A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Chapter 4 ~ Waking Up

Post by BlueStarlight »

. Were you at all surprised by the description Bella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four months? How did that make you feel? You know, if Edward had been human, I would have been surprised by her reaction. But, Edward is immortal, and Bella no doubt feels that she is just going to get older and miss this entire time with the people she loves like family. It made me feel sad for her.

2. Did you agree with Charlie that Bella should go and be with her mother again? Why or why not? What? NO! I thought Bella should stay in Forks; at least she is around people she knows. Moving to Jacksonville with her mom would not have been good; she'd be around tons of people she didn't know, making her depression worse.

3. Bella chose to spend her first attempt at normalcy with Jessica Stanley. Why do you think she chose Jess and not one of her other friends? Do you think Jess was a good choice? How do you think this event impacted their relationship? I don't really like Jessica. I prefer Angela, but, at this time I didn't really give a thought as to why she chose Jess over Angela... later we find out why... and it just never occurred to me.

4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger? You know, this is really the only part of the series that I don't like, and it takes up a good chunk of the book. I DO realize that this time was necessary in the story that Bella and Edward be apart to realize how much they needed each other and how perfect they are together... it just doesn't set well with me. Did she have a death wish, or was she just trying to feel SOMETHING after the long months of numbness? I don't know, but I don't like the idea of anyone purposely putting themselves in danger to hear an imaginary voice. Then again, I've never been hurt emotionally the way Bella had, so it's hard for me to grasp why she's doing it; I just read it and remind myself that it's just a story, and that Bella is desperately trying to cling to some part of Edward.
*TwilightIsMyDrug*
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by *TwilightIsMyDrug* »

1. Were you at all surprised by the description Bella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four months? How did that make you feel?
Not really surprised. It's a very Bella reaction. How could her life be anything but dull after loosing the most magnificent thing in the world, Edward. I think that would make anything in this world dull.

2. Did you agree with Charlie that Bella should go and be with her mother again? Why or why not?
I agreed with what he was saying. I've moved across the country just to get away from a marriage to be that never happened and it worked for me. I got over it and moved on. BUT in Bella's case, I understand why she didn't want to leave. I wouldn't leave either. Why move somewhere Edward could never exist?

3. Bella chose to spend her first attempt at normalcy with Jessica Stanley. Why do you think she chose Jess and not one of her other friends? Do you think Jess was a good choice? How do you think this event impacted their relationship?
I'm not really sure why exactly she chose Jess. I don't think Bella was at all intent on actually having a good time with her at the movie. Maybe Angela would have been a better choice. She would have let Bella relax a little more and maybe been more understanding of her strange behavior. I think this totally ended their relationship. And, how can you blame Jessica for not wanting to be around Bella again? I'd be mad too. But since, I'm all for Bella--I don't blame her for acting that way either.

4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger?
I really wanted something crazy to be happening. I even tried to convince myself that Edward was capable of living in her subconscious and knowing exactly what she was up to. I wanted that to be possible even though I knew that wasn't really the case. I think she would do anything to hang on to some part of him and it didn't seem out of the realm of possibility for her heart ache.
"You don't know how long I've waited for you."
Team Edward
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lag28wa »

1. Were you at all surprised by the description Bella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four months? How did that make you feel?
No, not at all, if I was Bella I would be in total auto-pilot survival mode. My day to day stuff would only be going through the motions for other people's sake because I know I would not want to do any of it. Its almost like a defense mechanism, to prevent the things that still cause her the most pain.

2. Did you agree with Charlie that Bella should go and be with her mother again? Why or why not?
No, mostly because I think it would be hard to see Phil and her mother happy together. And if I was Bella I would not want to leave. Even though it was painful, I would want to maintain my attachment to my past with Edward, its hard to let go of that, the only way to hold on to some piece is to stay in Forks.

3. Bella chose to spend her first attempt at normalcy with Jessica Stanley. Why do you think she chose Jess and not one of her other friends? Do you think Jess was a good choice? How do you think this event impacted their relationship?
I think she chose Jessica because Jessica was her first friend in Forks really, so it was comfortable, and also maybe a little bit because Jessica wasn't in a relationship to be talking about how happy she was. And then the obvious reason that she knew Jessica is a chatterbox and she wanted that to distract her. I was surprised at Jessica's reluctance and sometimes coldness, I know Bella ignored her for months, but I would think she would try to understand things for her friend who was in pain, even though Bella tried to not let people see her pain. After this chapter, I felt like I had originally thought their relationship was deeper, when really it wasn't, at least not anymore.

4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger?
I had no idea, I had to read through it a couple times. Since he is amazing, I kind of thought that somehow it WAS his voice and he could see her and what she was doing. Obviously I think her idea to put herself in danger so she can hear it more often is not a good one, but on the other hand, understandable when you are in such a painfully desperate place as Bella is at this point.
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium
lovinmesomejasper
Settled in Forks

Post by lovinmesomejasper »

I wasn't surprised by her description, when you live for something and then that thing isn't there anymore, it's gotta kill you a little before you pick yourself up

I didn't agree with Charlie, I think Charlie was what Bella needed.

She says herself she chose Jess so she wouldn't have to talk about herself. I think Jess was good for what she needed, but I think it hurt them as friends

i thought it was his voice for a minute, and I respected her decision. You do what you have to do to get what you need
aimee_xbella
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by aimee_xbella »

I was not surprised, though I thought that she could not have gone on with life after Edward. It made me feel sad, whenever she would curl up and feel the pain, I felt like I could too.

