Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
ClaudiaCullen
Learning to Love Green

Re: Chapter 19 ~ Selfish

Post by ClaudiaCullen »

1. Is it selfish of Bella to ask Edward to sit out the battle, knowing that it will increase the danger to the rest of his family?
yeshh but from what happened in new moon its understandable.
2. When Bella asks Edward to sit out the battle for her, he looks into her eyes for a long time. She sees his eyes "tighten with some emotion I couldn't read" before he picks up the phone to call Alice and make the necessary arrangements. What do you think was going through his mind?
he probably thought if he could bear hurting her again.
3. Do Edward and Alice really believe the danger from the newborns is as trivial as they say, or are they trying to make Bella feel better?
Na they really did believe that. they only always worry about her not themselves.
4. Why do you think Bella feels it’s more like being with the old Jake -- “easy, effortless, as natural as breathing in and out” -- when he is in wolf form?
Because he cant talk.. and theres no tension between them like there is when he's human
3 perfect men
IAN O'SHEA
EDWARD ANTHONY MASEN CULLEN AND JASPER HALE <333
velvet_voice
Learning to Love Green

Post by velvet_voice »

1. Is it selfish of Bella to ask Edward to sit out the battle, knowing that it will increase the danger to the rest of his family?

It is a little selfish but reasonable. From what she expereanced in New Moon when Edward left her it's understandable for her to not stand being without him. She loves him too much and I'm sure Edward would've asked the same from Bella.

2. When Bella asks Edward to sit out the battle for her, he looks into her eyes for a long time. She sees his eyes "tighten with some emotion I couldn't read" before he picks up the phone to call Alice and make the necessary arrangements. What do you think was going through his mind?

I guess he felt guilty for hurting her. He probably hated himself for putting her through all this thinking it's his fault. And he was worried about his family too... he didn't want to let them fight alone afraid he might loose someone.

3. Do Edward and Alice really believe the danger from the newborns is as trivial as they say, or are they trying to make Bella feel better?

I think they were trying to make Bella feel better and ease her worries. But they probably believed it won't be that hard for them to win without any victims.

4. Why do you think Bella feels it’s more like being with the old Jake -- “easy, effortless, as natural as breathing in and out” -- when he is in wolf form?

Maybe it's easier for her to be around him when he is in wolf form because she can show affection to him without directly admitting her love. It's not as complicated and confusing as talking to him and trying to hide her feelings.
"Alice!" Jasper's voice whipped, and then he was right behind her, his hands curling over hers.
She turned her face away from me, into his chest.

E<3B
Riddalyn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Riddalyn »

A little bit selfish. But it's reasonable, really. He kind of had it coming. And he honestly believes that no more danger could come to his family.

I think he was trying to see why he wanted him to hang back, then realizing why, and then regretting it.

Both. I think they're trying to convince themselves, but really think it's kind of true. I think they'd say anything to make Bella feel better, so, that point is a little moot.

He smiles more. He licked her face in a playful fashion. He is a lot less angsty. He can't say anything that will make either of them angry or uncomfortable. He's just playful and cuddly. :)
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
ChristinasHeadache
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by ChristinasHeadache »

Absolutely not. Selfish is doing something for gain. Bella didn't gain anything by asking him to do this. I think its very reasonable, and I would have done exactly the same thing.

I think at that moment he had made his decision. While looking in her eyes he was contemplating leaving her vs. leaving his family.

They did believe it was trivial. They were very confident in their abilities.

Because he is not wearing that bitter mask, and spouting off his mouth things that hurt and upset her.
eliselovesedwardx is my TwiTwin!
E<3B Team Edward, Knight in Shiny Volvo!
WreckingBall Operator in EDC Inc.~Lets break down some houses!~
Jr Staff Supervisor in Wingtear's Non-Veggie Vamp Cafe
Elisa the Spanker in Twilight Mafia

Elisabeth33
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Elisabeth33 »

No, she wants Edward to be safe.

He doesn't want to leave his family, but he knows what will happen if he leaves her.

I think they're trying to make Bella feel better.

He can't kiss her, he can't talk, he can't irritate her.
zoelynn602
Wandering Through Town

Post by zoelynn602 »

a little bit, but i would have done the same thing, Edward means everything to Bella.

I wasn't exactly sure.

They really believed it would be easy.

Because he acts more like himself.
I cannot live in a world where you don't exist...
patricac
Settled in Forks

Post by patricac »

This is a hard one. I think it is selfish of Bella. However, it’s understandable. She wants nothing more than to be with him. Also, it’ll be easier for Edward to protect her if he’s with her.

I think it was a combination of things. Edward wanted to fight, he wanted to be there for his family, he wanted to be there for Bella, and he didn’t want to be away from her.

Again, I think it’s a combination of both. For one, I think they were trying to make Bella feel better. Two, they’re both very confident with their abilities and their capabilities.

In Bella’s experience in New Moon, she saw Jake as a wolf twice and was scared both times. I thought this was an effort to show that Bella was ok with Jake for who he was – wolf or human. It showed the depth of their friendship/bond.
Cookies
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Cookies »

It is, yes. But it only proves further that EC is a gentleman. Its so comedic that all the guys are raring to go and fight. Even Billy Black.

He was probably distracted just staring into her eyes. Nah. Erm, he was probably debating on whether or not to fight in his head, like weighing out the pros and cons.

They're trying to make Bella feel better. We've hearrd that newborns are strong.

Maybe because he can't talk. When he is human, he goes on about the "bloodusckers" and "leeches" which inevitably would make her uncomfortable in his presence at times.
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb ..."

Hug me :)
twilightapple
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilightapple »

yes, if anyone gets killed, the blood in on her hands.

He is thinking how this situation would of been if he never had left her in New Moon.

Probably both. The more you say something out loud, the more you tend to believe it, and the more convient you are about something, the more you suceed at it. They also want Bella to believe it so they she will stop worrying and won't do anything stupid and

He can't speak his mind and the gestures that a dog can offer are only friendly, they can't to anything intimate.
Black Rose
Learning to Love Green

Post by Black Rose »

I thought it was very selfish. It didn't bring much more danger to the rest of the family, but he was still looking forward to the fight. She didn't gain or loose anything by having Edward with her other than having Edward with her.

Edward was debating what Bella would do if he said no. Well, he was probably more testing himself to see if he could refuse her. He failed. Miserablely.

I never thought that the danger was more than they made it out to be. If it had been dangerous, Edward never would have agreed to stay with Bella. No. He would never had made plans to be away from her in the first place.

When Jake is a wolf, there aren't any human emotions to get in the wat of their friendship.