Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 20 ~ Compromise

Post by Alphie »

Thanks to Be My Escape for her help on this chapter.

1. Can you see why Bella is afraid to marry Edward? Is it something that would affect your decision to get married at a young age?

2. The intimacy level between Edward and Bella really jumps up a notch here. How did you feel about that? How do you feel about their decision to try to make love while Bella was still human?

3. Again the question arises about Edward having a soul. What do you think about this subject? Do vampires have souls?
AgentCross
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 20 ~ Compromise

Post by AgentCross »

1. Bella, has been told by her mother from a young age that marriage is something to be avoided until at least 30. Bella also cares about the thoughts of others, so she very rightly thought people would assume she was pregnant. However, In the end she realized that those were trivial concerns and that she wasn't making her mother's mistakes. Bella does believe that Edward has a soul and she did want him and her to belong to each other and no one else. She wanted to do it right, and in the end it was one of the best gifts...aside from herself and Renesmee that she has ever given Edward. As for the second part of the question, If I found a Love like Edward and Bella's... I'd get married in a nanosecond.

2.I thought it was a brave but right thing to do and obviously it had an even better after effect. Besides, Bella had no way to know that the extreme preparation she had before turning into a Vampire would give her the amount of self control she had. It would of been a real possibility that they wouldn't of been able to consummate the wedding for a year.... so I can see why she wanted to do that as a human when she wanted him physically more then she would blood.

3. On the subject's of Souls... if you can prove to me that you do have a soul.. I'll believe Edward does or doesn't have one. For now I'm going on the assumption that we all do... until you do something to lose it....that doesn't count getting turned into a Vampire to save your life.
"A Proud Twilight Guy"
Sarah-Lynn

Post by Sarah-Lynn »

1. Can you see why Bella is afraid to marry Edward? Is it something that would affect your decision to get married at a young age?Yes. She has been told all her life that you don't get married out of highschool and all that. Her mother didn't want her to repeat the same mistakes that she made. Young and impetuous usually go hand-in-hand. Bella is a strong-minded woman, though; she has always been the more emotionally mature one between herself and her mother. I got married my senior year in college at the age of 23... I was done with one phase of my life and moving into the next. I shudder to think where I'd be now, if I had ended up with one of the guys I liked in high school... definitely not getting ready to celebrate my 10th anniversary!!

2. The intimacy level between Edward and Bella really jumps up a notch here. How did you feel about that? How do you feel about their decision to try to make love while Bella was still human? Ahh... I was happy to read it; it's only a natural progression to get physically closer as you grow emotionally closer. In Twilight, Edward told Bella that he didn't know how to be physically close to her; it was something he hadn't experienced as a human or a vampire... not sex, but just the simple things like kissing and holding her close. Goodness, if just smelling her drove him crazy, imagine how difficult holding her must have been in the beginning! Obviously, Edward learned to control his, uh, needs and urges... As for the second... well, I think it's good that they did... for the sheer fact that Steph didn't get too explicit with it... it gave us something to compare their first time after her transformation to... I love it when Bella told him, "you've been holding out on me."

3. Again the question arises about Edward having a soul. What do you think about this subject? Do vampires have souls? I'm not sure about this topic.... I've only seen "Bram Stoker's Dracula," and the entire Buffy and Angel series. I haven't read any of Rice's books or any other vampire books for that matter. I come from a very religious background. I DO appreciate the fact that Steph put in Edward's dialogue on page 453, "there's a world full of dissension about this, but the vast majority seem to think that there are some rules that have to be followed." I think it's a subtle way of saying that there's more than one way of thinking out there. Compared to the Angel series, where Angel was the vampire with a soul... he was "cursed" with his soul, and that was his eternal damnation, being something different than what he physically was... he had to "pay the price for taking human lives" by being a "good vampire who doesn't feed on humans, but helps them." I was rather glad that the Cullen clan were "vegetarians," too, but lived in a normal setting and weren't battling demons all the time. I'm glad I don't have to worry about mythical beings... I just enjoy reading the books!
deven
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by deven »

1. Can you see why Bella is afraid to marry Edward? Is it something that would affect your decision to get married at a young age?
i think that if it were any other teenage couple i could see Bella's side, but seeing as it is her and Edward i think its different. there relationship is like the definition of true love.

2. The intimacy level between Edward and Bella really jumps up a notch here. How did you feel about that? How do you feel about their decision to try to make love while Bella was still human?
i love that Edward and Bella are able to move forward in the physical department! lol. i know how it all worked out since breaking dawn has been released, but i always thought it woud be ok. i thought they would be able to be intimate with out him hurting her. since protecting Bella is always on the forefront of Edward's mind. so i didnt think it would really be a problem her being human.

