Chapter 23 ~ The Truth

A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Re: Chapter 23 ~ The Truth

Post by sarah! »

1. When Bella thinks that she has died she states, "If I was in hell, you wouldn't be with me." What do you think she means by that?
~he should go to heaven.
2. In the part where Edward is telling Bella that he should have been more careful before he went to Italy, he says, "What was I supposed to think when the boy said Charlie was at the funeral? What are the odds?" Edward contemplates "the odds" what do you think he is thinking about then?
~The odds. lol and probably wanted to know who's funeral it really was.
3. Edward has a plan for if and when the Volturi come to check on Bella. Do you think the Cullens would actually have a chance against them on their own?
~no i don't think so. that would be awesome if they did.
4. At the end of the chapter Bella decides to put her mortality to a vote. What do you think made her come to this decision? What is Edward thinking when he hears why she wants to go to his house?
~She knows that Edward will be outvoted. He was probably speculating and trying to find a way to convince her to remain mortal.
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
runningali
Settled in Forks

Post by runningali »

1. When Bella thinks that she has died she states, "If I was in hell, you wouldn't be with me." What do you think she means by that?

If she was in hell then having Edward with her wouldn't be an option. In Bella's world, Edward is her angel who she wants to be with forever -- hell would not offer him to her.

2. In the part where Edward is telling Bella that he should have been more careful before he went to Italy, he says, "What was I supposed to think when the boy said Charlie was at the funeral? What are the odds?" Edward contemplates "the odds" what do you think he is thinking about then?

The odds that Alice would be wrong, that Rosalie would choose to convey the message, that *another* person who is in Bella's life would have died on the same day that he called to check on Bella. Too many coincidences...a perfect storm.

3. Edward has a plan for if and when the Volturi come to check on Bella. Do you think the Cullens would actually have a chance against them on their own?

No - the sheer volume of the Volturri and their guards and the special powers they possess make them too big of a threat for the Cullens.

4. At the end of the chapter Bella decides to put her mortality to a vote. What do you think made her come to this decision? What is Edward thinking when he hears why she wants to go to his house?

I think ultimately Bella is completely alteristic. To her, the thought of bringing the Volturri to Forks and to the Cullens is unthinkable. She wants to protect her family and the Cullens and the only "fair" way to address that is to have the Cullens vote on her mortality. She clearly says to them at the dining table that if they decide they do not want her, she will go to Italy on her own to make sure that no one else is impacted by their interest in Bella. Of course, she also wants to stay with Edward forever and being a vampire makes that possible.

Edward, while I love him, is being somewhat arrogant - he really feels like it's his decision and that he can control the outcome. I don't think he realizes how his family will come down on the vote.
yanjan3
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela
Location: Happily moving to a world where Humans, Vamps and Werewolves get along...

Post by yanjan3 »

> I know exactly what she means. Hell is a place of the greatest suffering and pain. The greatest suffering and pain for her is to be without Edward. So if Edward is with her, it wasn't hell.

> The odds that there was a funeral at the same time that she jumped off a cliff to supposedly die.

> No. They have the advantages of special abilities and strong allies.

> I think that she came to the decision because she knew it would affect everyone (even the uninformed people of forks); and while they left the decision to themselves it would always be an impasse, this time there would be clear 'yes' or 'no' on the matter putting in mind that odds would be leaning towards 'yes'.
ImageImage
"I rate hot guys from 1 to RobPattinson".
alice_is_my_homegirl
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by alice_is_my_homegirl »

1. When Bella thinks that she has died she states, "If I was in hell, you wouldn't be with me." What do you think she means by that? For her, life without Edward was a living hell.

2. In the part where Edward is telling Bella that he should have been more careful before he went to Italy, he says, "What was I supposed to think when the boy said Charlie was at the funeral? What are the odds?" Edward contemplates "the odds" what do you think he is thinking about then? The odds of Bella's death being somewhat related to his actions.

3. Edward has a plan for if and when the Volturi come to check on Bella. Do you think the Cullens would actually have a chance against them on their own? Depends on how many there are.

4. At the end of the chapter Bella decides to put her mortality to a vote. What do you think made her come to this decision? What is Edward thinking when he hears why she wants to go to his house? It involves everyone now, and she thinks that it's fair that they have a say in it. Edward's thoughts are probably along the lines of that he's already lost because he knows what his family thinks on the matter.
Team Edward: Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901!
BellsEdwardalways
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by BellsEdwardalways »

She means that any place where Edward is with her is heaven for her not hell. Or in other words it's not possible for her to be in hell if Edward is with her.

Maybe the odds that there just happen to be funeral for someone else around the same time Bella had jumped off of a cliff. Also, maybe about the odds that Alice had been wrong about Bella being dead because had she been able to see the werewolves she wouldn't have thought Bella died. The odds that out of all the times Alice is right it was the one time she wasn't because of her inability to see werewolves. I am going to stop rambling.

That's funny and not in a crack me up hysterical way. I mean it in the way that the Cullens wouldn't really have a prayer's chance if it came to a fight. And it would most likely would come to that. But hey you never know I could be wrong.

