Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
revrag
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter 22 ~ Fire and Ice

Post by revrag »

1. What do you think about the honesty the boys show each other?
I think because they are being so in-your-face honest about their feelings for Bella, they have a better understanding of each other. They can empathize now and later in the series and it helps evolve the story beautifully.

2. Are you surprised to see Edward admitting his jealousy and showing less patience?
You know, I was actually a little surprised. I think it unfolded only because both boys thought that Bella was asleep. I don't think that Edward would ever admit to something so beneath him about a werewolf...it was one thing for him to say he was jealous of Mike..way back when...but a wholly other to say he was jealous of Jacob.

3. How did you feel about Edward's four options regarding Bella?
I think that he chose the right one. Definitely, and obviously in the long run that choice made Bella happier as well...maybe sometimes it is good to be selfish.

4. What surprised you most about the conversation they had?
I was surprised at how very comical I found the whole thing. I was giggling and antsy the whole time. I've read it several times since and I darn near have the same reaction as that very first time. It made both Edward and Jacob even more endearing to me. Although it made appreciate Jacob a little more, I am still so pro-Edward. There's nothing that can compare to a first love.
Elisabeth33
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Elisabeth33 »

I thought this was really cool. It was like Midnight Sun, in that Edward is letting us into his head.

2. Are you surprised to see Edward admitting his jealousy and showing less patience?
Yes, he's so always in control.

Changing her into a vampire was always his best option. She'd never feel that way about him, enough to leave him. New Moon hurts so much to read, because of the third option. I want to be together forever, not just her human life, so no number two either.

That Bella thought that she dreamt the entire thing. :roll:
RussetRose♥
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by RussetRose♥ »

I think that it was about time that they got along and actually try to get along for Bella.

Yeah, I would think that he of all people who be able to keep it in. But, I guess that I'm also not surprised. Bella does show real feelings for Jacob even if she doesn't know it...yet.

I like option one. I'm with Jacob on this one.

The fact that they actually got along. And also how they could almost relate to eachother, it really shocked me. But, I guess that they had to get along sooner or later.

"Did you know, you're sort of beautiful?"
"You hit your head pretty hard, didn't you?"
zoelynn602
Wandering Through Town

Post by zoelynn602 »

It was really necessary, and really nice to know the thoughts they had about each other and Bella.

A little bit

It was predictible of Edward to think through all the options, but the option of changing Bella was always the best bet for her, the way to keep her the safest and the happiest.

Just the fact that they were able to be so honest with each other.
I cannot live in a world where you don't exist...
michelle72
Settled in Forks

Post by michelle72 »

1. What do you think about the honesty the boys show each other? I love it!!!

2. Are you surprised to see Edward admitting his jealousy and showing less patience? I am glad that he did

3. How did you feel about Edward's four options regarding Bella? I was shocked there was 4 options and I am glad he chose the one he did

4. What surprised you most about the conversation they had? I found it emotional and funny

This is my all time favorite chapter :D
ment2be134
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by ment2be134 »

I loved that they were being honest. It gives me real respect for both Jacob and Edward

In a way yes because you see him as a person who is so in control of himself and checks him self constantly, but there is also a sense (for me) of him being so not perfect and 100% "human", which i think makes him more appealing, hehe, and some times i think he doesn't always let Bella know exactly how nervous he is about her getting hurt and i think most of that is because when he is with her he's simply happy... so i think it may be easier for him to admit to Jacob for some odd reason, a comradeship that is hidden.

That is so like Edward to have the options in front of him to know what options there are and then choose one that works FOR Bella.

