if you were a vampire) want to change someone else if they weren't somehow committed to you in some way, knowing they could potentially get scared after being changed, and run off and create havoc? As far as Bella's reason(s) for saying no, I don't really agree. Yes her mum got married young but I don't think that should have stopped her. Bella knows she's in love at this point and knows that Edward is who she wants to spend her eternity with.

4. At this point in the series - ignoring what you know from Eclipse and Breaking Dawn - did you think Bella should marry Edward? Did you think she should become a vampire as soon as possible? Or did you think she should stay mortal for a while longer?
I guess I sit on a bridge on this. I mean, yes you say "ignore what you know from Eclipse" but my whole factor of feeling Rosalie was jealous far before this point makes me feel like Bella should have stayed mortal for some time longer at least. I don't know, this is a really hard question to which I think I just have to say...next?

5. Did you want Edward to be the one to change Bella into a vampire? How would you feel if someone else were to change her?
I actually would have looked to Alice doing it because she's so "I want to be her best friend and be her best friend forever and ever!" I think that just kind of set me off as her being the one that would want to the most. Yes, she'd probably have to work on restraint quite a lot with being around blood like that. I know had Edward not chosen to, but promised it to Bella that Carlisle probably would have gone ahead. I still feel though that I would have liked to see Alice do it.
Rosalie Hale's #1 Fan. Don't doubt it.
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. What did you think of Bella's epiphany? Do you think she was justified in believing that Edward didn't love her and that the fact that he really did stunned her? I can see how she would have thought that. He left her kind of out of the blue & before he left he was acting really indifferent.

2. How did you feel about the way the vote went? Did you understand Edward's reasoning? What about Rosalie's? Do you agree with Carlisle that it's the only logical choice? I was a little surprised actually. I wasn't sure if anyone besides Alice would say yes. I agreed w/Carlisle though that it seems really the only logical choice.

3. Were you as stunned as Bella was when Edward asked her to marry him? How do you feel about Bella's reasons for saying no to him? I was VERY stunned, never saw that one coming. I can definitely understand her reasoning to saying no at that point.

4. At this point in the series - ignoring what you know from Eclipse and Breaking Dawn - did you think Bella should marry Edward? Did you think she should become a vampire as soon as possible? Or did you think she should stay mortal for a while longer? I thought she definitely should someday soon marry him. I though she should become a vampire w/in a few years.

5. Did you want Edward to be the one to change Bella into a vampire? How would you feel if someone else were to change her? Because that's what Bella wanted I sided w/her on that one Edward should do it.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
scarlet_forever
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by scarlet_forever »

1. What did you think of Bella's epiphany? Do you think she was justified in believing that Edward didn't love her and that the fact that he really did stunned her?
I can def. see how she pushed this out of her mind. It's making things right in the end of the book. I beleive she could be stunned as well..I mean look at what all they just went through!!!

2. How did you feel about the way the vote went? Did you understand Edward's reasoning? What about Rosalie's? Do you agree with Carlisle that it's the only logical choice?
I enjoyed the whole voting thing. I can see slightly why Edward feels that way, but I'm creeped out that she would look 50 or 70 and him still 17. That baffles me completely. On Rosalie I understand her a whole lot more after Eclipse. Yes, I agree w/ Carlisle. She is still endangering the family. If the Volturi come looking for her and Edward hides her they probably won't buy that and they will try and fight them. Also, Carlisle is probably thinking way ahead in the future..if Bella dies Edward will try and kill himself again.

3. Were you as stunned as Bella was when Edward asked her to marry him? How do you feel about Bella's reasons for saying no to him?
Not really. Kind of expected it sometime. I was shocked Bella would say no, but I understand where she is coming from. She has seen all her life what it did to her family. Also, this gave an interesting twist to the story.

4. At this point in the series - ignoring what you know from Eclipse and Breaking Dawn - did you think Bella should marry Edward? Did you think she should become a vampire as soon as possible? Or did you think she should stay mortal for a while longer?
HELL YES!! I was like what are you waiting on...go Elope!! No that would ruin the story. I thought she should wait to become a vampire so her and Edward could advacne a little in their relationship.

5. Did you want Edward to be the one to change Bella into a vampire? How would you feel if someone else were to change her?
I wanted Edward to change her. I actually thought of this too when Alice said it and Carlisle said it. I wouldn't think it would be right for anyone else to do it. It would be special if Edward did it.

I just love the way Edward talks.."Explain that, please"..its so diff. than what I hear everyday. I live in the south and ppl will be like huh? or what?..myself included.lol
Xx~Scarlet_forever~xX

*~* Do you think that I could be scary?*~*
*~* What if I'm not a superhero? What if I'm the bad guy?*~*
*~* As long as I'm going to hell, I migh as well do it thoroughly*~*
*~* You smell so good in the rain*~*
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by sazykid »

It makes sense that Bella figured out her mind was trying to tell her that Edward really did love her even though he left. I can see where she would be coming from, thinking that she was never good enough for him. If I were in a relationship with a guy that was so much older and beyond beautiful I would be uneasy too. However, Edward is right, after all the times hes saved her and told her he loves her it seems ridiculous that she would ever question his love for her.