What made her come to the decision is that she realized that this really was not just affecting her anymore but people she cared about plus I think she wanted to hear from someone other than the incredibly stubborn Edward about what they thought about her becoming a vampire. Well, gee, I am not so good with delving into Edward's thoughts as some of the others on here probably are but I would have to say he was probably frustrated that she was doing what she was doing. But I am sure he figured he might as well be the one to take her back to his house for it because Bella was going to be resolute in deciding to include his family in her mortality. There's also the part where he said he did just to humor her or something along that line. Okay, my brain is literally mush so I am going to end this now before my post gets anymore confusing.
Last edited by BellsEdwardalways on Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://chelseadawn.webs.com/
Banner by Kimmy. Avatar made by Narnia
Banner by threethings
readmymind
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by readmymind »

2 things: 1. Edward wouldn't be in hell and 2. She wouldn't be lucky enough to have him there with her.

Just all they've been through. Including magical creatures and Bella's clumsiness.

I've read Eclipse and Breaking Dawn, so I can't comment.

Because it affect's the Cullens. And she knows at least Alice will vote to change her. I don't know exactly what he was thinking, but I knew he didn't like the idea.
Midnight Sun: She was dreaming of me. And it wasn't even a nightmare. She wanted me stay with her, there in the dream.--Edward Cullen
spiritwolf32
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by spiritwolf32 »

1. When Bella thinks that she has died she states, "If I was in hell, you wouldn't be with me." What do you think she means by that?
She meant that there was no way that Edward could be in hell. That he did have a soul and if something happened to him then that was one place that he wouldn't end up.

2. In the part where Edward is telling Bella that he should have been more careful before he went to Italy, he says, "What was I supposed to think when the boy said Charlie was at the funeral? What are the odds?" Edward contemplates "the odds" what do you think he is thinking about then?
He could have been thinking that since Bella is so accident prone that she could have had an accident, or that she hasn't moved on and she just gave up and committed the suicide that he heard about. It could also me that it was a weird coincident that someone did die when things happened the way they did.

No, I doubt it. Even if some survived, all of them wouldn't have.

pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. When Bella thinks that she has died she states, "If I was in hell, you wouldn't be with me." What do you think she means by that? She believes that when/if Edward dies he won't be going to hell that he does have a soul & will be going to heaven.

2. In the part where Edward is telling Bella that he should have been more careful before he went to Italy, he says, "What was I supposed to think when the boy said Charlie was at the funeral? What are the odds?" Edward contemplates "the odds" what do you think he is thinking about then? How can I believe your dead & Charlie is at a funeral, it couldn't be someone else. It had to be you.

3. Edward has a plan for if and when the Volturi come to check on Bella. Do you think the Cullens would actually have a chance against them on their own? Just from getting to know them in NM I wouldn't think so. They seem to have a lot of followers and there only 7 Cullens.

4. At the end of the chapter Bella decides to put her mortality to a vote. What do you think made her come to this decision? What is Edward thinking when he hears why she wants to go to his house? She knows that Edwards reluctance (sorry couldn't think of a better word at the moment) to having Bella changed could get the rest of his family in trouble, and she already knows that she has Alice on her side. I'm not sure what he could have been thinking but he probably didn't like the idea.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
scarlet_forever

Post by scarlet_forever »

I think she means Edward doesn't deserve to be in Hell..that he is heaven. She is always comparing him to an angel and putting herself below him.

He couldn't beleive that it would be anyone else, but Bella dead. Also, everything they have been through..seems like he is always there saving her life.

This I'm not sure..I don't think so though. Hard to say when I've read BD.

Edward seems unwilling so she beleives his family will agree w/ her and override him. Hard to know what he is thinking here, but I'm sure he is thinking of more ways to unconvince her and what he can say to his family.
Xx~Scarlet_forever~xX

*~* Do you think that I could be scary?*~*
*~* What if I'm not a superhero? What if I'm the bad guy?*~*
*~* As long as I'm going to hell, I migh as well do it thoroughly*~*
*~* You smell so good in the rain*~*
sazykid

Post by sazykid »

1. When Bella thinks that she has died she states, "If I was in hell, you wouldn't be with me." What do you think she means by that?
Her version of heaven includes Edward, so if she died then she must be in heaven because Edward is there with her.

2. In the part where Edward is telling Bella that he should have been more careful before he went to Italy, he says, "What was I supposed to think when the boy said Charlie was at the funeral? What are the odds?" Edward contemplates "the odds" what do you think he is thinking about then?
It seems to me that he is just thinking about all the things that have gone wrong in their relationship. He was probably contemplating what else could possibly go wrong, and how on Earth Bella still loves him after all the danger shes been put in.

I'm going to have to say, no. The Volturi have been in power a long time and I'm sure they've been up against more intense vampires than the Cullens.

She still isn't convinced Edward wants to keep her forever and since her mortaility can effect his whole family now, they should have a say in it. He is probably mad because he knows what his family will say and he will be in the minority. Hes probably upset too, because he knows Bella has found a loop hole in his plan to leave her human.