A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
corinnejca
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter One ~ Party

Post by corinnejca »

1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming?

I didn't figure it out until just before Bella figured it out. I just thought it was kind of weird and coincidental that Gran and Bella kept having the exact same reactions. I was very surprised that she was looking in a mirror, and very sad because I feel just as sad as Bella about getting older. At least Bella knows some vampires who she can try to convince to make her a vampire.

2) Do you think that the dream foreshadows anything besides Bella's fear of growing too old for Edward? Why or why not?

Not that I can think of. I think it was just a representation of Bella's fear of growing old enough to be Edward's grandmother.

3) Were you surprised that Edward wasn't with Bella when she woke up? Why did you think he wasn't there?

I was very surprised that Edward wasn't with Bella when she woke up; I remember feeling really disappointed. I wanted to know what Edward was doing! The main reason I got so involved in the Twilight saga was because of Edward!

4) What did you think about Jasper's careful avoidance of Bella before they opened presents? Had you expected them to be closer after the Phoenix trip?

I didn't really expect them to be "closer" because it never seemed like they connected in any way. I just thought he would actually be able to be near her more, like maybe he was a little desensitized to the smell of her blood, but I guess not. I guess he really does have more difficulty sticking to the "vegetarian" diet than the rest of the Cullens.

5) What was your immediate reaction to the paper cut? What did you think about what happened after that?

My immediate reaction to the paper cut was just "oh, okay", I had no idea it would turn into Jasper trying to attack Bella and Edward throwing her into a pile of glass in order to shield her from Jasper. I was very surprised by Jasper's attack and it made me realize just how much trouble he has with sticking to the Cullen diet.

6) What did you think the repercussions of Jasper's accidental attack would be? Did you think, like Bella did, that she simply wouldn't be allowed to spend time at the Cullen's house any more?

Before I saw Edward's reaction the next day, I didn't think there would be any repercussions. I just thought that Jasper would apologize to Bella, and that things would go back to normal. I figured she would just have to be more careful about spilling any blood around the Cullens, especially Jasper.

7) With all the mentions of Bella needing a new car, did you think that Edward had actually bought her one?

I knew he wouldn't buy her one, not without her permission first. She would have pitched a fit if he had bought her a new car. I think Edward knows her pretty well, and is smart enough to know that buying her a new car for her birthday is not a good idea.

8) What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?

I understand why she wanted a celebration-less birthday, but I do think she overreacted a little bit. I know that she didn't want to celebrate her birthday because it meant she was getting older than Edward, which was her worst fear, but I think she needs to learn to be a little more gracious. She needs to learn how to accept gifts from people who love her. Birthdays are more about celebrating the person, not necessarily the actual year. But I do understand that that was what Bella's birthday meant to her.

9) What did you think when Bella said, "Well, maybe Alice will give me what I want?" What did you think about Edward's reaction to that?

I was thinking, "well hey now that's a good idea!" I thought she should totally just go to Alice and get her to turn her into a vampire. I just thought Edward's reaction to that was funny and a little endearing.
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lag28wa »

1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming?
I think I figured it out about halfway through her dream, when she was noticing that "Gran" was doing all the same things she was, then I really realized it when she said "Gran" looked like she had her arm around someone invisible. So by that time I was not surprised about the mirror, but at first, no I didn't expect it.

2) Do you think that the dream foreshadows anything besides Bella's fear of growing too old for Edward? Why or why not?
I didn't think that it foreshadowed anything else, just Bella's extreme discomfort with aging while Edward did not. It also seemed to enhance the desire she has to become a vampire. I guess I didn't read into it too deep. Maybe that was the way it was intended.

3) Were you surprised that Edward wasn't with Bella when she woke up? Why did you think he wasn't there?
At first, yes, I was a little surprised that he wasn't there. Then I figured that he went home to change or something and would be back to pick her up for school. I think I was more surprised when she drove herself to school instead, but the more I thought about it the more it seemed normal that he might not stay every night.

