Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Re: Chapter 19 ~ Selfish

Post by golden x sunshine »

1. Is it selfish of Bella to ask Edward to sit out the battle, knowing that it will increase the danger to the rest of his family?
-Yeah, it's pretty selfish, but at the same time if I was in love with someone as much as Bella is in love with Edward and he was going to risk his life, I probably would've asked him to do the same thing, so I can see where shes coming from.

2. When Bella asks Edward to sit out the battle for her, he looks into her eyes for a long time. She sees his eyes "tighten with some emotion I couldn't read" before he picks up the phone to call Alice and make the necessary arrangements. What do you think was going through his mind?
-Edward was probably trying to weigh his options, which is the better choice, or the choice he can live with.

3. Do Edward and Alice really believe the danger from the newborns is as trivial as they say, or are they trying to make Bella feel better?
-It was probably a little of both. They really did believe that with the wolves fighting with them, defeating the newborns would be a piece of cake, but they were trying to make Bella feel better too.

4. Why do you think Bella feels it’s more like being with the old Jake -- “easy, effortless, as natural as breathing in and out” -- when he is in wolf form?
-Because when Jacobs in wolf form, he's not trying to impress Bella or act smooth and try to win her over; hes just regular Jake, Bella's friend.
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
footloose
Learning to Love Green

Post by footloose »

1. Yes and no. She does it for his safety.
2. I think it's because he is torn between protecting Bella and helping his family.
3. Perhaps more to make Bella feel at ease.
4. Because he cannot force himself on her? Or because she does not need to show her feelings for him as a guy? i'm not sure.
eclipserox
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by eclipserox »

1. Is it selfish of Bella to ask Edward to sit out the battle, knowing that it will increase the danger to the rest of his family?
-Yes. However, it's not fair for Edward to want to participate in the battle but forbid Bella from doing the same. Ideally, they both would have participated in the battle in the clearing. That way, Bella would have been a distraction, which Jasper thought would be really helpful. And, Victoria wouldn't have caught Bella, Edward and Seth away from the others. Bella ended up cutting herself in their mini-battle. In the clearing, she would ahve had more people protecting her and maybe wouldn't have been able to do this.

2. When Bella asks Edward to sit out the battle for her, he looks into her eyes for a long time. She sees his eyes "tighten with some emotion I couldn't read" before he picks up the phone to call Alice and make the necessary arrangements. What do you think was going through his mind?
-She's seen him angry and she's seen him protective, so it can't be either of those. I think he was just making a really tough decision and possibly trying to figure out if there was any way to keep Bella away from the battle and still participate.

3. Do Edward and Alice really believe the danger from the newborns is as trivial as they say, or are they trying to make Bella feel better?
-They really believe it. Edward would not have agreed to leave his family to fight alone if he didn't believe they would all survive. Even with Bella, he could have figured something else out-like having Esme, who wasn't a great fighter but was strong enough restrain her or having Carslile sedate her-so that Edward could fight and Bella wouldn't be able to get in trouble.

4. Why do you think Bella feels it’s more like being with the old Jake -- “easy, effortless, as natural as breathing in and out” -- when he is in wolf form?
-Jacob's more careful in wolf form. He has to follow Sam's orders, he can't exactly kiss her, he can't talk-say mean things about Edward.
natterss707
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by natterss707 »

Yeah but at the same time I can't say that I would want the same thing if I were in the same position as her, so I can't really disagree with her decision.

First he was probably trying to read Bella to see what is really necessary. But he was probably deep in thought thinking of whether or not it's possible. Probably fear anger and a bunch of other feelings.

I believe it is as trivial as they say.

Because she doesn't have to deal with him trying to win her over and he can't speak and do stupid stuff and he's just her friend.
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.
VLY
Settled in Forks

Post by VLY »

Yes - she was immature and knew how it would make Edward feel but did it anyway.

It was a difficult choice for him, I believe knowing how much he wanted to join hhis family as well as the potential danger in addition to Bella's reaction/paranoia.
Likely both.

I would say that it's due to it being natural form, which gives her the warmth, comfort, & protection she needs. I am not a Jacob fan so I couldn't see the reason for the connection. It frustrated me throughout Eclipse.
lilmisstrouble
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Isle of Esme. Between feathers and broken headboards.

Post by lilmisstrouble »

1. Is it selfish of Bella to ask Edward to sit out the battle, knowing that it will increase the danger to the rest of his family
Yup, she can be a tad bit passive-aggresive (I don't think selfish really applies to her), but ended up being smart, cause Edward came in handy when Victoria decided to trick them all and show up at camp, huh?
But initially, I was a little annoyed by Bella being that way. It clearly made her resemble Cathy from Wuthering Heights.

I guess I gotta read that part again to fully remember, but I think he still felt guilty for leaving her in New Moon and he was afraid of breaking her heart again. I feel bad for Edward never forgiving himself for that.

Who knows. I hope they honestly felt what they told Bella. Enough of everyone sugarcoating things for Bella. The girl needs - and wants - to grow a pair already!

