Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 25 - Mirror

Post by Alphie »

Thanks to Ilovetwilight for her help!

1.  How did you feel about Jacob's injury and Bella's reaction to it?

2.  Did you suspect that the Volturi’s late arrival to the fight was planned? Why?

3.  What did Jane mean when she told Edward “Quite a pity how things turned out, isn’t it?” P 577
4.  Before you read Breaking Dawn, how did you think Bella would compare to Bree as a newborn?  Did you think she would have better control over her bloodlust or that she would be as wild as Bree was in the clearing?
bellaaa
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter 25 - Mirror

Post by bellaaa »

I'm re-reading this chapter right now, actually...

1. How did you feel about Jacob's injury and Bella's reaction to it?
I love Jacob, so I was naturally upset. Also, first time I read it, I misinterpreted it. The way Jacob finally got the kiss he was longing for, and the confirmation that Bella really did love him, and then he rushes off into the forest to fight... and then Bella's reaction... well, I thought he was gonna die! So I was terribly sad. To be clear, though, I was still furious with Bella for kissing him in the first place. Jacob's awesome.. in a kid brother kinda way. But hellooo?! Edward, dude. How could you even comprehend that other men exist?? *siighh*

2. Did you suspect that the Volturi’s late arrival to the fight was planned? Why?
I don't know if I necessarily thought it was planned.. more like an "oh, great, nowww you show up. thankss!"... but then it only made sense that they'd leave others to do the dirty work if they could... and maybe even see the Cullen's numbers dwindle down a bit, 'kill 2 birds' sorta thing.

3. What did Jane mean when she told Edward “Quite a pity how things turned out, isn’t it?” P 577
Way I see it, that just confirms my theory. With Edward, the other person is usually saying more to him than what actually escapes their lips. Is she just being sarcastic? Because, clearly, things did work out in the favor of the Volturi. But no wolves were harmed, save Jacob, Bella's fine, the Cullens are as strong as ever... Jane's sadistic nature tells me thats not exactly what she was counting on. The next line says "Edward nodded once to himself, his suspicions confirmed.", then showing Jane with a "bored" expression... I believe he sees the same thing.

4. Before you read Breaking Dawn, how did you think Bella would compare to Bree as a newborn? Did you think she would have better control over her bloodlust or that she would be as wild as Bree was in the clearing?
I think I always knew she wouldn't be quite the same. Bella's just too headstrong, practical, in control of her mind. I also think the Cullen family sees this too, but they can't be sure just how much control she will or will not have, and so they're still nervous. But once she begins to really stare at the newborn, wondering about her own disposition after the change.... I thought this was another clue that Bella would change her mind. After Rosalie's story and Bella's reaction, all the clues after that seemed to be pointing to a change. Edward seemed more comfortable with the idea, but I thought Bella was edging farther and farther away from it, and I half-expected her to completely change her mind.
look after my heart... i've left it with you
Twilightlover101
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Twilightlover101 »

I was shocked at jacob's injury and appalled at Bella's reaction.

2. Did you suspect that the Volturi’s late arrival to the fight was planned? Why?
Nope, I wasn't really paying any attention to the volturi at this point.

3. What did Jane mean when she told Edward “Quite a pity how things turned out, isn’t it?” P 577
Way I see it, that just confirms my theory. With Edward, the other person is usually saying more to him than what actually escapes their lips. Is she just being sarcastic? Because, clearly, things did work out in the favor of the Volturi. But no wolves were harmed, save Jacob, Bella's fine, the Cullens are as strong as ever... Jane's sadistic nature tells me thats not exactly what she was counting on. The next line says "Edward nodded once to himself, his suspicions confirmed.", then showing Jane with a "bored" expression... I believe he sees the same thing.
Yeah it's quite annoying isn't it when you're not getting the full conversation cause the characters are too lazy to speak.

4. Before you read Breaking Dawn, how did you think Bella would compare to Bree as a newborn? Did you think she would have better control over her bloodlust or that she would be as wild as Bree was in the clearing?
I thought she would be a bit better but along the same lines.
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

Can you blame either of them? Love Jacob for being so protective and Bella for worring!

Nope... I didn't even know it was... was it really... I missed that twice??? I guess that gives me a great excuse to read it again.

I have to be honest... I remember this but I can't bring it up without the book for reference (damn, I could have used a photographic memory) all my books are loaned out.

I remember my first impression clearly. I've been desperate for Bella to become a vampire since the first book. I also expected her to just make a smooth transition. I never imagined her wild. Bella's personality isn't wild.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
amulaya
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by amulaya »

I thought Jacob was hurt worse than was said. At first, anyway. Bella loves her friend.

