A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
jacobbellaedward
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 3 ~ The End

Post by jacobbellaedward »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise? I have gone through this with my now husband and so i know what it felt like and reading this brought all those feelings back. It was very painful. I had tear rolling down my face and had to put the book down several times. Stephenie Meyer got it exactly right

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away? Oh Yes. After the shock wears off then your mad and not sure at what. Then you rationalize a lot. But in the end if its meant to be then you will be together. You what do i have to do to make this right.

3. Edwards speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did? I did believe him at first but thought, he is doing this to protect her, why did she not think of that since he has ALWAYS said he would leave it that was best for her because he loved her so much.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence. I thought he was mad at the Cullens and blaming then for putting her into this state of mind. And also angry at Bella for letting them.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages. LIke in question one, you are just numb, i thought this is also very correct on Stephenie Meyer's part. There is nothing without them, you are in shock. Perfect way to present this emotion.
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by funkidiva »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?
By the title of the chapter I knew something horrible and sad was going to happen so I wasnt shocked that Edward was leaving, although I wasnt happy about it! Certainly brought a tear to my eye

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?
Luckily no as im still with the only person I have had a strong relationship with, thankfully. It would be so hard and difficult to go through that though

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?
At the time I thought he was horrible for saying and doing what he did and was hoping he would run back to her, but I now realise Edward did it with her best interests at heart, even if I dont agree with his actions.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.
I didnt feel anything, other than wondered who Sam was. I thought it was going to be Mike or Jacob who found Bella.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages
I thought it was a brilliant and clever way to show how Bella's life just went by in a daze and blur whilst she was heart broken. It was sad to see though at the same time that Edward hadnt come back to her.
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
Brumfondl
Settled in Forks

Post by Brumfondl »

Not sure if this has been covered elsewhyere, but since it happens in Ch3 I thought I would post this question here:

What do you think Edward did with the letter and photos for Renee? Do you think he:
a) posted it as promised?
b) posted it but sans the same three photos he removed from her scrap book?
c) didn't post it at all
d) something I didn't think of :)

Personally, I am torn between b and c. I am pretty sure he guessed what was in the envelope and that was his reason for offering to post it for her but I tend to think he would be more likely to post it without the photos of him so that Bella couldn't just ask Renee for them back. What d'ya reckon?
Brumfondl - not a Team player...

Sarcasm is only the lowest form of wit if you aren't very good at it!
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

Brumfondl wrote:Not sure if this has been covered elsewhyere, but since it happens in Ch3 I thought I would post this question here:

What do you think Edward did with the letter and photos for Renee? Do you think he:
a) posted it as promised?
b) posted it but sans the same three photos he removed from her scrap book?
c) didn't post it at all
d) something I didn't think of :)

Personally, I am torn between b and c. I am pretty sure he guessed what was in the envelope and that was his reason for offering to post it for her but I tend to think he would be more likely to post it without the photos of him so that Bella couldn't just ask Renee for them back. What d'ya reckon?
Great Q :) Obviously Edward knew what the envelope contained. So there was no way he would just post it the way it was, in my opinion. He wanted to leave no memories whatsoever (at least that Bella could ever find). And I don't think he didn't post it at all. It probably contained a letter for Renee as well, and Edward wouldn't have the conscience to not post it. So I go with your option b. He sent the envelope, but removed the pictures of him. Just as a side note; When I found out that he had removed her pictures and her CD I was so heartbroken all over again. I think he should have let her keep them.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
xBellatrixBlackx
Settled in Forks

Post by xBellatrixBlackx »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?

I sort of had an idea something was wrong by the way Edward was acting, i think the whole way through i had a hunch something like this would happen because of the kiss Edward gave Bella in the previous chapter, i didn't think Edward would leave her though, or more accuratley i thought Bella would talk him out of it, i was therefor surprised when she just stood there and watched him walk away.

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?

Yes, i think i have once, but the desire wasn't really as strong as Bella's, i frelt so sorry for her

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?

He was very harsh, erm, i suppose it kind of did grasp reality for me, it shocked me, i couldn't beleive after all they'd been through he was just prepared to give her up, a part of me wanted him to stay with her but another part of me was telling me it wasn't going to happen. It was a truly horrible chapter in sense of emotion, though still...amazingly written, Stephenie Meyers did a great job with that chapter.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.

I was like "Wow, night in shining armour", he was so kind to Bella, a part of me was thinking she'd get with him lol but turned out i was rather wrong.

I suppose i was feeling altogether upset as i realised Edward was very much serious, i was kind of going crazy wondering what Bella must have been going through, i really did feel sympathy towards her.
Becka
Settled in Forks

Post by Becka »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise? Definitely..Edward was totally acting weird and when he said that Alice & Jasper had gone I though uh oh, i thought for sure Alice would have spoken to Bella but she had just left. I thought he was planning to leave but I didn't think he could leave when it came down to it.

