A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 5 ~ Cheater

Post by sazykid »

1) This is the first mention we have of the huge black bear wandering around the forest of Forks. What was your first impression of this information? Did you think it would be as important as it turned out to be?
I thought it was kind of strange, but I didn't really think to much about it after. I figured it would probably be important later, or it wouldn't have been in the book at all.

2) What did you think of Mike in this chapter and his behavior toward Bella? Were you surprised that he wasn't trying to "make the most" of working alone with her?
I was glad to see that Mike was still friendly toward her since she had been so distant with everyone for so long. She needed whatever friends she could have to help her through her pain. No, I wasn't surprised he wasn't making the most of their alone time. It would be obvious to anyone that she was still upset over Edward. There wouldn't be much point in persuing Bella because she was in no shape to be persued.

3) What did you think of Bella's motorcycle plan?
Two things came to me. First, that had to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I wouldn't care if Edward was the only person left on Earth, risking your life to hear his voice is ridiculous. Then, I thought, that is kind of creative lol.

4) When you first saw Jacob through Bella's eyes, what did you think? Did you like him? Did you think he would become as important to her as he did?
I liked Jacob a lot. He was the port in her storm that she needed so badly. I figured he would become pretty important because of how close Billy and Charlie were, and because she purposely went looking for him. I also figured he'd be in the picture a lot since he was the one who would be fixing the motorcycles.

5) Were you surprised by Bella's complete reluctance to leave Forks or did you suspect it given Edward's minimally lingering presence? Why or why not?
So it was a while ago when I read New Moon so I don't really remember anything about her leaving in this chapter. But, I can imagine she wouldn't want to leave because of Edward's voice. She probably suspected hearing his voice had something to do with Forks being the place where they were together. She was probably afraid that if she left his voice would go away too.

6) This is the first time we see Billy without Edward around or the threat of Edward looming. Did your impression of him change at all from Twilight? Why or why not?
Billy always seemed like a good guy, he was just a little overbearing. This was just the first time we get to see Billy without anything to upset him. We finally get to see the "real" Billy.
scarlet_forever
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by scarlet_forever »

1) This is the first mention we have of the huge black bear wandering around the forest of Forks. What was your first impression of this information? Did you think it would be as important as it turned out to be?
I thought it had something to do w/ vampires...I don't know why since they don't have fur!! lol, but I thought maybe they were just seeing shadows and possibly that it was Emmett or a bad vampire. I was way off!!!!!

2) What did you think of Mike in this chapter and his behavior toward Bella? Were you surprised that he wasn't trying to "make the most" of working alone with her?
Mike must really be over her now or pretty much think he has no chance at all. Plus, Bella has changed..she's always in a daze. She probably constantly ignores him so he doesn't really talk much to her anymore.

Very not Bella, but hey Edward always said she's unpredictable. I instantly saw her hurting herself.

4) When you first saw Jacob through Bella's eyes, what did you think? Did you like him? Did you think he would become as important to her as he did?
Sorry if anyone is pro-jacob, but I was instantly infuriated w/ him. I wanted Edward back!!!! I def. didn't see him being that important.

5) Were you surprised by Bella's complete reluctance to leave Forks or did you suspect it given Edward's minimally lingering presence? Why or why not?
No, I'm not surprised Bella didn't want to leave. I can understand her staying in forks. If she went to FLA it would have been too sunny and w/ her moods she doesn't really seem to like sun.

6) This is the first time we see Billy without Edward around or the threat of Edward looming. Did your impression of him change at all from Twilight? Why or why not?
No, I thought from the get go that he wanted Bella and Jacob together.
Xx~Scarlet_forever~xX

*~* Do you think that I could be scary?*~*
*~* What if I'm not a superhero? What if I'm the bad guy?*~*
*~* As long as I'm going to hell, I migh as well do it thoroughly*~*
*~* You smell so good in the rain*~*
BellsEdwardalways
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by BellsEdwardalways »

Well, I thought that it might have some part to play later in the book. I did not realize it was going to be as important as it was.