I didn't agree with Charlie because that wouldn't have helped Bella. Bella wanted to stay so that she could still remember Edward and it would made her feel really bad and felt like Edward wasn't real.

I thought that it was a totally bad idea because Jessica never really liked her from reading Midnight Sun manuscript. I would have preferred if she spent the time with Angela. It did impact their relationship because Jessica did not like her again after that and I don't think that Jessica ever forgave her.

At first, I really thought it was Edward, I really hoped so; that would have meant that he was still watching over her. I think that if i were that desperate, I would have done the exact same thing.
romanticide
Settled in Forks

Post by romanticide »

I wasn't surprised at all. It actually made me feel a little queasy and tears stung my eyes when I read New Moon, because of how close that hits. I understand the way Bella felt. This wasn't some silly crush, it was actual love. You don't just get over something like that, especially when the person you love tells you that they don't want you anymore and leaves, just like that.

Haha, that would have been interesting to read. Bella was always more of the parental figure in their relationship. How would that have gone if Bella was all depressed and having to watch her mother, in a happy marriage?

Jessica's the kind of person that you don't need to contribute much, when in a conversation with. If Bella wanted to talk, she could start a conversation with Jessica, but if she had nothing else to say or couldn't exactly say what she was thinking or whatever, I don't think Jessica would really mind, if she was on a roll.

That was really just a voice in her head. I didn't think that Edward actually came back when she started hearing his voice. Bella missed him terribly, and her subconscious was trying to make it better, so it brought up Edward's voice, when she was doing something terribly stupid and dangerous. It was also trying to save her, I think.
I don't agree with her putting herself in danger just to hear his voice again, but if I were in her position, I probably would have done the same thing. It would feel like her only link left back to Edward.
"I wanted to be your everything.."

Image ImageImage
Twilove

Post by Twilove »

1. Were you at all surprised by the description Bella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four months? How did that make you feel?A little because i turn the page and all i see is one word she really must have felt completly numb and turning those blank pages really made me depressed and pissed off at Edward for leaving her it almost felt like he left me too lol

2. Did you agree with Charlie that Bella should go and be with her mother again? Why or why not?I wouldent have done her any good anyway she would have been equally depressed even if she was in Florida

3. Bella chose to spend her first attempt at normalcy with Jessica Stanley. Why do you think she chose Jess and not one of her other friends? Do you think Jess was a good choice? How do you think this event impacted their relationship?I was suprised because Angela was always the nicest of her friends and i never liked Jessica anyway and i think that Angela would have understood her strange behavior better

4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger?At first i was all like EDWARDS BACK! but that i realized it was just her head but i think she heard him because when he was with her she never really had to worry about getting hurt because she knew that he would protect her but with him gone shes so used to him saying be careful that it sort of just stayed in her head and she put herself in danger because i think she sort of craved his voice like a drug and by hearing it it was like a moment of happiness that she couldent get from anywere else
KaylaMarieBlack7

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

Yes. It made me feel hopeless. Like nothing was going to be able to make her happy again.

Yes. I thought it was probably the best thing for her. She needed to get on with her life.

She probably chose Jess because she was one of Bellas first girl friend. Im not really sure that Jess was a good choice. I think that it didnt bring their relationship closer. Jess probably thought she was crazy.

I thought it was just in her head. Because there wasnt any way that he would know whats going on. I thought she was stupid for putting herself in danger.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
squeakmouse25
Wandering Through Town

Post by squeakmouse25 »

That was a very 'Bella' way to deal with her pain. It is probably how I would react too. It was really depressing, and I think it made a stronger impact and insight into her pain than if she had been sobbing hysterically for the entire 4 months. A lot of the book is about how she is trying to discipline herself to be numb and not think of Edward, which was a really good emotional insight and internal conflict.

I can see where Charlie would think that getting distance from Forks would help Bella get over her pain, but that would probably not help.

She chose Jessica instead of Angela because Angela is too perceptive and would have seen through Bella's facade. Jessica is kind of an airhead. :lol: This event definitely doomed their friendship, if they had one to begin with. It shows that Jessica was never a true friend

I thought it was really his voice for most of the book. Since Edward is superhuman and he can read minds, I thought it could be possible for him to sense when she was in danger and somehow connect to her. I think putting herself in danger to hear his voice was a pretty natural reaction for Bella, because she had nothing to live for and she would do whatever she could to help the pain.
--Squeakmouse--
LifeOnHold
Settled in Forks

Post by LifeOnHold »

I wasn't really surprised, If I was Bella I would react the same way. It made me a bit irritated that she wasn't making an effort to try and get over Edward.

I can't really agree of disagree, I think he was just trying to what was best like any other parent would do.

I think Bella chose Jessica because Jessica is very chatty so Bella would'nt have to make much of an effort to make conversation. I didn't think Jessica was a good choice, I think Angela would have been the better choice. I'm the night out definitely hurt whatever type of relationship they had before-hand.

I was pretty sure that it was just in her head, but I was kinda hoping that it had something to do with Edward. I don't exactly agree with her putting herself in danger to hear Edward's voice, but I can understand shes trying to feel something other than the numbness thats shes been dealing with for so long.
-Jes
"You Held out your hand, and I took it without making sense of what I was doing. For the tome in almost a century I felt hope." - Eclipse