I totally support the way the vote went. I do see Edwards reasoning for wanting Bella to stay human. He does not want to damn her to hell or take away her life, and I can't blame him for that. I can see where Rosalie is coming from, but she should remember that Bella is ASKING and wants to become a vampire. She knows what she is getting herself into. Rosalie didn't get a choice, and she needs to remember the difference. I totally agree with Carlisle. Turning Bella is the only logical way to keep Bella and Edward together, and to apparently keep Edward alive.

I was seriously stunned. I have to give him credit, that was quite a slick move lol. I do understand Bella's reasons for saying no; 18 is very young, and people ALWAYS talk about stuff like that. But, as Edward points out, giving up mortality is just as big a commitment as marrying someone. They are both forever.

Although she was young, I was totally pro-marriage. I mean really, who wouldn't claim Edward as theirs in every way that they could if given the chance? Yea, no one lol. I think Edward was right in getting her to wait at least until high school was over. It would be a little easier on her family and friends if she didn't disappear in the middle of high school.

I definetly wanted Edward to be the one to change her. That seems like an extremely intimate action and there would be just one more way they are connected. I would have been ok with someone else changing her, but I would have also been disappointed.
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

I understood her when she thought Edward couldn't love her when he's so perfect and shes plain. But I guess after all that had happened and he came back and was there and was declaring his love for her.. I understand that she would be shocked. To be loved by anyone is pretty neat. ^ ^

I was glad most of them said yet. I completely understand Edwards reasoning, but he needs to listen to Bella. She loves him and she wants to be with him forever. I was a bit annoyed with Rosalies. Yes, SHE DIDN'T HAVE A CHOICE, BUT SHE WASN'T IN LOVE WITH A VAMPIRE AT THE TIME. I bet if she was, she would want to be one too. Yes, I agree with Carlisle.

I didn't think he would asked so soon, but I was happy. I got annoyed at Bella because she obviously cares more about what others think, rather than being with Edward in every human way before she turned into a vamp.

YES YES YES I thought they should get married. I thought that she would become a vamp after graduation though.

Yes. I thought it was so sweet that she wanted him to change her. I would hate it if someone else changed her.
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
futurevampire
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by futurevampire »

Silly Bella. I knew all along that he loved her. I didn't find it very surprising. How could she actually believe him???
I was very happy! Yes. Yes. Yes.
I've been hoping all along for her to become a vampire, actually, I knew she would. Edward obviously doesn't want her to, so I can understand how he would keep opposing it. He doesn't want her to give up her entire life and lose her future as a human. I also see Rosalie's side. I really like some of the thing she says, 'I wish there had been someone there to vote no for me.'
And as Carlisle said, if they can't live without each other, this really is the only way that makes sense.

I was staring at the page thinking, 'Oh my God oh my God oh my God YESYESYESYESYES!!!!!!'
Bella was being stupid. None of that matters, just say YES!!!!

Yes, I was already thinking that they would get married and then she would be a vampire, but I figured it wouldn't be for a while because Edward would be stubborn.
I wanted him to. I wouldn't mind it the others did, but there's something much more special about him being the one to do that to her, because she would be immortal for him, it seems fitting that he should be the one to actually do it.
Edward and Bella Forever!!!<3 :: Lexicalia :: Team Esme!
Mafia: Natalia Gravano/Nat :: I'm on The List!! ~Marisa
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

I could not understand the Bella didn't believe Edward loved her (but then again, I was not the one left in the woods that day in September..). I never doubted his love for her, and neither should she. He told her time and time again that he loved her, but for Bella what he said in the woods just seemed to wipe all that away.

I was happy with the vote, it was not unexpected. I understand Edward's reasoning. He does not want to take anything away from Bella, he want's her to live a full life and not miss out on anything. But Edward needed to realize that them staying together just wouldn't work out if she stayed human. So I totally agree with Carlisle, there is no other option.
I understand Rosalie's point, since she clearly missed being human so much. But that was Rosalie's life, Bella is in a completely different situation. Bella has made her choice.

Totally unexpected at the time. I knew he would ask her sooner or later, but surprised at the time. I could see her reasons, but...She did want to stay with him forever, she would become a vampire to be with him..So why not marry him?

Of course she should marry him. The wanted to be together. I wanted her to stay mortal a little longer. At least through highschool, so that she could experience that and then leave home at natural time.

I wanted it to be Edward. It would make it more special. And it would be a decision that both of them made, at a time when they both wanted it. I always felt that the decision should be between the two of them.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
TwilightxSagaxLover
Wandering Through Town

Post by TwilightxSagaxLover »

1.) I actually think Bella's subconscious mind knew that Edward loved her even when he was telling he that he didn't. I think that her epiphany was just the realization of what her hallucinations had been trying to tell her. I just don't think she wanted to believe it herself, that Edward still loved her, because even though she had no intention of letting go if she ever decided to she would never be able to with that hope. I don't think it stunned as much as her own stupidity on the fact that she knew this but wasn't very aware of it.

