Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 15 ~ Wager

Post by Alphie »

Thanks to LisaCullenAZ for all her work!

1. Were you surprised at how undiscouraged Jacob remained, despite Bella’s assertions that she loves only Edward?

2. How did you feel about the kiss? Were you shocked like Bella, or did you see it coming?

3. Everyone reacted so differently to the kiss. What did you think about Bella’s reaction? Jacob’s? What about Charlie’s? And how did you think Edward was going to react?

4. Did you feel horror at the news of Jasper and Emmett’s bet, as Bella did?

5. As you read the end of the chapter, what did you think had Bella particularly concerned when she mused, “Was there a human experience I was not willing to give up?”
Sarah-Lynn

Re: Chapter 15 ~ Wager

Post by Sarah-Lynn »

1. Were you surprised at how undiscouraged Jacob remained, despite Bella’s assertions that she loves only Edward? I was a little surprised at Jacob's actions. He realized that legend of imprinting was true, and he had stated earlier that there were aspects of the wolf life that he didn't like- the mind reading, never having privacy; imprinting isn't something that can be helped...it's how you find your mate... I wish that Jacob would have known, or that Bella would have stated that the bond she and Edward shared was much like imprinting is to the wolves... I just felt like Jacob didn't want to accept the way that the wolves find their mates (not having a choice in the matter), so he was trying to force something with Bella.

2. How did you feel about the kiss? Were you shocked like Bella, or did you see it coming? Well, I did see it coming... especially after he almost kissed her in NM... but I was hoping that it wouldn't happen; it complicated things.

3. Everyone reacted so differently to the kiss. What did you think about Bella’s reaction? Jacob’s? What about Charlie’s? And how did you think Edward was going to react? Bella's reaction was great! I was like "way to go!" Jacob's reaction.... ugh, again, why can't he see that Bella was meant for Edward?? He's toooo persuasive... especially since he KNOWS imprinting isn't just a legend! He is just setting himself up to hurt Bella and be hurt later. Charlie's reaction- well, it's clear that he preferred Jacob over Edward. That 'good for you kid' comment bothered me; I dunno; maybe Charlie liked the idea of 2 guys fighting for his daughter. Edward's reaction- I was glad that Edward warned Jacob against bringing Bella back damaged!! lol!

4. Did you feel horror at the news of Jasper and Emmett’s bet, as Bella did? Horror isn't the right word- that's too strong. I felt that it was just a silly bet between Em and Jazz.

5. As you read the end of the chapter, what did you think had Bella particularly concerned when she mused, “Was there a human experience I was not willing to give up?” Ahhh, yes, I figured that she would want to have sex with Edward before she was changed. I believe that was a reasonable thing to want. I think she was justified in worrying about that part of her life. She wanted to feel as connected to him as possible before becoming like him. They had told her so many stories of the newborns and how her life would change after the transformation, that she had a right to be worried about not wanting him afterwards, or having to wait a year until the thirst subsided.
deliabookworm
Settled in Forks

Post by deliabookworm »

1. Were you surprised at how undiscouraged Jacob remained, despite Bella’s assertions that she loves only Edward?
Not at all. He'll always love Bella (at least during the first three...grrr), and he knows that Bella will love him as well, in a way. So why should he give up trying to win her?

2. How did you feel about the kiss? Were you shocked like Bella, or did you see it coming?
I saw it coming, I was longing for a Bella/Jacob kiss since Alice came back in New Moon. I knew what Jacob was thinking when Edward heard his thoughts in the beginning of chapter 14, that he was going to tell Bella how much he loved her.

3. Everyone reacted so differently to the kiss. What did you think about Bella’s reaction? Jacob’s? What about Charlie’s? And how did you think Edward was going to react?
I crack up every time I read this chapter, all because of Bella and Charlie's reactions. I just want to shoot Charlie for how nonchalant he was about Bella's feelings being violated. And Bella being so mad was very charming :) , though I don't think she should have excepted Jacob's ride back. I knew Edward wouldn't hurt Jacob, but i expected him to make some sort of threat.

Not at all, I just wonder what they bet on.

5. As you read the end of the chapter, what did you think had Bella particularly concerned when she mused, “Was there a human experience I was not willing to give up?”
To be honest, I sort of skipped over that part when I first read Eclipse, because I read it in like two hours. I got what she meant the instant I got to "Compromise" though.
Time passes. Even when it seems impossible. Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise. It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
New Moon

Team Jacob
trhmllr
Learning to Love Green

Post by trhmllr »

First off I love this chapter. It is funny. I love Bella's reaction. How she punched him and all the guys reactions!!

Jacob is Jacob. He is a teenaged boy who is in "love". He is going to do whatever it takes to prove his love to Bella. Even if it ticks her off. I was not surprised by him kissing her. It is something he would do. He should understand her feelings about Edward. She needs to explain to him it is like imprinting is for his kind (like someone answered before me). But then again he is a cocky teenaged boy!!

I did see it coming. She should have too. I knew they would kiss at some point and I knew it would be Jake that kissed her.

I LOVED THE REACTIONS. Bella's reaction was to be expected. I would do the same if a guy kissed me and I didn't want to be kissed. Jacob's was Jacob. He didn't see anything wrong with what he did. Charlie clearly prefers Jacob, so of course he would be okay with it. Edward showed more restraint than I thought. I love how he said if Jake did it again he would break his jaw... unless she asked... and what he said about returning her in a less than perfect way he left he in.

No they are always making bets... It is natural to them and Bella is always a source of humor to them. They weren't being hateful to her, they just know what it is like for a newborn!