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away? Yes...but the love that exists between Edward and Bella is unattainable in reality. The love they have exists only in the early stage of a relationship and then it's gone, it mellows to something too familiar. I think people who have affairs aren't necessarily doing it because they are unhappy with what they have, or want to hurt the person they are with.. they are trying to recreate those first few months when love is at its most intense. It is easy to think a relationship is slipping away when its just changing...the intensity of the relationship Bella & Edward has isn't sustained by us humans!!

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did? It was definitely harsh and he had to keep re-phrasing to make it more cutting...when he said I'll always love you...in a way...that was pretty hard to take. That was like him saying well i'm just kind of over this now.I really felt for Bella too when he said you aren't good for me. I honestly didn't know where SM was taking things from here I was kind of left speechless.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence. I am on my fourth read of the whole series - as soon as I finish I start again so I'm trying to think back impartially....i think that when the snuffling was mentioned I knew it wasn't a vampire but I didn't know what it was....it was interesting that Sam found her and it made you wonder but I don't think at that point i was thinking he was a wolf.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages - This was such a brilliant way to make you realise how deep into depression Bella had sunk - to try and write that down wouldn't have done her pain justice - to just simply let each page go by as one month after another said it all. What more would we have expected - Edward was gone!!
TNO
Wandering Through Town

Post by TNO »

"The End". I went, "oh he's gonna break up with her" the moment I read the chapter heading.
Nope. I figure if I feel like that I'm probably being clingy and it's time to let go or at least take a break. Then again, I don't date so I'm not really one to make judgements about this sort of thing.
I hate when characters do this. It's so annoyingly noble, and noble characters annoy me to no end. Besides, it seemed kind of out of character that Edward- who had been so selfish about Bella in Twilight- would suddenly push her away so violently for "her own good". Plus, it was unnecessarily cruel.
Didn't think it was significant. I was like, oh, yeah, 'kay.
First: what a waste of trees. Second: oh, grow up.
KateEllennn
Settled in Forks

Post by KateEllennn »

------Obviously, I knew something was going to happen, because of the back and everything saying "I was whole again", but I was pretty surprised why he left. I still don't understand why he was perfectly fine with James almost killing her, but not Jasper. It couldn't have been just because Edward couldn't have protected her from his brother, because he did. I thought that once he stopped coming over, it was something serious. He can't stay away from Bella, but he was trying, maybe to test it out.

-------Not really. I don't think she did either; I think she knew he was acting differently, but never would she had seen him leaving her. Not after everything they had. She was still thinking about running away with him when he was getting ready to tell her, so it was just as surprise to her as to everyone.

------Wow, it was like... Hard to read. Since we read everything from Bella's perspective, we only hear what she thinks about everything. And she always thought she was not good enough for Edward, but when I was reading his words, I could see he thought the same about himself- he wasn't good enough for HER. So I saw that he was more hers then she was his, and that made it hard for me to believe him. He only did it for her. He wasn't going to come back. He loved her so much that he'd leave the very core of his existence. I didn't believe him at all when he said he didn't want her. I was mad, but I knew he was just lying to himself.

----------I knew he was going to be a bigger part of the story, because there was no point in having him save her if it wasn't going to be a big part later. But I didn't think like she'd fall for him. She had Jacob.

------------I was pretty sad. Mostly mad, though. How could Edward be such a idiot? It was pretty heart wrenching. To see that he doesn't come back at all for months! It was hard!
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

as soon as edward stoped in the forest, i knew nothing good is going to happen in this chapter.

yes, i do now many friendships are going harshly downhill... :?

i thought that he wouldnt be able to do it, turn around and beg for forgivness, but no. i didnt believe it till i turned the page and the months pages started coming.... so sad!

i knew he would be in the book later on. i didnt like that idea personally....

i was one of the few people who didnt cry during this chapter but as i saw them i felt liek dying. how could he?
Betting on Alice.
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tonya »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise? I knew he was contemplating leaving her I kept yelling at her to talk to him before he has to long to think about it

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away? yes of course.

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did? I did not believe a word he said and was mad at Bella for believing him. I knew he was gone for good once he left but I kept saying come back. When he left it completely destroyed all the moments they shared prior to this for me. Because they both doubted the strength of their love for each other the whole time they were together. For Edward to think that Bella could forget and for Bella to believe Edward didn't love her anymore. It cheapened Twilight for me.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence. I didn't pay much attention the first time I read it but it's clear that we was in his wolf form when he first found her. The first time I just figured he was a friend of Charlies helping to look for her.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages. I was not surprised but I was very sad the Edward hadn't come back