Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 19 ~ Selfish

Post by Alphie »

Many thanks to December for her help with this chapter!

1. Is it selfish of Bella to ask Edward to sit out the battle, knowing that it will increase the danger to the rest of his family?

2. When Bella asks Edward to sit out the battle for her, he looks into her eyes for a long time. She sees his eyes "tighten with some emotion I couldn't read" before he picks up the phone to call Alice and make the necessary arrangements. What do you think was going through his mind?

3. Do Edward and Alice really believe the danger from the newborns is as trivial as they say, or are they trying to make Bella feel better?

4. Why do you think Bella feels it’s more like being with the old Jake -- “easy, effortless, as natural as breathing in and out” -- when he is in wolf form?
xXBeSafeXx
Red-Eyed Vampire

Re: Chapter 19 ~ Selfish

Post by xXBeSafeXx »

1. Is it selfish of Bella to ask Edward to sit out the battle, knowing that it will increase the danger to the rest of his family?
In my opinion, yes.
2. When Bella asks Edward to sit out the battle for her, he looks into her eyes for a long time. She sees his eyes "tighten with some emotion I couldn't read" before he picks up the phone to call Alice and make the necessary arrangements. What do you think was going through his mind?
I think he's regretting leaving her in New Moon, and he's upset that she doesn't seem to have regained complete trust in him.

3. Do Edward and Alice really believe the danger from the newborns is as trivial as they say, or are they trying to make Bella feel better?
I think they were trying to make Bella, as well as themselves, feel better and more confident.

4. Why do you think Bella feels it’s more like being with the old Jake -- “easy, effortless, as natural as breathing in and out” -- when he is in wolf form?
I think it has something to do with the fact that he can't talk, but mostly it's the same reason that some people like dogs so much(pardon the comparison), a dog lays its head in your lap and you pet him, and you both enjoy just being together. Its just so uncomplicated. When he's in his wolf form, he doesn't appear to judge her, and there are no hard feelings.
ImageImageImage
Twin--Narnia|Mafia Name--Motor Mouth Alice|EDC, Inc--Bulldozer Trainee
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

1. Yes, I think it is. There are many other werewolves that can protect Bella, and Edward could be there in a flash if she needed help.

2. That maybe he did want to be with Bella, but also wanted to be on the field fighting.

3. I think they are jst doing it for Bella's sake. The newborns can still be trouble.

4. Since he isn't an actual human, who can talk, it must be easier to be by him.
Jublio
Settled in Forks

Post by Jublio »

Yes, but I probably would do the same.

the options, because he probably knew that if he didn't stay with her, she would find a way to the clearing. also he wants her to be safe and the best way to know that is to stay with her and he knew how she reacted when he left her in New Moon.

Both. they know how newborns are so I think they know if they would be dangerous, but they also try to make Bella feel better.

he can't talk, he can't judge her. and dogs/wolves have other instincts than human, so it's just the same reason why some people like dogs for pets. dogs don't judge people, they just like to be with them, to play with them, to comfort them. so it's easier for her.
....::Image::....
thecrimsonrose
Settled in Forks

Post by thecrimsonrose »

yeah a little bit but shes scared she'll lose him
fear for the rest of his family and guilt for leaving her the first time and desire because he wants her so badly
make her feel better but they do also believe they can beat them easily
because its easier to connect with animals?
Didn't Edward tell you how many houses me and Rose wrecked?-Emmett, Breaking Dawn
leahlovetwilight
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by leahlovetwilight »

she knows how it feels to live without edward, and not knowing whether or not he will come back, that would be excruciating. but then, it was only for herself. it was rather selfish.

something along the lines of "how can i leave her like this, but how can i bring her."

DRS. FEELGOOD.

probably for the reason he says. cuz she loved him in that way. at least, she used to.
"when i got home,all my things were in the garage."-edward cullen
he's probably thinking,love sick morons
dcluver04
Settled in Forks

Post by dcluver04 »

1. Is it selfish of Bella to ask Edward to sit out the battle, knowing that it will increase the danger to the rest of his family? No. Bella is in love, not just love, but true love. Sometimes true love can cloud your better judgment. However, the rest of Edward's family is still pretty powerful. With our without him.

A lot. Mostly the thoughts of his one true love, or his family.

They are clearly trying to make her feel better. However, they do not know who is behind the newborns, pulling their strings. So maybe they do believe the danger is trivial.

The wolf form of Jacob can not control himself. This means Bella has to control herself more.
NiCoLeeLoCin
Wandering Through Town

Post by NiCoLeeLoCin »

It depends on how you look at it. Of course it is selfish, but what if you boyfriend/husband is going to fight for war or something, at such point I don't really think you care about being selfish.

I think it was worry. He wants to fight for her, but he doesn't want to make her sad by putting himself to danger, even though he knows he'll be alright if he fights.

I think they did believe the newborns weren't the problem, but the person behind it all. I mean, they weren't a 100% sure it was Victoria right?

Because he isn't speaking and maybe because they are comforting each other.
la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

I actually think it was incredibly selfish, particularly because she was sneaky in getting him to agree to it.

He knew the danger he was possibly putting his family in. Truth? I think this is the biggest sacrifice he ever made for Bella, in all of the saga, because he put her before his 'family'.

I'm pretty sure it's half and half. They were definitely confident because the numbers weren't too terrible, but the power of a bloodthirsty newborn is nothing to mess with.

Because if he's not human, she doesn't have to admit her attraction to him; therefore, he stops being a rival for Edward. I use the term 'rival' loosely, because the love she had for Jacob was never going to measure up to what she held for Edward, but still. Besides, if he's not human, he can't make his boneheaded comments, lol.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
Love
Settled in Forks

Post by Love »

In my opinion, no it was not selfish. If I was Bella, I would probably ask the same thing of Edward. Of course she probably didn't understand at that point that Edward and the Cullens know how to take care of themselves.

Well, I don't have the book with me so I can't read that part, but it would probably just have something to do with both of them. I know that he wants her to be happy, and in Eclipse is when the whole Edward/Jacob stuff was going down.

Well, I am sure they were a little anxious. Obviously they knew someone created the newborns.. They probably had a few worries stacked up on their list. Like the werewolves doing something crazy. But I also bet that they wanted to try to get Bella less stressed out so she didn't breakdown or anything.

Well I'm totally not sure. Something phycological? Lol, don't know. Or maybe because when Jake isn't pissed he seems sweet in his wolf form.
His arms wrapped around me, holding me against him, summer and winter.
It felt like every nerve ending in my body was a live wire.