A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 4 ~ Waking Up

Post by Alphie »

1. Were you at all surprised by the description Bella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four months? How did that make you feel?

2. Did you agree with Charlie that Bella should go and be with her mother again? Why or why not?

3. Bella chose to spend her first attempt at normalcy with Jessica Stanley. Why do you think she chose Jess and not one of her other friends? Do you think Jess was a good choice? How do you think this event impacted their relationship?

4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger?
mzedcullens
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 4 ~ Waking Up

Post by mzedcullens »

1. Were you at all surprised by the description Bella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four months? How did that make you feel? I have to say I was a bit irritated but not surprised. Bella seems to be a bit of a drama queen (my opinion) so I figured she would be dead inside after he left.

2. Did you agree with Charlie that Bella should go and be with her mother again? Why or why not? I agree with Charlie. She needs to stop waiting for him to come back. If Ed wants to contact her, I am sure he would find her anywhere. Although I would probably stay put waiting too.

3. Bella chose to spend her first attempt at normalcy with Jessica Stanley. Why do you think she chose Jess and not one of her other friends? Do you think Jess was a good choice? How do you think this event impacted their relationship? I think she chose Jess because she is a talker and like Bella said to herself in this chapter, she knew that once she got Jess going (talking) she would not have to talk herself. For that reason I think Jess was a good choice. I think it negatively impacted their relationship because I think Jess realized Bella is just selfish.

4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger? I don’t think Edward left at all. I think he stayed back and watches her. I would not be surprised if she decides to put herself in danger to see if he is really gone.
samajama
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by samajama »

mzedcullens wrote: 4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger? I don’t think Edward left at all. I think he stayed back and watches her. I would not be surprised if she decides to put herself in danger to see if he is really gone.
I agree to an extent. I think Bella puts herself in danger to see if Edward would try to rescue her, as usual, BUT I don't think that Edward stayed. I think he did leave and fought the urge to come back as he told her later.
By the way, where did the Cullens go? Does it say? I don't remember..
Team Edward Bringing sexy back since 1901. I'm on the ListV2 Sammy Whammy
Team "Screw you freaks; I want Ben!"...........Randomness Resident
LOVE MY TWINNIES: Mary and Shel <3
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

1. I wasn't surprised, if Edward dumped me, I would feel that way too, maybe even worse. I made me really, tired,or even bored.

2. Yes. Her mother lives in a bright town, so maybe that will "brighten" her day, it would be way better than dark old Forks. Also, Bella has some bad, and good, memories in Forks.

3. Ijust thought she picked the first person she saw. I have never really thought about it, but if I were Jessica, I would be freaked if Zombie Bella wanted to hang out with me.

4. I knew it was in her head. But his voice mostly came up when she was with Jacob, so that may have something to do with it.
la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

1. Were you at all surprised by the description Bella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four months? How did that make you feel?
Not really. I mean, this was real, true love, and not some high school crush. When that ends, it's among the worst feelings in the world. I remember when my first love and I broke up. All I wanted to do was sit around my apartment, moping, and listen to depressing music. And that is all I did, aside from go to work and school, until my friends pulled me out of it, kind of like Jacob did for Bella.

2. Did you agree with Charlie that Bella should go and be with her mother again? Why or why not?
No, and my reasoning was part selfish and part not. LOL. I thought it was a bad idea because Bella always had to be more of a parent with Renee than Charlie, and I didn't think that was a good idea. And I also wanted to have her stay because I assumed that Edward would have come back to Forks if he came to his senses. (I assumed he wouldn't listen to Alice if she was still watching Bella.)

3. Bella chose to spend her first attempt at normalcy with Jessica Stanley. Why do you think she chose Jess and not one of her other friends? Do you think Jess was a good choice? How do you think this event impacted their relationship?
Because Jessica is a twit. There's no depth to her. She's shallow, so Bella wouldn't have to try to extremely hard to make things work.

4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger?
I went back and forth! At first, I thought she might be losing her mind, lol. But I think it was the easiest way to think of Edward (as him chastising her). If she'd have spent all day thinking about him saying he loved her and being all sweet, that would have killed her. I think putting herself in danger was kind of stupid, but it was her try and rebelling.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
softie
Settled in Forks

Post by softie »

I was almost expecting it. In the chapter before, you can really feel how hurt she was, and how emotionless she got after being found by Sam. It was like Edward took her entire heart away and now, she was just "numb" (as she repeats herself). I don't really think she's a drama queen because she doesn't like bringing attention to herself (hence all the put downs she's given around the other boys) unless it's Edwards attention.

