Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
rain.on.me
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: Chapter 19 ~ Selfish

Post by rain.on.me »

1. Is it selfish of Bella to ask Edward to sit out the battle, knowing that it will increase the danger to the rest of his family?
I would've done the same thing...

2. When Bella asks Edward to sit out the battle for her, he looks into her eyes for a long time. She sees his eyes "tighten with some emotion I couldn't read" before he picks up the phone to call Alice and make the necessary arrangements. What do you think was going through his mind?
Hmm...tough one...

3. Do Edward and Alice really believe the danger from the newborns is as trivial as they say, or are they trying to make Bella feel better?
A mix of both.

4. Why do you think Bella feels it’s more like being with the old Jake -- “easy, effortless, as natural as breathing in and out” -- when he is in wolf form?
Because he can't talk, which means he can't be rude or jerkish.
MissMagnolia
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by MissMagnolia »

1. Is it selfish of Bella to ask Edward to sit out the battle, knowing that it will increase the danger to the rest of his family?
No it isn't selfish. She is still suffering from him leaving her so it is hard for her to let go of him.
2. When Bella asks Edward to sit out the battle for her, he looks into her eyes for a long time. She sees his eyes "tighten with some emotion I couldn't read" before he picks up the phone to call Alice and make the necessary arrangements. What do you think was going through his mind?
He is probably a little hurt that she asked him to leave his family like that, but doesn't want to feel that way because he knows Bella needs to be with him.
3. Do Edward and Alice really believe the danger from the newborns is as trivial as they say, or are they trying to make Bella feel better?
I think they know it will be ok. Alice probably saw the outcome.
4. Why do you think Bella feels it’s more like being with the old Jake -- “easy, effortless, as natural as breathing in and out” -- when he is in wolf form?
It is like a relationship with a pet, so innocent and uncomplicated. I do agree with her that she probably likes him because he can't talk. All she wants from him is to be Old Jake which is easy going.
I_love_Bloodsuckers
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by I_love_Bloodsuckers »

1. Is it selfish of Bella to ask Edward to sit out the battle, knowing that it will increase the danger to the rest of his family? I kind of liked the idea of Bella wanting to hold on to Edward, because she does love him, and she wanted to be 100% sure nothing happened to her Edward, but still, it was a bit selfish, because he was fighting for her protection, it depends on whose perspective you see it through, me, meh I"m neutral.

2. When Bella asks Edward to sit out the battle for her, he looks into her eyes for a long time. She sees his eyes "tighten with some emotion I couldn't read" before he picks up the phone to call Alice and make the necessary arrangements. What do you think was going through his mind? I think he was trying to read her mind, lol, I couldn't tell, maybe he was trying to make sure this was what she wanted, or he was just simply thinking about it.

3. Do Edward and Alice really believe the danger from the newborns is as trivial as they say, or are they trying to make Bella feel better? I'm not sure, because after they fought they said it was a piece of cake, it could have been to just comfort Bella, but it could have been difficult because like they said, newborn vamps can be very strong, so I'm not entitrely positive on that subject.

4. Why do you think Bella feels it’s more like being with the old Jake -- “easy, effortless, as natural as breathing in and out” -- when he is in wolf form? Ha, because he can't talk. xD Haha, no maybe it's because its just easier to connect with him when he's like this, like a pet, or maybe just because it's more like the old Jake, nice, easy-going, and like she put it: her Jake.
-Jen.n
Edward prefers BRUNETTES *Tee-hee*
"How the hell did Mike Newton end up in this conversation?" xP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwvHTfza ... re=related
Stupidshinyvolvowner

Post by Stupidshinyvolvowner »

**I am going to submit my answers before reading those of others so I am not influenced :D

I think so, yet at the same time I can understand why she asked. Sitting, knowing that the man you love was in danger is not easy. And she already knows the heart break of losing him and it would be a thousand times worse if he died. So I get why she asked, but yes, in the strict sense of the word, it was very selfish of her.

And this is why we need the series from Edward's POV. LOL. Okay, I think he was thinking about what she asked him. Bella put Edward in a very difficult position by forcing him to choose between her and his family. I'm sure he was weighing the odds of the danger he'd be putting his family in and the danger he'd be putting Bella in if he left. I'm sure in some way he was also thinking of the damage he did to the relationship the first time he left. There are so many thoughts that he could have had in that span of time!

I think they feel pretty confident once the wolves join the fight. I really don't think Edward would have let his family fight alone if he didn't feel okay with the odds.

Because Jacob can't talk and he is more relaxed. He became so hard and cynical when he found out he was a werewolf. He seemed much more playful in his wolf form.
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

1. Is it selfish of Bella to ask Edward to sit out the battle, knowing that it will increase the danger to the rest of his family? I can understand her pain and horror at the thought of possibly losing Edward again, this time through battle. I think it is a bit selfish; she would leave the family without one of their strongest fighters.