4) What did you think about Jasper's careful avoidance of Bella before they opened presents? Had you expected them to be closer after the Phoenix trip?
I really did expect them to be closer after the Phoenix trip. I thought it was interesting that Jasper went back to being so careful around her. Maybe after the whole James thing he saw how fragile she was as a human and that made him more cautious. Jasper is just such a mystery to me.

5) What was your immediate reaction to the paper cut? What did you think about what happened after that?
My immediate reaction was pretty mild, I just thought it was another really Bella thing to happen. I was surprised about what happened next! I figured Jasper would have a problem with the blood, but I didn't think he would react like that. I also was a little surprised that Edward had to leave with all the blood.

6) What did you think the repercussions of Jasper's accidental attack would be? Did you think, like Bella did, that she simply wouldn't be allowed to spend time at the Cullen's house any more?
I didn't think that she wouldn't be allowed at the Cullen's house anymore. Maybe she wouldn't be able to come around if Jasper was around. But deep down, as much as I didn't want it to, I knew it was going to affect Edward the most and really freak him out. I was so scared for what would happen between Edward and Bella.

7) With all the mentions of Bella needing a new car, did you think that Edward had actually bought her one?
Not really, but I thought he might in the near future

8) What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?
I just thought it was more of Bella's insecurities since she doesn't like attention being drawn to herself at all. I also knew that it had a lot to do with her getting older and Edward not, like she was in denial about being 18, that if people didn't make a big deal out of it, maybe she could ignore it.

9) What did you think when Bella said, "Well, maybe Alice will give me what I want?" What did you think about Edward's reaction to that?
I thought Edward's reaction was appropriate, if I was Edward I would be mad if Alice changed Bella when she knew I didn't want her to. The changing them seems like something the needs to happen exclusively between Edward and Bella, because it has so much to do with their relationship. I took this to be an emotionally driven statement by Bella and hopefully not something she would really try.
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium
_SteF_
Settled in Forks

Post by _SteF_ »

Chapter One ~ Party

Postby Alphie on Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:19 pm

I guess when they were making same facial expressions hinted it out but i didnt know completely till it spelled it out for me lol.

I think that the fact that Edward is so perfect and intimidating that it might always ring on bella that she is just "ordinary" hopefully she will grow out of that and see how her "ordinaryness" makes her special.

No i wasnt surprised. No matter how in love u are there's always time needed to be alone.

I think the closeness will come in time. He still thirsts for her blood but it shows he cares with just being there and protectiong her in Phoenix.

honestly.. i thought she was gonna set the whole fam of vamp's off and be mauled by them but it woulda been a way to easy way to turn her.

I thought he may go away for awhile like they all do when they are over taken by their animal instincts. and that bella would be taken outta the sight of his temptation

No i didn't.
Cool What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?
I could see where she was coming from. But she should have appreciated that the imporatant ppl in her life cared so much to make an effort for her occasion
i think it was just to get a rise outta him. she probably wants him to do it.. it would make their bond even deeper then it already is to the point of being family. the human instincts in edward want to be with her forever as she is i think but his actual beliefs bout the whole soul thing. things will change when she's in danger or dying.
slayerchick303
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by slayerchick303 »

1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming?

I totally saw it coming. In fact, I found it so blatantly obvious that I felt like well duh!

No. I feel like it is just Bella's internal anxieties over the idea that she will grow old, wither, and die while Edward remains the same. I think she feels really concerned that not only will people start to ask her, "Is that your grandson?" but she also fears that Edward will no longer find her attractive if she grows old like that.

I was surprised that Edward wasn't there. It seems like a big coincidence that he wasn't in her room the one time he might have heard her speak about something truly important in her sleep. I just figured Edward was out hunting or getting a change of clothes.

Not really. I think Jasper truly wants to be a good "guy" and therefore doesn't want to expose himself to more temptation than absolutely necessary.