I thought that Mike's behavior toward Bella was well, I guess not unexpected since she hadn't exactly been interacting with others. I don't know that I was surprised that he wasn't trying to make the most of working alone with her. I mean after all kind of hard to do that when someone has been emotionally or rather internally dead. He probably would have felt like he was just talking to himself if he had even bothered or at least before this Saturday.

Well, stupid and reckless but um, I got to say she was right it was a stupid thing for Edward to promise her that it would be like he never existed. Silly 108 year old vampire just because you leave doesn't mean she'll forget you. (By the way I was mentally hitting Edward upside the head for leaving throughout the book and yes I made sure I used something other than my hand). I also, wasn't disagreeing of Bella doing the motorcycle stuff. I mean I guess I understand her thing to be stupid and reckless. Okay enough said.

I did like Jacob. I don't think I really thought about how important Jake would or wouldn't become to her. However, I didn't like that he was in love with her too much. I still like Jake it's just that it wasn't a good idea for Jake to love her because I was counting on Edward coming back and that is who Bella belongs with. (I am sorry I keep going on tangents).

Not really surprised at her reluctance. I mean how could she leave the one place she had known Edward even if what was left was a minimally lingering presence. I wasn't surprised because why would she leave Forks especially when I was full on expecting him to return.

Well, I like Billy, I mean I thought he was okay in Twilight but he was nosy sticking his nose where it didn't belong. Okay, so he just cares about Bella but he needed to back off. Anyway, we saw more of Billy in New Moon so I got realize he's a pretty good guy.
http://chelseadawn.webs.com/
Banner by Kimmy. Avatar made by Narnia
Banner by threethings
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Alphie wrote:Questions supplied by Seraphyn -

1) I did not believe it was a bear, but something more ominous. Yes, eventually.

2)I felt he stayed within his boundaries, as he should. No. I believe he saw Bella as someone not to interact with due to her mental state.

3)Understandable. She already felt betrayed, so why should she be the keeper of broken promise, but at the same time, she knew the risks and went against her father's wishes.

4)I thought 'how nice'. His smiling so big would have made my heart swell.b) yes! c) Yes, I did.

5)I was not surprised. She was desperately trying to hold on to her memories and leaving would have taken that from her eventually. She needed that connection - it was all she had left.

6)Billy cared. I understood why he did what he did in Twilight. He likes Bella and Charlie is his best friend, I felt no enmity towards him.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1) This is the first mention we have of the huge black bear wandering around the forest of Forks. What was your first impression of this information? Did you think it would be as important as it turned out to be? I just figured it was because the Cullens were no longer there to hunt them. I had no idea it would come into play later & be important.

2) What did you think of Mike in this chapter and his behavior toward Bella? Were you surprised that he wasn't trying to "make the most" of working alone with her? I was happy that he was trying to be friendly to her she needs all the friends she can get. I wasn't suprised he didn't persue her more she was till in terrible pain & hurt over Edward leaving.

3) What did you think of Bella's motorcycle plan? I was like oh no this can't be good! She'll hurt herself somehow.

4) When you first saw Jacob through Bella's eyes, what did you think? Did you like him? Did you think he would become as important to her as he did? I liked him as a friend & someone she can talk to. No idea he would get a bigger role & improtant.

5) Were you surprised by Bella's complete reluctance to leave Forks or did you suspect it given Edward's minimally lingering presence? Why or why not? I could understand it somewhat. She was so happy and had wonderful memories of her time w/the Cullens and given that I though she might want to leave the place that reminds her of her true love.