Of course.

Wasn't quite sure...

I honestly thought she would have more self control.
"So, who's gonna catch me a grizzly bear?" - Bella
rain.on.me
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by rain.on.me »

Hm...Well, at first, I actually thought that Jake had died...which wouldn't be all that bad. Bella was wayyy overreacting. It was almost to the point of riduculousness. (is that a word? *shrugs*

No, I didn't suspect it. I wasn't really thinking about the Volturi much during the fight.

She meant that she wouldn't be so sad if one of the Cullens had died in the fight against Victoria's army.

I didn't really think about that much. I did think it was cute when Bella was like "Shouldn't we move away from her?" (i think i got that quote right...I dont know, just going off of memory here) But Edward said no, that the Volturi were coming. I dunno, I just thought that was cute.
kaitlyncullen
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by kaitlyncullen »

i thought he was dead at first which scared the crap out of me. bella's reaction showed how much she cared.

yes, i think they were late because they wanted to see how well they could handle the newborns and also because most of the volturi are not very fond of the cullens and they wouldn't mind if one or two of them got killed.

i think she was disappointed that victoria's plan to kill bella didn't work out, she never liked bella and was always frustrated because her power never worked on her.

i never actually thought about how bella would really be after she turned into a vampire at this point, i just wanted her to get there in the first place. but i guess with all the talk about certain vampire's having special abilities and how bella's mind is blocked from other vampire's who have the ability to read her thoughts or to make her feel intense amounts of pain. i guess those were pretty big red flags. lol.
Private Kaitlyn Cullen of Jasper's Army.
"Forged in war, born of death, saved by love." - Jackson Rathbone. <3
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

1. How did you feel about Jacob's injury and Bella's reaction to it? I remember thinking "is Jake dead?" I was glad he wasn't, but just crying at that point that he had been seriously injured. Bella had a justified reaction; it showed how much she loved him.

2. Did you suspect that the Volturi’s late arrival to the fight was planned? Why? I don't remember what I thought the first time I read this. Seriously, it was planned? Did SM say this somewhere and I missed it?

3. What did Jane mean when she told Edward “Quite a pity how things turned out, isn’t it?” P 577 I thought what Edward thought... that they didn't really care if the Cullens lost a family member.

4. Before you read Breaking Dawn, how did you think Bella would compare to Bree as a newborn? Did you think she would have better control over her bloodlust or that she would be as wild as Bree was in the clearing? Hmm, I thought she would have some trouble with the bloodlust, but hoped that she could control it. After reading everything in this book, I was prepared for Bella to have some difficulty as a newborn.
Cymbrelynn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Cymbrelynn »

One of the things I like best about the Twilight saga is how much I am really able to feel the emotions that Bella feels so on the purely "this allowed me to vicariously feel this emotion" I liked it a lot. I think her reaction was entirely appropriate. Bella had just been through a lot of tension, fear and hurt. Just because she chooses Edward doesn't mean she loves Jacob any less in the way that she loves him. To lose him, especially after what happened with the kiss, would be devastating.

Yes, I think so. The Volturi are threatened by the size of the Cullens and so would not have minded if any of them had gotten picked off.

I took it as her being very sarcastic about the death of the newborns. She also was probably making a dig at the fact that no Cullens were harmed either.

I think I thought that she would be just as wild since we'd had no evidence to the contrary that a newborn could be contained. On the other hand I might have had a suspicion she wouldn't be so wild since it probably wouldn't make for great narrating or continuation of the story line.
"Your hold is permanent and unbreakable. Never doubt that." EC
My avatar is from emaleth@vesperarium!
mistytwilight85
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by mistytwilight85 »

I was worried about him. Bella's reaction was right on. Someone she loves dearly had been badly injured, and she has just gone through this huge battle with vampires trying to kill her. Who wouldn't react like that?

Yea, I have a feeling aro and marcus and caius didn't care if the cullen clan had been taken out or not. Their coven is growing and they feel threatened by them because they think they will want power later on. They want to keep their powerful position in the vampire world.

I think she wasn't pleased that no Cullens got hurt, and nothing happened to Bella. She would have liked to see stuff like that happen. She doesn't like Bella either because her power doesn't work on her.

I had a feeling she would be more tame, I mean she has the Cullens there to teach her and restrain her so I didn't think it woul dbe to bad for her. I figured she would be VERY thirsty, but that the Cullens wouldn't let her get carried away and let her hurt anyone.