2.) I think the vote when the way Bella had thought it would and i think it went the way that Edward thought it would go to because he knew how the family felt about it and he knew he also felt the same. I think Edward almost wanted it to end the way it did so he could plant the marriage card because in the end he knew it would be what Bella would want most even if she never acted like it. I think Rosalie wanted Bella to be a part of the family but i feel she truly felt that it was not the right choice for her. I agree completely that Carlisle's choice was the only was available that was logical. If Edward and Bella couldn't live without each other, New Moon proving that, that he could only do one thing to make both of them happy. Vampirization.

3.) I wasn't actually stunned at all in fact. I think that in the way that Bella may have known, i think i might have too. She asked in the first book if marriage for Vampires was the same as marriage for Humans. When Edward's replied yes, i kinda thought that maybe since there was more books that that would probably be the conclusion to the series. I also knew that there would be a catch, something Edward would receive and ultimately Bella would want in the end, if Bella got her way about the change. I think that the reasons Bella said no was because she wasn't taught to say yes to a question like that. I believe that after your mother runs away with you from a young marriage you learn that maybe it isn't the right way to go, that it might be a bad idea from the start. She knew though, i believe, that Edward would always get his way.

4.) I thought that they should get married. I thought this because, who else did each other want to be with? Answer: No one. They each only wanted each other and becoming immortal also kept that alive as well. If she were to stay mortal and get married like Edward wanted it would be pointless even though it would be a way to show love and commitment, if there was a way to keep them together forever, then why not do it? I believe that them getting married was a way for Bella to that A.) she only wanted Edward and B.) she was able to commit to something that wasn't as big for her as changing her was for Edward. I believe it was Edward's of knowing that if they were going to be together forever, that they were never going to have a reason to leave and that they could both commit to something strongly enough.

5.) I think that not only did i but everyone else thought that Edward should be the one to change her. It was a symbolism, as she had said. The fact that he would be the one to change her, because he wanted to keep her forever. The fact that he would be the one who would be tied to her in that one way that mattered so much. It was like her having his baby, they were tied in a way that marriage and oaths could never be, because it showed that they wanted to keep each other forever and not just that Bella wanted it and Edward wanted her, they both felt the same way about each other.
They were not calling to me; they were letting me go, leaving me to the black universe I had wandered for so many lifetimes. It wasn't black at all, it was blue. Warm, vibrant, brilliant blue... i floated into it with no fear at all.
Team Edward
Dorito
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Dorito »

Edward loves her, he just had to break through the screen between love and infatuation. Like he said, he was on his way to returning when the call happened.

Yes to Edward and Carlisle. Rosalie's answer made me curious as to what her whole story is and why she would say that.

That certainly came out of nowhere, but obviously was something he had thought about. Bella learned from her parents that young marriage doesn't work. Though really it's not the age that matters--rather the people doing the marrying. So she's only looking at it for age and an extreme measure of committment from him.

Stay mortal a little while longer. Though some people call graduation a rite of passage into adulthood, my own graduation only kept me away from what I wanted to do--which isn't saying much since I was nearly kicked out before it even began without any effort on my part. I just went through with it for my parents' sake. Yes, I believed she would marry him once she had gotten some time to think about it, since before this it had never been an idea for her since probably childhood. Then turn.

Edward should be the one, to overcome his own distain for her change. And who knows what would happen if any of the others had gotten a taste of her blood?
I'll be your Edward if you'll be my Bellas
Reese1603
Settled in Forks

Post by Reese1603 »

I am super glad she came to it! I think she is justified in the belief.... I have had abandonment feelings in my life (too long to go into detail) but sadly, I knew exactly how she felt. Its nearly impossible to go without thinking to yourself "this person might leave again...they did once....I know they are capable" despite all rational thoughts. So, the fact that Edward really did love her must have been an AMAZING feeling.

2. How did you feel about the way the vote went? Did you understand Edward's reasoning? What about Rosalie's? Do you agree with Carlisle that it's the only logical choice? YES! It has to be the only logical choice. obviously it won't work any other way, and Bella won't be happy until she is a vampire, either.

3. Were you as stunned as Bella was when Edward asked her to marry him? How do you feel about Bella's reasons for saying no to him? I was stunned, yes. But so happy. I thought about it from Edward's perspective and realized for the first time how GLAD he is to be back, how much he missed her, how much he really loves her, and how much he wants to stay with her for all eternity. Just the fact that he was willing to give up the time constraint deal for marriage instead....I actually felt kind of bad for Edward when she reacted the way she did. I still don't completely understand 100% why Bella is SOOO against marriage when Edward makes it clear they don't even have to tell anyone....a trip to Vegas, a drive through chapel and Viola!

4. At this point in the series - ignoring what you know from Eclipse and Breaking Dawn - did you think Bella should marry Edward? Did you think she should become a vampire as soon as possible? Or did you think she should stay mortal for a while longer?YES, and YES. Well, about the vampire thing, I didn't think it should be as soon as possible, because I knew that it would never work out right. First of all, Bella was still in major trouble for going to Italy - and it wouldn't take Charlie long to realize that that's where Bella was. But I thought she should have become a vampire as soon as possible. Plus, despite all the objections Edward had to her becoming a vampire, I knew that he would be much happier when she was one......