Immediately when Bella got the paper cut I yelled-out, "OH CRAP!" I knew that one of the Cullens (excluding Edward of course) would become violent because of the blood. I thought that it would be Jasper because he's the newest to being a "vegetarian." I knew a fight would ensue, but I didn't think Bella would get to hurt with the glass. I thought that she might be scared, but I did not think she would sustain any sort of injury.

6) What did you think the repercussions of Jasper's accidental attack would be? Did you think, like Bella did, that she simply wouldn't be allowed to spend time at the Cullen's house anymore?

That is exactly what I thought. Either she wouldn't be allowed at the Cullen's home or she wouldn't be allowed around Jasper.

I thought he would, but hadn't yet. I think if Bella's truck had still been working and Edward tried to get her a new car, she would have been a little upset. Edward wouldn't want her to be upset and would at least temporarily respect her desire to keep her truck.

I think she was overreacting a little bit. I can see how she would be dreading her birthday though. If I'd just had a dream about me being this old, wrinkled woman while my boyfriend remained 17 forever, I would definitely cringe at every second I was aging. However, I think she should have been a little more "open" to the idea of a birthday party when she found out how excited the Cullens were for her birthday.

9) What did you think when Bella said, "Well, maybe Alice will give me what I want?" What did you think about Edward's reaction to that?

If I was Edward, I would be horrified at her statement. Edward claims to believe that your soul vanishes the moment you're turned into a vampire, he would truly be distraught at the idea of Bella becoming one. The fact that Bella is actively pursuing her goal of becoming a vampire is even more repugnant to Edward. On top of that, Edward and Alice are so close that he is appaled at the idea that Alice would "betray" him like that when she knows how strongly opposed Edward it to Bella becoming a vampire.
MANDI
Team Edward Forever!
ImageImage
E<3B
BreathelessVampire
Fishing with Charlie

Post by BreathelessVampire »

5, 6. Basically, the part almost gave me a heart attack! I can't blame Jasper, he can't control himself.
Team Edward. Team Jasper. Team Alice. Team Emmett
Because they are just plain sexy.

Trainee at Emmett's Demolition Crew

Member of Donating Blood To Jasper&Co.
bella_love3
Learning to Love Green

Post by bella_love3 »

I found out it was Gran when Bella realized. I didn't see it coming sometimes I'm a very not perceptive reader.
Well It does foreshadow Edward leaving because although she is looking in the mirror Edward's reflection does not show up besides her. It foreshadows her being old and alone.
I was really surprised that he wasn't there becuase he is always there and then he leaves after she wakes up. I thought maybe he was getting changed or hunting.
I expected them to be closer after Phoenix becuase Alice, Jasper, and Bella has seemed to really bond during their brief stay in the hotel room. But I thought that because it was a life and death situation that he delt with Bella's scent.
Once again I totally missed out on the significance of blood in the Cullen household. I realized the consequences once Jasper had already launched himself at Bella and Edward was guarding her. I really loved the talk Carlisle and Bella had while the rest of the vampires had to leave the house to rid of the scent,
After the accident Edward's personality really scared me and I wanted nothing more than the old Edward to come back. Once his mood swing did not change I was scared and I wasn't sure the effects it would have on visiting the Cullen's.
I knew that Edward would never actually get her a present until she consented to it.
Cool What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?
I thought it was a little dramatic but I kind of saw her reasons for it. My birthday is on Sunday and I found myself saying no I can't get older buit than I realized that it was just the book and getitng older is fine.
I thought that Alice would actually give her it becuase afterall Alice and Bella are bestfriends. I thought Edward's reaction wasn't as bad as Bella thought it was. I knew that he wanted to spend the rest of her life with her but that he didn't want her to give up her human experiences.
Twilove
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Twilove »

1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming?I didnt see that coming at all i thought the dream had something to do about how shes gonna miss her family when she got turned