6) This is the first time we see Billy without Edward around or the threat of Edward looming. Did your impression of him change at all from Twilight? Why or why not? Didn't really change at all. Liked him just okay
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
futurevampire
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by futurevampire »

I probably wasn't paying attention. I was reading too fast waiting for Edward to come back to correctly process information. I skipped whole paragraphs, I still hurry through the middle of NM. The 5th time through I was still reading things and going 'What the heck?? I do NOT remember that happening!!' :lol:
I thought he had probably tried before, but she was just invisible after being empty for so many months. I was happy, because the last thing Bella needed were some normal guys wanting to date her when she was like that. She didn't even want to before.
Go Bella!! Stupid, dangerous, but she's not going to die NOW, obviously, it'll add more to the plot, and maybe Edward will come back and stop her..!!
I was reading too fast. I just wanted Edward to come back. He was an interesting character, but I was mostly like 'Leave Bella alone. I know you like her. Now don't be falling in love with her or anything. DO NOT DO IT' I never thought he'd become that important.
I wasn't really surprised, I really liked Forks, and I got the feeling that Bella had become kind of attached to it too, plus there was no way she'd leave that behind, it still reminded her of Edward, even if she couldn't think about it.
A little bit, in Twilight I was mostly annoyed at him for getting in their way, I don't like anyone who does that, but when they're not between Edward and Bella, I'm more inclined to like a character. He meant well, and he was much more cheerful with them gone. Grawr.
Edward and Bella Forever!!!<3 :: Lexicalia :: Team Esme!
Mafia: Natalia Gravano/Nat :: I'm on The List!! ~Marisa
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

Didn't think anything of it.
He probably thought he'd stay away because of the way Bella was acting and whatnot. Annoying her would not be the best thing to do right now. And he probably thought that Edward might be around or come back, and he doesn't want to get on his bad side. I dunno
Um, stupid. I knew she'd probably get hurt or die.
I thought he was sweet and friendly. But he got annoying when he got close and stuff. *snarls*
5) Were you surprised by Bella's complete reluctance to leave Forks or did you suspect it given Edward's
minimally lingering presence? Why or why not?
I knew she wouldn't leave. Too many memories to just leave behind.
He just seemed like a good guy that's trying to do the right thing. Still annoyed me that he hated Edward.
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
Bellsuz
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Bellsuz »

I already knew that there were going to be wearwolves (my sister blabbered on about it before I'd started the saga) so it didn't surprise me and I figured that's what it was.

I was surprised to see him just being a friend, you know, not hitting on her. I figured it was due to her "zombieness"

Well, I figured it would be interesting, I'm glad that she did it because I like the interaction with Jacob. I'm starting my second reading and I'm picking up a lot more of how much Bella actually really feels better around Jake and it makes me smile :)

Well the first time I was so distracted thinking about Edward and wondering if he was coming back that I didn't pay much attention to Jake. This time, I'm paying much more attention. Every time he smiles, she smiles, and I smile. I like that he can make her feel happy when nothing has been able to since Edward. I didn't imagine him becoming so important, but I'm happy he did. Everyone needs someone like Jake in their lives, he loves her and is there for her no matter what.

If I was in her shoes I would feel the same way, so I expected it. I couldn't fathom leaving the only place where I had those memories.

No, I knew he was more at ease because he knew Edward was gone, and he was happy Bella was visiting Jake.
Image Credit to emaleth @ Vesperarium :)
Dorito
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Dorito »

First impression was that it was Emmett in animal form and that Bella would eventually come in contact, and find Edward in the end.

Not really. He'd grown to know of her and Edward, but then seeing the strained relationship with Jess, I'd assume it was the same with Mike and the rest from the table.

Stupid. But obviously the motive is to hear Edward.

First saw like in Twilight? No, he was just used as a friend and obviously he wanted more. Though him being the third part of the vampire-human-werewolf triangle is natural.

Not surprised, she wants Edward and that's the place to be to collect the pieces on where he and the Cullens may have gone.

No, he's the same ol' Billy Black.
I'll be your Edward if you'll be my Bellas
aliacullen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by aliacullen »

i did think it would be important or it wouldnt have been written in and i did guess it be a warewolf from the title

i think mike has finally gave up

very dangerous

i did like him its very hard to choose between edaward and jacob. i did think that they would become best friends but nothing more

i was i dont know why she cant atleast try to move on

not realy he just looking out for bella but he seem to be more opening to her now