2. When Bella asks Edward to sit out the battle for her, he looks into her eyes for a long time. She sees his eyes "tighten with some emotion I couldn't read" before he picks up the phone to call Alice and make the necessary arrangements. What do you think was going through his mind? Wow, I just don't know. Seriously, this book would be fantastic in Edward's POV!! Edward ALWAYS withholds information from her, never quite telling her the exact truth. I bet he was probably thinking about the months they spent separated and how depressed he was; how he felt when he thought Bella was dead, knowing he couldn't go through that again. He was probably weighing all the options; leave her with Seth by themselves... stay with her... fight with the family?

3. Do Edward and Alice really believe the danger from the newborns is as trivial as they say, or are they trying to make Bella feel better? I think they are trying to make Bella feel better. Jasper told her how wild and bloodthirsty the newborns are, and he told the truth. Bella worries too much, so I think they were trying to ease her fears.

4. Why do you think Bella feels it’s more like being with the old Jake -- “easy, effortless, as natural as breathing in and out” -- when he is in wolf form? I think it's because he can't talk and shoot back at her sarcastically. Here's that "Bella never could quite relate to people" thing again! lol!
Mrs.Cullen1710
Wandering Through Town

Post by Mrs.Cullen1710 »

1. Is it selfish of Bella to ask Edward to sit out the battle, knowing that it will increase the danger to the rest of his family? When I first read that part I did think she was being selfish just letting his family and the wolves fight without Edward. but then I thought about it and remembered how she felt when he left her in New Moon. If I were in her shoes I probably would of done the same thing just so I wouldnt have to go through that pain again.

2. When Bella asks Edward to sit out the battle for her, he looks into her eyes for a long time. She sees his eyes "tighten with some emotion I couldn't read" before he picks up the phone to call Alice and make the necessary arrangements. What do you think was going through his mind? I see him thinking of many things like Will my family be disappointed, angry? I how can I leave her again? If I go will she do something stupid? Will she be hurt if I say no? I can't believe I hurt her so much when I left. etc..

3. Do Edward and Alice really believe the danger from the newborns is as trivial as they say, or are they trying to make Bella feel better?I believed them when they said it would be easy.

4. Why do you think Bella feels it’s more like being with the old Jake -- “easy, effortless, as natural as breathing in and out” -- when he is in wolf form?First he can't talk and He seems to remove his mask when he is in wolf form.
mistytwilight85
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by mistytwilight85 »

Yea I think so. She knows what she is doing is wrong. But then again I'd probably do the same thing. I would fear for the one I love, and I wouldn't be able to bear not knowing if I was going to see them again. Espically if they had left once before and caused so much pain.

He probably realized in that moment exactly how much pain he had put her through when he left in New Moon. The emotion was probably some type of saddness, that he didn't want to hurt Bella again like that again.

I really feel they think it will be fine. With Jasper's abilities and training. Alice's future readings, Edwards ability to hear thought and Emmets strength along with the wolves, I knew it would be fine.

LMAO He can't talk!!!! :mrgreen: :lol: Plus he just shows his emotions when she sees him. Happy go lucky.
KaylaMarieBlack7

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

Kind of. But she knows that he will do whatever he asks of her. And she just wants to make sure that he stays safe.

He probably doesnt want to stay with her. He might think that they can find her faster if he is with her.

I think that they are just trying to make Bella feel better, but at the same time I think that they think they will be able to fight them off with the werewolves there.

Maybe because he always seems to be angry when he is human. She can see the old Jake in the werewolf. Because he wouldnt ever hurt her or anything. idk.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

In a way I can kinda see where she was coming from. She didn't want to loose him again, didn't want to go through that pain of having lost the one she was meant to be with. I'd say she was being selfish, but for all the right reasons.

He didn't want to see anyone he loves get hurt. He wanted to protect them all, but didn't know how.

I think it was to make Bella feel better, they wanted to spare her.

I think it was because human Jake made his feeling more publically known about how he felt about Bella.
xxabbsxx
Settled in Forks

Post by xxabbsxx »

Yes it was, to a small degree, but I would do the same. He did say it was easy enough that someone could sit out after all. Sure, it will increase the danger, but only to a small margin.

I think he was debating about it at first...of course he didn't want to miss the action out on the field, but Bella had a point. I think he was thinking about the period of time in which he left her, and how that hurt her. I think he felt like he owed it to her, plus part of him probably wanted to stay with her as well.

Oh, it's probably much worse than they say, and before the wolves joined, they were probably just trying to make Bella feel better. Once the wolves came though, I'm pretty sure they weren't lying when they said it wouldn't be a big deal.

Because they could be together without complications. I think Bella was partially right about the talking part, because if Jake couldn't talk, it would be a lot harder to have complications. It's almost like a relationship with an actual dog, you can just spend time with it, and it makes you happy. It's effortless.