I do and don't. Sometimes, it's better to move on and Bella was clearly not trying to move on. But in a way, I'm glad she stayed at Forks and lives day by day. It shows just how patient she's willing to be.

I will also say it's because Jessica is kind of the "loud-mouth" that will usually take up most of the conversation. I'm sure Bella wanted or needed some social interaction, but not with one where she had to make a lot of effort.

At first, I actually did feel like it was Edward's voice and I'm not sure why. I imagined him being far away, but still being able to sense Bella and when she's in trouble. As I kept reading, I started to realize that another option was that she might have been putting his words into her own head.
ImageImage
Currently Reading - New Moon / Chapter 14: Family / Pg. 323
gmreyes2
Settled in Forks

Post by gmreyes2 »

4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger? I don’t think Edward left at all. I think he stayed back and watches her. I would not be surprised if she decides to put herself in danger to see if he is really gone. [/quote]

Well if you go to Setphanie Meyer's website and look under NEW MOON's Extra Link under Rosalie's News (http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/pdf/nm_extras_rosalie.pdf), you will see that Edward really did go away. This means that the voices were ALL in Bella's Head. I guess the only way to know for sure is if Setphanie Meyer continued with the Midnight Sun book/Series.
Stacia
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stacia »

No, I wasn't surprised. I think most people feel like that at one point in their life.

Not necessarily. I think that in Forks, all Bella really has time to do is think about Edward and what she lost - in Forks all she really has is time. But if she would go to visit her mother, the pain would still be there but Bella would have more to do. She'd probably end up watching out for her mom and doing stuff with her mom; she wouldn't as much time to think about Edward.

With Jessica, Bella really doesn't have to put forward much effort. Jessica likes attention, likes to talk without much provocation so Bella doesn't really have to do much. Jessica is a good choice for Bella I think.

I really wanted it to be Edward's voice. But, obviously, Edward doesn't have that particular talent so I realized it was just in Bella's head. I think it was pretty retarded of her to do dangerous things just to hear his voice...but it suits her character though. She'd do anything to stay close to Edward, to bring a part of Edward back to her...
porscheturbo911
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by porscheturbo911 »

After Edward left, I knew that Bella wasn't just going to pick up her life, and go about all happy. I mean, he was her true love, for crying out loud! It made me sad that Edward didn't come back, and Bella had done pretty much nothing in the last four months.

I didn't agree with Charlie because I was waiting for Edward to come back, and there was no way that he would go find her in sunny Florida.

I think she chose Jessica because it doesn't take that much effort to be with her. All you have to do is listen to her talk :P. I think this was the final blow in their relationship. This pretty much ended all the friendliness Jessica had towards Bella.

I reeeaaaalllllly thought it was Edward. Of course, it didn't make sense, seeing as he can't read her mind or get into her head, but I really hoped it was. I thought she was pretty reckless, putting herself in danger just to hear his voice, but to be honest, if I were Bella, I would've probably done the same thing :S.
wildroses
Fishing with Charlie

Post by wildroses »

i was surprised i guess the first time reading it. honestly i really loved it all. it was just so raw and realistic, it made me feel like i was experiencing it all. whenever i read new moon my mood always drops and i sort of get in a somber state, but really new moon is still one of my favorites. its all just so real, her pain...its amazing.

no, i think it was up to bella. she wanted to stay, and i think she should have gotten what she wanted. going to florida probably would have helped her, well maybe, since she could potentially forget about it. but i think that would have hurt her more, forgetting it all...so i think staying in forks was the best thing; for bella anyways.

I think its obvious why she picked jess. Jess is just so unobservant and self absorbed, she wouldnt continuously be asking bella what was wrong or why she was so upset, shed be too caught up in her own buisness to really care about bella being so down and upset. If i were bella i would have chose jess too, for the same reasons. when you're in that much pain talking about what hurting you i.e. edward cullen leaving you behind, your true love abandoning you, only hurts you more. its not something you want to do.

When i first read new moon, i did think it was him talking to her, or at least i really hoped it was. About her putting herself in danger to hear those voices, of course that is not safe, and it was stupid. But i'd have to say if i had been in her position i probably would have done the same thing. it was the closet thing to him she had, why would anyone not take advantage of it? especially if you are in such a rut as bella was when really, what do you have to lose? i'll tell you, not much anymore.
randomness bum<3