2) Do you think that the dream foreshadows anything besides Bella's fear of growing too old for Edward? Why or why not?umm idk but i definetly understood her fear i mean anybody would be afraid of growing old when your Vampire boyfriend stays forever at 17

4) What did you think about Jasper's careful avoidance of Bella before they opened presents? Had you expected them to be closer after the Phoenix trip?It's hard for Jasper to be around her still so i wasnt suprised

Oh my god i knew that everything was gonna be insane after she got the cut and i knew it was only a matter of time anyway with how clumsy Bella is she was bound to break skin eventually

6) What did you think the repercussions of Jasper's accidental attack would be? Did you think, like Bella did, that she simply wouldn't be allowed to spend time at the Cullen's house any more?I thought that after a while to let the dust settle things would go back to normal and Jasper would apologize to her a million times

not at that time no he was just respecting her wishes she really did love that truck even thought i have no idea why

She was wayy too whiny i mean your rich beyond belief boyfriend wants to give you a present for your 18th birthday you say yes! and at least Alice didnt invite the whole town to the party it could have been worse

9) What did you think when Bella said, "Well, maybe Alice will give me what I want?" What did you think about Edward's reaction to that?She definetly crossed a line there I would not have said that and Edwars reacted accordingly to that i would have been pissed too
KaylaMarieBlack7

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

I didnt really notice until Bella did. I was kind of suprised.

No. I was just thinking that it was her worrying about getting too old for Edward. I didnt see how it could relate to anything else.

Yes. Because he was usually always with her. I thought that he probably just went home and didnt expect her to wake up.

I didnt think that they would be closer after the trip to Phoenix. This is still very new and hard for him.

I was thinking..crap thats not good at all. What happend afterwards is what I was thinking would happen. I didnt know who would try to attack her..but i knew something was going to happen.

Yeah. I thought that she shouldnt go over there or spend as much time over there.

No. I just think that he was stating a fact.

I thought she was overreacting.

He didnt say that it would never happen. Just that this wasnt going to be her last birthday. He wasnt like calm about it..he just stopped the conversation.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
LifeOnHold
Settled in Forks

Post by LifeOnHold »

I realized Gran was Bella when everything Bella did "Gran" mimicked everything that Bella was doing.

I thought it could maybe be foreshadowing one of the possibilities of Bella and Edwards future.

I didn't think too much of it. I mean he doesn't exactly have to spend EVERY night with her right?

No I didn't expect them to be closer after being in phoenix, I just thought Jasper was there for the sake of Alice and Edward.

I knew someone would have lost control and the Cullens would stop them before they could get to her, but I didn't think they would throw her into a table in the process of protecting her.

I figured that she would have to distant herself from the rest of the Cullens for awhile.

Yea.

I think she was overreacting a bit, but I can understand why she didn't want to celebrate the day she becomes older then Edward.

I'm sure Edward was probably frustrated at Bella because she kinda keeps nagging about it.
-Jes
"You Held out your hand, and I took it without making sense of what I was doing. For the tome in almost a century I felt hope." - Eclipse
StarEmerson

Post by StarEmerson »

I thought it would be her straight away actually, think they have done things like that on Buffy? T.V shows ? before!

Kind of, it must have been an awful thing to think about. But also, the thought of her dying. I don't think she is afraid of dying, just not being there with him. Well we know that she says it all the time! Ha!

I dont think he spent every single noght with her at first? I have not really thought about that to be honest!

I didnt expect them to be closer, I think they were. It is just the way Jasper is.

I didnt think it would happen like that, it was so dramatic! Good old Edward overreacting!

Yes I thought they would get on with transforming her. It took so long!

Ha! I never thought that, she didnt like getting presents, I never imagined he would buy her something like that!

YES! I think it was disrespectful. I dont get it to be honest why she is so against it? I love presents, partys attentio though! Haha!

I hated it. I always agreed with Bella and not Edward about being turned.
"Magic Keeps Us Alive"