A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Re: Chapter 17 ~ The Visitor

Post by openfire »

1) Who were you expecting in the house? Where you disappointed it wasn't Edward?
I thought it was going to be Carlisle, and I really didn't think it was going to be Edward (no matter how much I kinda wished it would be!). I was really really thrilled when I found out it was Alice! I was holding my breath and Bella walked into the house, and was so relieved when it wasn't a trap!! This whole chapter I think is excellent. One of the best of the book I think.

2) Did Alice's reaction to the news of werewolves in Forks taint your opinion of the pack?
The fact that Alice really did not like them made me think maybe they were a bit more dangerous than I originally thought. I would belive the Cullens over the wolves any day, so I guess it may have tainted my opinion a little bit I guess.

3) What do you think of Alice's history? Do you find her parents to have been barbaric?
I was really sad to hear what happened to her. I found it shocking that anyone could do that to their child, even back then. When she was telling Bella about it, I was definately feeling the pain of it.

4) This is our first real glimpse into Charlie's pain over Bella. How did the scene between Charlie and Alice effect your opinion of Charlie as a parent?
This is the part of the chapter that kills me! I have a lot of respect for Charlie, I really do think he is a great parent. I thought he dealth with Bella's pain well, the best he could really, and it was heart breaking to hear what he went through then with her.

5) An important piece of information was learned in this chapter regarding Alice's second sight & werewolves. How do you think this effected Alice's confidence?
I was surprised that Alice couldn't see the wolves! I think Alice was terribly shocked, and angry about it. I think it would defo affect her confidence with her sight.
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by misskiley »

1) Who were you expecting in the house? Where you disappointed it wasn't Edward?
No because I wasn't expecting Edward,.. I was expecting Victoria. When I found out it was Alice I was SOOOOOO excited!! :) Did not expect that at all.

2) Did Alice's reaction to the news of werewolves in Forks taint your opinion of the pack?
Kind of but not really. Obviously they are enemies but I was a little more surprised by how she didn't like that fact that he was a new werewolf.

3) What do you think of Alice's history? Do you find her parents to have been barbaric?
Not really.. it was a long time ago and Alice was having visions. I can see how she would end up at a hospital.

4) This is our first real glimpse into Charlie's pain over Bella. How did the scene between Charlie and Alice effect your opinion of Charlie as a parent?
It made me very sad! Listening to that story and feeling his pain was so overwhelming. You definitely get a bigger look at Charlie and his feelings, which is not very often.

5) An important piece of information was learned in this chapter regarding Alice's second sight & werewolves. How do you think this effected Alice's confidence?
I bet she took a big hit. She's not used to not knowing things.. it's basically like .. I was going to say eating or breathing but technically besides drinking blood.. she doesn't do those haha. I guess it's kinda like an Edward thing and how he can only not hear Bella..
April Allen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by April Allen »

OHMYGOD, I was so nervous at that part. I didn't think it would be Edward in the house, although I deep inside hoped it, so I was a little disappointed :( , but any Cullen would make have hopes again!

Um, no. I figured she'd think they were dangerous, because they're enemies. But we already knew the pack well, so I didn't change my mind about them.

I felt sorry for her, and yes, thought her parents were barbaric.

That scene, with Charlie telling everything to Alice made me remember the break-up scene, and made me so sad. We finally knew what happend in all those months. I felt so sorry for Charlie, and thought he was a great dad, he worried so much for her.

A lot. She freaks out and gets angry when she can't see.
"Oh, I'm with the vampires, of course." - Bella Swan
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

I never even thought it would be Edward, but I had hope off course... I thought it was really just Carlisle.

No, off course she says they're dangerous, but the werewolves also think that of the vampires. I already knew Jake wasn't dangerous, so why start thinking that now?

I felt really sad about it. How can anyone do that to their child? But, considering the times she was born in, it does make sense.

This was the first time I really felt for him. I kind off realized now how deep his feelings went.

I think she must have felt off. It wouldn't make her more confident in her visions. When you've known you could always rely on your visions and now you can't... That must suck!
Gochiruzeru
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Gochiruzeru »

I knew it was Alice, and I was happy to see her! I wasn't disappointed that it wasn't Edward; I love Alice. :D

Nope. I think it's pretty natural for her to dislike them, since vampires and werewolves are natural enemies. Besides, I already like the pack too much to change my mind.

No. During that time period, people (especially women) were thrown into the asylum for even the smallest things. It was just the way it was.

I really liked Charlie here. It's clear how much he loves Bella... I wish Bella was a bit nicer to him.

She seemed pretty upset about it... She seems a lot less confident in her visions now.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

No, I thought it would be Alice because she's mentioned in the preface, and there seemed good reason for her to turn up at this point!

No.

It was difficult to say with so little information supplied.

He is certainly very caring and far more observant than he comes across.

I don't think she's terribly happy finding she has such a major limitation.