Maybe because he can't answer her back with little smart remarks? Like she said, he could just sit there and listen, for once. Jacob is not much of a listener. He wants things his way or the highway. The old Jake was less complicated. It's also easier to be less complicated without competition around, so I don't blame him.
"Does my being half-naked bother you?"
Yes, please take the other half off. xoxo

http://www.whatwouldedwardcullendo.blogspot.com
BellsEdwardalways
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by BellsEdwardalways »

Not really, I mean I understand why she thinks it selfish and I guess to a degree it might be but I think that it's hard for her to imagine going through losing Edward again. I know she loves the rest of the Cullens but obviously Edward is the most important because it seems without him there is no her. However, I am so conflicted by saying that because there would be Jacob if Edward hadn't made it out well, maybe. Of course that's all hypothetical as Edward didn't go and fight.

To be honest this is such a difficult question to answer because she's doing it because she couldn't bear to lose him a second time and this time it would have been permanent there's no coming back from the dead. But it seems there wasn't much of an increased danger to the rest of the family since after all they had the werewolves on their side as well. I know that maybe some of what I have been saying may not seem like an answer to the question but it is for me because this is what is making me debate whether it was selfish and how selfish.

Well, I will wrap up my confusing thoughts on this and say that it may have been a little selfish but mostly like I said before it's not selfish. Sorry for the rambling.

I think he was thinking about what she had said about not being able to lose him a second time and the pain that the first time had caused her. Probably, he was also considering how much extra danger his family would be in if he sat out. I mean it really did seem that they weren't going to be in much danger they seemed so confident. But I think he was also thinking about how he did want to be part of the fight too. Also, the possibility of it being Victoria crossing his mind and thinking about how much he would really like to be the one to dispose of her.

But I am probably completely off. I do know that the emotions he was going through were without a doubt very intense or strong.

I think that Edward and Alice do believe the danger of the newborns is trivial especially since the rest of the family relaxed once the werewolves were on their side. I think that before they had more numbers there was a greater danger and then they would have been trying to make Bella feel better. At this point though I think they do believe that the danger is trivial.

Well, not because he can't talk :lol: . I do think it may just be because of the manner of Jacob and also really because the wolf form makes things less complicated. If that makes any sense. Also, she doesn't have to think as much about any extra emotions there may or may not be between the two of them. Once again my answer probably sounds ridiculous but it's the best I can think of at the moment.
http://chelseadawn.webs.com/
Banner by Kimmy. Avatar made by Narnia
Banner by threethings
spiritwolf32
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by spiritwolf32 »

Yes it was. I can understand why she did it but his family and her other friends were out there too. And if nobody stopped the newborns then the whole town would have been in trouble. It turned out to be lucky he was with her though.

I think he was thinking of his family as well as not wanting to miss the fight. And how he didn't want to leave her after he saw what happened to her when he had left before.

I think most of it was so that Bella would feel better. When Bella worries too much she tends to put herself in more danger so they might have been hoping that if she felt better about it then she would not get involved and they end up having to save her then have something go wrong with the fight.

Being with Jake before he turned wolf was something easy to deal with. When he is in his wolf form it is the same way. She can sit beside him and be comfortable without having to admit her feelings for him.
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. Is it selfish of Bella to ask Edward to sit out the battle, knowing that it will increase the danger to the rest of his family? I think it is partially selfish because he should be able to help his family out in the fight.

2. When Bella asks Edward to sit out the battle for her, he looks into her eyes for a long time. She sees his eyes "tighten with some emotion I couldn't read" before he picks up the phone to call Alice and make the necessary arrangements. What do you think was going through his mind?I think he was just debating with himself what is the right thing to do? Bella has told him her feelings and Edward already saw how it hurt when she first thought he wasn't coming back & doesn't want her to go through that again.

3. Do Edward and Alice really believe the danger from the newborns is as trivial as they say, or are they trying to make Bella feel better? At first I though they were just saying that for Bella's benefit. But then I remembered how in Twilight Alice said she would tell Bella the truth (I think it's when they're running from James) So I think that they really believe that it's trivial.

4. Why do you think Bella feels it’s more like being with the old Jake -- “easy, effortless, as natural as breathing in and out” -- when he is in wolf form? Because he's not his Dr Jekyl & Mr Hyde self. You never know what Jake you're going to get when he's human.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
ForJazz926
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by ForJazz926 »

Yes. Not that I don't understand it - but she is obviously doing it just for her, because she can't stand the idea of losing him.

I think it hurts him to think about what he's done to her. He realizes that she is this needy because of what went on in New Moon, and he blames himself. It hurts him that she has such a fear of losing him. It's not like Bella to be selfish, and realizing that the only thing she can't live without is him makes him realize all over again that he made a mistake by leaving. He is probably afraid he has scarred her for life.

I think they are trying to make Bella feel better. With the wolves helping I think they really believe they will win - but they wouldn't be so flip about it if it weren't for Bella. Because no matter how confident they are - they aren't stupid enough to think that playing with each other's lives is trivial.

I think it has something to do with his physical presence as a human. As much as she doesn't want to admit it - she is attracted to him. As a wolf she can pretend he is a dog - a best friend, without the physical attraction. Plus, he can't talk, so he can't sass or pressure her.

Image Image