5. As you read the end of the chapter, what did you think had Bella particularly concerned when she mused, “Was there a human experience I was not willing to give up?
Of course I knew what she meant!!! She knew she would be different when she changed. She knew she would be blood thirsty. She didn't know if she would feel the same about Edward, because of her thirst. So of course she would want to have sex with him for the first time before she changed. THat way she could "feel" it in a human way. And she can experience it before she wants to kill everything.
ImageImage
la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

Ugh, no. Jacob always had a weird sense of confidence when it came to Bella. I think it actually bordered on disrespectful to Bella and was definitely disrespectful to the relationship Bella and Edward had. Whether you approve or not, you should respect another person's relationship choices. Personally, that kind of thing would have turned me off and I wouldn't have wanted to be around Jake if he couldn't respect my relationship.

Saw it coming. Bah.

Everyone reacted the way I thought they would, except Charlie.

I thought it was pretty terrible, but that they had a point. Bella's so stubborn and unreasonable sometimes, I could see where they were getting their thoughts from.

I'm pretty sure she was referring to the actions that generally take place in the context of a honeymoon. ahahaha.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
Stacia

Post by Stacia »

1. Were you surprised at how un-discouraged Jacob remained, despite Bella’s assertions that she loves only Edward?
Yes & No. He's persistent that's for sure.

I did see it coming. I figured it would come with the conversation. I'm surprised Bella didn't see it coming though.

Bella's reaction was appropriate. Charlie kinda irritated me. I know that he is rooting for Jacob and Bella to get together but if his daughter *broke* her hand punching the guy who kissed her...wouldn't that maybe raise a red flag in Charlie's brain? It should have! I liked Edward's reaction. Protective..

Not really. I kinda thought it was funny, actually.

I didn't really think anything of it at the time. After re-reading the books, I thought different but the first time round...not really. She was willing to give up on everything she had experienced thus far...there were things she hadn't yet experienced that she wasn't able to determine if she could them up.
BuffytheVampireLover
Location: Miami during the school year, Boston for the in betweens

Post by BuffytheVampireLover »

Definitely not. Jacob was so confident that he was right about Bella, it was to the point of being cocky. I think he was hoping that she was so insistent because she was trying to convince herself rather than him, which turned out to not be entirely incorrect.

I think I was a little shocked that he actually went for it, even though I knew he wanted to. I figured that he'd at least do that like 'lean in to create the moment then see if she pulls away before going for it" type of thing. But looking back on it, Jacob is the kind of guy to just cut off a girl with a kiss, so I guess I wasn't really surprised in retrospect.

The reactions to the kiss is one of my favorite scenes from the entire saga.
  • Bella:I don't normally relate to Bella because I'm so much more outgoing and bold about things, but her reaction was almost exactly what I would do. Besides the punch, which made my day all on its own, I loved all the comments she kept making in response to Jacob. She's definitely the angry kitten that is VERY sure it's a tiger in this part (if you've read MS, you'll know what I'm talking about :))

Jacob: I couldn't believe how, even after she punched him, threatened him with death in 18 different ways, and told Edward on him, he STILL insisted that she loved him too and that she wanted.

Charlie: I thought he would be much angrier with Jacob than he was, but he's always favored Jacob so I was totally surprised. I'm a little annoyed because if Edward did something like this, Charlie would've thrown him in a cell.

Edward: I figured it would take Emmett and Jasper holding him back not to rip Jacob's head off right there. It surprised me how outwardly calm it ended up being. Hehe, I loved this: "I won't kill you right now, because it would upset Bella."

More like mild indignation. Human death is something both of them have learned to deal with as a part of life, so I'm not entirely surprised they're so casual about it.

Especially given the conversation about sex in Twilight, I knew what she was talking about. However, I didn't think that she would actually insist on it because vampires can have sex too.
*Jenny*

"Why don't you try to dig a little deeper and find a bigger set of balls, because you're going to need them."

Hey Jacob, 'I told you so' has a twin brother; his name is 'shut the hell up'.

sarah_cullen
Settled in Forks

Post by sarah_cullen »

-Surprised no. Annoyed, yes.

- Again, saw it coming, but didn't want it to happen. Forgive me, I'm not a romantic Jacob fan. His immaturity just turned me off. Yet I understand his importance as a character and understand/respect people who are huge Jacob fans. Just not my cup of tea. :)

- Go, Bella! Ouch! I'm colored by my "un"-preference for Jacob; of course he would react the way he did. Charlie goes from protecting the Cullen's from gossip to being a typical over-protective (haha, if he only knew at first...) father. I wished he wasn't so ra-ra Jacob though. Why push your teenage daughter into a relationship she doesn't want to be involved in? I expected violence from Edward, but was glad that a fight didn't happen. Imagine what that would've done to Bella (in fact, I think that is what Edward was considering and why he did not react physically).

- I mean, typical Jasper and Emmett. Not to downplay violence and death, but vampires are natural predators. Both Jasper and Emmett have killed in the past- they see this as part of "their" world.

- Romantic persuasions. You know she's thinking about "it".
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by darkrider »

it amused me. i was just waiting for edward to punch jake's face in. at least then..it wasn't bella doing it willingly.....YET >= [
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

1. No. Jacob, from the begining, had tons of pride, to me. So he wouldn't give up on her.

2. I saw something somewhat "intimate" coming.

3. I thought Edward would be fine with it. Jacob would be very happy, and Bella would be so-so. Charlie, on the other hand, may be happy that Jacob is still friends with Bella.

4. No. They seem to bet a lot.

5. I knew what she meant. She wanted a special "honeymoon", as a human.