3. Again the question arises about Edward having a soul. What do you think about this subject? Do vampires have souls?
i have always believed Edward has a soul. i think that the soul and the mind are somehow connected. and tat those bth leave the body when you die. and Edward is only kinda dead. yeah his heart doesnt beat but he still moves about...lol
.I<3BDB.I<3Oli sykes!+Randomness Regular+Concert Addict
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

1. Well, one reason is because they, or Bella, is very young. Otherwise, they are perfect for each other.

2. I think Bella just wanted to go further, because it may be there only chance as her being human.

3. They may be vampires, but they technically still are people. So yes, I think they do, just a very old soul.
NiCoLeeLoCin
Wandering Through Town

Post by NiCoLeeLoCin »

I don't think she's afraid of marrying him but that she's scared what her parents will say, especially Reneé. And she is still very young.

I agree with Bella though I understand Edward. Bella says that he may not be able to hurt her because he loves her too much and I agree with that. But I understand Edward because he's so afraid of hurting her, I mean he's over the hundered years and still a virgin, another year waiting shouldn't be such a problem :lol:

I do think that they have souls, I don't believe you can live without one. I think they are allowed to kill humans because it's their nature. It's like we humans kill animals.
amy1675
Settled in Forks

Post by amy1675 »

I believe most of Bella's fear comes from thinking about what her mother will think, and she thinks of their relationship as so much more than husband and wife, that marriage sounds maybe like an understatement.

As far as making love goes, I can see both sides of the story, although I agree with Bella that Edward would never hurt her. I should probably say could never hurt her.

And finally, Edward has more of a sole than any of us mortals. Bella already knows this, hopefully someday Edward will realize this as well.

Amy
Lynzeee
Decorating with Esme

Post by Lynzeee »

Well i got married when i was 19, and I was thinking the whole time it was happening was what my parents would/were think, what my friends would think, i can relate, but i found my "edward" when i was 15, I think it was a natural step for a couple such as Bella and Edward .. but i can see why she would be afraid she has always been afraid of the things that aren't scary and completely ok with things she should be running from =P

I didnt realize Non-sex could be so hot! i was thrilled.. you could really feel the tension between them.. it was awesome, I think there decision to not only wait until they were married but do it while she was still human was a good one, one of those Human Experiences that she shouldn't miss out on

of course he has a soul, if he didnt he wouldn't be able to Love Bella the way that he does he wouldn't care much about his family or other humans for that matter.. he defiantly has a soul
Keeper of The Randomness
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"-Acheron Parthenopaeus
thecrimsonrose
Settled in Forks

Post by thecrimsonrose »

1)i think she was right to be nervous abouut getting married as she was still very young and although she knew that she was going to become immortal and marraige to edward ws kinda inevitable, she had grown being told by her parents that marraige was not somethinng to be forced or to go throug with if you have cold feet.no pun intendede toward any vampires

2)i think its good that they did move into the more physical things because she didn't know if she would be able to do that til at least a year into her being a vampire, which didn't happen but still. also edward wanted her to experience human emotions before she was changed and she came out with this one. i think it must have been very hard for edward to agree as he must of known that there would a high posibility that he would hurt her

3)i think that edward has a soul as much as anyone else. i don't think he would be able to love bella like he does if he didn't. i think the same of all other vampires, would they be able to have a soul mate if they didn't have a soul?
Didn't Edward tell you how many houses me and Rose wrecked?-Emmett, Breaking Dawn
Kohtakumi
Settled in Forks

Post by Kohtakumi »

1) I understand being afraid to get married at such a young age. If it weren't Edward and this wasn't so fiction I'd say that it was stupid. As a friend I'd be un-understanding and say 'yur throwing your life in the crapper? Can I have some?' but unless she went out with Jake, it was NOT going to get any better for her. I thought it was silly-- you'll let your 'humanity' go but not your hand in marriage? Unfair. I'd want to have an education so that I wasn't up crap creek if he left me, that'd stop me.

2) It's cool. The up in intimacy made the book even better and now eclipse stands as my most abused copy in the saga (even with the hardcover! I'm an abusive reader...) Their choice made me happy even when my own childish feelings ('eww, she's a sex monger', 'what's so great about making love all the time?') made me feel differently sometimes.

3) What is a soul? Soul or not, Edward is sweeter than any guy with a supposed soul. Also why does it matter if the people around him love him. If being a vampire means your supposed soul is lost it hasn't changed Edward for the worst. Even if he does like blood, no harm, no foul.