Just that they had it. It put Edward higher on my scale because he was so willing to share what i imagine to be a hard thing to share at all with the guy that is trying to steal his Love away. Jacob wouldn't be willing to share that with a vampire... willingly(in my opinion).... This is defenetly one of my favorite chapters in the book.
"Sleep, my Bella. Dream happy dreams. You are the only one who has ever touched my heart. It will always be yours. Sleep, my only love."
~ Edward Cullen

"she's diabolical" ~Emmet Cullen
Mara Jade Cullen
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Mara Jade Cullen »

-I loved seeing Edward open up for a change. He usually is so guarded. Its not like Jacob had much choice in being candid since Edward could hear his thoughts anyways. But for Edward to open up and let his vulnerabilities show was interesting.
I would like to have a Midnight Sun-like view into his head still for this chapter. To see how much he still held back.

-I was surprised to see him admit to his jealousy and not just write it off as concern for Bella’s welfare like he had earlier in the book. But he probably decided to be candid (1) because he felt obligated to Jacob for warming Bella and (2) Jacob knew he had to be jealous anyways. So there was no point in pretending otherwise.

-Edward is very analytical. And they seem like the only logical options available.
I like how he goes through each with Jacob so that he can see how Edward came to his current path. I’m sure that Jacob assumed that making Bella immortal was the only option that Edward had seriously considered. This explanation shows instead how Edward had tried everything short of taking her life that he could contemplate, even if it caused him personal pain.
I sometimes feel a bit irritated with Edward for being so paternalistic with Bella. That he makes these decisions for what is best without taking her will into consideration. But, on the other hand, he has observed almost a century of human nature and behaviour. He knows what the typical patterns are. And, in the end, he was right to some extent. She did want the human experience of having children—only she didn’t know that she wanted that. So he was probably right to slow her decision after all.
Now Jacob, on the other hand, doesn’t show the same level of maturity. Granted, he’s only mentally 16. But rather than think about what Edward said or what he witnessed about Bella’s desolation during Edward’s absence, he only considers option one. He knew that she’d never be the completely whole, but could heal to some extent if Edward was out of the picture and find some happiness with him. He didn’t want what was best for her, just for him.

Again, how candid they were, especially Edward.
Also how well they seemed to get along despite the occasional verbal jabs.
Team Edward
footloose
Learning to Love Green

Post by footloose »

It surprises me and relieves me at the same time because it enables them to understand each other's position better. I love it when Jacob finally understands the depth of Edward's love for Bella and why he had to leave her.

A bit, but he can only have so much patience. Jacob can be really annoying LOL.

Okay, I may be the odd one out in this regard, but when Jacob said that option 1 could work if he and Bella had been given just 1 year to be together, I think he had a point. Bella already wavered anyway before she learned about Edward's suicide plan, and it was not like she wouldn't be happy with Jacob. Not that I want the story to end that way though...mainly because I hate to see Edward being miserable for the next hundred years, haha! OK feel free to throw tomatoes now.
(p.s: I don't know if Jacob is 100% selfish when he says he likes option 1. Maybe he is at some point, but he also thinks about Bella and the live she could have if she marries him instead of Edward).

Their honesty and their willingness to show some understanding for the other party.
LittleMs.Hale11796
Settled in Forks

Post by LittleMs.Hale11796 »

I am actually very happy they did this. I love the way they tell eachother that they are both jelous. Like Jacob said, it was really good that i finally got a piece Edwards mind and to see his love in full form. I LOVE this Chapter! Fave out of all the books!

No, i was not. He said he'd tell Jacob everything he asked and he did. But i was surprised that Jacob was all pompus, saying things like, I knew it!

I really admire that he tought out her safety, but I hate them. Cant he see Bella is in love with him, maybe almost to the degree of him? I really dont like his choices.

Hmm, That Bella though it was a dream. :D

***TEAM JALICE***
~LittleMsHale11796~
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

-Oh I loved it! It was so good to hear what they thought and how they felt; guards down. It was prettty coool.

-Nope, I knew it was in him somewhere and it was gonna come out sometime haha.

-Eck, I hated them all. It was sooooo sweet he cares for her saftey, but seriously? Just being with her until shes old and dies and then going to kill himself? That's not a very good plan... I LOOOOVE the turning Bella into a vampire plan (:

-Probably that they were just able to talk like they were and be honest with each other. I never thought that would ever happen.
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight