Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
TillyWhitlock
Playing Thunderball
Location: Wandering through the forest hoping to stumble upon Jasper

Re: Chapter 7 ~ Repetition

Post by TillyWhitlock »

1)Why did Bella want to try cliff diving? Do you think it was because she wanted to hear Edward's voice again or she wanted to be "absolutely free”, unthinking, and utterly irresponsible? OR do you think there was another, deeper issue?
Bella had issues in this book. I think without realizing it, she was suicidal. She was doing things that could potentially kill her. It wasn’t as if she wanted to die, at least she wasn’t thinking it or speaking it, but every time she did something that would bring up Edward’s voice, she was suicidal.

2)Why wouldn't Billy tell Jacob what was going on with Sam, and Jacob's friends? (as to why the were acting strangely). Do you feel Jacob could've handled and understood the truth if he was told at the beginning of New Moon?
It wasn’t Billy’s place to tell Jake what was going on with Sam and Embry. It was like if Jake had known that this was coming do you think he still would have been with Bells? Probably not. He would have started the distancing thing. And that would kill Bella.

3)Another albino comment is made, not by Bella this time but by Jacob.
"I've never seen anyone paler than you except for---," Jacob says.
Why do you think Bella's paleness is mentioned yet again? Is it a comparison between the "light" side and the "dark" side, an innocent comment on Jacob's part or something else?
I think it’s Stephenie’s attempt at foreshadowing what Aro says to her. Aro makes a remark about how it seems almost as if Bella was made to be a vampire. I think in the story it was simply supposed to be one of those things where it’s said innocently, but it’s saying keep in mind that Bella is so pale she could be a vampire.

4)Bella calls Jacob her "fix" on page 162. A fix is something to make you feel temporarily better in regards to your physical or emotional health. Do you think Bella realizes that her close friendship with Jacob, throughout the first ¾ of the book, might only be temporary? Did you think he would continue to be her fix throughout "Eclipse" if something upsets her about Edward?
I don’t think she thought of the friendship with Jacob as temporary. She thought Edward was never coming back. So as long as Jake was there to help her through things, she’d be there for him regardless. As soon as she chose Alice over him though, in her mind she terminated the friendship. She may not have wanted it, but she knew the line was drawn in the sand.
Garage,Bodyguard,APPC,EDC
"Drug" Dealer to THE 6. The price: One bottle of Honey or Syrup.

SarahGoddard~ The Best Lexling ever!
Twi-Twin=Kimmy
FrighteninLilMonster
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by FrighteninLilMonster »

1)Why did Bella want to try cliff diving? Do you think it was because she wanted to hear Edward's voice again or she wanted to be "absolutely free”, unthinking, and utterly irresponsible? OR do you think there was another, deeper issue?
I think it was both; mainly because she wanted to be reckless and break her promises and hear his voice, but once she saw how free they they looked, that would have been a big draw. I don't think she did it purely for the danger, only the rewards she got from the danger - she didn't want to hurt herself. She was never suicidal.

2)Why wouldn't Billy tell Jacob what was going on with Sam, and Jacob's friends? (as to why the were acting strangely). Do you feel Jacob could've handled and understood the truth if he was told at the beginning of New Moon?
I don't think he could have handled it at all. He thought the old legends were just fairytales; if Billy had told him what was going on, he would have thought Billy was joking with him and been offended. If he'd realised it was the truth and it could happen to him he would have freaked out. I think Billy did the best thing possible by leaving him in the dark.

Why do you think Bella's paleness is mentioned yet again? Is it a comparison between the "light" side and the "dark" side, an innocent comment on Jacob's part or something else?

I think it's a subtle way of showing how vampire-esque she's looking these days; pale, thinner, purple shadows under her eyes (from sleep deprivation rather than thirst, though). It's a comparision between Jacob, healthy and dark-skinned and wolf, and Bella, in a bad way and pale as the vampires she wants. It's relating her back to the Cullens and keeping them - and Edward - a central part of the story, a constant prescence, even when they aren't away.

4)Bella calls Jacob her "fix" on page 162. A fix is something to make you feel temporarily better in regards to your physical or emotional health. Do you think Bella realizes that her close friendship with Jacob, throughout the first ¾ of the book, might only be temporary? Did you think he would continue to be her fix throughout "Eclipse" if something upsets her about Edward?
I don't think she fully realises that the fix is temporary; she's only thinking in the present and trying to only live in the present, so she doesn't think about the future. She doesn't stop to think properly about how things could never stay the same way between her and Jacob; that there's nothing temporary about him. I didn't have a clue how they'd work out in Eclipse... I didn't think she'd run to him if Edward got on her nerves, though. She wouldn't toy him around quite that bad.
'Out of nowhere, she was perched on Jasper's back, her lips at his neck.
Jasper chuckled, shaking his head.
"You truly are one frightening little monster."'
~APPC~
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tonya »

1)Why did Bella want to try cliff diving? Do you think it was because she wanted to hear Edward's voice again or she wanted to be "absolutely free”, unthinking, and utterly irresponsible? OR do you think there was another, deeper issue? No deeper issue, and at the time she did not know it would bring on Edwards voice, she wanted to be a reckless as possible and that was really reckless. It was all about her decision to break her promise.

2)Why wouldn't Billy tell Jacob what was going on with Sam, and Jacob's friends? (as to why the were acting strangely). Do you feel Jacob could've handled and understood the truth if he was told at the beginning of New Moon? Jacob knew everything already but did not believe it so he probably would have had the old man commited.

Why do you think Bella's paleness is mentioned yet again? Is it a comparison between the "light" side and the "dark" side, an innocent comment on Jacob's part or something else? I think he was just joking with her about her skin being so darn pale. He goes to school on the res so he sees nothing but darker skinned people she is pale to him. I this point to Jake doesn't know Edward's really a vampire. The only reason he doesn't like him is because he hurt Bella.

4)Bella calls Jacob her "fix" on page 162. A fix is something to make you feel temporarily better in regards to your physical or emotional health. Do you think Bella realizes that her close friendship with Jacob, throughout the first ¾ of the book, might only be temporary? Did you think he would continue to be her fix throughout "Eclipse" if something upsets her about Edward? I don't think he continued to be her "fix" after Bella was reunited with Edward. She had no need of a "fix" after that. In the beginning she did use him but she did genuinely like him and the became friends I don't think she went to him because she was upset with Edward she just wanted to spend time with her friend.
you.are.my.heroin

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

A little bit of both, yes she wanted to hear Edwards voice, but I think she wasn't comptly okay yet, part of her still felt so alone that it might of welcomed death.

Beacue Jake was getting older and wasn't turning, so Billy didn't know what was going on, I bet he wouldn't of believed it cause he was always like sill superstitions.

Why do you think Bella's paleness is mentioned yet again? Is it a comparison between the "light" side and the "dark" side, an innocent comment on Jacob's part or something else?

I think that it is foreshowding that she could be pailer...and will be pailer...and it was just Jake being Jake

Only when Edwards not around, cause theres some friendships that just can't go away no matter what.
**Kathryn**
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

i thought "oh there she goes again! obsessing over his voice!"

i dont think so. i think that both bella and jacob learn a lot in both educational and emotional senses in New Moon.

Why do you think Bella's paleness is mentioned yet again? Is it a comparison between the "light" side and the "dark" side, an innocent comment on Jacob's part or something else?
wow.... thats a good comparison... i would never had thought of it like that!

4)Bella calls Jacob her "fix" on page 162. A fix is something to make you feel temporarily better in regards to your physical or emotional health. Do you think Bella realizes that her close friendship with Jacob, throughout the first ¾ of the book, might only be temporary? Did you think he would continue to be her fix throughout "Eclipse" if something upsets her about Edward?
i thought that jacob would always be there for her and if edward did come back he would still be there for her! nor much to it after that!
Betting on Alice.
rainbowcrayon
Wandering Through Town

Chapter 7 ~ Repetition

Post by rainbowcrayon »

I think she wanted to hear Edward again, and at the same time as she is attempting to reunite with him, she is shoving him away, attempting to be free, and break all promises, all rules. Perhaps there is another, deeper issue within Bella... She is incredibly unstable, and becomes a younger version of herself with Jacob's influence. Yet even Jacob cautions her against cliff diving. I don't understand this completely, but perhaps there is a more psychological instead of merely emotional issue within the core of Bella's being.

2)Why wouldn't Billy tell Jacob what was going on with Sam, and Jacob's friends (as to why the were acting strangely)? Do you feel Jacob could've handled and understood the truth if he was told at the beginning of New Moon?
Billy wasn't really allowed to tell the tribe's secrets, and it would have been dangerous for Jacob to know if he never made the change from human to werewolf. Jacob wasn't really mature enough at the beginning of New Moon to really deal with the truth. He grows over the course of the book, learning through the hard time and his relationship with Bella until he is prepared to deal with the amazing monstrosity of the truth. At the opening of the book, Jacob is the happy, friendly, open, and loveable person that everone cares about. This is what initially attracts Bella to him, and helps create their deeper relationship. As this carefree person, Jacob is not truly mature enough to handle the truth of the legend.

I did notice this... Usually Bella is the one who comments on her pale skin ("the albino cracks"), and then Jacob makes a comment of his own. Bella's paleness is mentioned to contrast the difference between herself and Jacob, in more ways than dark and light. Jacob is darkskinned, and Bella light, yet Bella carries a heavy burden of grief while Jacob does not. Later Jacob is the one carrying the dark secret of the werewolves while Bella is free, only trying to understand her friend. Yet at the same time she is not, and really is never free, as Jacob is the one who holds her together, when at the same time he is only carving out his own piece of her heart. This is a deep issue, and comment in general, and would probably go on way to long if I attempted to expand upon it here.

4)Bella calls Jacob her "fix" on page 162. A fix is something to make you feel temporarily better in regards to your physical or emotional health. Do you think Bella realizes that her close friendship with Jacob, throughout the first ¾ of the book, might only be temporary? Did you think he would continue to be her fix throughout Eclipse if something upsets her about Edward?
Bella does not realize Jacob may only be temporary. Had she had the slightest notion Edward would return, she may not have sunk into suck a deep depression and perhaps would not have relied so much on Jacob. In Twilight, Edward calls Bella his heroin, and in Eclipse, Jacob calls Edward Bella's drug. In a way this is a terrible metaphor, as it symbolizes an unhealthy love. It is another debate whether each truly loves the other, yet it is interesting how often drugs are compared to the wild, needing sense of love (or lust) they have for one another. I think she gets the first glimpse that Jacob may only be a temporary figure in her life when she leaves after fighting with him at his house, after his transformation. She goes through many tears before Jacob appears at her window, in a way foreshadowing the terrible night to come in Eclipse when she says goodbye to Jacob, fully, truly. And yet even this is debatable. I had hoped Jacob would remain in Eclipse, as a great figure in Bella's life. Jacob is a rather amazing person, all said and done. He does hold Bella together even though he may carve out his own hole in her heart, so she is "riddled like Swiss cheese."
If you're not really here, I don't want to be either. I want to be next to you.
black and gold, black and gold, black and gold, black and gold, black and gold, black and gold.
April Allen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by April Allen »

Edward's voice, for sure.

Maybe, I don't know.

I think it was an innocent comment. What else.

4)Bella calls Jacob her "fix" on page 162. A fix is something to make you feel temporarily better in regards to your physical or emotional health. Do you think Bella realizes that her close friendship with Jacob, throughout the first ¾ of the book, might only be temporary? Did you think he would continue to be her fix throughout "Eclipse" if something upsets her about Edward?
Well, she didn't knew Edward was coming back. And New Moon ended with Bella fighting with Jacob... I don't know.
"Oh, I'm with the vampires, of course." - Bella Swan
misskiley

Post by misskiley »

Reckless in Forks.. or rather La Push lol. She is at a rebelious stage where she's trying to do everything she can to be dangerous and reckless.. and cliff diving was the jackpot.

Ehh.. it's one of those things I imagine where you just need to experience. Talking about it would probably just freak Jacob out and could possibly make him try to do everything he could not to make it happen.. which in the end could make it all worse.

Jacob is a teaser and I'm sure he was just messing with Bella.. I don't think he intentionally was going to bring up the Cullens, but the Cullens were such a huge deal to the tribe, he probably didn't realize til he was already saying it and that's why he stopped.

No. When people with addictive personalities or rather in Bella's case, get addicted to just one thing.. if you have a "clean break" or just cut that addiction cold turkey.. you'll cling yourself to the next thing that gives you temporary relief.. But even before now, in Twilight she made refrences about how easy going Jacob made her feel and how excited she was to see him.. she was just so obsorbed with Edward, she never tried to make anything of their friendship. I never thought she would run to Jacob if Edward made her mad in Eclipse..
Timothy
Learning to Love Green

Post by Timothy »

I think Bella simply wanted to be as reckless as possible, whatever it took to keep some part of Edward with her. I don't think there was a deeper issue, say her being suicidal or anything.

I don't think Jacob would've believed him. I mean, he didn't take much stock in the previous legends he was told.

I don't think there's a deeper meaning to it besides Jacob simply goofing around with Bella. It might refer to Bella's future as a vampire, but I think that might be a stretch.

I think Bella might've initially wanted to just feel better, but she sees that Jacob is good for her and makes her forget, for a moment, the pain she feels. I don't think anything could ever tear Bella away from Edward. Nothing to make Bella to run to Jacob.

Death is peaceful, easy. Life is harder.
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

By then, she hadn't realized it was adrenaline responsible for Edward's voice. I think she just wanted to not keep her promise, like he did.

I think he wouldn't believe it if he was told by Billy. He never believed the legends to start with. I feel he could've handled it if he was shown by Sam.

I think it was just an innocent comment.

I thought it was going to be a friendship for life.